Page 3 of 36 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Weekend Box Office Thread

It's about whats FAIR! King Hsss's Avatar
    Can't wait to see this coming weeks numbers w/the Dark Knight obviously in the number 1 spot.
    In nomine Patris. Requiescat in Pace

The Dark Knight sets the weekend record, July 18-20 from boxofficemojo:

1. Dark Knight $155.3 million
    2. Mamma Mia $27.6 million
    3. Hancock $14 million (191.5)
    4. Journey to the Center... $11.9 million (43.1)
    5. Hellboy 2 $10 million (56.4)

Huge 70% drop for Hellboy this weekend. It didn't pay to compete against The Dark Knight. I kind of wish Universal would have kept their original plan instead of switching Mummy 3 and Hellboy's dates around (but they probably didn't want Frasier competing against himself).

6. "WALL-E," $9.8m
    7. "Space Chimps," $7.4m
    8. "Wanted," $5.1m
    9. "Get Smart," $4.1m
    10. "Kung Fu Panda," $1.8m

I would have to wait for the grand totals of the Top 15, but I think that Incredible Hulk has surpassed the 2003 Ang Lee version finally. That is a good thing for the Hulk franchise since it got there faster and will turn a profit most likely on dvd/home video as well as merchandising
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback

He-Man.org Forum Admin TheShadow's Avatar
    Nice to see that my favorite comic book hero has dethroned Spider-Man. Also happy to see that Get Smart is still in the top 10.

Just released 10/6/2013: EPISODE 55 of Masters Cast!
    The He-Man & She-Ra Podcast at www.masterscast.com

Weekend numbers are in

1. Dark Knight $75.6m (Now past $314 million in under 2 weeks!)
    2. Step Brothers $30m
    3. Mamma Mia $17.8m
    4. X-Files $10.2m
    5. Journey to the Center of the Earth $9.4m
    6. Hancock $8.2m
    7. Wall-E $6.3m (will surpass Ratatouille shortly)
    8. Hellboy II $4.9m
    9. Space Chimps $4.4m
    10. Wanted $2.7m

Dark Knight needs under $1m to be the highest grossing movie of the year, and WB is anticipating it will cross $400m before its been in the theatres 18 days (1st week of August)

Journey to the Center of the Earth continues to do better than I expected, and X-Files bombed hard. With the Mummy coming and horrid reviews I expect it to be gone from the Top 10 in 2 weeks
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Quote Originally Posted by markatisu View Post
    Weekend numbers are in

1. Dark Knight $75.6m (Now past $314 million in under 2 weeks!)

Dark Knight needs under $1m to be the highest grossing movie of the year, and WB is anticipating it will cross $400m before its been in the theatres 18 days (1st week of August)
    Does this break any records? Did it bead spidey or Pirates or anything like that for the time it has been out?
    Obey the whip!

Smile like you mean it.

Quote Originally Posted by Divia View Post
    Does this break any records? Did it bead spidey or Pirates or anything like that for the time it has been out?
    Yes it has broken every record out there, Pirates took much longer (6 more days) to get to $300m and Spidey 1 and 2's records have already fallen (they took 19 and 22 days to get to $300m)

As soon as it knocks out Shrek II's fastest to $400m (which it will do with ease since it took Shrek II 43 days to get there) and topples Star Wars $460m (which it could very well do) then all thats left in the record books is Titanics highest grossing movie of all time record

I doubt it will beat Titanic, though that would be nice
    Obey the whip!

Smile like you mean it.

Co-Creator of the NV
    I doubt it will beat Titanic, though that would be nice
    It might break the 600M mark, but regardless of whether it does or not, we have to take into account inflation which could make titanic's 600M look a lot more like a billion today...

