Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do you think She-Ra is better than He-Man?

Power wise I would say they are even. But, when looking at strength of character She-Ra beats He-Man hands down. There is just so much more to her story. She went through a great deal more trauma and hardship than He-Man, in order to find herself and her powers. She came from darkness into light. I read an artical a few years ago that was looking at a similar issue between Hercules and Xena.

The paragraph at the end the artical just spoke volumes to me about parallels that could be drawn to He-Man and She-Ra. Putting this text into the context of MOTU it would read something like this. He-Man is an example of the hero we all hope is out there, the saviour we all want to believe in!
    She-Ra represents the hero we hope is within us all! One who makes the choices necessary to change their destany and find the strength within: to ultemately save them self!

I really don't like the question do I think She-Ra is better than He-Man. I prefer to look at it another way. When together they were just unbeatable!!!!!!!
    Their abilities totally complemented each other. They were partners in battle, equals in every way. There was never a power struggle between the twins, so why do we have to create one?

Maybe the question should be Who is stronger than He-Man and She-Ra when they stand together?
    Last edited by Angel-T; June 14, 2008 at 08:42pm.
    PRO CLASSIC POP TOY DESIGN ELEMENTS BEING USED IN MOTUC TO COMPLEMENT THE FILMATION DESIGNS!!!!

I FULLY SUPPORT THE INCLUSION OF ILLUMINA IN MOTUC!!!!!

IF YOUR SICK OF WAITING FOR A LIGHT TO APPEAR AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL, STRIDE DOWN THERE AND LIGHT THE BLOODY THING YOURSELF!!!!!!!

To use a gaming term, I'd say She-Ra's powers are broken. With that Silly Putty sword of hers, a flying steed, healing powers, telepathic links with most if not all of the animals of Whispering Woods and access to two castles that contain great power, she probably didn't even need He-Man half of the time he showed up. Yes, She-Ra does have a very rich background and went through more than Adam did growing up. Personally, I'd like to think she was brainwashed instead of being tricked by Shadow Weaver.

As far as stuff like that goes, I'd look at He-Man like a blank slate. He's ready to have a mell of a hess dumped in his lap. He's got the potential to fall from grace and have the audience feel much more sympathy for him than She-Ra would. I only say that because of her ties to the Horde even if they weren't intentional. As far as them being unbeatable, that'd be too predictable and become very old very quick. If the Council of Evil, the Horde and the Snake Men all organized their efforts; they should be able to give the Grayskull Twins a run for their money. Albeit enough of a run where they'd need the Sorceress and maybe some help from Light Hope or Teela (with her Warrior Goddess powers realized) to bail them out.
    I make my own MOTU video game stuff. Check it out.

dA - wallbie.deviantart.com
    YouTube - http://www.youtube.com/user/wallbieswarriors
    Daily Motion - http://www.dailymotion.com/wallbie#video=x14o6e4

I don't quite get what you mean? Her sword was identical to He-Mans sword. The only difference was a light blue gem in the lower blade.
    PRO CLASSIC POP TOY DESIGN ELEMENTS BEING USED IN MOTUC TO COMPLEMENT THE FILMATION DESIGNS!!!!

IF YOUR SICK OF WAITING FOR A LIGHT TO APPEAR AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL, STRIDE DOWN THERE AND LIGHT THE BLOODY THING YOURSELF!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Angel-T View Post
    I don't quite get what you mean? Her sword was identical to He-Mans sword. The only difference was a light blue gem in the lower blade.
    Did He-Man say "sword to shield" or "sword to battle axe?" That's what I'm talking about. Yes, for design purposes they were the same sword with hers only having the gem variation. I'm talking about all the different tools and appliances She-Ra changed her sword into. It could turn into a rope, shield, parachute, rebreather helmet, space helmet, boomerang (a bit redundant when He-Man used his sword as a boomerang without it changing structure), and a blanket among quite a few other things I'm sure I've left out.

All she's got to do is tell her sword to turn into something and her problem at hand is essentially fixed. If she can turn her weapon into so much stuff, I find it funny she never gave "sword to anti-Horde SCUD missile that-won't-harm-us-rebels" a shot. Her sword was basically a Green Lantern ring that didn't have the drawback of needing to be recharged or not having an effect on anything yellow.

Court Magician Raider of Shadows's Avatar
    I actually have more nostalgia for She-Ra because, although I wanted to see He-man when I was younger, I didn't get to see much of his show. And I did have this one video with a bunch of stuff including "The Crystal Castle" on it. Hence, the music, the transformation and some of the characters left a longer memory.

I still feel a little more connected to the He-man characters (that I remember) though.
    -Finding Nemo Auditions-
    Hordak of Despondos reading for the part of Dori the Fish, Take 1:

*AHEM* I shall call him squishy and he...will be MINE!

