Page 25 of 36 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast

Thread: Weekend Box Office Thread

Wimpy Kid sucker punches the competition to get 1st place this weekend.

hollywoodreporter.com:

Zack Snyder's "Sucker Punch" opens lower than expected with $19 million; "Limitless" and "Lincoln Lawyer" enjoy strong holds.

Fox 2000's kids sequel Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Rodrick Rules easily won the weekend box office race, grossing a hearty $24.4 million and delivering Fox a new franchise. Warner Bros.' Sucker Punch wasn't as lucky, grossing $19 million in a soft start for the action-fantasy.

Rodrick Rules came in ahead of the original Diary of a Wimpy Kid, which opened a year ago to $22.1 million. The sequel, which cost a modest $18 million to produce, enjoyed a mammoth uptick in business on Saturday thanks to family traffic.

Warners had expected Zack Snyder's Sucker Punch--which cost $75 million to produce--to clear $20 million in its opening, but said on Sunday it was nevertheless pleased with the outcome. Warners is a huge supporter of Snyder, who is directing the upcoming Superman: Man of Steel.

Rodrick Rules drew an A- CinemaScore; Sucker Punch, a B-.

Holdovers Limitless and The Lincoln Lawyer both enjoyed strong holds in their second weekend, coming in No. 3 and No. 4 respectively.

Limitless, a win for Relativity Media's new distribution operation, fell 19% to an estimated $15.2 million for a cume of $41.3 million in its first 10 days.

Lionsgate's The Lincoln Lawyer fell 17% to an estimated $10.9 million for a cume of $28.8 million.

Paramount's Rango crossed the $100 million mark over the weekend, as did Sony's Adam Sandler-Jennifer Aniston romantic comedy Just Go With It. They are the first 2011 releases to clear $100 million.

Rango came in No. 5 for the weekend, falling 32% to an estimated $9.7 million for a cume of $106.3 million in fourth weekend.

Dang! I thought Sucker Punch would've done way better!

Leader of the Autobots Optimus Prime's Avatar
    Homeworld: Cybertron. the great Autobot city of Iacon
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    Wimpy Kid sucker punches the competition to get 1st place this weekend.

hollywoodreporter.com:
    Huh, that's interesting, since I read and heard that Wimpy Kid pretty much stunk.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings, but freedom isn't free."
    http://www.myspace.com/tkd_trevor

Not surprised. Went to see Rango and there were nose-mining ankle-biters all over the danged theater trying to get in to Whimpy Kid. Same audience that keeps getting Chipmunk sequels greenlit I'm afraid. It was so annoying that it put me off going back to a theater until Captain America or Thor honestly.

Quote Originally Posted by Optimus Prime View Post
    Huh, that's interesting, since I read and heard that Wimpy Kid pretty much stunk.
    I'm sure it was better than Sucker Punch.

Thank goodness for Sucker Punch! The Global Coalition of Internet-Based Haters has a new kid to pick on!

Seriously, though, my wife and I actually liked Sucker Punch. It was different and interesting. Oh well. We got our money's worth! I'm sorry many did not.

Rango may be the best thing out there right now, though!
    Not to sound like a creepy cheerleader for Uki, but it's nice to know there is at least one person on this forum who is extremely positive & friendly all the time. I don't think I could be that nice even if you paid me. If we ever give out awards for "forum member of the month", Uki gets my vote. -Mr. Shokoti

Subscribe for MOTUC 2015!!!

The first wimpy kid movie was really good. I took my kids to see it last year and while they of course loved it, I actually loved it probably more than they did. I bought it on blu-ray and have watched it with them a bunch.

As soon as the new one comes to the dollar theater (I'm WAY too cheap to take my family of 6 to a new release) me and my kiddos will be first in line.

