Page 4 of 36 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Weekend Box Office Thread

As of Tuesday's receipts, Dark Knight is up to $333,929,159 US. That puts it at #16 all-time, right behind Spider-Man 3, and just above Forrest Gump. When Wednesday's receipts come in, it should move up to #14, passing Spidey 3 & Finding Nemo, and be just short of The Two Towers.

With it grossing $20 million just from Monday & Tuesday, that's about on par with my original estimate of it doing about $35-$40 million M-Th. Should be at about $350 million going into the weekend, where it'll fall just short of $400 million. It'll hit that by Tuesday next week. $500 million by the end of August.
    Last edited by Skullface; July 31, 2008 at 01:11am.
    This space for rent, apparently.....

You dont think it will lose steam?
    Obey the whip!

Smile like you mean it.

August 1-3 box office in millions from box office mojo:

1. The Dark Knight 43.8 (394.9)
    2. The Mummy 42.5
    3. Step Brothers 16.3 (63.0)
    4. Mamma Mia 13.1 (88.0)
    5. Journey to the Center...6.9 (73.1)
    6. Swing Vote 6.3
    7. Hancock 5.2 (216.0)
    8. Wall-E 4.7 (204.2)
    9. X-Files 3.4 (17.1)
    10. Space Chimps 2.8 (22.1)

well, i hope x-files makes it's money back at least. I have not seen, but heard it isn't all that great.
    If Jack Bauer was on Lost, everything would have been solved in 24 hours!

If Jack Bauer was on Heroes, he wouldn't need to save the cheerleader to save the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    August 1-3 box office in millions from box office mojo:

1. The Dark Knight 43.8 (394.9)
    2. The Mummy 42.5
    Dark Knight made more than I thought (I figured it would be about 37-39k and Mummy made more than it should
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by hijinio View Post
    well, i hope x-files makes it's money back at least. I have not seen, but heard it isn't all that great.
    Its production budget was 30 million, so with overseas and DVD sales, yeah, it should. I doubt there will be another one, though.

I thought Mummy would have a strong opening weekend. I do predict a steep drop off with the bad reviews and word of mouth it is getting.

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    I thought Mummy would have a strong opening weekend. I do predict a steep drop off with the bad reviews and word of mouth it is getting.
    I am reading they expected it to make $50m, I think word of mouth killed that and I agree it will drop off heavily because several people in our showing left about 2/3 the way in (they were either bored or wanted to do something else I guess)
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Badass with a bottle Drunken Fist's Avatar
    The Dark Knight is one of the biggest things hurting the new Mummy movie's box ofice, apparently. I went with my girlfriend last night to see TDK for the third time, and the theatre is still packed. A guy I talked to who works there said that they had sold close to twice as many tickets that weekend for TDK as they had for the Mummy! It looks like more people might have gone to see the movie if the DK option wasn't there, as they're aimed at about the same target audience.

Dark Knight will hit $400 million tomorrow, and pass Spider-Man Tuesday to grab the #7 all-time spot. I'm guessing it'll do about $20-$25 million during the week, and maybe $25-$30 million next weekend, which should put it around $440-$450 million and #3 all-time by next Monday. It won't pass Star Wars and be #2 all-time until sometime late next week....

It'll still hit $500 million around the end of the month.....
    This space for rent, apparently.....

Quote Originally Posted by Skullface View Post
    Dark Knight will hit $400 million tomorrow, and pass Spider-Man Tuesday to grab the #7 all-time spot. I'm guessing it'll do about $20-$25 million during the week, and maybe $25-$30 million next weekend, which should put it around $440-$450 million and #3 all-time by next Monday. It won't pass Star Wars and be #2 all-time until sometime late next week....

It'll still hit $500 million around the end of the month.....
    Pirates 3 still has the all-time film opening for a week, right? The reason I'm asking is because GTA 4 has the all-time biggest week opening in entertainment ($500K)... was wondering if TDK beat that record, but it looks like it isn't going to.
    If Jack Bauer was on Lost, everything would have been solved in 24 hours!

If Jack Bauer was on Heroes, he wouldn't need to save the cheerleader to save the world.

Top 10

1. Dark Knight (for 4th straight week) $26 ($441m LTD)
    2. Pineapple Express $22.4m
    3. Mummy Tomb of the Dragon Emperor $16.8m
    4. Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants 2 $10.8m
    5. Step Brothers $8.9m
    6. Mamma Mia $8.08m
    7. Journey to the Center of the Earth $4.85m
    8. Hancock $3.3m
    9. Swing Vote $3.1m
    10. Wall-E $3m

Dark Knight should surpass $500m sometime in the next 2 weeks, now #3 movie of all time, $20m from #2

Wall-E has surpassed Ratatouille but still $30m behind CARS, currently ranked 6th highest PIXAR film out of 9 released

Mummy had a massive 60% drop but added theaters and should easily surpass $100m

Co-Creator of the NV
    Quote Originally Posted by hijinio View Post
    Pirates 3 still has the all-time film opening for a week, right? The reason I'm asking is because GTA 4 has the all-time biggest week opening in entertainment ($500K)... was wondering if TDK beat that record, but it looks like it isn't going to.
    No, TDK beat Pirates in pretty much every measurable way. It holds the biggest weekend gross as well the top 3 to 10 day grosses.

