Page 1 of 36 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Weekend Box Office Thread

Weekend Box Office Thread

I thought I’d start a weekend movie box office thread. I’ve always been fascinated by the box office and sometimes I like commenting/posting on results, but I don’t always like getting into the spoiler world of individual movie threads. Here are the box office estimates from boxofficemojo.com for this past weekend:

1. Kung Fu Panda $60 million
    2. You Don’t Mess with Zohan $40 million
    3. Indiana Jones $22.8 million
    4. Sex & the City $21.3 million
    5. The Strangers $9.3 million

I was expecting Kung Fu Panda to win this weekend and Indiana Jones (drop 49% from last week) to beat out Sex (drop 62.6% from last week) due to stronger matinees. I think The Incredible Hulk will win easily next week, but I wonder about its legs. The Happening is the only other major movie opening next week.

The number two movie looks rather dull. I'm not even sure what it is about. The only thing I remember from the previews were "smell my feet." Not overly exciting in my book.

What is the total for Indy? Anyone know? Is it doing well?
    Obey the whip!

Smile like you mean it.

Quote Originally Posted by Divia View Post
    The number two movie looks rather dull. I'm not even sure what it is about. The only thing I remember from the previews were "smell my feet." Not overly exciting in my book.

What is the total for Indy? Anyone know? Is it doing well?
    Indy has made $253 million so far, second only to Iron Man's $289 million for the year. Iron Man got 6th place this weekend with $7.5 million.

According to Yahoo movies, Indy is at $253,026,000
    All time box office (US) is about #43, just above Tim Burton's Batman. It's doing good.

Excellent.

I havent seen it, I want to but havent gone.
    Obey the whip!

Smile like you mean it.

It's a fun movie, and I'm glad to see Indy make up its production budget back almost twice. Just remember to see it through the eyes of your younger self, and you'll have a great time.
    ...and I'm spent...

Mandola [my band!]

Kung Fu Panda is no surprise at the top. It's an awesome movie.

HAAAAAAAAAPPYYYYYYYY..... Prince Adam's Dad's Avatar
    Very few movies are about having legs anymore. Move movies are made (or broken) by opening weekend box office.
    Got Man-E-Faces, Give 'em Whiplash when I Battle-Cats

Skeletors evil colorist Predabot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Money$hot View Post
    It's a fun movie, and I'm glad to see Indy make up its production budget back almost twice. Just remember to see it through the eyes of your younger self, and you'll have a great time.
    I did, and I had and EXCELLENT time!

The only movie so far this year that I have enjoyed as much as Iron Man.

Kung Fu Panda was great! Looking forward to Hulk this Friday!
    This space for rent, apparently.....

Heroic Warrior of Avion
    Different strokes for different folks, I guess, since I hated the Indy movie

The previews for Kung Fu Panda looked pretty funny and actually made me want to see it, so I might sometime. It's getting pretty solid reviews over on Rotten Tomatoes too. I thought the animation looked beautiful-- it caught my eye much more so than Wall-E, which doesn't interest me in the slightest.

There is no way I'd ever see the Zohan film since I can't stand Adam Sandler, so that's pretty much an immediate no. But I do still need to see Iron Man, since Jon has assured me that it doesn't contain the cheesiness of Spider-Man 2 (bleh).

I guess the movies I'm looking forward to now are Hancock, Dark Knight and possibly Hellboy II.

--Leanne

Quote Originally Posted by StratosMacca View Post
    Different strokes for different folks, I guess, since I hated the Indy movie

The previews for Kung Fu Panda looked pretty funny and actually made me want to see it, so I might sometime. It's getting pretty solid reviews over on Rotten Tomatoes too. I thought the animation looked beautiful-- it caught my eye much more so than Wall-E, which doesn't interest me in the slightest.

There is no way I'd ever see the Zohan film since I can't stand Adam Sandler, so that's pretty much an immediate no. But I do still need to see Iron Man, since Jon has assured me that it doesn't contain the cheesiness of Spider-Man 2 (bleh).

I guess the movies I'm looking forward to now are Hancock, Dark Knight and possibly Hellboy II.

--Leanne
    I hated Indy 4 as well.

Kung Fu Panda is a lot of fun, and for the love of God, SEE IRON MAN!!!!

--Leanne
    You should definitely see Iron Man. It was fantastic.

As for Zohan... I used to really like Adam Sandler. Billy Madison, Happy Gilmore, and Big Daddy amuse me to no end. But there is no way in hell I could see this movie. That and the Love Guru movie look to be equally ridiculous, but not in the good way.

But, I'm pretty out of touch with the average movie-goer. I'm used to not understanding why movies that look absolutely asinine to me are popular and movies I loved fail miserably.
    Bill :: guitargod694

But I do still need to see Iron Man, since Jon has assured me that it doesn't contain the cheesiness of Spider-Man 2 (bleh).
    --Leanne
    It's so much better than Spider-Man 2. You won't be disappointed.