Fast Five gives the box office a much needed jolt, while Hoodwinked and Prom bomb.

weekend box office for 4/29-5/1:

1 Fast Five $83,630,000
    2 Rio $14,400,000 -$103,627,000
    3 Tyler Perry's Madea's Big Happy Family $10,050,000 -$41,080,000
    4 Water for Elephants $9,125,000 -$32,263,000
    5 Prom $5,000,000
    6 Hoodwinked Too! Hood vs. Evil $4,140,000
    7 Soul Surfer $3,300,000 -$33,775,000
    8 Insidious $2,687,000 -$48,307,000
    9 Hop $2,557,000 -$105,276,000
    10 Source Code $2,532,000 -$48,909,000

while Hoodwinked and Prom bomb.
    Good

Though I have to say I am utterly shocked the 5th movie in the F&F franchise made that much. I think the casting had a lot to do with it, the Rock up against Vin Diesal was a great move
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback

Sorcerer of Night Lord_Of_Destruction's Avatar
    Hoodwinked 2 was hilarious. It saddens me that films like this don't do well while crappy low brow unfunny so called comedies are big hits.
    "How I loathe heroes! Always getting in the way and acting so... so... heroic!"

please check out my fan fics at:

http://www.fanfiction.net/u/399417/

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Of_Destruction View Post
    Hoodwinked 2 was hilarious. It saddens me that films like this don't do well while crappy low brow unfunny so called comedies are big hits.
    I would not worry about Hoodwinked 2, it will do well enough in the theater and on home video to be profitable.
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

I haven't seen a movie in forever, but I'm excited the summer season is coming up.
    Obey the whip!

Smile like you mean it.

Thor takes first place, but doesn't make as much as Fast Five did the previous week.

weekend box office for 5/6-5/8:

1 Thor $66,000,000
    2 Fast Five $32,519,000 -$139,853,000
    3 Jumping the Broom $13,700,000
    4 Something Borrowed $13,155,000
    5 Rio $8,200,000 -$114,902,000
    6 Water for Elephants $5,600,000 -$41,614,000
    7 Tyler Perry's Madea's Big Happy Family $3,900,000 -$46,806,000
    8 Prom $2,425,000 -$7,800,000
    9 Soul Surfer $2,100,000 -$36,679,000
    10 Hoodwinked Too! Hood vs. Evil $1,880,000 -$6,714,000

Thor came in about how I expected, it was a very good movie and I think Capt America will do Iron Man levels in July

Fast and the Furious dropped like a rock, still doing better then I had ever guessed though

Heroic Master of Tugging CarKrash's Avatar
    I want to see Thor.. but my girl wants to see Scream.. and that came out first.. so.. I got some movies to see!! Plus, I was thinking of having a vintage purist date day.. and do some roller skating and go see a drive in movie.. Maybe i'll see Fast Five or something at the drive in, cuz I want to see Thor in more of a real state of the art movie theater.

The new Pirates movie has the biggest opening of 2011 so far, but Disney was actually hoping for around $10 million more. Ticket number-wise, it did worse than previous Pirates movies, but it was helped by the 3-D premiums.

Weekend box office for 5/20 to 5/22:

1 Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides $90,100,000
    2 Bridesmaids $21,058,000 -$59,518,000
    3 Thor $15,500,000 -$145,406,000
    4 Fast Five $10,631,000 -$186,219,000
    5 Rio $4,650,000 -$131,647,000
    6 Priest $4,600,000 -$23,683,000
    7 Jumping the Broom $3,700,000 -$31,318,000
    8 Something Borrowed $3,425,000 -$31,428,000
    9 Water for Elephants $2,150,000 -$52,428,000
    10 Tyler Perry's Madea's Big Happy Family $990,000 -$51,757,000

Wonder what Disney is expecting cause aren't there 2 more coming to make it a 6 movie franchise?

Good for Thor, its going to clear its budget shortly in the US which is a good sign given Thor was a very iffy character for the box office given his fantasy requirements (aka big budget needed for CGI)

Quote Originally Posted by markatisu View Post
    Wonder what Disney is expecting cause aren't there 2 more coming to make it a 6 movie franchise?
    Don’t worry, On Stranger Tides will still make a tidy sum. Overseas it will kill everything in sight.