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Latveria View Post
    It might break the 600M mark, but regardless of whether it does or not, we have to take into account inflation which could make titanic's 600M look a lot more like a billion today...
    Yeah but you cant use the inflation arguement because then Star Wars and Gone with the Wind would be the record holders

Also Titanic ran for almost 1/2 year, no modern movie will ever do that with the dvd market almost requiring movies to come out 4 months from theatrical release

If Dark Knight were to break the $600m mark it would be the most impressive film financially in history since it would obviously get there a lot faster regardless of inflation (Titanic took 66 weeks to reach that level)

It is scheduled to come out on DVD and Blu-Ray in November so it only has about 2 months in theaters

I wonder if Dark Knight will be as received as Titanic was since Titanic got 11 Academy nominations

Co-Creator of the NV
    Yeah but you cant use the inflation arguement because then Star Wars and Gone with the Wind would be the record holders

Also Titanic ran for almost 1/2 year, no modern movie will ever do that with the dvd market almost requiring movies to come out 4 months from theatrical release
    Yes I can use it as an argument because Titanic was brought up, not GwtW and Star Wars. If those were brought up, I'd use the same arguments. It's bull to tout a movie as the record holder when it simply is not.

I think Heath Ledger's death made The Dark Knight an event movie. Even he hadn't died, I think it still would have done great (and much better than Batman Begins thanks to the Joker character), but more around the 300 mark for its total run like Indy 4 and Iron Man. I still think it will have a hard time beating out Titanic for No. 1 all time, but it might have a shot at No. 2 (not taking inflation into account of course).

Yes I can use it as an argument because Titanic was brought up, not GwtW and Star Wars. If those were brought up, I'd use the same arguments. It's bull to tout a movie as the record holder when it simply is not.
    So if Dark Knight passes $600m it becomes the record holder and what the inflation thing is a footnote?

Thats what I was getting at, on the "inflation" charts the Top movies are completely different putting Gone with the Wind as #1 and Star Wars behind it

You were saying it does not matter because Titanic would be like $1b and nobody is arguing that but I am saying that it would no longer the record holder with inflation factored in

Supreme Fudge Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    and X-Files bombed hard. With the Mummy coming and horrid reviews I expect it to be gone from the Top 10 in 2 weeks
    I saw the X-files earlier today. It wasn't very good at all. It had nothing to do with aliens, and there is some paranormal stuff involved, but not nearly enough earn the name "X-Files".

I didn't religously follow the series, only seeing an episode here or there, and I saw the first movie (which I liked a lot). My wife was like me when it came to watching the series. She had never seen the first movie, so we watched my DVD of it last night, and she did like that one a lot. But we both walked out of the new one thinking "what was the point of that"?

Not only was it not a good X-Files movie, but it just wasn't a very good movie in general. The plot was kind of all over the place. I guess there is a surprise or two within the context of the self-contained movie plot, but nothing major, so I don't know what the big secret was. Therre was absolutely no revelations what-so-ever in terms of answering any lingering unansweredd questions from the series.

And on top of all of that, there wasn't much in the way of promotion for the movie either. There really weren't any trailerss or promotional materials at all up until maybe a month or two ago. And I personally had to go out of my way to watch the trailer On Demand though my cable service. I've seen most of this summer's big blockbuster movies, and I perosnally never once actually saw the trailer for the new X-Files movie in front of any of them (and they do show A LOT of trailers at the theater that I frequent).

I think it's just been too long and outside of a few die-hard fans, the X-Files isn't in the forefront of people's minds. More should have been done to get it back in the spot light this long after the fact, and the movie should have had more to do with alien related conspiracies.

It also doesn't help that this is coming out only a week after The Dark Knight, which is just breaking every record there is. The problem is that both of these movies would have target audiences that are probably in the same general ball park as each other, and with Dark Knight being so HUGE and with X-Files barely being promoted, X-Files just didn't stand a chance. Mamma Mia and Step Brothers are both from very different genres, so at least they both stood more of a chance.

Hopefully if they do somehow decide to do another X-Files movie, they go back to the roots.

I did watch the series finale when it originally aired about 6 years ago, and if I recall correctly, the smoking man said something about some big alien invasion coming in 10 years, which at this point would only be 4 years away. If they do another one, it should have something to do with that.

Leela: "What's the secret of time travel doing on Fry's ass?"
    Fry: "It was bound to be somewhere!"

Co-Creator of the NV
    So if Dark Knight passes $600m it becomes the record holder and what the inflation thing is a footnote?

