Page 23 of 36 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast

Thread: Weekend Box Office Thread

Harry Potter has his biggest opening yet.

Weekend box office for Nov. 19-21:

1 Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1 $125,120,000
    2 Megamind $16,175,000 -$109,476,000
    3 Unstoppable $13,100,000 -$41,962,000
    4 Due Date $9,150,000 -$72,669,000
    5 The Next Three Days $6,750,000
    6 Morning Glory $5,233,000 -$19,856,000
    7 Skyline $3,431,000 -$17,643,000
    8 Red $2,467,000 -$83,574,000
    9 For Colored Girls $2,400,000 -$34,540,000
    10 Fair Game $1,470,000 -$3,739,000

Just got back from The Rock's new movie "Faster".

Quick thoughts without spoiling much hopefully

It's a revenge movie. The Rock plays this guy whose half brother, and stepfather are career criminals, and said half brother is murdered by a group of other criminals that set them up on a bank heist. What makes it a little different from most other "You killed/framed/etc. _____ Now I'm gonna kill you" movies is they tried to have underlying themes about God, Forgiveness, Redemption, Karma, thrown in in an attempt to make the protaganist a conflicted person inside, as he hunts these people down he's also showing signs of regret, and remorse.

One of the problems I had was the
    Movie seemed to teeter between "Serious movie trying to convey that revenge is bittersweet", and "Action flick that doesn't take itself seriously" to me. I still enjoyed it but it didn't seem to know which it wanted to be. I'm probably over thinking it, but I dunno.
    Case in point, one of the characters is an assassin with OCD. They introduce him as this perfectionist, who has a dotting fiance who wants him to quit. So he says he's going to then doesn't want to, and they have this whole serious drama moment where they have a fight about it. I mean they play it very realistically, where you feel like he's being selfish, and immature about it.
    But then a few scenes later when he tries to kill The Rock they turn him comic relief villain. Not to the extreme of pantomime, but humorous. Again, they do a great job with this, and it adds to the complexity of the character. But it still leaves the viewer perplexed.

Anyway some of the other things I didn't like (And you'll have to see the movie to get these references)

The Cellphone scene because while it sets up that internal conflict, it also doesn't seem to go anywhere, and there's no real payoff for it.

Billy Bob Thorton's hair because while a minor quibble I couldn't help but laugh at the silliness of it all, and I know I'm being super nitpicky on this one, but it distracts away from his performance. He's still typecast as ornery junkie, but he does play a pretty good role in this. I just wish they would have shaved his head or something. Seriously, watch the movie, I think at least one of you will see what I'm getting at.

The Dollar Bill. When you see this part you will yell "OH COME ON!!!"

The ending. I'm not saying what happens, but it will have you going "REALLY?!?!?"

Things I LOVED about the movie

The Killer. This nameless assassin with OCD is a brilliant villain. Despite some of the inconsistency I complained about above, this guy is great. He will make you laugh, make you hate him, and he has a snark about him too.

Bad Guy Turned Baptist Preacher. This was another really great character. He's played spot on, truly sorrowful, and repentent of his past misdeeds. He's someone who shows the protagonist something true about himself too, that he hasn't completely lost himself to hate, and bitterness. Again it's a moment that will tug at your heartstrings, and it's almost as if you had changed the channel to another movie. But it's a powerful moment in the film. Even if you hate the rest of the movie you'll love this part. At least I did.

The Rock. I never thought I'd say it, but this is the first Dwayne Johnson movie I actually really enjoyed seeing him in. He's a tough guy, but not in the sense he's been in other tough guy movies. He has a sense again of drama in this that he does surprisingly well. And he does it all in facial expressions. He really doesn't talk a lot in this. But he conveys the conflict through expression. When he's second guessing himself you can see it.

Direction. The angles in this, and the cinematography are really well done here. You can always tell what's going on, the scenes flow together fairly seamlessly, and it works well. It's not something I really get into being I'm not a hardcore film buff, but it's something I noticed, and in an action movie that says something.

