Page 32 of 36 FirstFirst ... 223031323334 ... LastLast

Thread: Weekend Box Office Thread

Movie mayhem!
    Originally Posted by Patreek
    I wanna know what that huge John Carter JUMP ;-) is all about
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    Box Office Mojo is showing that 169 new theatres were added.

Interesting... I wonder why?

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    Let's get that Joss Whedon WW movie out. Heck, give him a Hulk or Black Widow movie.
    I don't think Marvel is going to let Whedon get within a 100 feet of a WW movie anymore. And frankly, if I were Whedon I wouldn't want to bother after DC messing around for so long. I imagine he'll focus on some project of his own (now that he has the muscle) before diving into Avengers 2 (which I'm guessing is at least 3 years off if not more.)

Numbers revised upward, $207m was the finally tally

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=3438&p=.htm

I figured as much when we left the theater at 7p and there a line to get into the next showing
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback

Will have my 3rd viewing this coming weekend when I take my 8-year old son to his first superhero movie. This will easily be the fastest movie to break $1 billion globally...
    This space for rent, apparently.....

Quote Originally Posted by Skullface View Post
    This will easily be the fastest movie to break $1 billion globally.
    It is ridiculous when you think about it. All films that have hit one billion typically take months to reach that milestone. Feasibly, The Avengers could be there in about a week and a half to two weeks.

I think it brings a smile to all our faces when something like this happens! Especially when at time we may be mocked or laughed at for loving things like this that many deem childish and stuff and a movie like Avengers comes along and takes the world by storm! The records this movie is breaking and setting is truly bringing a tear to my eye!!!
    'Tis the wind and nothing more.....

Let's hope WB is paying attention to this and get off their butts and start working towards a Justice League movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Nemisythe View Post
    I think it brings a smile to all our faces when something like this happens! Especially when at time we may be mocked or laughed at for loving things like this that many deem childish and stuff and a movie like Avengers comes along and takes the world by storm! The records this movie is breaking and setting is truly bringing a tear to my eye!!!
    Especially when something like 'Twilight', which many sane people already deem 'childish' actually succeeds, and is taken seriously by the mainstream. Which still baffles me.
    Quote Originally Posted by GP Legend View Post
    Let's hope WB is paying attention to this and get off their butts and start working towards a Justice League movie.
    It never ceases to amaze me how Warner Bros. keeps dropping the ball from time to time with DC super heroes. Their animation department has had A stellar track record with these characters. Warner Bros. proper, however is pretty hit, and miss. Once upon A time, Superman use to be A sure fire bet as far as movie properties go, but The Man Of Steel hasn't been so lucky after his second film. Batman, after having huge success, has already been through hell, and came back stronger than ever. 'Green Lantern' sadly didn't make much of an impact, and at this point, I doubt we'll ever see A 'Justice League' movie anytime soon.
    Last edited by mbaker; May 8, 2012 at 06:19am.

Heroic Warrior
    I knew it was going to a major hit but 200+million opening weekend plus what it made internationally is just crazy insane awesome.

Avengers has a great second weekend, while Dark Shadows has a soft debut.

hollywoodreporter.com:
    "Avengers" crosses the $1 billion mark worldwide in only 19 days and is the first film in history to hit $100 million in its second weekend at the domestic box office; "Dark Shadows" opens to a soft $28.8 million.

Breaking another record, The Avengers grossed a stunning $103.2 million over the weekend in North America, becoming the first movie in history to cross the $100 million mark in its sophmore outing.

Worldwide, Avengers expects to jump the $1 billion mark on Sunday after only 19 days, matching the speed record set by Avatar and Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2.

With Avengers doing such massive numbers, the news wasn't so good for Tim Burton and Johnny Depp's latest collaboration Dark Shadows, which debuted to a muted $28.8 million domestically, putting pressure on the Warner Bros. film to have strong legs.

I saw that Friday and Saturday they had to revise their projections 4 times. $90-95m would have been incredible but $103m

It might get a 3rd #1 week depending on how Battleship does, the positive word of mouth on Avengers is ridiculous
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Quote Originally Posted by markatisu View Post
    I saw that Friday and Saturday they had to revise their projections 4 times. $90-95m would have been incredible but $103m

It might get a 3rd #1 week depending on how Battleship does, the positive word of mouth on Avengers is ridiculous
    With projections of around $40 million for Battleship next weekend, I'm betting Avengers will.

Heroic Warrior sportsandstuff777's Avatar
    I knew Dark Shadows wasnt opening at number 1, and the numbers The Avengers is pulling so early in the game is amazing.
    Check out my auctions for Thundercats, MOTU,Transformers, Gi-Joe and WWE!♫

http://tinyurl.com/7cadj6b

Visit my Blog at http://2coolghouls.blogspot.com/

HAAAAAAAAAPPYYYYYYYY..... Prince Adam's Dad's Avatar
    What Avengers is doing is phenomenal. Not only is it reinforcing the profitability of well-made comic movies, but it's really putting a microscope on the fact that a pure superhero movie (not a drama/superhero Batman) can have massive crossover appeal.

