Page 24 of 36 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast

Thread: Weekend Box Office Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Patreek View Post
    Across the Universe did pretty badly at the box office I thought. Also seems like Many of these movies are saved by abroad. Like Sweeny, it didn't really do very well here, same with Phantom. Luckily they scored over seas.
    Across the Universe did horrible at the Box Office but took it in soundtrack wise and helped Sony continue to sell the Beatles catalog in new ways.

Its all in perspective, Sweeny for example did not take it in at the box office but did well in enough to where home video and more importantly the Awards season rewarded it in kind.

Its not always about the money, I think a lot of people tend to forget that. Nobody is going to care in 10 years if a studio turned a profit on a movie if it is nominated (and even better) if it wins Academy Awards/Golden Globes. Prestige helps financing, financing helps name recognition, and name recognition usually builds a fanbase (look at the Director of The Dark Knight director Chris Nolan to see this in motion right now with Memento-->Batman Begins-->Prestige-->TDK-->Inception)

Especially in regards to Burlesque, Christina needed a face lift on her image and I think she is going to benefit in spades from this movie. That is probably the most important thing any fan of the movie should care about.

You are basing your perspective off a few isolated years, it was a constant stream of hits for two years two years ago.... when you look at the last 8ish years there have been some pretty big misses scattered around, and most importantly some very recent.
    Well that is only if you are praying for some kind of miracle musical rebirth which will never ever happen. If you look at the last decade of musical of film you will see there is usually 1 or 2 hits a year, some decent ones and a bunch of bombs. But that is the same for almost every genre in existence.

Also you listed Nine which was a disappointment but you ignored Fame which made back more than its budget from US sales alone and 3x it overseas. They cannot all be winners man, and I would challenge you to find a genre which has nothing but hits
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback

Movie mayhem!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
    I have a theory, and it could be wrong, but it seems like when there is more star power in the musical, they do better.

Mama Mia, Hairspray, Dreamgirls, Chicago, and High School Musical 3 had a lot of names in them. Rent, I can't recall anyone too famous (plus it has that annoying song about measuring minutes). Out of these I only saw Hairspray and HSM3.
    IDK about that... look at NINE, it had Nicole Kidman, Judi Dench, Penelope Cruz, Fergie, Daniel Day Lewis, Marion Cotilard and Sophia Loren in it... and it bombed. Producers didn't do well either. I didn't see HSM3... other than Efron who else was in it that was a big star?

Quote Originally Posted by markatisu View Post

Well that is only if you are praying for some kind of miracle musical rebirth which will never ever happen. If you look at the last decade of musical of film you will see there is usually 1 or 2 hits a year, some decent ones and a bunch of bombs. But that is the same for almost every genre in existence.

Also you listed Nine which was a disappointment but you ignored Fame which made back more than its budget from US sales alone and 3x it overseas. They cannot all be winners man, and I would challenge you to find a genre which has nothing but hits
    I'm not saying that other genres don't have similar failures but i mean I feel like musical movies are a much smaller nitch group. You don't get a musical opening every month like you do with other genres, so the few that there are have more pressure on them. But I can see what you mean about box office not being the only thing thats important necessarily. I mean ... look at how much money Showgirls seems to be making since it died theatres. lol

I didn't mean to ignore fame, I just wasn't aware that it did that well over seas. I just knew that it didn't do well here but I also wasn't aware that its budget was so low which I see looking at it now on mojo so even though it did badly here it still did a few mil over its budget.

I just like this whole musicals every year thing thats been going on, and don't want to go back to a musical every 5+ years, What took musicals down in film anyway, anyone know?

Also, on the side, did anyone else see the movie musical "ONCE" from a few years back. I really love that movie.
    Last edited by Patreek; December 8, 2010 at 04:19am. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

He-Man.org Forum Admin TheShadow's Avatar
    IDK about that... look at NINE, it had Nicole Kidman, Judi Dench, Penelope Cruz, Fergie, Daniel Day Lewis, Marion Cotilard and Sophia Loren in it... and it bombed.
    There are always exceptions to the rule. Although isn't Nicole Kidman labeled as box office poison these days? I don't think I've seen anything from her since Bewitched (which was a disgrace).

I've never even heard of this one. Things like Chicago and Mama Mia -- the general public I think is more familiar with these.