If I had to rate it I'd probably say around a 7/10. If it had stuck a little more toward either the action movie or drama movie I might have liked it a bit more, and I really did not like the ending to this. But that said, it was a pretty good movie in my opinion. I don't think this movie will do that great seeing how the other stuff in the theatre is a bit more hyped up. But it was a pretty good movie.
    The Deviot
    -------------------------
    "No matter how hot you think they are, Someone. Somewhere. Is tired of their crap."

-?

Tangled has a great holiday debut, while Harry remains on top.

weekend box office for November 11/26-11/28:
    1) Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1- $50,345,000 ($220,352,000)
    2) Tangled $49,100,000 ($69,000,000)
    3) Megamind $12,850,000 ($130,466,000)
    4) Burlesque $11,800,000 ($17,150,000)
    5) Unstoppable $11,750,000 ($60,726,000)
    6) Love and Other Drugs $9,850,000 ($14,000,000)
    7) Faster $8,708,000 ($12,200,000)
    8) Due Date $7,300,000 ($85,018,000)
    9) The Next Three Days $4,840,000 ($14,551,000)
    10) Morning Glory $4,030,000 ($26,451,000)

Kinda Glad Disney had more traditional story work well and there is room for another hit. Besides it targets the same audience really and HP 7 is worth being number 1. But even if wasn't HP always bows out around 300 million domestically when there BO run ends.

The Variety reviewer who was overly negative about Burlesque got owned...LOL

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118028032

'Potter' dominates holiday weekend
    'Hallows' tops newcomers with five-day estimates of $76.3 mil
    By Andrew Stewart

Moviegoers revealed a healthy appetite at the weekend's domestic box office, with Disney's "Tangled," the weekend's only wide 3D release, as the Thanksgiving sesh's top opener with a better-than-expected $69 million from 3,603 locations.

But the top spot on the B.O. chart still went to Warner Bros.' "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1" in its second frame, with five-day estimates totaling $76.3 million for a cume to date of $220.4 million.

The frame's other wide openers, "Burlesque," "Love and Other Drugs" and "Faster," launched in the low to mid-teens.

"Hallows" and "Tangled" easily outmatched last year's top two holiday performers, "Theand "The Blind Side," but that year also had four films in the top 10 to gross more than $20 million. Overall, the weekend was down slightly (5%) from 2009's five-day record-setting Thanksgiving sesh.

Steady holiday moviegoing carried over to the specialty front as the Weinstein Co.'s much-buzzed about "The King's Speech" posted the year's highest per-screen average with $87,448, outstripping the previous top per of $70,282 set by "The Kids Are All Right." "Speech" launched Friday, totaling a stellar $349,791 at four U.S. locations.

Fox Searchlight's "127 Hours" also bolstered the specialty biz, expanding to 293 locations for a five-day gross of $2.3 million and a cume of $4.4 million.

Sony/Screen Gems' "Burlesque" debuted in fourth place, with an estimated five-day take of $17.2 million from 3,037 locations, while "Love and Other Drugs," from 20th Century Fox, came in at No. 6, with an estimated $14 million at 2,455.

CBS Films' "Faster" -- the distrib's first release since "The Back-Up Plan" in April -- followed "Love and Other Drugs" with an estimated five-day total of $12.2 million from 2,454 locations.

Without any major day-and-date releases overseas, foreign auds continued to embrace "Hallows," which posted another outstanding weekend at the international B.O., with an estimated $113.2 million from 62 territories on more than 19,000 screens. "Hallows" debuted in France, where it became the territory's highest opener so far this year, with $19.1 million on 994 screens.

Disney's "Tangled" launched in seven markets repping just 15% of the international marketplace. It earned an estimated $13.8 million, of which $7.5 million (60%) came from Russia. The animated pic's Russian debut stands as the best opening in that market for a Disney toon, as well as the highest-grossing opening ever in Russia for a nonsequel animated pic.