Thats what I was getting at, on the "inflation" charts the Top movies are completely different putting Gone with the Wind as #1 and Star Wars behind it

You were saying it does not matter because Titanic would be like $1b and nobody is arguing that but I am saying that it would no longer the record holder with inflation factored in
    I never claimed it would be the record holder. Don't read into my statements what is not there. Divia said she doubts it will beat TITANIC. I quoted that and made a response based on that statement. Never did I at any point make a comment about who the record holder would be. I was speaking specifically about Titanic and what it would take to beat Titanic. She didn't say, "I doubt it will be the #1 movie of all time" although one might argue she meant to say that, but if I had chosen to reference any movies at all, I would've referenced GwtW (I thought it was still ahead of Star Wars, but maybe I'm wrong on that).

I think it will beat Titanic! Its an amazing movie! And if it does it will be considered #1 with good reason!

If the estimates are correct, it puts Dark Knight at #23 highest US box office gross of all-time, right after Iron Man & right before Indy 4. (Although that doesn't take into account what those 2 flicks did over this weekend...)

At the very least, it's at #24 all-time, shifting "Attack of the Clones" down to #25.....
    This space for rent, apparently.....

but if I had chosen to reference any movies at all, I would've referenced GwtW (I thought it was still ahead of Star Wars, but maybe I'm wrong on that).
    Yes GwtW is still #1

Top 10 movies of all time based on inflation

1 Gone with the Wind $1,430,476,000
    2 Star Wars $1,261,086,700
    3 The Sound of Music $1,008,300,900
    4 E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial $1,004,328,700
    5 The Ten Commandments $927,480,000
    6 Titanic $908,688,900
    7 Jaws $906,798,000
    8 Doctor Zhivago $878,879,000
    9 The Exorcist $782,826,200
    10 Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs $771,720,000

Some of these numbers are a bit upped due to re-releases (mainly Star Wars and ET)

Yea, I hope Titanic gets "sunk" one of these days out of the top spot.
    I loved growing up in the 80's....wish my kids someday could experience the same thing....

"The meat was gamey, the potatoes were lumpy, and this coffee tastes like it was strained through someones urethra." - Dean Stephan

HAAAAAAAAAPPYYYYYYYY..... Prince Adam's Dad's Avatar
    The inflation argurment alsways bothers me.

Yes, it is fact that inflation would cause these films' earnings to be vastly different. But to argue that a film would have seriously made that kind of money just doesn't sit well with me.

Times are completely different. There were what, four studios making movies at the time GwtW came out? Lessens the competition a heck of a lot.

Also, today is the day of the multimedia deluge (this point stands for Titanic, ET, and SW, as well). There are SO may other options out there for people to spend their money on. The fact that this movie has done SO well is awe-inspiring. Asterisk or no, being the highest-grossing film of all time is deserving of respect.
    Sadly, you can't divorce emotion from a toyline built on nostalgia.

Got Man-E-Faces, give 'em Whiplash when I Battle-Cats

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Adam's Dad View Post
    The inflation argurment alsways bothers me.

Yes, it is fact that inflation would cause these films' earnings to be vastly different. But to argue that a film would have seriously made that kind of money just doesn't sit well with me.

Times are completely different. There were what, four studios making movies at the time GwtW came out? Lessens the competition a heck of a lot.

Also, today is the day of the multimedia deluge (this point stands for Titanic, ET, and SW, as well). There are SO may other options out there for people to spend their money on. The fact that this movie has done SO well is awe-inspiring. Asterisk or no, being the highest-grossing film of all time is deserving of respect.
    I completely agree with everything in this post. There are so many factors regarding older movies like GWtW that it would be hard to compare it to Dark Knight or even Titanic. Of course, one could keep looking at factors until the top 10 money makes under ANY circumstances loses any meaning, but there are a number of things I always think about in these cases.

There are people with actual home entertainment centers today and entire libraries of movies from summer blockbusters to award-winning dramas and war epics. Some of these entertainment centers are watched on 50" tvs with 5.1 surround sounds, and in some cases, high definition. And in the theaters, there are dozens of movies out at any given time of the year, and as of right now, a number of huge "escapist" movies that have gotten fantastic reviews.

