Page 13 of 36 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: Weekend Box Office Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Divia View Post
    WTH is up about? It has an old guy and some fat kid in a cub scout outfit. I have no idea what it is from the trailers.
    Without spoiling too much

Basically its the story of a old man whose wife passes away and he lives alone, he decides to leave the world behind and take his house with him via helium ballons. Right before an over-eager fat boyscout tries to help him to get his "Assisting the Elderly" badge and is stuck on the porch when the house takes off. The house heads towards South America and the adventures follow

the theatrical trailers are pretty self explanatory, the tv ones not so much.
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback

My wife really wants to see drag me to hell, so I will be seeing that in the next couple of days
    Contact me if you have MOTU Merchandise Items for sale or trade! Please view a sampling of what I am looking for Here:
    http://photobucket.com/albums/v400/j...ase%20Contact/
    http://photobucket.com/albums/v400/j...need%20Europe/

No surprise that Up took the top spot. Drag Me To Hell looks good but unfortunately I was spoiled as to the story and twist. Sounds awesome though and can't wait to see it, albeit on dvd though.

The movie season is too crowded now that is why Terminator Salvation is not doing as well as it probably would. Too much competition. Even Night at the Museum 2 is starting to tail off. There is no big releases until Transformers in a few weeks except some comedies so we will see if many of the current releases have legs.

Star Trek is still raking it in and really captured the feel of a true summer blockbuster. Even Wolverine is still chugging along. Despite the online leak, I think the box office results are pretty impressive for it.

Evil fears the Knight mattnotis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by vkatphish View Post
    No surprise that Up took the top spot. Drag Me To Hell looks good but unfortunately I was spoiled as to the story and twist. Sounds awesome though and can't wait to see it, albeit on dvd though.

The movie season is too crowded now that is why Terminator Salvation is not doing as well as it probably would. Too much competition. Even Night at the Museum 2 is starting to tail off. There is no big releases until Transformers in a few weeks except some comedies so we will see if many of the current releases have legs.

Star Trek is still raking it in and really captured the feel of a true summer blockbuster. Even Wolverine is still chugging along. Despite the online leak, I think the box office results are pretty impressive for it.
    See it in theaters if at all possible. Sound is a big part of the movie and watching it in anything but a proper theater isn't going to be as great.
    Wabawalawoo!!!

Weekend box office for June 5-7 in millions:

1 UP 44.2 (137.3)
    2 THE HANGOVER 43.3
    3 LAND OF THE LOST 19.5
    4 NIGHT AT THE MUSEUM: BATTLE... 14.7 (127.3)
    5 STAR TREK 8.4 (222.8)
    6 TERMINATOR SALVATION 8.2 (105.5)
    7 DRAG ME TO HELL 7.3 (28.5)
    8 ANGELS & DEMONS 6.5 (116.1)
    9 MY LIFE IN RUINS 3.2
    10 DANCE FLICK 2.0 (22.7)

The Hangover has a big debut, while Land of the Lost bombs. I think Land of the Lost probably had trouble finding its target audience. It didn't know if it wanted to be a family movie or a typical Will Farrell one. By being a little more faith to the series (like having kids instead of co-workers with Farrell's character), it probably could have done much better.

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    The Hangover has a big debut, while Land of the Lost bombs. I think Land of the Lost probably had trouble finding its target audience. It didn't know if it wanted to be a family movie or a typical Will Farrell one. By being a little more faith to the series (like having kids instead of co-workers with Farrell's character), it probably could have done much better.
    Land of the Lost definitely was not a kids movie with its writing and use of language

Not surprising though, I think there was like 5 other people when we went to see it on a busy Saturday. I still do not know what its target audience is because the trailers and tv spots are far more tame then the actual movie (which features sexual innuendo, drug references, and really adult language).

UP is doing very well, its going to be more like Finding Nemo and Incredibles then it is CARS and Wall-E.
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

The theater place I went to had a good crowd for it, but they were playing it in a smaller one and only on one screen. They did a pretty good job of predicting things because they had The Hangover playing on two screens. A couple people with their kids looked like they walked out around the time Danny McBride's character debuted in the film (naked souvenirs). I thought Land of the Lost was a good popcorn flick, but it definitely had a lot of adult humor.

