Page 15 of 36 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Thread: Weekend Box Office Thread

Transformers is doing well. Too well! It pushed the Harry Potter out of Imax for a week or two and I really wanted to see it that way
    Contact me if you have MOTU Merchandise Items for sale or trade! Please view a sampling of what I am looking for Here:
    http://photobucket.com/albums/v400/j...ase%20Contact/
    http://photobucket.com/albums/v400/j...need%20Europe/

Quote Originally Posted by jmb410s View Post
    Transformers is doing well. Too well! It pushed the Harry Potter out of Imax for a week or two and I really wanted to see it that way
    TF is more impressive from a visual standpoint, there are only 3 big scenes for HP that would look great in IMAX (the attack on Ron's house, the quidditch match, and the search for the necklace)
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by markatisu View Post
    TF is more impressive from a visual standpoint, there are only 3 big scenes for HP that would look great in IMAX (the attack on Ron's house, the quidditch match, and the search for the necklace)
    Did you already see HP?

Still, I like seeing things on the IMAX! Just my preference
    Contact me if you have MOTU Merchandise Items for sale or trade! Please view a sampling of what I am looking for Here:

Weekend box office estimates for July 17-19 in millions:

1 HARRY POTTER HALF-BLOOD PRINCE 79.5 (159.7)
    2 ICE AGE: DAWN OF THE DINOSAURS 17.7 (152.0)
    3 TRANSFORMERS: REVENGE OF THE.. 13.8 (363.9)
    4 BRUNO 8.4 (49.6)
    5 THE HANGOVER 8.3 (235.9)
    6 THE PROPOSAL 8.3 (128.1)
    7 PUBLIC ENEMIES 7.6 (79.5)
    8 UP 3.2 (279.6)
    9 MY SISTER'S KEEPER 2.8 (41.5)
    10 I LOVE YOU, BETH COOPER 2.7 (10.3)

It was a good debut for Harry Potter, but Harry doesn't look like he will be able to over take Transformers by the end of the year. Bruno had one of the biggest percentage drops I have seen in quite awhile.

I can't believe how much The Hangover's making. That's insane for a comedy! It's going to pass Ghostbusters & Beverly Hills Cop shortly!
    Last edited by Skullface; July 19, 2009 at 12:44pm.
    This space for rent, apparently.....

I will confess I dont think I have seen a preview for the Hangover. I dunno who stars in it or anything. hmm. I may have to google this.
    Obey the whip!

Smile like you mean it.

I thought The Hangover was hilarious I definitely want to check it out again once more in the theater.
    I loved growing up in the 80's....wish my kids someday could experience the same thing....

"The meat was gamey, the potatoes were lumpy, and this coffee tastes like it was strained through someones urethra." - Dean Stephan

Quote Originally Posted by Skullface View Post
    I can't believe how much The Hangover's making. That's insane for a comedy! It's going to pass Ghostbusters & Beverly Hills Cop shortly!
    I have yet to see it but it looked funny as heck, every trailer I saw made me laugh (especially the ones with Tyson and the group being dragged to the classroom of kids)
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback

Beverly Hills Guinea Pigs is number 1 this week.

Weekend box office estimates for July 24-26 (in millions):
    1 G-FORCE 32.2
    2 HARRY POTTER HALF-BLOOD PRINCE 30.0 (221.8)
    3 THE UGLY TRUTH 27.0
    4 ORPHAN 12.8
    5 ICE AGE: DAWN OF THE DINOSAURS 8.2 (171.3)
    6 TRANSFORMERS: REVENGE OF THE.. 8.0 (379.1)
    7 THE HANGOVER 6.5 (247.1)
    8 THE PROPOSAL 6.4 (140.1)
    9 PUBLIC ENEMIES 4.2 (88.1)
    10 BRUNO 2.7 (56.5)

I saw The Hangover a couple weeks ago. I haven't laughed that hard during a movie in a few years.

G-Force? REALLY, America?

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderboy_JMB View Post
    Little kids eat that stuff up, and in turn the parents have to buy a ticket and sit with them. = Instant success!!

HAAAAAAAAAPPYYYYYYYY..... Prince Adam's Dad's Avatar
    You know those well-made kids movies that entertain parents as well as kids?

G-Force isn't that.
    Sadly, you can't divorce emotion from a toyline built on nostalgia.

Got Man-E-Faces, give 'em Whiplash when I Battle-Cats

Well it is summer vacation. They need to do something with the little ahem..angels.
    Obey the whip!

Smile like you mean it.

HAAAAAAAAAPPYYYYYYYY..... Prince Adam's Dad's Avatar
    We keep ours in a baby cage! It has a little water bottle and cedar chips for pooping!
    Sadly, you can't divorce emotion from a toyline built on nostalgia.

