Page 17 of 36 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Thread: Weekend Box Office Thread

Quote Originally Posted by IceWolf View Post
    Can't wait to see it, and I think I was a little boy once. lol
    The one thing I will say about Wild Things is it is NOT for kids at all. Nothing offensive, it's just very cerebral with very little action or child-level humor. It's very deep and "talky." We were going to take my stepson, but he didn't want to go, and twenty minutes in, I was grateful that he wasn't there, because he'd have been bored out of his mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderboy_JMB View Post
    The one thing I will say about Wild Things is it is NOT for kids at all. Nothing offensive, it's just very cerebral with very little action or child-level humor. It's very deep and "talky." We were going to take my stepson, but he didn't want to go, and twenty minutes in, I was grateful that he wasn't there, because he'd have been bored out of his mind.

Yeah thats what I heard, that its an adult movie and not in the violence, sex type way but the mature theme type way.

Paranormal Activity is slaying Saw VI at fewer venues. It made an estimated 7.6 million on Friday. Saw VI made 7 million.
    "My favorite Harry Potter movie is Troll."

Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    Paranormal Activity is slaying Saw VI at fewer venues. It made an estimated 7.6 million on Friday. Saw VI made 7 million.

Who has seen it?

They are saying it's the scariest movie of ALL time. My theater actually had a disclaimer up saying people have left the theater because they couldn't handle it. No refunds. lol So I do wanna see it.

Quote Originally Posted by IceWolf View Post
    Who has seen it?

They are saying it's the scariest movie of ALL time. My theater actually had a disclaimer up saying people have left the theater because they couldn't handle it. No refunds. lol So I do wanna see it.
    I saw it on Friday. It was good but not as amazing as the hype made it out to be. To be honest I left the theater feeling underwhelmed. . .and then on my way home I couldn't stop thinking about it. I had the worst time trying to sleep because I guess it scared me more than I thought it did. I definitely recommend seeing it in theaters for the sound quality alone. But it wasn't the scariest movie I've ever seen and I really can't believe people couldn't take it.

Paranormal Activity gets the number 1 spot this weekend (Oct. 23-25), while the new movies open short of expectations.

Becoming the biggest box office phenomenon of the year, Paramount’s “Paranormal Activity” easily took down “Saw VI” in grossing an estimated $22 million from 1,945 theaters to win the weekend and finish with an eye-popping cume of $62.5 million in its fifth frame.

“Saw VI” opened to an estimated $14.8 million from 3,036 theaters--less than half the opening gross of the previous four films in the horror franchise. It also came in below the original “Saw,” which opened just north of $18 million. Film placed No. 2.

The three other new nationwide releases came in on the lower end of expectations and couldn’t compete with a strong crop of holdovers.

Summit Entertainment’s family entry “Astro Boy” came in No. 6, grossing an estimated $7 million from 3,014 theaters. Toon was fully financed and produced by Imagi Entertainment.

Universal’s Halloween entry “Cirque du Freak: the Vampire’s Assistant” grossed an estimated $6.3 million from 2,754 runs to placed No. 8. Film was co-financed by U and Relativity Entertainment, and produced for $40 million.

Fox Searchlight’s Amelia Earhart biopic “Amelia,” directed by Mira Nair and starring Hilary Swank, placed No. 11 in grossing an estimated $4 million from 818 playdates for a solid screen average of $4,921 on the strength of older women. Pic’s fate will depend upon its playability.
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...%3D13%26cs%3D1

Quote Originally Posted by Skeletorfan View Post
    I saw it on Friday. It was good but not as amazing as the hype made it out to be. To be honest I left the theater feeling underwhelmed. . .and then on my way home I couldn't stop thinking about it. I had the worst time trying to sleep because I guess it scared me more than I thought it did. I definitely recommend seeing it in theaters for the sound quality alone. But it wasn't the scariest movie I've ever seen and I really can't believe people couldn't take it.

Cool, thanks for the review. I think maybe its overall appeal is the lasting effect it has had on people AFTER seeing it??

