Thread: Weekend Box Office Thread

Hybrid View

Weekend Box Office Thread

I thought I’d start a weekend movie box office thread. I’ve always been fascinated by the box office and sometimes I like commenting/posting on results, but I don’t always like getting into the spoiler world of individual movie threads. Here are the box office estimates from boxofficemojo.com for this past weekend:

1. Kung Fu Panda $60 million
    2. You Don’t Mess with Zohan $40 million
    3. Indiana Jones $22.8 million
    4. Sex & the City $21.3 million
    5. The Strangers $9.3 million

I was expecting Kung Fu Panda to win this weekend and Indiana Jones (drop 49% from last week) to beat out Sex (drop 62.6% from last week) due to stronger matinees. I think The Incredible Hulk will win easily next week, but I wonder about its legs. The Happening is the only other major movie opening next week.

The number two movie looks rather dull. I'm not even sure what it is about. The only thing I remember from the previews were "smell my feet." Not overly exciting in my book.

What is the total for Indy? Anyone know? Is it doing well?
    Obey the whip!

Smile like you mean it.

Quote Originally Posted by Divia View Post
    The number two movie looks rather dull. I'm not even sure what it is about. The only thing I remember from the previews were "smell my feet." Not overly exciting in my book.

What is the total for Indy? Anyone know? Is it doing well?
    Indy has made $253 million so far, second only to Iron Man's $289 million for the year. Iron Man got 6th place this weekend with $7.5 million.

According to Yahoo movies, Indy is at $253,026,000
    All time box office (US) is about #43, just above Tim Burton's Batman. It's doing good.

Excellent.

I havent seen it, I want to but havent gone.
    Obey the whip!

Smile like you mean it.

It's a fun movie, and I'm glad to see Indy make up its production budget back almost twice. Just remember to see it through the eyes of your younger self, and you'll have a great time.
    ...and I'm spent...

Mandola [my band!]

Kung Fu Panda is no surprise at the top. It's an awesome movie.

Skeletors evil colorist Predabot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Money$hot View Post
    It's a fun movie, and I'm glad to see Indy make up its production budget back almost twice. Just remember to see it through the eyes of your younger self, and you'll have a great time.
    I did, and I had and EXCELLENT time!

The only movie so far this year that I have enjoyed as much as Iron Man.

Master of New Adventures!
    Quote Originally Posted by krugos View Post
    According to Yahoo movies, Indy is at $253,026,000
    All time box office (US) is about #43, just above Tim Burton's Batman. It's doing good.
    True, as far as that goes. But that's U.S. box office. Worldwide, through 6/8, Indy grossed $579 million. Of course that's just box office. We could all live very nicely for more than a few years just on the price paid by, say, Lego for the right to do the video game or Burger King for the right to license those little give-away toys to the kiddies.

Everyone's screaming about four bucks for a gallon of gas, but there's half a billion to spend on going to a movie. We're through the looking glass, people.

Colors make you happy! Rainbow Brite's Avatar
    I didn't hate Indy 4, but it just didn't compare to the original 3 in my opinion. Karen Allen kept giving me the impression that she hadn't done any acting since the 80's...even if that's not the case. Which was disappointing, because I loved her in Raiders of the Lost Ark and Starman. I can't quite put my finger on why I didn't love the movie...I just know I didn't.

Iron Man ROCKED. Totally can't wait to see Hulk.

He-Man.org Forum Admin TheShadow's Avatar
    I am waiting for June 20th with Get Smart vs the Love Guru and I hope Get Smart takes its shoe phone and destroys that horrid mess that Mike Myers is pushing!

Just released 10/6/2013: EPISODE 55 of Masters Cast!
    The He-Man & She-Ra Podcast at www.masterscast.com

The top two did some disappointing numbers this weekend, but MI did pretty good in limited release (expands more this week).

Box office for 12/16-12/18:

1 Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows $39,637,079
    2 Alvin and the Chipmunks: Chipwrecked $23,244,744
    3 Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol $12,785,204
    4 New Year's Eve $7,310,413 -$24,716,167
    5 The Sitter Fox $4,608,681 -$17,929,987
    6 The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn Part 1 $4,197,893 -$266,327,974
    7 Hugo $3,707,848 -$39,155,709
    8 Arthur Christmas Sony $3,554,286 -$38,501,631
    9 The Muppets BV $3,520,926 -$70,994,571
    10 Young Adult $3,403,159

Greatful his pants are on bskcase's Avatar
    I caught Sherlock Holmes and it was a great film. They kept the spirit and excitement of the first one and it was a great story.
    We survived the long night.... MOTU Forever!

I think they advertised Sherlock Holmes wrong, most people knew there would be banter between Holmes and Watson but none of the trailers/ads shows the movie is about Holmes vs Moriarty

Other than that I am super glad Chipmunks did not do as well, I do not like the live action versions of the characters and wish they would go back to being animated like they had been for decades
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback

For the weekend box office for Dec. 23-25, Mission Impossible takes the number 1 spot, while the three new movies fizzle at the 4-6 spots. I'm not a fan of Tintin's animation style.

1 Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol $26,535,000 -$58,970,000
    2 Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows $17,800,000 -$76,554,000
    3 Alvin and the Chipmunks: Chipwrecked $13,325,000 -$50,265,000
    4 The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (2011) $13,000,000 -$21,400,000
    5 The Adventures of Tintin $9,125,000 -$17,132,000
    6 We Bought a Zoo $7,800,000
    7 New Year's Eve $3,005,000 -$32,342,000
    8 Arthur Christmas $2,700,000 -$44,200,000
    9 The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn Part 1 $2,100,000 -$270,900,000
    10 Hugo $2,025,000 -$43,652,000

Jeez, Tintin did that badly? A Spielberg movie that looks that much fun?! Geesh. I only haven't seen it because I've been busy with the holiday this weekend, but come hell or high water I'm gonna see it tomorrow! I know War Horse is going to have an uphill battle though as everyone I mention that to gets all spineless about it and afraid of seeing any harm come to horses in the movie. Geesh times ten! Honestly cannot stand Tom Cruise enough to see another Mission: Impossible--and Brad Bird is dead to me until he makes a worthy Incredibles sequel (not really).

Quote Originally Posted by gbagok View Post
    Jeez, Tintin did that badly? A Spielberg movie that looks that much fun?! Geesh. I only haven't seen it because I've been busy with the holiday this weekend, but come hell or high water I'm gonna see it tomorrow! I know War Horse is going to have an uphill battle though as everyone I mention that to gets all spineless about it and afraid of seeing any harm come to horses in the movie. Geesh times ten! Honestly cannot stand Tom Cruise enough to see another Mission: Impossible--and Brad Bird is dead to me until he makes a worthy Incredibles sequel (not really).
    Tintin should hopefully do pretty well in the worldwide box office. Tintin is great. It's America's loss.