However, TDK isn't anywhere near the all-time entertainment day record which GTA4 has totally dominated at 310M and then made 500M for its first week. Even if it breaks the 500M mark, I don't think TDK will reach GTA4 since GTA4 is likely well past 500M now.

Yeah, but why would anyone compare a movie to a game? Movie tickets are what 10 bucks? How much does GTAIV cost? 50 or 60 bucks? Not exactly apples to apples.

Co-Creator of the NV
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad2dbone View Post
    Yeah, but why would anyone compare a movie to a game? Movie tickets are what 10 bucks? How much does GTAIV cost? 50 or 60 bucks? Not exactly apples to apples.
    In all fairness, none of the comparions make much sense outside of movies in the same year or at least close to the same year. It doesn't make sense to compare TDK to Titanic when you consider inflation, but people do it anyways, so I figure we should just have fun looking at the big numbers

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Latveria View Post
    In all fairness, none of the comparions make much sense outside of movies in the same year or at least close to the same year. It doesn't make sense to compare TDK to Titanic when you consider inflation, but people do it anyways, so I figure we should just have fun looking at the big numbers
    I agree, regardless of inflation TDK is still making a large amount of money and 4 weeks in a row at #1 is pretty impressive for any movie during the summer.

$500m is still $500m though, so its great that Superhero movies are doing so well given the joke genre it used to be in the past relegated to TV movies/shows or not even good enough for direct to video (Nick Fury Agent of Shield with David Hasslehoff comes to mind)

so have we passed Titanic yet?

I'm glad it killed Pirates. That just gives me a warm fuzzy feeling inside
    Obey the whip!

Smile like you mean it.

Nah, I don't think it will ever surpass Titanic.

Here's The Dark Knight

http://boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=darkknight.htm

and Titanic

http://boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=titanic.htm

Co-Creator of the NV
    Quote Originally Posted by Divia View Post

No.. I doubt it'll be in theatres long enough to beat titanic given it's supposed dvd/blu-ray release date.

Heroic Warrior
    No.. I doubt it'll be in theatres long enough to beat titanic given it's supposed dvd/blu-ray release date.

when is that?
    HOOS HOOS HOOS HOOS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Co-Creator of the NV
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoosfn View Post
    when is that?
    I think that someone here (was it markatisu?) said it would be in either October or November.

I hate titanic I so want it to fall.

That makes sense. I'd release it in Nov for the holiday shopping season.
    Obey the whip!

Smile like you mean it.

Quote Originally Posted by Divia View Post

I would love it to beat Titanic. #2 alltime is still amazing! But if it dosn't it certainly has far exceeded expectations! And how cool is it to have 2 superhero movies in the top 10 for the year? (Iron Man, TDK)

The Dark Knight is the first movie to be No. 1 at the box office four weeks in a row since the last Lord of the Rings movie. I look for it to get knocked off the No. 1 spot next week since Star Wars: Clone Wars and Tropic Thunder open up.

I think that someone here (was it markatisu?) said it would be in either October or November.
    Yes originally it was intended to be released near Black Friday (day after Thanksgiving) or around Christmas

However the solicitation has not went out yet to retailers so it "may" have been pushed back to capitalize on theater sales. Titanic was delayed on home video to capitalize on the Academy Awards and give it some anticipation, I can easily see the same with TDK

Now this is just a rant on my end towards some the things i have been reading in the papers:

It would be ridiculous to pull a movie from the theaters when its still selling like it is, WB originally said they expected it to get to $500m, they revised that this weekend and said they expect it to top out at $520m

But I think that is complete crap, it will stay in theaters until nobody wants to see it any longer and as long as it is pulling at least $10-15k a weekend its going to stay a main attraction

It could very well top $600m despite what most people want to believe just because the legs on the movie are similar to Titanic

Its only been out for 24 days and is playing in 4025 theaters as of yesterday, most of the next 6 movies on the Top 10 list are playing in almost 1000 theaters less! (only the Mummy is playing in 3700 theaters)

Keep in mind Iron Man has been running for 15 weeks and Indiana Jones has been 12 weeks, the way analysts are talking they will boot TDK out of the theaters before it gets to 8 or 10?!?

So to tell me its going to hit $520m in a few weeks and then drop off the face of the earth so that it can be released on home video for no real reason is just retarded, this movie specifically does not need the bonus of a holiday to sell because it is not an impulse buy. If anything the success delays it till closer to Christmas which would be a far better time to put it out

It will lose #1 next week because of Clone Wars, that much is almost a guarantee but it will still finish highly with the Mummy dropping and the remainder of the Top 10 not making much noise

He-Man.org Forum Admin TheShadow's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by markatisu View Post
    It will lose #1 next week because of Clone Wars, that much is almost a guarantee but it will still finish highly with the Mummy dropping and the remainder of the Top 10 not making much noise
    Clone Wars is an guarantee? Really? Because it looks like crud I understand it is Star Wars... but it's animated. I haven't even seen an ad for it running on Nickelodeon (or any other station I watch). I would have assumed that Tropic Thunder is going to beat out Clone Wars. Not that I am going to see either of them anyway though.

Just released 10/6/2013: EPISODE 55 of Masters Cast!
    The He-Man & She-Ra Podcast at www.masterscast.com