Domestically, "Tangled" outstripped the previous Thanksgiving record-holder, "Enchanted," which opened with five-day totals of $49 million in 2007. The Mouse House's "Toy Story 2" went wide over the long holiday sesh in 1999 with $80.1 million, though that toon debuted in limited release the week before Thanksgiving weekend. Higher 3D ticket prices helped "Tangled," which saw 56% of its gross from 2,461 3D-equipped screens.

Disney holds the top five three-day Thanksgiving openings, with "101 Dalmatians" (1996) and "A Bug's Life" (1998) added to the mix.

While "Tangled" still played best with young girls (Disney made a major marketing push to attract more boys), the toon benefited as the frame's most prominent family title; "Hallows" skews slightly more toward teens and adult auds.

Disney distrib topper Chuck Viane described Thanksgiving as the ideal launchpad given that most families gathered for the holiday include extended relatives, meaning more ducats sold per family. "The number of people who come to the movies this weekend inside a family unit are bigger than normal, because you get grandma and grandpa as well," Viane said.

"Tangled," which scored an A+ CinemaScore rating, played to 61% females, with 53% of the pic's gross coming from moviegoers under 25.

Strong exit polls could bolster exhib appeal for "Tangled" when it faces the next 3D pic, "The Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader," on Dec. 10. Warners' "Yogi Bear" and Disney's "Tron: Legacy" further the 3D glut, launching Dec. 17, followed by Fox's "Gulliver's Travels" on Dec. 22. "Tangled" benefited most from Warners' decision to forgo a 3D "Hallows," leaving fourth-frame holdover "Megamind" its only 3D competish.

Indie distrib Freestyle Releasing, however, got lost amid the wash of 3D titles, securing just 42 3D locales for "Nutcracker in 3D." Pic stalled with moviegoers, grossing just $89,000 during its five-day debut.

In response to the pic's disappointing launch, a Freestyle rep said: "It would seem this very nontraditional telling of a classic was rejected by the target audience of moms and their children … (but) a continued rollout well beyond the initial five markets will hopefully find a receptive audience."

Despite its 2D-only format, "Hallows" continued to perform strongly, dropping a respectable 60% from its opening weekend, which included $24 million in midnight grosses. "Hallows" also held well in the Imax format, contributing three-day estimates of $5.8 million and a $31 million cume from the format so far.

Warners exec VP of domestic distribution Jeff Goldstein credited repeat business and a wider demo base, in part, for the film's success so far. "Hallows" has overperformed the franchise's six previous installments, with 2005's "Goblet of Fire" having totaled $209.4 million after its second week. "Goblet" launched the week before Thanksgiving.

Screen Gems' "Burlesque," with Sony distribbing, closely followed "Megamind" in standing, tallying an estimated five-day total of $17.6 million for a cume north of $130 million.

"Burlesque" received an overall A- aud appraisal but scored better with the under-35 crowd, which gave the pic an A rating. Male auds, who made up 31% of the film's opening demo, even gave "Burlesque" an above-average rating. Sony, however, expected the film to appeal heavily to gay men.

The film's marketing materials hyped stars Cher and Christina Aguilera, as well as the music, in trailers and online videos.

Rory Bruer, Sony prexy of worldwide distribution, credited stars Cher and Aguilera as the pic's primary draws. "Cher has a knockout song where even she said she hit a few notes she's never hit before."

Like "Burlesque," Fox's "Love and Other Drugs" tapped into a primarily female base, with 63%, and drew 60% of its aud over 25. The R-rated film, toplining Jake Gyllenhaal and Anne Hathaway, repped a significant marketing challenge for Fox as it isn't a typical romantic comedy. Pic got a B- CinemaScore rating, which could reflect audience confusion.

Still, Fox distribution exec Chris Aronson said the film debuted in line with studio expectations, boosted by a better-than-expected following from the 17-25 age group. "This movie wasn't made for teenagers; it was made for that college-aged section," Aronson said. "That's the audience that will carry the day."