Producers didn't do well either.
    I don't think Matthew Broderick and Nathan Lane are box office draws. Just because their stage show was popular does not mean it will translate to the mass audience of movie goers but I can definitely see the logic as to why they were used for the film version.

I didn't see HSM3... other than Efron who else was in it that was a big star?
    HSM3 had the Disney factor of being an existing, extremely popular franchise (remember HSM2 had 18 million viewers for its premiere on Disney Channel). Plus it had a combination of "hot at the time" Disney stars (Efron, Ashley Tisdale, Vanessa Hudgens) in it.

Just released 10/6/2013: EPISODE 55 of Masters Cast!
    The He-Man & She-Ra Podcast at www.masterscast.com

IDK about that... look at NINE, it had Nicole Kidman, Judi Dench, Penelope Cruz, Fergie, Daniel Day Lewis, Marion Cotilard and Sophia Loren in it... and it bombed. Producers didn't do well either. I didn't see HSM3... other than Efron who else was in it that was a big star?
    Like Jon said HSM3 did not need a big star, the soundtrack for HSM1 and HSM2 were Billboards biggest selling albums of their release years and they had just come off a concert tour as well as the highest ratings Disney Channel had ever seen for a feature.

Nine should have done better, it did not so not sure what you are looking for holding that up as an example. There are numerous counter examples to Nine so we just should accept people did not like it I guess.

I'm not saying that other genres don't have similar failures but i mean I feel like musical movies are a much smaller nitch group. You don't get a musical opening every month like you do with other genres, so the few that there are have more pressure on them. But I can see what you mean about box office not being the only thing thats important necessarily. I mean ... look at how much money Showgirls seems to be making since it died theatres. lol
    Well do you want a musical opening every month? Like Disney features, a lot of musicals try to hedge their bets on name stars and good singing. Other movie genres are a lot cheaper because they do not require the sets, choreography, or promotion.

I didn't mean to ignore fame, I just wasn't aware that it did that well over seas. I just knew that it didn't do well here but I also wasn't aware that its budget was so low which I see looking at it now on mojo so even though it did badly here it still did a few mil over its budget.
    Well you are looking at "doing well" in a vacuum when you look at musicals. A musical for the most part today is designed to make its money back and promote the record sales. It is rare you have something like Dreamgirls or Chicago which comes along and just dominates. Soundtrack sales and home video do not die so the theater run is the 1st in a long line profit, that was not really around in the 80's and early 90's.

I just like this whole musicals every year thing thats been going on, and don't want to go back to a musical every 5+ years, What took musicals down in film anyway, anyone know?
    The rise of music in film, so the 1980's and 1990's happened. The industry realized it could make more money throwing music onto the soundtrack and the end credits. Chicago and Moulin Rouge are largely credited by many for returning the musical to its right place in film, and many musicals were greenlit and financed after that.
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Movie mayhem!

I've never even heard of this one. Things like Chicago and Mama Mia -- the general public I think is more familiar with these.
    I don't think Chicago was anymore known than Nine before the movie came, rather I feel like everyone knows about Chicago now because of the movie. I think people are much more away of broadway in general due to Chicago. Its interesting there was a lot of worry I remember that you only made a movie of a musical after it has closed or is ready to close, the general thought because after they have seen the movie they aren't going to go to the show. But instead it didn't just breath new life and staying power into Chicago on Bway, it really breathed new life in to Broadway as a whole.

Mamma Mia I think thats fair though partly because it exists in a different time for musical theater and its VERY popular, and then you have the whole abba aspect.

I don't think Matthew Broderick and Nathan Lane are box office draws. Just because their stage show was popular does not mean it will translate to the mass audience of movie goers but I can definitely see the logic as to why they were used for the film version.
    I was going to just say yea but what about Uma Thurman, but she's been kinda low profile the last few years huh? I was pretty surprised about Producers not doing well. And I guess this was part of my point originally, when I said these things are hits and misses I also kinda meant like it seems really hard to predict what audiences are going to like. A lot of people thought Producers was a sure thing. Fame was expected to do much better here too due to the HSM crowd. I supose to a certain extent as Mark said before that happens with most genres, for what ever reason I just am noticing it more with this genre.

