Page 34 of 36 FirstFirst ... 243233343536 LastLast

Thread: Weekend Box Office Thread

From deadline.com:

Problem is that MIB3 was very expensive to make. The time travel elements of Etan Cohen’s script had to be re-worked by Jeff Nathanson who needed more time to pull off the tricky plot device while Cohen worked on another project. So the film shut down for about six weeks, which is a rarity for a major tentpole, and then Cohen came back to finish the movie. That caused the cost to skyrocket from a range of $225M (which is what Sony claims as the budget) to $300M (which is what rival studios say it really was). Between that and all the gross profit participants – besides Will Smith, this is one of Steven Spielberg’s Amblin Entertainment productions with his former lieutenants Walter Parkes and Laurie MacDonald producing through their Parkes+MacDonald Image Nation - every dollar counts.

Quote Originally Posted by Krueger View Post
    Not to sound cynical, but I really don't think this film should have been made. Firstly, the second film really turned a lot of people off. It’s objectively a very bad film.
    The minute I saw the trailer for 'Men In Black 2', and learned of it's premise, my inner gut said to me that 'this is 'Ghostbusters 2' all over again'. Repeat the same story from the first film, but in reverse, or with A contrived plot twist. What 'Men In Black', and 'Ghostbusters' got wrong as movies franchises is what their cartoon counterparts got right. Explore the characters, and their world, take the characters to new places, and move the basic concept forward. It's really sad to see these movie franchises learn the hard way because they had alot of potential, yet their cartoon versions have A better handle on going forward, and not repeat the first story twice.
    Last edited by mbaker; June 3, 2012 at 09:36am.

Quote Originally Posted by mbaker View Post
    The minute I saw the trailer for 'Men In Black 2', and learned of it's premise, my inner gut said to me that 'this is 'Ghostbusters 2' all over again. Repeat the same story from the first film, but in reverse, or with A contrived plot twist. What 'Men In Black', and 'Ghostbusters' got wrong as movies franchises is what their cartoon counterparts got right. Explore the characters, and their world, take the characters to new places, and move the basic concept forward. It's really sad to see these movie franchises learn the hard way because they had alot of potential as movies, yet their cartoon versions have A better handle on going forward, and not repeat the first story twice.
    Yeah I felt the same way when we saw #2, I am pretty sure I have never been letdown by a movie like I was that one. I vividly remember how bad it was and so this many years later that is not a good thing.

MIB3 was pretty good though, I mean the villain was a bit weak but it was more in the spirit of the original. Its too bad #2 ruined the franchise for so many though. Josh Brolin was fantastic as Young K and you found out some interesting things about K and J's pasts.
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback

Master of New Adventures!
    The Avengers out of #1; MIB 3 in.

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment...at-box-office/

Budget, btw, was $230 million. That means they need around $700 million in worldwide box office. No guarantees, but it's doable.
    Last edited by Heeeere's Olesker!; May 28, 2012 at 02:28pm.

You know I have never seen people more pleased that a #1 that is like the Avengers has lost it's top spot it does happen people only like 5-6 different people have posted that it's "Not #1 anymore!"

WOW!

Quote Originally Posted by Megalodon View Post
    You know I have never seen people more pleased that a #1 that is like the Avengers has lost it's top spot it does happen people only like 5-6 different people have posted that it's "Not #1 anymore!"

WOW!
    Quite to opposite for me. I'm sad to see it fall. That's one of the problems with posting -- e.g., it's tough sometimes to see the true meaning.

While it's true I'm a big MIB fan, it's also true that I'm a huge fan of children and I know how Alex and his friends were thrilled by The Avengers. On other had, despite its fall from #1 (and who says it can't come back up to #1 again?) the film will do amazing worldwide box office.

Well, it had to happen eventually. It couldn't be #1 forever! And it's decrease was very low over all. As for the budget, the studio has always claimed $230m. It's just the other studios aren't buying that.
    Coming Soon. My line of 5.5'' action figures. EonQuest.com
    fwww.facebook.com/eonquest
    www.twitter.com/eon_quest

Yeah it had to fall eventually, I mean its already made far more than they had anticipated and its not Nov-Jan which is the months that Avatar and Titanic used to get to their record breaking grosses

People just like to hate on success, but nobody involved with Avengers or that is a fan of the movie should feel any kind of sorry or unhappiness that it came in #2, its hold was still ridiculously good
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Quote Originally Posted by markatisu View Post
    People just like to hate on success, but nobody involved with Avengers or that is a fan of the movie should feel any kind of sorry or unhappiness that it came in #2, its hold was still ridiculously good
    That is so true and funny thing is that the majority of people don't even know the characters from a story or book and don't get it..I've met people that say they read the book but they read either current stuff of "google" it to get the info...Either that or they hate comic book movies....

Well, 'The Avengers' budget was around $220 million, and 'Men In Black 3's budget is somewhere around 230 million. Apparently, 'The Avengers' had A much bigger opening gross by comparison.

I actually forgot MIB was coming out this weekend! I'll have to catch it next weekend.

