Page 16 of 36 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Thread: Weekend Box Office Thread

He-Man.org Forum Admin TheShadow's Avatar
    I saw Bandslam this weekend It was good. Aly Michalka

Anywho, I wish GI Joe was having better legs. It was way better than TF2! Hrmph!

Just released 10/6/2013: EPISODE 55 of Masters Cast!
    The He-Man & She-Ra Podcast at www.masterscast.com

weekend box office estimates for August 21-23 in millions:
    1 Inglourious Basterds $37.6
    2 District 9 $18.9 ($73.5)
    3 G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra $12.5 ($120.5)
    4 The Time Traveler's Wife WB $10.0 ($37.4)
    5 Julie & Julia $9.0 ($59.3)
    6 Shorts $6.6
    7 G-Force $4.2 ($107.3)
    8 Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince $3.5 ($290.3)
    9 The Ugly Truth $2.9 ($82.9)
    10 Post Grad $2.8

Quentin Tarantino's new film gets Number 1. G.I. Joe only dropped 44% this week.

And District 9 still doing very well for itself. That total so far makes me very happy.
    "It's not about how hard you can hit. It's about how hard you can get hit, how much you can take,
    and keep moving forward.
    That's how winning is done." -- Rocky Balboa

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    weekend box office estimates for August 21-23 in millions:

3 G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra $12.5 ($120.5)

G.I. Joe only dropped 44% this week.
    Wow, that is probably the most interesting thing from the whole chart. There were analysts who suspected it might barely break $110m-120m before dropping out and now it looks like it could bow out around $150m or more since it only lost 59 theaters last week.

Not to mention the films goal worldwide was $300m and most people assumed it would need home video to do that, but its doing very well in all of Europe for a grand total of ~220m worldwide.
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback

Already greenlighted:

G.I. Joe Sequel

Paramount's goal for G.I. Joe was $300M worldwide. It might not reach it, but I don't think it will be too terribly off. Right now, they are at $200M. I think it will have great DVD/Blu-Ray sales, so it will help it turn a profit. Hopefully, they will make a sequel. Maybe, they'll just cut out some of the unnecessary CGI stuff and go with a tighter budget.

Yeah, I've read that. A Superman Returns sequel was also greenlighted, so it doesn't necessarily mean it is a given.

Yeah, I've read that. A Superman Returns sequel was also greenlighted, so it doesn't necessarily mean it is a given.
    I cannot imagine the cast cost outside Sienna Miller would be too extraordinary. I think if they tone down the unnecessary CGI and actually focus on a story driven movie a sequel could be done for far less.

If it at least gets to $175m (its budget) in the US before it bows out then I think we will see a guaranteed sequel, since it will make its profit without a blink on home video.
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

I hope so! I believe a sequel has so much potential!!

Weekend box office for August 28-30:

1 The Final Destination $ 28.3
    2 Inglourious Basterds $20.0 (73.8)
    3 Halloween 2 $17.4
    4 District 9 $10.7 (90.8)
    5 G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra $8.0 (132.4)
    6 Julie & Julia $7.4 (71)
    7 The Time Traveler's Wife $6.7 (48.2)
    8 Shorts 4.9 (13.6)
    9 Taking Woodstock $3.7
    10 G-Force $2.8 (111.8)

Final Destination beats up on Halloween 2 to take the crown. G.I. Joe drops a low percentage again. It has been holding up pretty good after the initial second week drop.

I have been hearing Inglorious ******** is pretty good. I hope so as I am going to see it tonight!
    Contact me if you have MOTU Merchandise Items for sale or trade! Please view a sampling of what I am looking for Here:
    http://photobucket.com/albums/v400/j...ase%20Contact/
    http://photobucket.com/albums/v400/j...need%20Europe/

5 G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra $8.0 (132.4)
    GI Joe keeps on going, I originally thought maybe $150m was the highest it could go but now it might limp just over that.

The International Box Office is about on pace with the US so if they both top out at the same time then Hasbro/Paramount will easily see the $375m they wanted when all was said and done on home video.