HSM3 had the Disney factor of being an existing, extremely popular franchise (remember HSM2 had 18 million viewers for its premiere on Disney Channel). Plus it had a combination of "hot at the time" Disney stars (Efron, Ashley Tisdale, Vanessa Hudgens) in it.
    Oh I totally agree, I was expecting it to do really well because of this. I really was just asking about other stars because I didn't see it and you had put it in that list as an example of that. I thought maybe since it was a theater version maybe they were able to get some other people in it. I guess I can see your rational of mentioning though because DISNEY itself can be considered a star. haha

Like Jon said HSM3 did not need a big star, the soundtrack for HSM1 and HSM2 were Billboards biggest selling albums of their release years and they had just come off a concert tour as well as the highest ratings Disney Channel had ever seen for a feature.
    I feel like you think I'm purposely trying to be argumentative or something and I'm really not. I'm sorry if it seems like it. Jon included it in his list of movies that did well due to the stars it had in it, I hadn't seen it and really don't know anything about it so I really was just asked what other big stars were in it because I was curious.

Nine should have done better, it did not so not sure what you are looking for holding that up as an example. There are numerous counter examples to Nine so we just should accept people did not like it I guess.
    Just was mentioning it again because of what Jon had mentioned and with Nine you couldn't ask for a movie more fill with big names. I definitely except that people didn't like it, I mean... I liked it, but as I watched it the whole time I was thinking, man most people are going to hate this. After seeing it opening night I didn't expect it to do well, I assumed word of mouth would kill it. I was just mostly surprised by its opening, I assumed that the big stars would at least make the opening a success.

Well do you want a musical opening every month? Like Disney features, a lot of musicals try to hedge their bets on name stars and good singing. Other movie genres are a lot cheaper because they do not require the sets, choreography, or promotion.
    I do! I looooove them! :-)

Well you are looking at "doing well" in a vacuum when you look at musicals. A musical for the most part today is designed to make its money back and promote the record sales. It is rare you have something like Dreamgirls or Chicago which comes along and just dominates. Soundtrack sales and home video do not die so the theater run is the 1st in a long line profit, that was not really around in the 80's and early 90's.
    As I said I see what you are saying now about the box office being less important for movie musicals. I wasn't really thinking about all of that before. I mean while I know a lot about musical theater, I'm obviously not an expert on the movie industry. I was speaking as a fan who sees a pretty new rebirth of a genre, which has very few movies coming out each year. When just looking at box office I don't think its THAT big of a stretch to feel like a few years of under performance could make movie musicals become much more sporadic again. Thank you for educating me though. now i know. (edit: thats sounds sarcastic its really not, I didn't think of that stuff before, and I"m much less worried about movie musicals now.)

Thats interesting, I would have thought it was due to a bunch of bombs/change in audience tastes. Thats too bad, sounds like the industry killed them just because something else was easier. They only saw them as a way to promote music before or something? While I know a lot about musicals and broadway.

Anyway, I feel like I'm driving this thread off track so feel free to push it back on. lol

I supose to a certain extent as Mark said before that happens with most genres, for what ever reason I just am noticing it more with this genre.
    Yeah I think because you are more interested in musicals you notice when one tanks and another succeeds. I like musicals too but I would much prefer 1-2 good ones a year then a slew of crap ones that make the genre look bad

I feel like you think I'm purposely trying to be argumentative or something and I'm really not. I'm sorry if it seems like it. Jon included it in his list of movies that did well due to the stars it had in it, I hadn't seen it and really don't know anything about it so I really was just asked what other big stars were in it because I was curious.
    Its OK, we were just pointing out why it was successful, its big stars were mainly because they were big on TV. I prefer my musicals with less stars tbh

As I said I see what you are saying now about the box office being less important for movie musicals. I wasn't really thinking about all of that before.
    Well just to clear things up I am not trying to imply they can all tank either

Its just there is more revenue available for them so the box office is flexible.

Anyway, I feel like I'm driving this thread off track so feel free to push it back on. lol
    Actually this is probably the most discussion we have had for some time, usually its just Firefly posting the box office receipts.

Movie mayhem!
    Alright, I just don't want to monopolize too much here lol... so feel free to change gears anytime.

You know taking what you said about fan base... I think musicals have sort of been out of rotation for long enough that just like a director or performer would grow a fan base, maybe thats what needs/is happening for musicals as a genre. I think we see that teenagers seem to have really embraced them with HSM and now with GLEE and maybe in ten years as that audience grows we'll see more musical love? Would be cool anyway.