Doesn't it have shaky camera work like Blair Witch? I'm guessing motion sickness is the main reason why some people are leaving the theaters.

Blair Witch was 100 times worse with the shaky camera in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    Doesn't it have shaky camera work like Blair Witch? I'm guessing motion sickness is the main reason why some people are leaving the theaters.
    Almost none at all. It's on a stand most of the time.
    "It's not about how hard you can hit. It's about how hard you can get hit, how much you can take,
    and keep moving forward.
    That's how winning is done." -- Rocky Balboa

disappointing start for Michael Jackson's This Is It...

deadline.com:

THURSDAY NOON: Hollywood is predicting that Sony's This Is It will have trouble making its expected $50 million in 5 days domestically based on Wednesday's $7.4 million opening including $2.2M from Tuesday night. Today will probably come in at the $4M range. And estimates now are for $20+M for Fri/Sat/Sun. So that comes out to a 5-day number in the low $30sM. "And with Halloween killing Saturday, Sony'd better have a hell of a Sunday to make it much past $20M for the weekend," one rival studio exec emails. And with international figures coming in weaker than expected, "my $90M all-in number looks like a pipe dream."

deadline.com:
    Not sure what people were expecting, its a absolutely fantastic movie but at its core its a concert movie except worse because its basically just rehearsal footage due to his death. To date the biggest concert movie in history was last years Miley Cyrus at 65m worldwide

It will be interesting to see how word of mouth plays, its getting very good reviews which could lead it to do well past he rush of his fanbase.
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback

deadline.com:
    They were saying that when tickets went on sale a month ago, or whenever, that most of them sold out? Were those sales included in the figures? Or were they just over-hyping the advance sales?

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderboy_JMB View Post
    They were saying that when tickets went on sale a month ago, or whenever, that most of them sold out? Were those sales included in the figures? Or were they just over-hyping the advance sales?
    Yes, they were almost all day one sales, the shows which sold out would have been the Tuesday night premieres.

It seems like Hollywood in order to make this a story are not taking into account the Miley Cyrus concert(which holds the record for concert movies) was also boosted by the fact it was in 3-D which adds to the ticket price and revenue (otherwise Jessica Alba's horror movie would have been #1 the week the Miley concert debuted)

I am sure that it will recoup Sony's investment and then the home video sales should add to that, I was hoping for a christmas release but they are saying now due to theater protests it will come out in Jan or Feb 2010

No, Michael Jackson wasn't Batman or Miley Cyrus. But more important, he wasn't the Jonas Brothers.

Jackson's This Is It scored a $7.4 million opening day, Sony Pictures estimated today.

Among concert films, the take puts This Is It right behind the eye-popping opening day of Cyrus' Best of Both Worlds show and safely ahead of the Jonas' expectations-game loser, The 3D Concert Experience.

Comparisons between the three movies are far from perfect, not the least of which is because neither the Cyrus or Jonas Brothers film starred the world's biggest pop star in his final farewell.

So, given those high standards, how did This Is It measure up?

"This is kind of in line with what I thought," said Hollywood.com box-office analyst Paul Dergarabedian.

Which is another way of saying Dergarabedian didn't think This Is It, despite dominant advance-ticket sales, was ever going to be the musical version of Titanic. Much less The Dark Knight.

"You're not going to get a $40 million opening day. It's not going to be Dark Knight," Dergarabedian said. "It's not a genre movie."

Overall, This Is It grossed $20.1 million worldwide Wednesday, putting its studio already one-third the way home to covering its $60 million investment in the rehearsal footage of the late Jackson's never-to-be London concerts.

The studio was said to be expecting a strong weekend—although Dergarabedian doubted This Is It would have a Cyrus-big, $30 million weekend—and a strong overall run.

Right now, that run is only slated to last two weeks. But Hollywood tends to be flexible on such deadlines. As long as your film is more Cyrus than Jonas Brothers.
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

I did not enjoy Where The Wild Things Are

I thought it would be dark and gritty, kind of like the way The Never Ending Story was shot, with lots of night scenes, and a great fantastic mood.