I saw it last night. Wasn’t as bad as a lot of reviews have made it out to be, but it’s definitely missing that “spark” that the others had. I assume that’s down to a change in director more than anything else. I did like Blackbeard, though. I just felt it was missing the grandiose, larger than life events of the previous films. No monsters or anything like that. You may say that that makes it more realistic and grown up, but I think these kinds of films should have things like that. Makes them more fun and innocent. It just felt as though a lot of the life had been sucked dry from it.

Heroic Warrior sportsandstuff777's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Krueger View Post
    Don’t worry, On Stranger Tides will still make a tidy sum. Overseas it will kill everything in sight.

I saw it last night. Wasn’t as bad as a lot of reviews have made it out to be, but it’s definitely missing that “spark” that the others had. I assume that’s down to a change in director more than anything else. I did like Blackbeard, though. I just felt it was missing the grandiose, larger than life events of the previous films. No monsters or anything like that. You may say that that makes it more realistic and grown up, but I think these kinds of films should have things like that. Makes them more fun and innocent. It just felt as though a lot of the life had been sucked dry from it.
    I saw on stranger tides as well on Friday and liked it a lot better than the last one
    Check out my auctions for Thundercats, MOTU,Transformers, Gi-Joe and WWE!♫

http://tinyurl.com/7cadj6b

Visit my Blog at http://2coolghouls.blogspot.com/

The Hangover II opens huge and wins the Memorial Day Weekend crown over Kung Fu Panda 2.

hollywoodreporter.com:

The R-rated comedy helps fuel biggest Memorial Day weekend on record; ‘Kung Fu Panda 2’ also drives the boom with an expected $68.2 million.

Shattering numerous records, Warner Bros.’ The Hangover Part II grossed $118.1 million in its first four days to help fuel the best Memorial Day weekend in history at the domestic box office. The sequel is expected to gross another $20 million on Monday for a staggering five-day bow of $138.1 million, setting a new benchmark for comedies.

Overseas, Hangover opened to $59 million from 40 countries--thee times higher than the first Hangover and bringing the sequel's global bow to almost $200 million. Hangover grossed $16.4 million in the U.K., the best ever launch for a U.S. comedy, as well as the top opening of 2011.

DreamWorks Animation and Paramount’s Kung Fu Panda 2 also contributed to the boom, grossing $54.6 million in its first four days (like Hangover, Panda opened on Thursday). The 3D toon should end Monday with a five-day total of $68.2 million.

Kung Fu Panda impressed overseas, where it grossed a mighty $57 million from 8,023 markets in only 11 territories. In seven territories, it scored the best opening ever for an animated title and in China, scored the biggest opening of all time for a foreign film in grossing $18.5 million.

Hangover’s foreign numbers weren’t immediately available.

In the U.S., the specialty business also soared, thanks to Woody Allen’s holdover Midnight in Paris and new entry The Tree of Life, from Terrence Malick.

Tree of Life, grossing $352,320 for the weekend proper as it opened in four theaters in New York and Los Angeles, posted a per location average of $88,080—an all-time high for a Fox Searchlight title.

Midnight—which debuted last weekend to a per location average of $99,834—grossed $1.9 million as it expanded into a total of 58 theaters for a 10-day cume of $2.8 million, according to Rentrak.

The overall uptick in theater traffic at the domestic box office was a welcome respite for the film business, which has suffered one of the worst box slumps in history. Grosses for Memorial Day weekend are projected to reach $270 million, easily surpassing the $254 million earned in 2007.

From Todd Phillips, Hangover grabbed the best opening ever for a comedy, besting the $85.7 million earned by Bruce Almighty over Memorial Day weekend in 2003, as well as the biggest Saturday ever for a comedy ($29.7 million). Hangover's Friday-Sunday tally was $86.4 million.

Hangover and Universal’s Bridesmaids set new benchmarks for the playing power of R-rated comedies. Even with competition from Hangover, Bridesmaids held well over the weekend, declining only 27% to an estimated $16.4 million to place No. 4. On Monday, Bridesmaids is expected to earn another $4.4 million for a domestic cume of $89.4 million.