Femme-driven pics like "Burlesque" and "Love and Other Drugs" were impacted most by Thanksgiving, while films targeting primarily male auds, including "Faster," benefited from that demo wanting to get out of the house.

"Faster," along with holdovers "Unstoppable" and "Due Date," saw sizable upticks from Wednesday to Thursday, with the latter two holding the best overall. Fox's "Unstoppable" dropped just 10% in its third frame, with an estimated $16.2 million, while Warners' buddy comedy "Due Date" fell 18%, with five-day totals at $10.4 million. "Unstoppable" has cumed $60.7 million; "Due Date," $85 million.

Meanwhile, "Faster" was the only top 10 performer to rise steadily each day through Saturday, when it jumped 7%. Pic's five-day total should help kick start a potentially profitable run, with CBS Films and Sony Intl. each having invested $12 million.

Contact Andrew Stewart at andrew.stewart@variety.com

He-Man.org Forum Admin TheShadow's Avatar
    I saw both Tangled and Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1 -- both were great in their own ways and definitely deserved the top 2 spots.

I hope Harry Potter helps to show that we do not need 3D on every movie. I specifically went to a dinky theater thinking Tangled would not be in 3D, but sadly it was. Then I found out two days later the nice theater had it in 2D .

Just released 10/6/2013: EPISODE 55 of Masters Cast!
    The He-Man & She-Ra Podcast at www.masterscast.com

I figured Burlesque would do pretty good, the reviews and word of mouth have been good. Plus its Cher (not to discount Christina but Cher is Cher)

It seems Tangleds name change and advertising to appeal to boys and adults has worked out, will be interesting to see when it crosses $100m if Disneys recent attitude on fairy tales changes (since Princess and the Frog got pushed based on the success of Enchanted which they did not really back at the time)
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by markatisu View Post
    It seems Tangleds name change and advertising to appeal to boys and adults has worked out, will be interesting to see when it crosses $100m if Disneys recent attitude on fairy tales changes (since Princess and the Frog got pushed based on the success of Enchanted which they did not really back at the time)
    I agree that the name change and advertising worked. There was a highly annoying couple behind me with their child (the child was behaved, the couple was not). Anyway, the child was a boy and when Flynn first came on the screen he shouted "IT'S THE BOY!!!!!"

The problem with Frog vs Enchanted as well is that Enchanted was really good and had great music... Frog not so much.

Tangled takes the number 1 spot this weekend from Potter. Burlesque got third, but it probably won't make its budget back during its box office run ($55 million dollar budget-not including marketing).

hollywoodreporter.com:
    Disney's Tangled, an animated adventure based on the Rapunzel fable, rang up $21.5 million during the weekend to top the domestic heap in the 3D release's sophomore session in multiplexes.

Warner Bros.' Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1 settled for second place after two frames atop the box-office rankings, fetching $16.7 million in the latest session for an incredible $244.2 million in cumulative box office through the action fantasy's third weekend. That puts it comfortably ahead of any of the six previous Potter pictures for a similar span of time.

Tangled continued to draw about 55% of its business from 3D screens, but Disney distribution boss Chuck Viane said he was pleased with the strength both of 2D and 3D receipts.

"Quality rises to the top," Viane said. "Meantime, we have the holidays ahead of us, and therein lies the strength of our long-term prospects."

Despite a 56% weekend-over-weekend decline, Tangled totes a $96.5 million cume since unspooling on the Wednesday before Thanksgiving.

Three other films posted satisfactory second frames, despite prospective moviegoers' preoccupation with the start of holiday shopping in an annual problem for Hollywood during the first weekend of December:

* Sony Screen Gems' song- and dance-filled Burlesque slid 49% to $6.1 million in a third place tie with Fox's Unstoppable; the bronze medalers carry cumes of $27 million and $68.9 million, respectively.

* Fox's romantic comedy Love and Other Drugs dropped 42% to $5.7 million in fifth place and a $22.6 million cume.

* CBS Films' Dwayne Johnson actioner Faster tumbled 55% to $3.8 million in eighth place and an $18.1 million cume.