But then one could say, well you had Grease and Fame TV show and they still didn't do well. But then, as you said the movie industry changed ears with the way they put music out there and so they didn't have big movies coming all the time to keep up that momentum. So maybe there is an opportunity here.

I have never seen seen the Fame TV show, i really need to. Did anyone else? How much music was in it? Was it akin to Glee or most like one song per ep? or more like a song every few eps.

You know taking what you said about fan base... I think musicals have sort of been out of rotation for long enough that just like a director or performer would grow a fan base, maybe thats what needs/is happening for musicals as a genre. I think we see that teenagers seem to have really embraced them with HSM and now with GLEE and maybe in ten years as that audience grows we'll see more musical love? Would be cool anyway.
    Well HSM proved that is already working, its one of things that makes Glee such a success. I argue there would be no Glee if HSM did not come around in 2006/07. More and more kids are not thinking musicals are bad, but that its a part of entertainment.

But then one could say, well you had Grease and Fame TV show and they still didn't do well. But then, as you said the movie industry changed ears with the way they put music out there and so they didn't have big movies coming all the time to keep up that momentum. So maybe there is an opportunity here.
    That was a bit different, FAME was a TV show based on a musical and Grease was a big time musical when the Bee Gees were red hot (Barry Gibb wrote the theme song).

I have never seen seen the Fame TV show, i really need to. Did anyone else? How much music was in it? Was it akin to Glee or most like one song per ep? or more like a song every few eps.
    It was nothing like Glee, Glee essentially is a CD/iTunes release wrapped in a thinly veiled story. Its accessible to audiences and entertaining. Fame was a drama about a performing arts high school.

If musicals owe anything to TV I think it would be to American Idol. That gave rise to the notion that singing in general was hip and not something to be ashamed of, which is something we did not have the two decades prior.

Movie mayhem!
    Interesting, yea i'd agree with all that. Its interesting how many TV shows have tried to do the musical format in the last few years. 5 just in the last 5 years I think, and now that Glee is such a success I've been reading about a few pilots that are due next year.

The 3rd Narnia flick opens in number one, but both it and The Tourist have disappointing debuts. Narnia's budget wasn't as big as the last one, but the chances of another Narnia film aren't as good now. I would have liked to have seen all the books made into movies. I don't think the snow storms that a lot of the country got this weekend helped.

hollywoodreporter.com:

The voyage has marked a rocky start.

Fox's 3D action fantasy The Chronicles of Narnia: Voyage of the Dawn Treader tread uneasily into movie theaters with a disappointing $24.5 million weekend, while still managing to top the domestic box office. The third installment based on C.S. Lewis' book series must chart a more placid theatrical course if it's to validate the studio's partnership with Walden Media on Dawn Treader.

Disney dumped the family franchise following a disappointing first sequel, and it remains uncertain if Fox will take on a fourth Narnia picture. Fox debuted Dawn Treader in 1,988 3D locations and a total 3,555 theaters, with the 3D auditoriums accounting for 54% of opening coin.

The weekend's only other wide opener -- Sony-distributed action thriller The Tourist, starring Angelina Jolie and Johnny Depp -- booked second place in a tourist-class debut of just $17 million. Disney's 3D animated adventure Tangled was third in its third session with $14.6 million and $115.6 million in cumulative box office, while the Relativity-distributed martial arts Western The Warrior's Way dropped from the top 10 with a big 69% tumble in its second frame to collect just $941,000 for a $4.9 million cume.

Helmed by Michael Apted (The World Is Not Enough), Dawn Treader cost an estimated $145 million, including Australian tax credits. That compares to the $200 million negative cost on May 2008 sequel The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian, on which Disney was faulted for overspending and then slotting in the summer instead of the holiday season that worked so well for December 2005's The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe.

The first Narnia picture opened with a franchise-best $65.6 million en route to ring up $291.7 million domestically. Caspian debuted with $55 million and collected $141.6 million in total U.S. and Canadian coin.

Dawn Treader also has sailed into 85 overseas territories, ringing up $67 million in international coin during the weekend and $81 million in total foreign lucre since its earlier bow in a handful of countries.

"On the domestic side, our best days are still ahead of us with the school holidays and Christmas yet to come," Fox senior vp distribution Chris Aronson said.

Exit surveys showed patrons enjoyed Dawn Treader, Aronson added. As for the prospect of another Narnia installment, "It's too early to say," he said.