Terminator Salvation seems to be doing good overseas. This helps its potential sequel opportunities.
    http://www.variety.com/article/VR111...goryId=19&cs=1

The Cerebral Assassin hhhelmsley's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by markatisu View Post
    Without spoiling too much

Basically its the story of a old man whose wife passes away and he lives alone, he decides to leave the world behind and take his house with him via helium ballons. Right before an over-eager fat boyscout tries to help him to get his "Assisting the Elderly" badge and is stuck on the porch when the house takes off. The house heads towards South America and the adventures follow

the theatrical trailers are pretty self explanatory, the tv ones not so much.
    Great "looking" movie, but sad.

Too bad about land of the lost I am looking forward to seeing it. Was planning on going wed., still am.
    Contact me if you have MOTU Merchandise Items for sale or trade! Please view a sampling of what I am looking for Here:
    http://photobucket.com/albums/v400/j...ase%20Contact/
    http://photobucket.com/albums/v400/j...need%20Europe/

Supreme Fudge Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    I guess Land of the Lost is turning out to be this year's Speed Racer. Not a good sign for movies based on old children's TV series.

I find it funny that The Hangover made more than twice as much as Land of the Lost. I guess my wife and I made the same choice a lot of people made for those two. We were debating between which of these two movies we should see, and we ended up going with The Hangover.

It was pretty funny. It wasn't great, but it was entertaining overall.

Leela: "What's the secret of time travel doing on Fry's ass?"
    Fry: "It was bound to be somewhere!"

Thanks again for the news, Firefly.

Up is holding well. I thought the Hangover would be #1 but Up takes it. It definitely seems like the family movie winner this early summer season. Hey, the numbers The Hangover pulled in are damn impressive though regardless of being #2 this week.

It's a shame about Land of the Lost. I want to go see it but I agree with everyone else in that the film itself is not sure of what it really is. Either a slapstick comedy or an adventure film. The property is not that well known, at least not to the crowd it was being marketed to, and Will Ferrell's name alone did not assure box office success. But it has Danny McBride so I have to see it (That's Kenny Powers to you!).

Quote Originally Posted by vkatphish View Post
    The property is not that well known, at least not to the crowd it was being marketed to, and Will Ferrell's name alone did not assure box office success. But it has Danny McBride so I have to see it (That's Kenny Powers to you!).
    If you like Danny McBride you are going to LOVE Land of the Lost

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamo of Eternia View Post
    I guess Land of the Lost is turning out to be this year's Speed Racer. Not a good sign for movies based on old children's TV series.
    Hmm, interesting observation. It reminds me of back in the 90s when they started making all those movies based on old TV shows after The Brady Bunch did so well, but they started making movies based on properties that were too old like The Honeymooners or ones that weren't very well-known like McHale's Navy and they bombed. (Well, most of them weren't good anyway.) I think Speed Racer and now Land of the Lost are just too old to have a sizeable enough built-in audience from the originals. I know Land of the Lost was definitely before my time. They showed Speed Racer on MTV in the 80s I THINK. Looks like the 80s are as far back as movie makers can stretch if they want a large enough built-in audience.

Movie mayhem!
    are we sure about those figures above? I just read someplace that Hangover actually took the top spot this weekend with $45 mil and Up had like $44.3 mil

Quote Originally Posted by Patreek View Post
    are we sure about those figures above? I just read someplace that Hangover actually took the top spot this weekend
    You are correct, this morning the final numbers came in and Hangover did better to cause a shift ... it was SUPER close

According to Box Office Mojo:

1. The Hangover $44,979,319
    2. Up $44,138,266
    The Hangover hit the jackpot over the weekend, narrowly edging out Up for the top spot. The ribald comedy had been projected to trail the Pixar adventure in Sunday's studio estimates, but was revised upward once actual grosses poured in. Hangover's Friday dominance combined with a better-than-expected Sunday haul cinched its position, despite Up soaring past it on Saturday as well as being marginally ahead on Sunday. Both pictures were highly successful for their genres and wound up less than two percent apart

Weekend box office estimates for June 12-14:

1 THE HANGOVER 33.4 (105.4)
    2 UP 30.5 (187.2)
    3 THE TAKING OF PELHAM 25.0
    4 NIGHT AT THE MUSEUM: BATTLE... 9.6 (143.4)
    5 LAND OF THE LOST 9.2 (35.0)
    6 IMAGINE THAT 5.7
    7 STAR TREK 5.6 (232.0)
    8 TERMINATOR SALVATION 4.7 (113.8)
    9 ANGELS & DEMONS 4.2 (123.3)
    10 DRAG ME TO HELL 3.9 (35.1)

The Hangover and Up stay strong, while Imagine That bombs.