Clearly, I have no idea why certain movies are more successful than others. What was it about Transformers that audiences flocked to so much more than G.I. Joe, even though it seems overall, audience reaction seemed more favorable to G.I. Joe. Is it really that general audiences like bad movies? (If anyone else tells me to "check your brain at the door" I'm drilling a hole in their head. Check that, moron.) I mean it seemed that reaction to TF was immediately mixed-to-negative, yet it kept going and going. Joe got mixed but overall better word of mouth and it doesn't seem to help that much. I don't have a point. I'm just wondering aloud.

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderboy_JMB View Post
    Clearly, I have no idea why certain movies are more successful than others. What was it about Transformers that audiences flocked to so much more than G.I. Joe, even though it seems overall, audience reaction seemed more favorable to G.I. Joe. Is it really that general audiences like bad movies? (If anyone else tells me to "check your brain at the door" I'm drilling a hole in their head. Check that, moron.) I mean it seemed that reaction to TF was immediately mixed-to-negative, yet it kept going and going. Joe got mixed but overall better word of mouth and it doesn't seem to help that much. I don't have a point. I'm just wondering aloud.
    Joe is a much slower movie, TF2 is awful compared to TF1 but it has much more action and more huge (Devastator) and kid friendly characters (the twins). Outside of Snake Eyes and possibly Storm Shadow the movie did not really do that much (Destro did not put on his helmet till the end when he was being healed by Cobra Commander, who himself did not reveal till the end)

TF has always had a broader appeal which is why there is almost a yearly show for the license, in contrast there was almost a decade between GI Joe Extreme (1995-1997) and GI Joe Sigma Six (2005-2007)

Cloudy gets number 1, while Megan Fox's movie flops.

Sept. 18-20 weekend estimates:
    1) Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs- $30,100,000 ($30,100,000)
    2) The Informant- $10,545,000 ($10,545,000)
    3) I Can Do Bad All By Myself- $10,060,000 ($37,932,000)
    4) Love Happens- $8,456,000 ($8,456,000)
    5) Jennifer's Body-$6,800,000 ($6,800,000)
    6) 9- $5,458,000 ($22,794,000)
    7) Inglourious Basterds- $3,603,000 ($109,901,000)
    8) All About Steve- $3,400,000 ($26,678,000)
    9) Sorority Row- $2,489,000 ($8,870,000)
    10) The Final Destination- $2,375,000 ($62,392,000)

FYI, G.I. Joe is at $146,177,000 domestic ($285,019,892 worldwide).

worldwide summer box office:
    http://www.variety.com/index.asp?lay..._globalWarming

I am glad cloudy with a chance of meatballs is doing well.
    Contact me if you have MOTU Merchandise Items for sale or trade! Please view a sampling of what I am looking for Here:

Oct. 2-4 weekend box office estimates in millions:

1 Zombieland 25.0
    2 Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 16.7 ($82.4)
    3 Toy Story / Toy Story 2 12.5
    4 The Invention of Lying 7.4 ($18.5)
    5 Surrogates 7.3 ($26.4)
    6 Capitalism: A Love Story 4.9
    6 Whip It 4.9
    8 Fame 4.8 ($16.6)
    9 The Informant! 3.8 ($26.6)
    10 Love Happens 2.8 ($18.9)

Cloudy continues to impress, while Zombieland takes the number 1 spot.

I kind of wished Zombieland had done better. The movie was hilarious, probably the most fun I've had in a long time at the theater. The entire crowd was laughing and clapping throughout it. Definitely the nicest surprise at the cinema since District 9. Still, it came in #1, but at only $25million, I'm thinking it has a ways to go to reach its budget.
    "It's not about how hard you can hit. It's about how hard you can get hit, how much you can take,
    and keep moving forward.
    That's how winning is done." -- Rocky Balboa

Quote Originally Posted by Galmorzu View Post
    I kind of wished Zombieland had done better. The movie was hilarious, probably the most fun I've had in a long time at the theater. The entire crowd was laughing and clapping throughout it. Definitely the nicest surprise at the cinema since District 9. Still, it came in #1, but at only $25million, I'm thinking it has a ways to go to reach its budget.
    Its budget was reportedly 23.6m, it will easily double that by the time it leaves theaters with Halloween coming up and then make even more on home video.

