Page 10 of 36 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: Weekend Box Office Thread

Movie mayhem!
    Quote Originally Posted by markatisu View Post
    Its a movie in the kidnapped genre, its entire purpose is for you to enjoy watching it and elicit emotion. Its not meant to be a "good" film in the acted sense or in the Academy Award sense. I mean they pretty much told you the premise and much of the story in the trailer, leaving very little in the way of twist or shock as the whole point was how badly Liam was going to hurt those who took his daughter

Its the same reason Steven Segal had his run of wildly popular movies in the mid 80's and 90's. They were horribly acted movies but were fun as heck to watch, same thing with Charles Bronson's Death Wish series

So what you said makes sense

Wow, could make that bag in home video but I really think a lot of people will hate this movie
    It wasn't really the acting that I minded. It was the rediculousness of what was happening. I mean... obviously that happens in lots of movies of the genre like james bond and bourne, but for some reason it works ok there because they are in their own kind of universe. With this movie, it sort of sets it self up in the real world, so then when these kind of really impossible things happen afterwards when you think about them you are like, "wait a minute"...

But yea you are right, its just a old fashioned fun thriller and I did enjoy it a lot as I watched it.

I read an interview somewhere, can't remember where, where the actor was saying basically the same thing, he was like it was a filler movie for me, a fun thing to do inbetween other movies. he was really shocked that it did SO well.

I read an interview somewhere, can't remember where, where the actor was saying basically the same thing, he was like it was a filler movie for me, a fun thing to do inbetween other movies. he was really shocked that it did SO well.
    Well it bombed overseas where it was released first, it has come out on DVD in some countries and they were expecting it to possibly break even in the US but it has done so much more ($100m in the US alone vs $60m combined in all other countries)
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback

March 6-8 weekend box office numbers in millions:

1 WATCHMEN 55.7
    2 TYLER PERRY'S MADEA GOES TO... 8.8
    3 TAKEN 7.5
    4 SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE 6.9
    5 PAUL BLART: MALL COP 4.2
    6 HE'S JUST NOT THAT INTO YOU 4.0
    7 CORALINE 3.3
    8 CONFESSIONS OF A SHOPAHOLIC 3.1
    9 JONAS BROTHERS:THE 3D CONCERT 2.8
    10 FIRED UP 2.6

The R-rated Watchmen has a great opening weekend. It will be interesting to see what type of legs it has.

Taken only had a 24% drop in its 6th week, wonder how many weeks it will keep going strong

Its only about 20m away now from becoming the highest grossing "kidnap" movie of all time
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    March 6-8 weekend box office numbers in millions:

1 WATCHMEN 55.7
    2 TYLER PERRY'S MADEA GOES TO... 8.8
    3 TAKEN 7.5
    4 SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE 6.9
    5 PAUL BLART: MALL COP 4.2
    6 HE'S JUST NOT THAT INTO YOU 4.0
    7 CORALINE 3.3
    8 CONFESSIONS OF A SHOPAHOLIC 3.1
    9 JONAS BROTHERS:THE 3D CONCERT 2.8
    10 FIRED UP 2.6

The R-rated Watchmen has a great opening weekend. It will be interesting to see what type of legs it has.
    Great opening for the Watchmen, I wonder if it will beat the Dark Night
    Contact me if you have MOTU Merchandise Items for sale or trade! Please view a sampling of what I am looking for Here:
    http://photobucket.com/albums/v400/j...ase%20Contact/
    http://photobucket.com/albums/v400/j...need%20Europe/

Quote Originally Posted by jmb410s View Post
    You're joking right?

Dark Knight did 158M its opening weekend, starred (arguably) the most popular comic book character in history, had a star-studded cast and received phenomenal reviews.

Watchmen...ummm...didn't...
    Last edited by BCI Guy; March 8, 2009 at 10:31pm.

Co-Creator of the NV
    It made 103 million less than TDK did in its first weekend, and the whole weekend didn't even match what TDK made in its opening day (which was 67M) so I don't think it's too likely.

Although a good number, Watchmen did make below industry expections which were extremely high for this film.

The "Watchmen" pot never boiled.

Warner Bros.' much-watched release of the epic-length actioner "Watchmen" wound up topping the domestic boxoffice with a weekend haul estimated at $55.7 million for an opening in the far lower end of pre-release projections.

Directed by Zack Snyder, there had been much speculation over whether "Watchmen" would bow higher than the helmer's ancient Greece actioner "300," which debuted with $70.9 million in March 2007. "Watchmen" had a field free from other wide openers following a high-profile courtroom battle between Warners and Fox for the right to release the cult comic-book adaptation.

Fox will share in up to 8.5% of boxoffice under terms of a court-supervised settlement. Co-financier Paramount holds foreign rights on the pic.
    http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/...321f58dc81acac

The Cerebral Assassin hhhelmsley's Avatar
    No, I don't think Watchmen will beat TDN.