Saw it a second time with my family yesterday (the first time that ALL of us have seen a movie a second time in theaters) for mother's day (my wife's idea <3). It's just as good the second time.
    Got Man-E-Faces, Give 'em Whiplash when I Battle-Cats

What's also amazing is how 'The Hunger Games' is still in the top 5 after being knocked down by 'Think Like A Man'. Still, it's success is almost as phenomenal as 'The Avengers' success. So I dedicate this song to The Girl On Fire, and her impact on cinema, feminism, and pop culture.

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    With projections of around $40 million for Battleship next weekend, I'm betting Avengers will.
    I've watched Battleship and I'd have spent more wisely my admission in watching Avengers for a second time
    Great trade orgers: Son of Keldor - sdilks -JeMaBo2 x3 - Kowl - Bigassbuzz (Hyveofvillany) - Queen Marlena - mikescab

My feedback thread

He-Man.org Forum Admin TheShadow's Avatar
    Even though Dark Shadows wasn't all that it could be, I am a bit sad at those numbers.

I won't see the Avengers, ever. Not a fan of those superheroes.

Just released 10/6/2013: EPISODE 55 of Masters Cast!
    The He-Man & She-Ra Podcast at www.masterscast.com

I'm sorry, but I still A bit cynical at the very idea of turning 'Battleship' into A movie. (Then again, 'Clue' got it's own movie in the 80's, but that's beside the point.) While it's idealistically true that you can make A movie out of anything, 'Battleship' still looks like A cynical cash in by Hasbro that's built around Michael Bay's 'Transformers' formula. Weather it succeeds, or not, I could care less since I'm not interested in seeing this either way. Plus, I've never played the 'Battleship' game. I've played Checkers, and Uno, but even those wouldn't make good movies.

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    Quote Originally Posted by mbaker View Post
    I've played Checkers, and Uno, but even those wouldn't make good movies.
    I don't know about that...

"Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Adam's Dad View Post
    What Avengers is doing is phenomenal. Not only is it reinforcing the profitability of well-made comic movies, but it's really putting a microscope on the fact that a pure superhero movie (not a drama/superhero Batman) can have massive crossover appeal.

Saw it a second time with my family yesterday (the first time that ALL of us have seen a movie a second time in theaters) for mother's day (my wife's idea
    Funny thing is that this movie is so successful but you get the people saying I won't see it or I don't get that's OK your in the minority...I hope this kick starts Warner Brothers to make a Justice League movie because the formula works...Unless you read or know the source material you won't get it especially with all of the little hints after the credits roll...Funny thing is that Marvel has made what 5-6 movies that people know after the credits you get a bonus and they still leave...
    Last edited by Megalodon; May 15, 2012 at 08:11pm.

WB won't make a successful Hero movie until they understand what it takes to make a Hero movie.

All the Marvel movies, even the not as successful ones take the same approach. Its a world where Heroes with powers live and breath. DC constantly tries to make movies where they want to convince you the world they portray is real but it comes off as having no faith in it and "fake" imho.

For all the faults that Warner Bors. has had with DC heroes, All the super hero movies we've had in the last decade, or so owe A huge debt Richard Donner's 'Superman'. That movie, along with 'Superman 2' was the blue print for what A super hero movie should be. As I've said before, outside of their animation department, Warner Bros. doesn't have as much faith in DC heroes. A good DC based movie is almost by fluke most of the time.

The Avengers takes the top spot for a third weekend in a row, while Battleship and Dictator fizzle.

Weekend box office for 5/18-5/20:

1 The Avengers $55,057,000 -$457,078,000
    2 Battleship $25,300,000
    3 The Dictator $17,415,000 -$24,456,000
    4 Dark Shadows $12,770,000 -$50,908,000
    5 What to Expect When You're Expecting $10,500,000
    6 The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel $3,250,000 -$8,257,000
    7 The Hunger Games $3,000,000 -$391,631,000
    8 Think Like a Man $2,700,000 -$85,888,000
    9 The Lucky One $1,765,000 -$56,921,000
    10 The Pirates! Band of Misfits $1,450,000 -$25,362,000

I took my in laws to see Battleship yesterday, it was very enjoyable and I owe Hasbro an apology. It was not a masterpiece but it was a FUN summer popcorn movie. Its a shame it will probably tank in the US just like John Carter did. I would go see it again.

So far, my faith in the movie going public has been slightly restored. 'The Avengers' continued success proves that summer blockbusters don't have to be loud, obnoxious, and dumb to be entertaining, just like how 'The Hunger Games' proves that A young female protagonist can be something more than submissive weaklings, or spoiled rich pop tarts. Seriously, 'Battleship' offers nothing to justify being made into A movie, and thankfully, people saw through that