Rated PG, Dawn Treader attracted audiences comprised 51% of females, with 52% of patrons aged 25 or older and 44% of support coming from family moviegoers.

Produced by Graham King's GK Films for roughly $100 million, Sony covered prints and advertising only on Tourist and will reap a distribution fee representing a low double-digit percentage of total revenue in global markets handled.

The PG-13 picture attracted opening audiences skewing 55% female, with 53% of patrons aged 30 or older.

"The pictures is going to work out fine, because this is a world play," Sony distribution boss Rory Bruer said.

Only a few foreign territories opened the film this weekend, with Tourist visiting several additional countries during the next two frames.

Meantime, the industry failed to best its year-earlier performance for a fourth consecutive weekend at the start of the holiday box-office season. The session's top 10 films fetched less than $83 million, roughly matching top performers' contributions in the same frame last year.

Hollywood has just three sessions left in its box-office year. The industry already is certain of a downtick in annual admissions, while even matching last year's theatrical revenue remains an iffy proposition.

Three movies open wide on Friday: Sony's romantic comedy How Do You Know, Disney's scifi actioner Tron: Legacy and Warner Bros.' family comedy Yogi Bear.

Dang. That opening on Narnia isn't even half of (what was considered) the last domestic box office bomb.

Black Swan gets 6th place despite only being in 90 theaters.

weekend box office numbers for 12/10-12/12:

1 The Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader $24,500,000
    2 The Tourist $17,000,000
    3 Tangled $14,559,000 -$115,623,000
    4 Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1 $8,500,000 -$257,688,000
    5 Unstoppable $3,750,000 -$74,272,000
    6 Black Swan $3,332,000 -$5,611,000
    7 Burlesque $3,200,000 -$32,574,000
    8 Love and Other Drugs $3,000,000 -$27,648,000
    9 Due Date $2,545,000 -$94,884,000
    10 Megamind $2,510,000 -$140,202,000

That's really amazing!

Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    That's really amazing!
    Its getting incredible word of mouth and there is that Kunis/Portman lesbian scene which is bound to attract people

Tangled has now surprassed the entire take of Princess and the Frog, Disney should be very pleased since day to day business has not dropped off in any dramatic fashion

Can't wait to see how Burlesque does internationally. 4 more days until it finally hits Europe. First up - the Netherlands.

On a side note, I'm sick to death of the overwhelming media hate towards Christina and for some of the stupidest reasons I've ever read. Over half the articles I read are full of shade. It's so pathetic how desperate they are to sabotage her.

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    the chances of another Narnia film aren't as good now
    I personally thought it was stupid of Fox to pick it up after Disney dropped that dead weight.

Its getting incredible word of mouth and there is that Kunis/Portman lesbian scene which is bound to attract people
    Kunis should be cast in more things. I could do without more Portman.

Tangled has now surprassed the entire take of Princess and the Frog, Disney should be very pleased since day to day business has not dropped off in any dramatic fashion
    Most excellent of news!

I personally thought it was stupid of Fox to pick it up after Disney dropped that dead weight.
    Prince Caspian made $420 million worldwide, so I wouldn't exactly call that dead weight. It made a nice profit even before going to home video.
    Last edited by Firefly; December 13, 2010 at 12:57am.

Prince Caspian made $420 million worldwide, so I wouldn't exactly call that dead weight. It made a nice profit even before going to home video.
    Well, I admit, I am a bit biased since I am against the entire book series.

i see future for narnia .
    the voyages ...accumulated more than 81 million dollars in international box office this weekend, and yet this has not been released in several countries.
    this has already accumulated 105 million dollars worldwide in just 3 days.

Tron wins the number 1 spot for the weekend of 12/17-12/19. Given the huge production and marketing budget, Disney was probably hoping for more dough this weekend, though.

hollywoodreporter.com:
    Disney's Tron: Legacy far and away topped the weekend box office with a $43.6 million opening from 3,451 locations, but that didn't take the sting out of an overall soft frame.

Overseas, Tron: Legacy grossed $23 million as it rolled out in 50% of the territories, for a worldwide total opening of $66.6 million. Imax theaters provided a record proportion of the total gross, or $12.5 million.

Warner Bros.' new 3D family pic Yogi Bear debuted to $16.7 million, while most had expected the family film to jump the $20 million mark. The movie, playing in 3,515 theaters, came in No. 2.