The weekend's only wide opener -- Relativity-distributed martial arts Western The Warrior's Way -- unspooled unimpressively in ninth place, fetching just $3.1 million from 1,622 theaters, or less than half the number playing Tangled.
    Last edited by Firefly; December 5, 2010 at 06:23pm.

Nice to see Disney pick up a #1 with Tangled!

Leader of the Autobots Optimus Prime's Avatar
    Homeworld: Cybertron. the great Autobot city of Iacon
    I thought Driver was pretty good
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings, but freedom isn't free."
    http://www.myspace.com/tkd_trevor

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    Tangled takes the number 1 spot this weekend from Potter. Burlesque got third, but it probably won't make its budget back during its box office run ($55 million dollar budget-not including marketing).

hollywoodreporter.com:
    I'm guessing Burlesque will top out around $40 million domestically. It's gonna have to do amazing internationally though, 'cause the studio gets less of a percentage on those ticket sales. I think the DVD will do quite well.

As for Tangled, that sucker has a $260 million production budget. Do you think it can make that back domestically? When you do the math, Burlesque actually made back more of its production budget.

Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    As for Tangled, that sucker has a $260 million production budget. Do you think it can make that back domestically? When you do the math, Burlesque actually made back more of its production budget.
    You are right there, it is the second most expensive film made to date. The high budget on Tangled is probably also partly due to Disney rebooting it.

On the flip side, though, Tangled promotes and sells a ton of merchandise in addition to just ticket sales.

Burlesque has some tie-in/licened products as well, though I'm not sure how much revenue those items are generating. And marketing is usually said to be about half the production budget, but I think some deals for cross-promotion may have been struck because, for instance, they name drop "Dancing With The Stars" in the movie and there were TV spots for Burlesque around the finale.

Profit-wise, I think Christina "the music artist and actor" and her label, RCA, will be the ones who benefit the most from the movie. Not that Christina totally faded into obscurity or anything, but the long breaks between her albums and radio stations refusing to embrace anything off Bionic (they're STILL mainly playing tracks off her Stripped album!) took a toll on her image and sales. From my point of view, Burlesque helped to reconnect some of the old fans with Christina and introduce her to a new generation in a really effective way.

I dunno. I guess the public must have her pegged as some sort of throwback Queen, because they really seem to be digging the material on this soundtrack. In the second week of US sales, it will be almost 10 times or more than that of Tangled's soundtrack. Tangled's soundtrack only sold about 12,000 or so after two weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
    You are right there, it is the second most expensive film made to date. The high budget on Tangled is probably also partly due to Disney rebooting it.

On the flip side, though, Tangled promotes and sells a ton of merchandise in addition to just ticket sales.
    Yeah their $260m budget includes the 8 reboots they did, 3 directors, and all the advertising.

Its not really a truthful scope of how much the film costs, its similar to Superman Returns where WB rolled all the reboots and changes into the total budget cost

They will make it back though, the film will gross more than $100m and possibly could hit $200m if it keeps up through the Holidays (Enchanted was able to do that and Tangled is far outpacing Princess and the Frog)

Toys R Us is doing a "Buy $40 in Tangled Merchandise and get free movie tickets" as are some other retailers so after Christmas Disney should be pleased. Not to mention Disneys home video sales are sick given they basically force everyone to buy the Blu-Ray combo packs and pass out $10 off coupons like they are going out of style.
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Burlesque has some tie-in/licened products as well, though I'm not sure how much revenue those items are generating. And marketing is usually said to be about half the production budget, but I think some deals for cross-promotion may have been struck because, for instance, they name drop "Dancing With The Stars" in the movie and there were TV spots for Burlesque around the finale.
    I wouldn't attempt to compare Burlesque's tie-ins with that of the mass-marketing power of a Disney feature.

Also remember that in all honesty, Burlesque's performance should be compared to other live-action musicals, not Tangled -- but even then, it wasn't based on an existing musical (like Chicago, Rent, even High School Musical 3) so even there you have wiggle room.