Weekend box office estimates for June 12-14:

1 THE HANGOVER 33.4 (105.4)
    2 UP 30.5 (187.2)

The Hangover and Up stay strong, while Imagine That bombs.
    And both actually added theaters to their release. Up is on pace to easily surpass Toy Story 2, CARS, Ratatouille, and Wall-E in the next 2-3 weeks.

It is only trending a tiny bit (~1-3k) behind the #1 PIXAR film Finding Nemo (which ended at ~340m) when weeks into release is compared. We took my brother to see it this weekend and the theatre was completely packed (this was a 4pm Sat showing)

The Proposal has a strong debut, while Year One fizzles.

Weekend box office estimates in millions for June 19-21:

1 THE PROPOSAL 34.1
    2 THE HANGOVER 26.9 (152.9)
    3 UP 21.3 (224.1)
    4 YEAR ONE 20.2
    5 THE TAKING OF PELHAM 11.3 (43.3)
    6 NIGHT AT THE MUSEUM: BATTLE 7.3 (156.0)
    7 STAR TREK 4.7 (239.4)
    8 LAND OF THE LOST 4.0 (43.7)
    9 IMAGINE THAT 3.1 (11.4)
    10 TERMINATOR SALVATION 3.1 (119.5)

Supreme Fudge Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    I can't say that I'm surprised about Year One. It just doesn't look very good at all based on the previews and commercials.

While it doesn't look quite as bad, I still say this is basically this year's Love Guru.

Leela: "What's the secret of time travel doing on Fry's ass?"
    Fry: "It was bound to be somewhere!"

Thanks again for the info, Firefly.

The Hangover is finally booted from #1 but is still holding strong. Ryan Reynolds always makes me laugh and I am not surprised that The Proposal took #1 but it is just biding time until Transformers is released this week.

Year One does not look that funny but it has to be better than The Love Guru. That was a terrible movie. I can usually find some redeeming value in a bad movie however The Love Guru had none.

Heroic Warrior
    Meryl Streep is 60 today....haven't watched many of her films but she rocked in Deer Hunter
    Don't you have better thing to do than read this stupid signature

Tony Clifton : Kaufman was a hack....hack sack pack nack !

He-Man.org Forum Admin TheShadow's Avatar
    The Proposal was pretty funny (though would had been funnier if they didn't waste a few of the scenes in the commercials) so I am glad it was #1 and not Year One.

Looking forward to Transformers, hopefully, this weekend.

Just released 10/6/2013: EPISODE 55 of Masters Cast!
    The He-Man & She-Ra Podcast at www.masterscast.com

Weekend box office estimates for June 26-28 in millions:

1 TRANSFORMERS: REVENGE OF THE FALLEN 112.0 (201.2)
    2 THE PROPOSAL 18.5 (69.0)
    3 THE HANGOVER 17.2 (183.2)
    4 UP 13.1 (250.2)
    5 MY SISTER'S KEEPER 12.0
    6 YEAR ONE 5.8 (32.3)
    7 THE TAKING OF PELHAM 5.40 (53.4)
    8 STAR TREK 3.6 (246.2)
    9 NIGHT AT THE MUSEUM: BATTLE... 3.5 (163.2)
    10 AWAY WE GO 1.7 (4.1)

The 5 day estimate of 201.2 puts Transformers just below the 203.8 record of The Dark Knight.

Weekend box office estimates for June 26-28 in millions:

1 TRANSFORMERS: REVENGE OF THE FALLEN 112.0 (201.2)
    3 THE HANGOVER 17.2 (183.2)
    4 UP 13.1 (250.2)
    All 3 of these are smash hits, UP will become the 2nd highest grossing PIXAR movie ever in about 2 weeks and is still trending to equal or top Finding Nemo (339m)

And what did the Hangover cost to make, wow that is an amazing haul

Pretty cool to make your budget back on opening weekend. Are they filming #3 yet? Kidding, Kidding!