Quote Originally Posted by wallbie View Post
    Did He-Man say "sword to shield" or "sword to battle axe?" That's what I'm talking about. Yes, for design purposes they were the same sword with hers only having the gem variation. I'm talking about all the different tools and appliances She-Ra changed her sword into. It could turn into a rope, shield, parachute, rebreather helmet, space helmet, boomerang (a bit redundant when He-Man used his sword as a boomerang without it changing structure), and a blanket among quite a few other things I'm sure I've left out.

All she's got to do is tell her sword to turn into something and her problem at hand is essentially fixed. If she can turn her weapon into so much stuff, I find it funny she never gave "sword to anti-Horde SCUD missile that-won't-harm-us-rebels" a shot. Her sword was basically a Green Lantern ring that didn't have the drawback of needing to be recharged or not having an effect on anything yellow.

Who's to say the sword of power couldn't do the same! We just never saw He-Man command the sword to change shape. The sword of protection also had its drawbacks. If the gem was damaged, it could be put out of action. I agree it was used as a get out of jail free card many times. However, when the power was not available, Adora proved herself to be just as strong, brave, agile etc as She-Ra. She had to reach the Crystal Castle and the cave of the First Ones to restore the sword. We never saw He-Man totally striped of his power Sword and have cope with it for a whole episode.
    Last edited by Angel-T; June 11, 2008 at 01:11pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Angel-T View Post
    The sword of protection also had its drawbacks. If the gem was damaged, it could be put out of action. I agree it was used as a get out of jail free card many times. However, when the power was not available, Adora proved herself to be just as strong, brave, agile etc as She-Ra. She had to reach the Crystal Castle and the cave of the First Ones to restore the sword. We never saw He-Man totally striped of his power Sword and have cope with it for a whole episode.
    Chock Adora's abilities up to her Horde training. While Adam was fishing, she was kicking the crap out of her future allies. As far as restoring the sword, I don't know who did it first, but Thundercats had two episodes where the Sword of Omens was broken. Of course, Lion-O had to get it repaired. Instead of going up like Adora did, he went down into the mouth of a volcano and came closer to getting himself killed than Adora did.

I like what Emiliano did with his Homecoming comic and said the Sword of Power was essentially useless when He-Man came back to Eternia. I'd say that would be true when New Adventures started. I know She-Ra was on another planet, but maybe the Tri-Solar galaxy is so far away from Eternia that the Power of Grayskull couldn't make it over there. Also, I could see being in the future effecting that power as well. That's probably why the only thing from Eternia that ever made it over to Primus (from what I've seen of Volume 1) were the Sorceress' telepathic messages. That could lead into an explanation that maybe when he made it to Primus as He-Man, Sebrian had to create a new sword for Adam that wasn't quite as powerful. Call it an artificial Power of Grayskull, if you will. We already know from the mini-comics that Skeletor found out He-Man's secret identity at the moment of their departure.

Besides, let's say Etheria is in the same galaxy as Eternia (I can't remember if they were "sister" planets or not) my theory about distance could hold water since both He-Man and She-Ra got power from Grayskull on that planet.

Anyway, I'm sorry that I'm starting to ramble. I'll just say this, I do agree that both He-Man and She-Ra are equals as far as strength is concerned. Filmation had a bit of trouble from what I saw in communicating that. I translated it into my created wrestlers for MOTU and Thundercats I made a year ago on "SmackDown! Here Comes the Pain." When I've finished with everyone, both characters' overall attributes will be at 86. I've got He-Man maxed out on Strength and She-Ra maxed out on Endurance. That seems like a pretty fair trade. I think the only other character who is either equal to them or close is Mumm-Ra. I don't know, I'm still working on it. When I'm finished with that, I'll have to get a fourth memory card and create an all MOTU game and an all Thundercats game.

Right now, I'm focused on getting all the information down on how to recreate each character because the data on the memory card is corrupt. I want a back up plan just in case my my memory card goes kaput. Besides, once I figure out how to properly resize the pictures I took of my TV with the digital camera for the ORG's file size limits, I'm going to do my damnedest to move my CAW threads back from the Fanfic forums and onto the Fanart forums where they belong.

Yep, went off on a tangent again.

Peace.

Quote Originally Posted by Mer-Man's Minion View Post
    It's not pointless, POP is better than MOTU.
    I agree! The Pop cartoon is more interesting then the Motu cartoon.
    For the toys ,instead, were intended for girls,so a for a boy was difficult (and imbaressing) to play with them.

And by the way,we have have so many threads pointless in this forum,so what's the problem?
    The gleam of the Power Sword lights your way as you enter the fantastic world of Eternia...

lol, nice poll. there are just different. i prefere She-Ra episodes because she has more friends with special powers, like glimmer, angela, frosta, mermista, pefuma, peek-a-blue. in the he-man show, he was almost always the center of attention. she-ra was more friendly. but I also love MOTU series.