Man I am getting beat up on here Sorry guys! Just finished watching the movie in the IMAX and it is Spectacular! I guess it won't beat the dark night, just got caught up in the excitement of the movie finally coming out.
    Contact me if you have MOTU Merchandise Items for sale or trade! Please view a sampling of what I am looking for Here:
    http://photobucket.com/albums/v400/j...ase%20Contact/
    http://photobucket.com/albums/v400/j...need%20Europe/

Movie mayhem!
    Slumdog now up to #4 and gaining speed :-) Love it! :-) its the little underdog that could :-)

Analysts are predicting that Watchmen's gonna take a big tumble this upcoming weekend. With all the hype this thing got, I'm surprised it's potentially going to end up flopping.

Supreme Fudge Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    Analysts are predicting that Watchmen's gonna take a big tumble this upcoming weekend. With all the hype this thing got, I'm surprised it's potentially going to end up flopping.
    Well, it will at least get a couple of tickets purchased when my wife and I go to see it this weekend, not that the two of us seeing it will make some huge difference.

I do agree that given all of the promotion and hype, it would be unfortunate and somewhat suprising if the movie were to flop.

But, at the same time, it is an R rated super hero movie, complete with foul language, nudity, and all kind of other R-rated characteristics. It's not exactly as family friendly as the majority of Superhero movies that end up with a PG-13 rating. So, it is a tougher sell compared to most.

Analysts are predicting that Watchmen's gonna take a big tumble this upcoming weekend.
    Probably, we are going to see Witch Mountain and try to give Rock his second straight #1 Disney opening

Probably, we are going to see Witch Mountain and try to give Rock his second straight #1 Disney opening
    I've not seen Watchmen yet. I've procrastinated and now The Last House On The Left is coming up. Sorry Watchmen, maybe next week.

Movie mayhem!
    Saw watchmen tonight... never read the comic... I LOOOOOOOOOOOOOVED IT!

Watchmen had a huge drop this week.

Weekend box office for March 13-15 in millions:

1 RACE TO WITCH MOUNTAIN 25.0
    2 WATCHMEN 18.1
    3 THE LAST HOUSE ON THE LEFT 14.7
    4 TAKEN 6.7
    5 TYLER PERRY'S MADEA GOES TO... 5.1
    6 SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE 5.0
    7 PAUL BLART: MALL COP 3.1
    8 HE'S JUST NOT THAT INTO YOU 2.9
    9 CORALINE 2.7
    10 MISS MARCH 2.4

Watchmen had a huge drop this week.

Weekend box office for March 13-15 in millions:

1 RACE TO WITCH MOUNTAIN 25.0
    Whoooo hoooo, Go Rock!! Thats a higher opening then he had with The Gameplan ($23m) and that movie made it just shy of $100m

Taken still continues to stay in the Top 5, 2-3 more weeks and it may pass Ransom as the #1 "kidnap" movie of all time.

Not bad for TLHOTL. It probably cost 10-15 million to make.

EDIT

Was just reading on a site that the 14.7 million opening for TLHOTL was well below expectations.

What the hell?

What in that movie could have possibly cost that much?

A movie can make below expectations, yet still not cost much to make. It has to do with the pre-release buzz, not the production costs.

A movie can make below expectations, yet still not cost much to make. It has to do with the pre-release buzz, not the production costs.
    Ah, I see.

I thought it was mainly based on: We put X into the movie and expect X profit.

It's just that the article made it sounds like a flop, and here I was thinking that was a pretty amazing opening for this particular movie.

Whoooo hoooo, Go Rock!! Thats a higher opening then he had with The Gameplan ($23m) and that movie made it just shy of $100m

Taken still continues to stay in the Top 5, 2-3 more weeks and it may pass Ransom as the #1 "kidnap" movie of all time.
    YAY! good news for the Rock. I might go see this during the week, I like to support Mr. Maivia

yeah I can see that. I can't imagine the general public really loving this flick esp with the way the story is and the rating of the movie. personally I don't see how they expected it to be huge. they should know by now what resonates with audiences and where legs come from. I think a lot of the Watchmen sales came from curiousity and casual comic fans who've heard of the story but can't be bothered to read the GN. you also have to factor in there isn't any character that people know or can follow on continuing adventures.
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

Movie mayhem!
    kinda sad to see that Watchmen deflated so much in its second weekend, I really enjoyed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Patreek View Post
    kinda sad to see that Watchmen deflated so much in its second weekend, I really enjoyed it.
    Same here.
    People sleep peaceably at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

I still have yet to see Watchmen. I really want to see it in the IMAX. Also, sad to see the big drop in it's 2nd weekend take. I understand that longer run times equate less showings thus less profits. An R rating, necessary for the material, will also hurt it's commercial success. The Dark Knight provided an intelligent take on the superhero film and Watchmen rides that notion but unfortunately for Watchmen the average person knows who Batman is and has no idea who Rorschach is. Are they willing to give it chance? Apparently not. Regardless, the film looks excellent and I think it will find more life on DVD.

Nice to see The Rock enjoying success but that movie does not look good. Looks alot different than the one I saw as a kid. But all these remakes seem to suck. Is there no creativity left? No original ideas? Sometimes, it seems so.