Hangover should grab the largest five-day opening ever for any R-rated pic, comedy or otherwise. Previous best was The Matrix Reloaded ($134.3 million) and The Passion of the Christ ($125.2 million).

Hangover is a sizeable victory for Warners and co-financing partner Legendary Pictures, and delivered the studio its best Memorial Weekend ever (Terminator Salvation was the previous crown holder at $65.3 million).

“This blows everything out of the water. It’s pretty amazing stuff,” Warner Bros. president of domestic distribution Dan Fellman said. “Moviegoers love all the characters, and they love the story.”

Hangover is the first title in months to appeal heavily to younger moviegoers, who represented 54% of the audience.

Moviegoers delivered rave reviews for both Hangover and Kung Fu Panda, which drew an A- CinemaScore and A CinemaScore, respectively.

Families turned out in force for Kung Fu Panda, which return Jack Black, Angelina Jolie, Jackie Chan, Dustin Hoffman, Seth Rogen and Lucy Liu return to lead the voice cast. About 45% of the total gross came 3D screens, although if the toon had played in Imax theaters, 3D grosses would have likely repped 55% of the total, according to DreamWorks.

Kung Fu Panda's Friday-Sunday gross was an estimated $48 million.

“We’re thrilled to have Kung Fu Panda be part of this record-breaking weekend. We came in at high end of expecations. We played very strong to families and kids, who made up 60% of our audience,” DreamWorks Animation president of marketing Anne Globe said.

The original Kung Fu Panda debuted to $60.2 million in early June 2008 at the domestic box office on its way to $215.4 million.

Coming in third at the domestic box office was Disney’s Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides, which grossed a solid $39.3 million for the three-day weekend and is projected to earn $50 million through Monday. For the weekend proper, the pic fell roughly 55% from last weekend, in line with drops for the previous titles in the franchise. On Stranger Tides should end Monday with a domestic cume of $163.7 million.

Disney president of worldwide distribution Chuck Viane said he was happy that Pirates helped contribute to the record Memorial Day weekend.

Overseas, Pirates continued to thrive, grossing an estimated $122.9 million for the three-day weekend. By Monday, the tentpole’s global cume will be $646.5 million, by far the best showing of the year.

Hangover 2 making that much in its first weekend is simply gobsmacking. I honestly cannot believe it’s made that much.

X-Men: First Class makes around the same amount its opening weekend as the original movie did in 2000.

weekend box office for 6/3-6/5:

1 X-Men: First Class $56,000,000
    2 The Hangover Part II $32,445,000 -$186,872,000
    3 Kung Fu Panda 2 $24,300,000 -$100,440,000
    4 Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides $18,010,000 -$190,257,000
    5 Bridesmaids $12,128,000 -$107,255,000
    6 Thor $4,200,000 -$169,073,000
    7 Fast Five $3,244,000 -$202,058,000
    8 Midnight in Paris $2,916,000 -$6,943,000
    9 Jumping the Broom $865,000 -$35,927,000
    10 Something Borrowed $835,000 -$36,660,000

I still can't get over that they made a Kung Fu panda too. I thought the firs tone was horrid.
    Obey the whip!

Smile like you mean it.

X-Men: First Class makes around the same amount its opening weekend as the original movie did in 2000.

weekend box office for 6/3-6/5:

1 X-Men: First Class $56,000,000
    That is really good considering its the 5th movie and the 3rd and 4th installments really did great damage to the franchise plus it was practically a star less reboot.

I read last week Fox was hoping it would at least come near X1 opening week, so it looks like they came pretty close.

I hope it does not drop like a rock next week. And I think Green Lantern is going to destroy whatever is at the box office in 1 1/2 weeks (at least till Cars 2/TF3/HP7-2/Capt America)

Quote Originally Posted by Divia View Post
    I still can't get over that they made a Kung Fu panda too. I thought the firs tone was horrid.
    Well, I didn't. I thought it was awesome. I'm looking forward to seeing the sequel.