Page 2 of 36 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Weekend Box Office Thread

Friday box office estimates from Boxofficemojo:

1. THE INCREDIBLE HULK: 21 mil
    2. THE HAPPENING: 12.8 mil
    3. KUNG FU PANDA: 10 mil
    4. YOU DON'T MESS WITH THE ZOHAN: 5.4 mil
    5. INDIANA JONES AND THE KINGDOM OF THE CRYSTAL SKULL: 3.7 mil

It looks like The Incredible Hulk may make around what the first movie made in 2003 for its opening weekend. The first movie had a horrible drop after the first weekend due to poor word of mouth, so hopefully this one will have better legs.

It's about whats FAIR! King Hsss's Avatar
    I waned to go see the Happening this weekend, but no theaters around my area have it in. BUMMER!
    In nomine Patris. Requiescat in Pace

I'm really shocked about the zohan movie. Even in the previews it didnt look funny.
    Obey the whip!

Smile like you mean it.

Weekend estimates for June 13-15, from Nielsen EDI:

1. The Incredible Hulk 54.5 mil
    2. Kung Fu Panda 34.3 mil (118 total)
    3. The Happening 30.5 mil
    4. Zohan 16.4 mil (68.8 total)
    5. Indiana Jones 13.6 mil (275.3 total)

The original Hulk movie made $62.1 million opening weekend, but fell fast afterwards.

Did the last Hulk movie do well? I thought it had mixed reviews and that for some reason it didnt make as much money as people though. Maybe I'm not remembering correctly but I thought a lot of people were shocked that a Hulk 2 was being made.
    Obey the whip!

Smile like you mean it.

The first one (The Hulk) made $132.2 mil domestically which was a disappointment. The Hulk has a 61% Rotten Tomatoes rating with the critics compared to the new one's 64%, so they are actually pretty similar in that regard. The Incredible Hulk is more action oriented and seems to have a better word of mouth from the general public, so some people think it will do better over the long run than the first one. I'm not surprised they made a new one, but I figured they'd wait a few more years before restarting the franchise to get the old one out of people's minds.

Get Smart wins, Love Guru bombed (thank god), and Hulk is hanging in there (barely got beat out for #2). I think it will surpass the 2003 version unless its pushed out, but having Love Guru bomb means it will last longer since there will be an open spot as that movie is shipped to the $1 theatres rather quickly.

Of course I suspect Wall-E is going to obliterate everything next week, I know my whole family is going to see it

1. Get Smart 39.2m
    2. Kung Fu Panda $21.7m ($155.6m)
    3. Incredible Hulk $21.6m ($96.5m)
    4. Love Guru $14m
    5. The Happening $10m ($50.3m)

Also EW reporting Iron Man passed $300m (Way to go Iron Man!)

And speaking of hits, Iron Man became the year's first film to cross the $300 mil domestic mark when it did so last Thursday. Robert Downey Jr.'s Marvel movie has now earned $304.8 mil in eight weeks, and it's likely to finish the summer in a dead heat with Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, which has brought in $290.8 mil in five frames. Not bad, eh? I mean, at the start of the season, who saw that coming?
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback

I was expecting Get Smart to win the weekend. Love Guru really tanked. I hate seeing The Incredible Hulk drop over 60%. Kung Fu Panda is hanging on really good, but yeah, Wall-E is going to steal some of its thunder and be number 1 next week.

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    Wall-E is going to steal some of its thunder and be number 1 next week.
    Followed by Wanted at #2......
    This space for rent, apparently.....

He-Man.org Forum Admin TheShadow's Avatar
    I am so happy Love Guru tanked. I was getting wicked sick of seeing the advertising for it non-stop.

I saw Get Smart today and loved it! It had enough throw backs to the tv series to keep me happy. Leagues and leagues above the dribble that was Bewitched that I had to sit through a few years back.

I have absolutely no interest in Wall-E.

Just released 10/6/2013: EPISODE 55 of Masters Cast!
    The He-Man & She-Ra Podcast at www.masterscast.com

Just got back from taking my son to see WALL-E, and it was fabulous! I was really skeptical, with the first half of the movie having almost no dialog, but it worked perfectly. Highly recommended!

Anyone think it'll break the Spidey 3 opening weekend record?

Heroic Warrior of Avion
    Doesn't Hancock come out this week (or is it next week)? I want to see that one but I have no idea when that's going to happen now... Looks like I'm going to be super busy from now 'til SDCC and beyond! But it's a good kind of busy

I still have absolutely no interest in Wall-E. I don't know why. It just looks boring and unappealing to me... which is odd, because normally I really love Pixar films

Still haven't see Iron Man either (sorry, guys). Or Hulk. Sigh. I am slackin'.

--Leanne

Quote Originally Posted by StratosMacca View Post
    Doesn't Hancock come out this week (or is it next week)? I want to see that one but I have no idea when that's going to happen now... Looks like I'm going to be super busy from now 'til SDCC and beyond! But it's a good kind of busy

I still have absolutely no interest in Wall-E. I don't know why. It just looks boring and unappealing to me... which is odd, because normally I really love Pixar films

Still haven't see Iron Man either (sorry, guys). Or Hulk. Sigh. I am slackin'.

--Leanne
    Hancock comes out on Wednesday, 7/2....

Friday estimates from boxofficemojo.com:

1. Wall-E $23.3 million
    2. Wanted $18.8 million
    3. Get Smart $6.6 million
    4. Kung Fu Panda $3.5 million
    5. The Incredible Hulk $2.8 million

Wanted had a pretty strong No. 2 start.

