Quote Originally Posted by Divia View Post
Dude GWTW Rocks!!!

No it may not have speical effects n all that stuff, but its a great story that has survived all these years. That says something. Its been around for 69 years. And while Batman has been around a long time, will the same be said about his movie? Will it have the same emotional attachment and wow factor that GWTW has or the first SW?

Fine don't count inflation, but dont simply disregard a movie because its old, and thats kinda the vibe I"m getting..well thats all there was out there so it can't be that good.
Oh heck, it's an amazing movie, don't get me wrong. It's one of the very first to define what it means to be an epic movie, even as a drama. I'm just saying that the quality of the movie aside, there are still a lot of factors that will dictate the amount of money it can make.

Heck, if it came out today for the very first time, but played out exactly the same way as it did when it first got released, would it still make over a $1million domestic? The quality of the movie, story, and acting would be equal, but if it makes much less, then there would HAVE to be other factors in how much money it made back then.

Heck, case in point, look at E.T. I consider it to be one of the best sci-fi movies ever made, and made tons of money when it was first released. It was rereleased a few years back, and it barely made anything in the theaters. Some of that could be that people have seen it already, sure, but there was a lot more to it than that.

Anyway, GWtW is an incredible movie, and I agree, it will probably be remembered long after Dark Knight is forgotten as just another summer blockbuster, but if that same movie was released for the first time nowadays, I highly doubt it would be considered quite the masterpiece or talked about as long after as it had by coming out when it did.

And it managed that because, among other things, it was one of the first of its kind (particularly in the quality of its storytelling), and because the market wasn't saturated with similar movies. It had the freedom to make its mark the way it did. But with all that said, it's still an incredible movie as far as I'm concerned.