To me, there was no mood. Just a bunch of big silly monsters performing over the top Matrix style action moves. Lame. I didn't feel for Max, and I didn't connect with him or any of the characters. I just wanted someone to slap him across the face for acting like a little turd.

The dialogue between the characters was utterly boring. I can't discuss it further because honestly, I had forgotten most of it. Smallville was capable of offering up more memorable lines, and Smallville had become virtually unwatchable a long time ago.

Highly forgettable. Boring. Not enjoyable.

4 out of 10

Oct. 30-Nov. 1 weekend box office estimates in millions:

1 Michael Jackson's This Is It $21.3 ($32.5)
    2 Paranormal Activity $16.5 ($84.8)
    3 Law Abiding Citizen $7.3 ($51.4)
    4 Couples Retreat $6.1 ($86.7)
    5 Saw VI $5.6 ($22.8)
    6 Where the Wild Things Are $5.1 ($61.8)
    7 The Stepfather $3.4 ($24.7)
    8 Astro Boy $3.0 ($10.9)
    9 Amelia $3.0 ($8.3)
    10 Cirque du Freak: The Vampire's Assistant $2.8 ($10.5)

This Is It makes less than what a lot of people originally thought it would, while Paranormal Activity continues to do well.

Wow Saw VI is stinking it up!

This is it did about what I thought, around $35m

Wonder if it will have any legs or if the fanbase was already satiated, apparently its doing well worldwide so that bodes good given Sonys $60m investment

LOS ANGELES — "Michael Jackson's This Is It" pulled in $101 million worldwide in its first five days, and distributor Sony is extending the farewell performance film beyond its planned two-week run.

The film was the No. 1 Halloween thriller domestically with a $21.3 million opening weekend, according to studio estimates Sunday.

The previous weekend's No. 1 movie, Paramount's low-budget horror sensation "Paranormal Activity," slipped to No. 2 with $16.5 million, lifting its total to $84.8 million.

"This Is It" raised its domestic total to $32.5 million. The movie pulled in $68.5 million overseas, including $10.4 million in Japan, $6.3 million in Germany, $5.8 million in France and $3.2 million in China.

"He's just loved everywhere on the planet," said Rory Bruer, head of distribution for Sony. "It doesn't matter if it's Asia, Africa, Australia, Europe, South America. Every continent in the world loved him and his music."

In Great Britain, where Jackson had planned a marathon series of 50 London concerts starting last July, the movie earned $7.6 million.

"This Is It" captures Jackson in behind-the-scenes performances in the weeks before his death last June, as he rehearsed his biggest hits for the London shows.

"This Is It" originally was scheduled for a theatrical run of only two weeks. The studio has extended it a few more weeks domestically, leaving it in theaters through Thanksgiving weekend, one of the year's busiest moviegoing times.

Read more at: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/..._n_341914.html

Movie mayhem!
    I Feel like for THis is It to be number one on Hween weekend is pretty impressive and I think the 20m isn't so bad, I mean most people are out doing stuff for Hween and the ones that aren't typically would pick scarey flix I'd think. I know I really want to see this is it but have waited just because things have been busy and I also chose to see a scarey movie for Hween when I went this weekend

paranormal activity was so lame and so utterly boring and forgettable I would like to find the people that made the movie and break their kneecaps for having me waste my money.

Seriously I heard people were leaving the theatre in tears it was supposedly that scary. well those people must all be walking bleeding vagina's because it was the lamest most boring movie ever. Not scary at all.
    Greater than the death of flesh is the death of hope, the death of dreams. Against this peril we can never surrender. G'Kar Babylon 5
    A warning on a chainsaw

DAVI MUST DIE!!

Quote Originally Posted by Duebert View Post
    paranormal activity was so lame and so utterly boring and forgettable I would like to find the people that made the movie and break their kneecaps for having me waste my money.