Got Man-E-Faces, give 'em Whiplash when I Battle-Cats

Weekend box office estimates in millions for August 7-9:

1 G.I. JOE Paramount · $56.2
    2 JULIE AND JULIA Sony · $20.1
    3 G-FORCE Walt Disney · $9.8 ($86.1)
    4 HARRY POTTER AND THE HALF BLOOD PRINCE $8.9 ($273.8)
    5 FUNNY PEOPLE Universal · $7.9 ($40.4)
    6 THE UGLY TRUTH Sony · $7.0 ($69.1)
    7 A PERFECT GETAWAY Universal · $5.8
    8 ALIENS IN THE ATTIC · $4.0 ($16.3)
    9 ORPHAN Warner Bros. · $3.7 ($34.8)
    10 (500) DAYS OF SUMMER Fox Searchlight · $3.7 ($12.3)

It was a good opening for G.I. Joe, but it will be interesting to see what type of legs it has.

(500) Days of Summer is doing pretty well, especially since it's still in limited release. That's one I definitely want to check out.

He-Man.org Forum Admin TheShadow's Avatar
    (500) Days of Summer is doing pretty well, especially since it's still in limited release. That's one I definitely want to check out.
    I saw 500 this weekend and it was excellent.

As for GI Joe, I also saw it and I hope it has legs. It was way better than Transformers Rise of the Fallen.

Just released 10/6/2013: EPISODE 55 of Masters Cast!
    The He-Man & She-Ra Podcast at www.masterscast.com

Thanks for the numbers, Firefly.

(500) Days of Summer was a great movie. I'm glad to see it is doing so well in its limited release. It's a fresh break from the typical summer blockbuster fare.

I am happy that G.I. Joe did so well in its opening weekend. I'm not so sure if it will have legs though. Its domestic take will probably not match its reputed cost of 175 million but internationally it will definitely overtake that mark. Plus, the merchandising will rake in the bucks. Legs or not, a G.I. Joe sequel is imminent.

Quote Originally Posted by vkatphish View Post
    Thanks for the numbers, Firefly.

(500) Days of Summer was a great movie. I'm glad to see it is doing so well in its limited release. It's a fresh break from the typical summer blockbuster fare.

I am happy that G.I. Joe did so well in its opening weekend. I'm not so sure if it will have legs though. Its domestic take will probably not match its reputed cost of 175 million but internationally it will definitely overtake that mark. Plus, the merchandising will rake in the bucks. Legs or not, a G.I. Joe sequel is imminent.
    Here's hoping. Nothing in GI Joe left me feeling as awkward as so many things in TF's did. It was just good fun that everyone seemed to really get into. I really hope they get to do another.
    "It's not about how hard you can hit. It's about how hard you can get hit, how much you can take,
    and keep moving forward.
    That's how winning is done." -- Rocky Balboa

August 14-16, Variety:

Sony's high-concept, sci-fi thriller "District 9" grossed an impressive $37 million from 3,049 theaters to win the race at the domestic box office, largely on the strength of males.

Placing No. 2 for the weekend at the domestic B.O. was Paramount's "G.I. Joe: The Revenge of Cobra," which fell 59% to an estimated $22.5 million from 4,007 theaters for a cume of $98.8 million.

It was a busy weekend at the domestic box as four other new releases opened in addition to "District 9."

Warner Bros. and New Line's romantic drama "The Time Traveler's Wife" came in No. 3, grossing an estimated $19 million from 2,988 runs.

Paramount Vantage's "The Goods: Live Hard, Sell Hard" did only modest biz in its opening, grossing an estimated $5.3 million from 1,838 runs to place No. 6.

Disney's "Ponyo" grossed an estimated $3.5 million from 927 screns in its debut to come in No.9.

Not making the top 10 chart in its bow was Summit Entertainment and Walden Media's teen musical-driven comedy "Bandslam," which grossed $2.3 million from 2,121 theaters.
    It was a good debut for the $30 million budget District 9. G.I. Joe has an ok second weekend. It doesn't look like it will have strong legs.

Excellent news on district 9. Hopefully we get the sequel soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    August 14-16, Variety:

It was a good debut for the $30 million budget District 9. G.I. Joe has an ok second weekend. It doesn't look like it will have strong legs.
    That's disappointing.

The Master of Insanity CJ Clifford's Avatar
    The Revenge of Cobra?

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    G.I. Joe has an ok second weekend. It doesn't look like it will have strong legs.
    I think it'll be considered a moderate success at theatres, with most or all of the profits coming from DVD sales.

Not only does it have to make back the $175 million production budget, but also the [what was it?] $150 spent on marketing.
    "My favorite Harry Potter movie is Troll."

Paramount's goal for G.I. Joe was $300M worldwide. It might not reach it, but I don't think it will be too terribly off. Right now, they are at $200M. I think it will have great DVD/Blu-Ray sales, so it will help it turn a profit. Hopefully, they will make a sequel. Maybe, they'll just cut out some of the unnecessary CGI stuff and go with a tighter budget.