I dunno. I guess the public must have her pegged as some sort of throwback Queen, because they really seem to be digging the material on this soundtrack. In the second week of US sales, it will be almost 10 times or more than that of Tangled's soundtrack. Tangled's soundtrack only sold about 12,000 or so after two weeks.
    I think the public would rather see Christina Aguilera doing this sort of music and not trying to do the stuff Lady Gaga and Britney do, which is why there would be better response to the material from the film.

Also remember that Christina has done performances to promote the Burlesque music. Plus, in general, Christina and Cher would most likely sell more albums than Mandy Moore -- plus she hasn't been out promoting the Tangled stuff (and there really is only one good song in the movie anyway). I guess what to pay attention to would be the Oscar nominations song-wise.

Quote Originally Posted by markatisu View Post
    Yeah their $260m budget includes the 8 reboots they did, 3 directors, and all the advertising.

Its not really a truthful scope of how much the film costs, its similar to Superman Returns where WB rolled all the reboots and changes into the total budget cost
    The way I see it, regardless of how much the film cost to make, the studio still has to recoup the money spent over the 6 years or so of development that went into it.

They will make it back though, the film will gross more than $100m and possibly could hit $200m if it keeps up through the Holidays (Enchanted was able to do that and Tangled is far outpacing Princess and the Frog)
    It'll be tough, even with all the licensed products. From what I understand, the studio is only entitled to approx. 40-50% of the ticket sales in the US and much much less internationally, due to all the expenses involved.

I wouldn't attempt to compare Burlesque's tie-ins with that of the mass-marketing power of a Disney feature.
    Oh, no doubt. The comparison was simply to make the point that, much like Burlesque, Tangled still has a major uphill battle to make a profit at the box office.

Also remember that Christina has done performances to promote the Burlesque music. Plus, in general, Christina and Cher would most likely sell more albums than Mandy Moore -- plus she hasn't been out promoting the Tangled stuff (and there really is only one good song in the movie anyway). I guess what to pay attention to would be the Oscar nominations song-wise.
    That is true, but to be honest, the soundtrack didn't majorly take off until Burlesque opened at theatres and the audience could connected the music to the visuals. (Just look at all the international charts/iTunes pages where Burlesque hasn't opened yet. Not charting high anywhere...yet) Also, there was no true single serviced to radio stations, even though "Express" was premiered on KIIS FM. They said they would look into doing a single again after the movie opened (it's looking like they may send "Show Me How You Burlesque", since it turned out to be the most popular track) I suspect they didn't have a single come out earlier because it could possibly flop (no radio play) and give the public a bad impression. As for Cher and Christina selling more albums in general - Well, you could counter that by saying that Tangled had a much larger audience to promote the music to.

The way I see it, regardless of how much the film cost to make, the studio still has to recoup the money spent over the 6 years or so of development that went into it.
    Yeah but they understood that going in, its not like they released the movie and thought "oh we are really going to make back the money for all our botched attempts". To do that in the theaters it would need a hit of PIXAR or Lion King proportions. And Lion King helped them renovate their entire parks system

I would say if the film can hit $150-200m in the US then Disney will be pleased

It'll be tough, even with all the licensed products. From what I understand, the studio is only entitled to approx. 40-50% of the ticket sales in the US and much much less internationally, due to all the expenses involved.
    Not so tough for Disney, remember they are the manufacturer and distributor for their movies (Walt Disney Home Entertainment) and games (Disney Interactive). They also get a bigger cut of home video due to their early jump onto the Blu-Ray platform. All this was done a few years back to avoid having to rely solely on box office profits.

Oh, no doubt. The comparison was simply to make the point that, much like Burlesqu
    I disagree as you are not thinking big picture here. Tangled's box office will give Disney the much needed boost in their animation that Princess & The Frog was unable to deliver. On the flip, Burlesque isn't going to have anyone necessarily jumping for more Cher or Christina Aguilera movies.