Seriously I heard people were leaving the theatre in tears it was supposedly that scary. well those people must all be walking bleeding vagina's because it was the lamest most boring movie ever. Not scary at all.
    good to know. renter it is.

Nov. 6-8 weekend box office estimates:

1) A Christmas Carol- $31,000,000
    2) This Is It- $14,000,000 ($57,855,000)
    3) The Men Who Stare at Goats- $13,309,000
    4) The Fourth Kind- $12,521,000
    5) Paranormal Activity- $8,600,000 ($97,430,000)
    6) The Box- $7,855,000
    7) Couples Retreat- $6,428,000 ($95,980,000)
    8) Law Abiding Citizen- $6,172,000 ($60,873,000)
    9) Where the Wild Things Are- $4,225,000 ($69,268,000)
    10) Astro Boy- $2,588,000 ($15,073,000)

Nov. 6-8 weekend box office estimates:

2) This Is It- $14,000,000 ($57,855,000)
    Sony should be very happy, it will easily pass the $60m they paid for the rights just in the US, and overseas it has already earned $129m bringing the 2 week total to a whopping $187m

They have extended it till the end of November so I think it will keep on trucking and probably top out around $70-80m for its US run which is on par with Miley Cyrus $67m run last year

And thats not even counting home video revnue when it releases next Spring

2012 has a big opening weekend, while A Christmas Carol has a good hold.

hollywoodreporter.com:
    Moviegoers said give us the apocalypse now as Sony's end-of-the-world epic "2012" topped the weekend boxoffice with a heaping $65 million in opening domestic coin.

Directed by Roland Emmerich ("Independence Day"), the effects-filled actioner cost $200 million to produce. But with a $225 million worldwide haul from simultaneous openings in 105 foreign territories, the more than 2 1/2-hour tentpole delivered a planetary payout on that investment at the high end of pre-release projections.

Disney's 3D animated feature "A Christmas Carol" – another pricey event pic with a reported $180 million budget -- grabbed second place as the family title slid a measly 26% from week-earlier opening grosses to $22.3 million on the frame and $63.3 million in cumulative boxoffice. Some $3.1 million from high-grossing Imax 3D screens helped shape the leggy performance.

The session's only other wide opener -- Focus Features' British rock comedy "Pirate Radio" -- unspooled outside the top 10 with $2.9 million from 882 playdates.

"Precious: Based on the Novel 'Push' by Sapphire" continued to impress as Lionsgate added 156 theaters for a total of 174 in the gritty drama's second outing and grossed $6.1 million, or a whopping $35,000 per venue. That was good for fourth place on the frame and pushed cume for the Lee Daniels-helmed pic to $8.9 million cume ahead of a scheduled expansion to about 600 locations on Friday.

Overture Films' George Clooney starrer "The Men Who Stare at Goats" dropped 51% in its sophomore session to $6.2 million in third place with a $23.3 million cume, while Universal's horror thriller "The Fourth Kind" slid 61% to $4.7 million in sixth place and a 10-day cume of $20.6 million. Warner Bros.' thriller "The Box" dropped 58% in its second weekend to $3.2 million in 10th place, with a $13.2 million cume.

He-Man.org Forum Admin TheShadow's Avatar
    Being a Cusack fan, I saw 2012 this weekend. It was actually pretty good; the visuals were amazing. Glad to see it did very well.

Just released 10/6/2013: EPISODE 55 of Masters Cast!
    The He-Man & She-Ra Podcast at www.masterscast.com

Quote Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
    Being a Cusack fan, I saw 2012 this weekend. It was actually pretty good; the visuals were amazing. Glad to see it did very well.
    Agreed. I was pleasantly surprised with how much I enjoyed this movie, having gone in expecting the worst. I was particularly surprised that I actually liked so many of the side characters, to the point I honestly felt bad when they bought it.

Definitely a great, fun movie. And absolutely amazing visuals. Some very chilling stuff.
    "It's not about how hard you can hit. It's about how hard you can get hit, how much you can take,
    and keep moving forward.
    That's how winning is done." -- Rocky Balboa