James L. Brooks' How Do You Know, from Sony, was an out-and-out disappointment in its opening. Placing No. 8, the romantic comedy opened to only $7.6 million from 2,483 locations. Picture stars Reese Witherspoon, Paul Rudd, Owen Wilson and Jack Nicholson.

Sony/GK Films' The Tourist even beat How Do You Know, grossing $8.7 million from 2,756 theaters in its second weekend to tie with Disney holdover Tangled for No. 5.

Weekend's other new wide entry The Fighter had an advantage over the rest in costing just $25 million to produce. The awards favorite came in No. 4 with $12.2 million as it expanded nationwide, playing in 2,503 theaters.

Fox Searchlight's Black Swan, which also made a major expansion, likewise impressed. Film took in $8.3 million, even though it played in only 759 theaters. Specialty film's cume is $15.7 million.

The Fighter played well to women, or 53% of the audience. Of Tron's audience, 66% were male. Both films played predominately to older audiences.

Twentieth Century Fox and Walden Media's The Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader came in No. 3 in its second weekend. The 3D family film fell 48% to $12.4 million for a domestic cume of $42.7 million.

Both Disney and Warners say Tron and Yogi should do big weekday biz over the Christmas holidays.

Tron wins the number 1 spot for the weekend of 12/17-12/19. Given the huge production and marketing budget, Disney was probably hoping for more dough this weekend, though
    Whoever thought that needs to find a new job

Its Tron, I mean nobody should realistically act like its a franchise that deserves a $50-100m opening. The demo even showed 2/3 male and mostly older (the only people who would ever remember Tron)

I am still amazed the movie was greenlit and has come out the way it did, I was convinced that it was going to be canceled after it was first announced since they only used recycled Tron footage.

It was nice to see Tangled with good business, Disney will get about $150m+ at its current pace which easily outdoes its last 2 big holiday pics (Christmas Carol, Princess and the Frog)

Saw Tron this weekend and thought it was fantastic. Don't know much about the first movie, but I absolutely loved it. I wish it had done better, but still, enjoyed every minute of it. Hopefully it has good legs.
    "It's not about how hard you can hit. It's about how hard you can get hit, how much you can take,
    and keep moving forward.
    That's how winning is done." -- Rocky Balboa

Little Fockers takes the number 1 spot, while Gulliver's Travels tanks.

Weekend box office for 12/24-12/26:

1 Little Fockers $34,016,000 -$48,302,000
    2 True Grit $25,600,000 -$36,818,000
    3 Tron Legacy $20,107,000 -$88,296,000
    4 The Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader $10,800,000 -$63,929,000
    5 Yogi Bear $8,800,000 -$36,785,000
    6 The Fighter $8,500,000 -$27,574,000
    7 Gulliver's Travels $7,200,000
    8 Black Swan $6,600,000 -$29,031,000
    9 Tangled $6,519,000 -$143,779,000
    10 The Tourist $5,700,000 -$41,178,000

Tron did pretty well, Boxofficemojo said in their weekend report that its doing about as good as could be expected and anyone who went in with $200-300m goals was being absurd.

Tangled though has reached $240m+ worldwide and has past $168m in the US which makes it easily their #1 non-pixar animated movie in the last 11 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Boxofficemojo
    12/31-1/2

1 (1) Little Fockers $26.3 million
    2 (2) True Grit $24.5 million
    3 (3) Tron: Legacy $18.3 million ($130million LTD/ $196m WW)
    4 (5) Yogi Bear $13.0 million
    5 (4) The Voyage of the Dawn Treader $10.5 million ($86million LTD/ $273m WW)
    6 (7) Tangled $10.0 million ($168million LTD/ $286m WW)
    7 (6) The Fighter $10.0 million
    8 (8) Gulliver's Travels $9.1 million
    9 (9) Black Swan $8.5 million
    10 (11) The King's Speech $7.6 million
    I am pretty sure this means we will get another Narnia movie, it is making ridiculous money internationally and with lower budgets, less big name casting, and home video its stands to make somebody some money.

I went and saw "The Fighter" this weekend and I thought it was an excellent movie (besides all of the F-bombs)!!
    Out of the night that covers me,
    Black as the pit from pole to pole,
    I thank whatever gods may be
    For my unconquerable soul.

It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishments the scroll,
    I am the master of my fate,
    I am the captain of my soul.