Heroic Warrior of Avion
    Quote Originally Posted by Skullface View Post
    I hated Indy 4 as well.
    Yay! It's nice to know I'm not alone in this!

Kung Fu Panda is a lot of fun, and for the love of God, SEE IRON MAN!!!!
    LOL, yeah, it's next on my list. Rod and I made a pact because I want to see Iron Man but he has no interest in it (or only very slightly, anyway), yet he wants to see the new Hulk movie when it comes out, which I have no interest in... So I told him that I would see Hulk with him if he sees Iron Man with me. We even shook on it!

So Iron Man is next... after he takes me to see Sex & the City tomorrow for my birthday

--Leanne

LOL, yeah, it's next on my list. Rod and I made a pact because I want to see Iron Man but he has no interest in it (or only very slightly, anyway), yet he wants to see the new Hulk movie when it comes out, which I have no interest in... So I told him that I would see Hulk with him if he sees Iron Man with me. We even shook on it!
    Hells to the yes! I'm more excited than I should be for the Hulk film. Ed Norton, Liv Tyler, and the Hulk all in one film? Sold! And Aspen just rolls her eyes. "The Hulk is so stupid," she says. "The Hulk is not interesting," she says. "HULK SMASH!" I say as I push her on to the couch and pretend to pummel her with my fists.

I really don't understand what she has against the Hulk...
    Bill :: guitargod694

I must also add to the comments about seeing Iron Man! I strongly feel it will prove to be one of the best films of 2008! I havn't even seen Hulk yet and I bet it blows it away! (I think Hulk will be good but not as good as Iron Man!)

Master of New Adventures!
    Quote Originally Posted by krugos View Post
    According to Yahoo movies, Indy is at $253,026,000
    All time box office (US) is about #43, just above Tim Burton's Batman. It's doing good.
    True, as far as that goes. But that's U.S. box office. Worldwide, through 6/8, Indy grossed $579 million. Of course that's just box office. We could all live very nicely for more than a few years just on the price paid by, say, Lego for the right to do the video game or Burger King for the right to license those little give-away toys to the kiddies.

Everyone's screaming about four bucks for a gallon of gas, but there's half a billion to spend on going to a movie. We're through the looking glass, people.

Colors make you happy! Rainbow Brite's Avatar
    I didn't hate Indy 4, but it just didn't compare to the original 3 in my opinion. Karen Allen kept giving me the impression that she hadn't done any acting since the 80's...even if that's not the case. Which was disappointing, because I loved her in Raiders of the Lost Ark and Starman. I can't quite put my finger on why I didn't love the movie...I just know I didn't.

Iron Man ROCKED. Totally can't wait to see Hulk.

He-Man.org Forum Admin TheShadow's Avatar
    I am waiting for June 20th with Get Smart vs the Love Guru and I hope Get Smart takes its shoe phone and destroys that horrid mess that Mike Myers is pushing!

Just released 10/6/2013: EPISODE 55 of Masters Cast!
    The He-Man & She-Ra Podcast at www.masterscast.com

Quote Originally Posted by BCI Guy View Post
    It's so much better than Spider-Man 2. You won't be disappointed.
    Agreed, we have seen it twice so far. To me its on par with Spiderman 1 and even better imho, the only other movie I can think was this good in the superhero genre would be Batman Begins

To date this year Iron Man would have be the best movie released, that may change in July when the Dark Knight hits, Robert Downey Jr was just amazing
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback

Kung Fu Panda was SOOOOOO much fun! I didn't expect it to be as good as it was. I'm usually a little let down by the dreamworks flicks, I tend to enjoy them enough to say it was ok, but KFP really made me walk away satisfied.

we'll most likely see a sequel so I hope they keep up the good work (and give the furious five - esp Master Monkey, more lines and a showcase)

Iron Man was great, best Marvel movie to date IMO.
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

Yay! It's nice to know I'm not alone in this!
    Now, you guys can be alone together.
    If Jack Bauer was on Lost, everything would have been solved in 24 hours!

If Jack Bauer was on Heroes, he wouldn't need to save the cheerleader to save the world.

Heroic Warrior
    I will have to go see Kung Fu Panda soon, it looks so cute.

Everytime Adam Sandler makes another movie, I die a little inside. His movies remind me of the stuff I find on public toilet seats...

Quote Originally Posted by krosfyah View Post
    we'll most likely see a sequel so I hope they keep up the good work (and give the furious five - esp Master Monkey, more lines and a showcase)
    I'd be surprised if we saw a sequel. I wouldn't mind one, but after the bomb of Flushed Away, Dreamworks is playing it safe now, and it'll need to bring in BIG $$$ to consider another one. Like over $200 million domestically. Don't think that'll happen with Panda, unfortunately.....

At least we're finally getting Madagascar 2 this November......