When GWtW came out, what options did people have for watching movies at home? What kind of movies could they go see at any time in theaters? How many different kinds of movies were coming out, and how ere the reviews for them?

My point is that it's a lot of fun seeing what movies are going to take the new records, but yes, when you factor in inflation, it becomes a little more arbitrary. A lot of this doesn't matter. But when you go even further, to take even MORE factors into account, it becomes downright impossible to get any meaning at all from any of this. Just look at a few of the points I mentioned.

So without any real way to track these kinds of things, it's best to just enjoy it all as it goes on, and have fun waiting for that next big movie to come out that just might "beat Titanic." It's just too darn hard to come up with a fair and "correct" way to measure this kind of thing.
    "It's not about how hard you can hit. It's about how hard you can get hit, how much you can take,
    and keep moving forward.
    That's how winning is done." -- Rocky Balboa

Dude GWTW Rocks!!!

No it may not have speical effects n all that stuff, but its a great story that has survived all these years. That says something. Its been around for 69 years. And while Batman has been around a long time, will the same be said about his movie? Will it have the same emotional attachment and wow factor that GWTW has or the first SW?

Fine don't count inflation, but dont simply disregard a movie because its old, and thats kinda the vibe I"m getting..well thats all there was out there so it can't be that good.
    Obey the whip!

Smile like you mean it.

I haven't really watched much of GWTW because it isn't really my cup of tea, but GWTW was a hugely successful movie on many levels. AFI currently ranks it as the fourth best movie of all time.

From wiki:

The film premiered in Atlanta, Georgia, on December 15, 1939 as the climax of three days of festivities hosted by the mayor which consisted of a parade of limousines featuring stars from the film, receptions, thousands of Confederate flags, false antebellum fronts on stores and homes, and a costume ball. The governor of Georgia declared December 15 a state holiday. President Jimmy Carter would later recall it as "the biggest event to happen in the South in my lifetime."

From December 1939 to June 1940, the film played only advance-ticket road show engagements at a limited number of theaters, before it went into general release in 1941.
    Last edited by Firefly; July 27, 2008 at 10:44pm.

I understand its not everyone's cup of tea. Thats cool. But for some to just disregard it cause its old is bothersome.

A few years ago there was someplace that was still showing it once a day...but I dunno where that was.
    Obey the whip!

Smile like you mean it.

Dude GWTW Rocks!!!

No it may not have speical effects n all that stuff, but its a great story that has survived all these years. That says something. Its been around for 69 years. And while Batman has been around a long time, will the same be said about his movie? Will it have the same emotional attachment and wow factor that GWTW has or the first SW?

Fine don't count inflation, but dont simply disregard a movie because its old, and thats kinda the vibe I"m getting..well thats all there was out there so it can't be that good.
    Oh heck, it's an amazing movie, don't get me wrong. It's one of the very first to define what it means to be an epic movie, even as a drama. I'm just saying that the quality of the movie aside, there are still a lot of factors that will dictate the amount of money it can make.

Heck, if it came out today for the very first time, but played out exactly the same way as it did when it first got released, would it still make over a $1million domestic? The quality of the movie, story, and acting would be equal, but if it makes much less, then there would HAVE to be other factors in how much money it made back then.

Heck, case in point, look at E.T. I consider it to be one of the best sci-fi movies ever made, and made tons of money when it was first released. It was rereleased a few years back, and it barely made anything in the theaters. Some of that could be that people have seen it already, sure, but there was a lot more to it than that.

Anyway, GWtW is an incredible movie, and I agree, it will probably be remembered long after Dark Knight is forgotten as just another summer blockbuster, but if that same movie was released for the first time nowadays, I highly doubt it would be considered quite the masterpiece or talked about as long after as it had by coming out when it did.

And it managed that because, among other things, it was one of the first of its kind (particularly in the quality of its storytelling), and because the market wasn't saturated with similar movies. It had the freedom to make its mark the way it did. But with all that said, it's still an incredible movie as far as I'm concerned.
    "It's not about how hard you can hit. It's about how hard you can get hit, how much you can take,
    and keep moving forward.
    That's how winning is done." -- Rocky Balboa