Court Magician
    The only thing I hate about POP being aimed at girls is that I, as a male, would get laughed at for enjoying it. I think it can appeal to girls and boys, it just so happens that the lead is a woman, big deal. It's still a superior cartoon, and superior to He-Man in terms of storyline, continuity, character development and music.
    Skeletor to King Randor, Skeletor to King Randor....come in you royal BOOB!

She-ra definitely had better storytelling and despite some areas being bright and colorful, it was quite bleak. As bleak as an 80s cartoon would allow.

Court Magician
    Quote Originally Posted by Akai View Post
    She-ra definitely had better storytelling and despite some areas being bright and colorful, it was quite bleak. As bleak as an 80s cartoon would allow.
    Guess that teaches kids that not everything in life is cute and cuddly
    Skeletor to King Randor, Skeletor to King Randor....come in you royal BOOB!

"Oh dearie my!" Mer-Man's Minion's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kobra Kahn View Post
    The only thing I hate about POP being aimed at girls is that I, as a male, would get laughed at for enjoying it.
    And that is thanks to our ridiculous, outdated western Patriarchal society. It sucks that we guys are ridiculed for liking anything feminine.

Quote Originally Posted by Kobra Kahn View Post
    I think it can appeal to girls and boys, it just so happens that the lead is a woman, big deal. It's still a superior cartoon, and superior to He-Man in terms of storyline, continuity, character development and music.
    Agreed!
    Muppet fans, if you like Janice of The Electric Mayhem, check out: Janice: "Fer sure!"

Supreme Sorceress Queen Grayskull's Avatar
    I like He-Man much more than She-Ra. He was always my favourite and that will probably never change. I liked his appearance in some episodes of the She-Ra cartoon series and like the fact that She-Ra's abilities are more varied than He-Man's are, but He-Man is the hero I like most forever! He was the idol of my childhood! To me, She-Ra will always be a spin-off character and female version of He-Man that was once concepted for girls only - just like He-Man was made for boys.

Heroic Warrior Eternian-King Paul's Avatar
    In my work.. and in my mind, He-Man and She-Ra are quite balenced.

He-Man says 'I have the Power!' - She-Ra says 'I am the Power!'

First they fight eachother ..then they work together to fight local area problems.

Heroic Warrior
    She-ra was at least as strong as He-man, and had more powers.

She-ra probably destroyed He-man's popularity because she made him seem not so special.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from iOS app

Quote Originally Posted by dura_grip View Post
    She-ra was at least as strong as He-man, and had more powers.

She-ra probably destroyed He-man's popularity because she made him seem not so special.
    Not even close. Horde Prime Takes a holiday establishes that He-Man is stronger than She-r, she-ra has more abilities, but in terms of power - he-man is stronger.

She-Ra DID destroy he-man's popularity, but not because she made him seem not special, but because they stopped production on MOTU shows for She-ra shows, thinking boys would tune in to see he-man on occassion.

Don't get me wrong, I like she-ra, I like the potential of the brand, but the show...when it was good it was great, but for me it was weaker more than it was strong, and cheesier than the cheesiest MOTU episode (save for The Greatest Show on Eternia!!) personally I found they went too far witht he sap, like the friendship and love wins over this and that morals. great lessons but She-ra episodes REALLY pushed the sap. Anyway don't get me wrong I like the show it just feels smaller than MOTU for me.

He-man had better designed main characters - most of the rebellion were 80s aerobic instructors. in MOTU I personally felt they had more at stake, sure Randor was in control of Eternia, but if He-Man lost, the world changes. Skeletor wasn't the only threat, Eternia was an important planet - attracting several offworld threats (hell even hordak wanted it) He-Man had his hands more full. She-ra lead a rebellion and they were safe in the whispering woods for the most part, if she-ra lost the only change is they go back to how life was before the secret of the sword...not a major change.

}One issue though, She-ra had the luxury of coming AFTER he-man so writers have a better voice in mind, esp since this series was spinning off the established universe. but still in my opinion he-man had a stronger fantasy feel, whereas she-ra was more light fantasy/fairytale setting.

at the end of the day it's mainly subjective. but for me MOTU is stronger and i think it resonated more witht he masses overall because of that strength.
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

Heroic Warrior
    She-ra was designed by Filmation to be better. They pretty much cannibalized He-man and the Masters of the Universe to create She-ra POP. In poker this is called going all-in.

Filmation gave She-ra a great, moving origin story, a more powerful villain, a better sword, a companion who could fly, another castle, more spectacular transformation sequence, better music, more powers, and most likely greater physical strength.

Heroic Warrior
    Production wise I'd say She-Ra was a superior cartoon on all fronts.

Heroic Warrior
    I knew She-ra was going to be better than He-man when the Sorceress gave Adam the "Sword of Protection" to take to Adora and he commented, "Besides this jewel, this sword looks exactly like mine."

It implied to me that She-ra would have the same strength as He-man, plus more power on top of that----supplied by the added gem.