Battleship is officially declared a bomb:

Comcast Chairman Brian Roberts publicly acknowledged Friday what has been largely ignored by the Hollywood media: "Battleship" is a big, bad, "John Carter"-sized flop. [Comcast owns a controlling interest in NBCUniversal, the parent company of Universal Studios, which distributed "Battleship."]
    Speaking at the Sanford Bernstein Strategic decisions conference in New York City, Roberts said that the poor performance of the alien invasion film, which he labelled "an unfortunate, large miss," coupled with the failure of the comedy "The Five Year Engagement," will drag down earnings at NBCUniversal.
    In contrast, in the same quarter last year, Universal was basking in the success of "Bridesmaids" and "Fast Five."
    "This year you put that together, we'll have a negative quarter at NBCUniversal, as we've sort of told folks," Roberts informed the Wall Street crowd.

Heroic Warrior
    I have renewed faith in Humanity now that Battleship bombed.

Snow White beats out MIB 3 and Avengers for the top spot.

Weekend box office for 6/1-6/3:

1 Snow White and the Huntsman $56,255,000
    2 Men In Black 3 $29,300,000 ($112,300,000)
    3 The Avengers $20,273,000 ($552,737,000)
    4 Battleship $4,810,000 ($55,123,000)
    5 The Dictator $4,725,000 ($50,835,000)
    6 The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel $4,600,000 ($25,497,000)
    7 What To Expect When You‘re Expecting $4,430,000 ($30,723,000)
    8 Dark Shadows $3,860,000 ($70,834,000)
    9 Chernobyl Diaries $3,045,000 ($14,416,000)
    10 For Greater Glory $1,800,000

As expected. The Avengers numbers are pretty crazy, still after this many weeks. I saw it today for the fourth time. Also, the final time. And the theater was still 2/3 full a matinee. Pretty crazy. I assume it'll start losing theaters pretty quickly with Prometheus, Spider-man and The Dark Knight Rises coming up

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    Snow White beats out MIB 3 and Avengers for the top spot.
    I saw Snow White and the Huntsmen and really liked it.

And wow, Avengers still has some pretty awesome numbers!!
    Out of the night that covers me,
    Black as the pit from pole to pole,
    I thank whatever gods may be
    For my unconquerable soul.

It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishments the scroll,
    I am the master of my fate,
    I am the captain of my soul.

We saw it too and enjoyed it, was better than I expected but the bar was set pretty low. Kristen Stewart is far from a leading lady or a good actress, but Charlize Theron and Thor made up for it.

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JonWes View Post
    Battleship is officially declared a bomb:

You sank my Battleship!

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress • Evilseed (MYP)

Well this weekend The Avengers moved into #3 spot in all-time U.S. box office revenues, right behind Titanic and Avatar.

Congrats. When you can get my Kim to love a super-hero film, that's saying something.

Madagascar 3 finishes in first. Prometheus has a good showing for an R rated film for second.

Weekend box office 6/8-6/10:

1 Madagascar 3: Europe's Most Wanted $60,350,000
    2 Prometheus $50,000,000
    3 Snow White and the Huntsman $23,021,000 -$98,500,000
    4 MIB 3 $13,500,000 -$135,505,000
    5 Marvel's The Avengers $10,809,000 -$571,860,000
    6 The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel $3,235,000 -$31,009,000
    7 What to Expect When You're Expecting -$2,710,000
    8 Battleship $2,286,000 -$59,830,000
    9 Moonrise Kingdom $1,579,000 -$3,750,000
    10 Dark Shadows $1,360,000 -$73,736,000

That's a great debut for Prometheus, especially when taking into account the damage to the brand by the last few Alien oriented moview

Last weekend I went to the drive in and saw Snow White and Battleship. The person I was with was like waht is the plot to battleship. And I looked at him and said well I'm not sure. But its your pretty standard script so far. Bad boy becomes hero. Gets the pretty girl. dad hates bad boy who doesnt belong in the military.
    Obey the whip!

Smile like you mean it.

Quote Originally Posted by Divia View Post
    Last weekend I went to the drive in and saw Snow White and Battleship. The person I was with was like waht is the plot to battleship. And I looked at him and said well I'm not sure. But its your pretty standard script so far. Bad boy becomes hero. Gets the pretty girl. dad hates bad boy who doesnt belong in the military.
    Well you should have also said its based on a boring board game so there really is no plot

In other news, 'The Hunger Games' just passed the $400 million mark in it's 12th week. Wow. I guess it's true. She has no idea the effect she can have.

Last edited by mbaker; June 11, 2012 at 06:51am.

Quote Originally Posted by mbaker View Post
    In other news, 'The Hunger Games' just passed the $400 million mark in it's 12th week. Wow. I guess it's true. She has no idea the effect she can have.

http://img.ezinemark.com/imagemanage...gesture-i.jpeg
    Yeah that is a very impressive achievement given the original outlook on the film and a testament to its staying power. Its final gross was revised over 4 times because the industry did not expect it to hold as well from week to week.