Quote Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post

I saw Get Smart today and loved it! It had enough throw backs to the tv series to keep me happy. Leagues and leagues above the dribble that was Bewitched that I had to sit through a few years back.
    I'm SOOOO glad to hear that, I haven't seen Get Smart yet but I recall you being REALLY upset about what was being reported about the movie last year. Those things got to me too so to know you loved is a great sign.
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

Weekend estimates for June 27-29, from Nielsen EDI:

1. Wall-E 62.5 mil
    2. Wanted 51.1 mil
    3. Get Smart 20 mil (77.3)
    4. Kung Fu Panda 11.8 mil (179.3)
    5. The Incredible Hulk 9.2 mil (115.5)

Wall-E takes first, but not earth shattering numbers. The R-rated Wanted debuts with better than expected numbers. It was a really good weekend for the box office. Hancock will easily be No. 1 next week.
    Last edited by Firefly; June 29, 2008 at 12:20pm.

Wall-E takes first, but not earth shattering numbers.
    Depends on what your expectations were.

$8 million less than Incredibles (2004),$2 million more than CARS (2006) and $15 million more than Ratatouilles (2007) opening weekend so it has reversed the big trend of Pixar movies opening less and less with each iteration!

Good numbers for Hulk, word of mouth is keeping it going and now its just $20-25m shy of surpassing the grand total of Lee's Hulk
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Right now, it is behind Finding Nemo and The Incredibles and very close with Monsters, Inc. depending on final tallies for 3rd or 4th best opening weekend for a Pixar release. Earth shattering to me would be to break the Pixar record or to break a June release record. It is a really good opening, though. I would guess it will have Kung Fu Panda percentage like drops each week.

I would guess it will have Kung Fu Panda percentage like drops each week.
    I think it will stick around longer than Kung Fu Panda though (most Pixar films last 2-3x longer than their Dreamworks counterparts), especially with the excellent word of mouth its getting (I saw three reviews on TV last night that said it was one of the best films of the year hands-down)

Does anyone know what the budget was, I know most Pixar movies are between $90 million - $150 million on the super high end

According to Box Office Mojo, Wall-E's production budget was $180 million and Kung Fu Panda's was $130 million. Kung Fu is only dropping around 40% a week, so that is a good percentage drop for any movie. The Incredible Hulk is dropping about 60% each week which is a number movie companies aren't usually happy with.

According to Box Office Mojo, Wall-E's production budget was $180 million and Kung Fu Panda's was $130 million. Kung Fu is only dropping around 40% a week, so that is a good percentage drop for any movie. The Incredible Hulk is dropping about 60% each week which is a number movie companies aren't usually happy with.
    I would think if the Hulk surpasses its Lee version that would be considered a success (not on Iron Man levels though) because of the ill will Lee's version caused among a large majority of the audience and critics. Then again when inflation is factored in its no real victory

I was surprised by Wanted's weekend take, that movie was not on my radar until last month when I saw a trailer for it in front of Indiana Jones, till then I had never even heard of it.

Weekend Box Office for July 4-6 from boxofficemojo:

1. Hancock $66 mil ($107.3)
    2. Wall-E $33.4 mil ($128.1)
    3. Wanted $20.6 mil ($90.8)
    4. Get Smart $11.1 mil ($98.1)
    5. Kung Fu Panda $7.5 mil ($193.4)

6-10

6. Incredible Hulk $4.9m ($124.9m)
    7. Indiana Jones 4 $3.9m ($306.5m)
    8. Kitt Kittredge $3.6m ($6.1m)
    9. Sex and the City $2.3m ($144.8m)
    10. You Don't Mess with the Zohan $2m ($94.7m)

The Incredible Hulk is now $8m from the 2003 version ($132m), should pass it at least by the end of the month

As for 1-5, Wall-E did not drop off as bad as I thought it might (only a 47% drop) and Wanted is doing extremely well.

Nielsen EDI weekend box office for July 11-13 (in millions):

1 HELLBOY II: THE GOLDEN ARMY 35.9
    2 HANCOCK 33.0 (165.0)
    3 JOURNEY TO THE CENTER... 20.6
    4 WALL-E 18.5 (162.8)
    5 WANTED 11.6 (112.0)
    6 GET SMART 7.11 (111.5)
    7 MEET DAVE 5.3
    8 KUNG FU PANDA 4.30 (202.0)
    9 KIT KITTREDGE: AMERICAN GIRL.. 2.4 (11.0)
    10 INDIANA JONES AND THE KINGDOM 2.25 (310.5)

I'm glad to see Hellboy 2 take number 1 with two other flicks opening and Hancock in its second week. I'm also glad to see hardly anyone saw Meet Dave.

The Dark Knight will put up huge numbers next week.

Wow Journey to the Center of the Earth actually made more than I thought it would.

That is interesting to see Indy 4 finish higher than Hulk when Hulk had been leading it most of the week in daily sales, it was $4m away from the Lee version as of Friday (about $20m away globally) but the impressive thing about the 07 Hulk was it will tie or surpass the 03 version much faster.

Lee's Hulk was in release for 17 weeks in order to reach $132m, Incredible has been in release just about 5 weeks to reach $128-130m. Even account for rise in ticket prices and inflation that is still pretty impressive to have gotten to that point 3x faster