You can't really ask for much more, the highest grossing Zombie movie was Dawn of the Dead at $59m in 2004. I have a feeling this will end up much better, its getting great word of mouth.

In the realm of zombie movies, Zombieland had the second highest-grossing start on record behind the Dawn of the Dead remake, but, more importantly, it was the first horror comedy in recent memory to find significant theatrical success. The only horror comedies to claim greater initial attendance in the past two decades were the Scary Movie pictures, but they primarily appealed as spoofs. Failure is the norm, with movies like Jennifer's Body and Snakes on a Plane among the corpses.

Horror comedy struggles with general audiences because of its awkward thematic and tonal clash: comedy is generally benevolent while horror is inherently malevolent, rendering horror comedy too funny to be scary and too scary to be funny. Zombieland skirted this issue by falling squarely on the side of action comedy in its marketing campaign. True to its amusement park-like title, the ads brazenly and clearly touted the picture as a fun ride with Woody Harrelson and crew wisecracking as they easily dispatch zombies. Distributor Sony Pictures' exit polling indicated that 56 percent of the audience was male and 58 percent was under 25 years old.

Can't wait to see Zombieland today!

Master of Invisibility MOTU_Maniac's Avatar
    I am wanting to see Couples Retreat. It looks hilarious!!!
    Enter my $200 CASH GIVEAWAY to Help
    Promote the 2015 Club Eternia Subscription.

WE can do this together because.....

EVERY SUB COUNTS whether it is 1 or 1,000!!!!

October 9-11 weekend box office estimates:

1 Couples Retreat $35.3
    2 Zombieland $15.0 ($47.8)
    3 Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs $12.0 ($96.3)
    4 Toy Story / Toy Story 2 (3D) $7.7 ($22.7)
    5 Paranormal Activity $7.1
    6 Surrogates $4.1 ($32.6)
    7 The Invention of Lying $3.4 ($12.3)
    8 Whip It $2.8 ($8.8)
    9 Capitalism: A Love Story $2.7 ($9.1)
    10 Fame (2009) $2.6 ($20.0)

Vince Vaughn's Couples Retreat gets number 1. Paranormal Activity has a huge weekend despite only playing at 159 theaters.

October 16-18 Box Office

1 Where the Wild Things Are $32,470,000
    2 Law Abiding Citizen Over. $21,250,000
    3 Paranormal Activity $20,163,000
    4 Couples Retreat $17,949,000
    5 The Stepfather (2009) $12,300,000
    6 Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs $8,100,000
    7 Zombieland $7,800,000 (LTD $60.8m)
    8 Toy Story / Toy Story 2 (3D) $3,011,000
    9 Surrogates $1,922,000
    10 The Invention of Lying $1,905,000
    Zombieland is doing great, will be 3x its budget by next week and has already surpassed every Zombie movie ever made.

Paranormal Activity is tracking close to The Blair Witch Project but cost almost 2/3 less to make.

Quote Originally Posted by markatisu View Post
    Zombieland is doing great, will be 3x its budget by next week and has already surpassed every Zombie movie ever made.

Paranormal Activity is tracking close to The Blair Witch Project but cost almost 2/3 less to make.
    Zombieland is great and worth it! Well done!

I loved LOVED LOVED LOVED Where the Wild Things Are!!!!

That movie felt like therapy. I swear that I have probably never seen a film that felt quite so much like it was made for, even about me. A great watch, especially for anyone who was ever a Little Boy.

Quote Originally Posted by Uki View Post
    I loved LOVED LOVED LOVED Where the Wild Things Are!!!!

That movie felt like therapy. I swear that I have probably never seen a film that felt quite so much like it was made for, even about me. A great watch, especially for anyone who was ever a Little Boy.
    Can't wait to see it, and I think I was a little boy once. lol