Heroic Eternian Mechanic TechTrek's Avatar
    my two daughters and wife absolutely loved tangled and, my wife said it was very well done.

curious to see it when we get it on dvd.

Movie mayhem!
    I disagree as you are not thinking big picture here. Tangled's box office will give Disney the much needed boost in their animation that Princess & The Frog was unable to deliver. On the flip, Burlesque isn't going to have anyone necessarily jumping for more Cher or Christina Aguilera movies.
    I'm less worried about that and more worried about how movie musicals are doing and what it may mean for them. They seam to be really hit and miss.. even a big one like RENT didn't do very well. I supose maybe the make some of it up with higher album sales and probably do pretty well with DVD sales and stuff... but still...

Quote Originally Posted by Patreek View Post
    I'm less worried about that and more worried about how movie musicals are doing and what it may mean for them. They seam to be really hit and miss.. even a big one like RENT didn't do very well. I supose maybe the make some of it up with higher album sales and probably do pretty well with DVD sales and stuff... but still...
    Your perspective is a bit flawed

In 2006-2008 you had quite a few musical movies really take off (Mamma Mia, High School Musical 3, Enchanted, Sweeney Todd, Hairspray, Across the Universe, and Dreamgirls) almost all turning a profit when all was said and done and being nominated for awards. It has been a constant stream of hits with few failures.

Rent came in a very iffy time for musicals, when studios were not sure where to go after the smash success of Chicago.

I think Burlesque is doing fine and will do excellent on home video, regardless of budget it continues the healthy trend of musical movies doing decent to good business.

Movie mayhem!
    Across the Universe did pretty badly at the box office I thought. Also seems like Many of these movies are saved by abroad. Like Sweeny, it didn't really do very well here, same with Phantom. Luckily they scored over seas.

You are basing your perspective off a few isolated years, it was a constant stream of hits for two years two years ago.... when you look at the last 8ish years there have been some pretty big misses scattered around, and most importantly some very recent. I just don't feel like the genre is necessarily secure enough yet that it can weather as many misfires as other genres can and they are typically expensive movies to make. Nine was a pretty big failure especially given all the star power behind it... should have at least had a moderately good opening, seems like Burlesque isn't going to do much more than maybe make its money back, Idlewood didn't do very wel And other than Jersey Boys maybe (thought who knows that could end up being another Producers which did really badly) it doesn't sound like there is anything coming up that is much of a sure thing... but lots of stuff that sounds like it could easily fail. :-/ l... next up is that Dancing with the Stars remake which I suspect will be a dud, and Rock of Ages... which I could also see being a dud. I just wouldn't be surprised if we are in for another lull.

I think you are right though, I think cd and dvd sales will help Burlesque a lot, and hopefully international sales will too with box office.

If the movie bombed with audiences, then I would agree. - But most folks were loving it, so I don't think a box office bomb would prevent either of them from getting other roles. And they could always do a Burlesque sequel on a smaller scale.

CNN actually did a piece the other day on Burlesque saying that the Burlesque entertainment industry is booming thanks to interest in the movie. Christina and Cher are giving the economy a boost.

Anyhow, we'll see what happens. Usually the vast majority of movies don't make a profit at the box office. The money is in DVD sales, licensing etc., but it takes time to make a profit.

Quote Originally Posted by Patreek View Post
    I have a theory, and it could be wrong, but it seems like when there is more star power in the musical, they do better.

Mama Mia, Hairspray, Dreamgirls, Chicago, and High School Musical 3 had a lot of names in them. Rent, I can't recall anyone too famous (plus it has that annoying song about measuring minutes). Out of these I only saw Hairspray and HSM3.

If the movie bombed with audiences, then I would agree. - But most folks were loving it, so I don't think a box office bomb would prevent either of them from getting other roles. And they could always do a Burlesque sequel on a smaller scale.
    I wouldn't call Burlesque a bomb in general anyway; I just wouldn't call it a runaway success either.