Page 33 of 36 FirstFirst ... 233132333435 ... LastLast
Results 801 to 825 of 897

Thread: Weekend Box Office Thread

  1. #801
    Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Camden, NJ
    Posts
    19,514
    Quote Originally Posted by mbaker View Post
    So far, my faith in the movie going public has been slightly restored. 'The Avengers' continued success proves that summer blockbusters don't have to be loud, obnoxious, and dumb to be entertaining, just like how 'The Hunger Games' proves that A young female protagonist can be something more than submissive weaklings, or spoiled rich pop tarts. Seriously, 'Battleship' offers nothing to justify being made into A movie, and thankfully, people saw through that
    I think being a quality film helped, but with all the A-list characters, actors, marketing AND hype involved? Michael Bay could have directed Avengers and it would have still been a hit (although not as good as a movie with actual characters and development in it).

    I'd blame the people making the entertainment rather than the public who watches it. Hollywood execs or directors are often clueless when making these summer movies.

    The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

    Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

  2. #802
    Quester JonWes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    13,946
    Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    I think being a quality film helped, but with all the A-list characters, actors, marketing AND hype involved? Michael Bay could have directed Avengers and it would have still been a hit (although not as good as a movie with actual characters and development in it).

    I'd blame the people making the entertainment rather than the public who watches it. Hollywood execs or directors are often clueless when making these summer movies.
    Word of mouth does matter though. I think Michael Bay could have helmed it and it would have been a hit, but not such a mega-hit. There really doe have to be that sense of quality present for something to do the business that Avengers does.

  3. #803
    Heroic Warrior Krueger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    England, UK
    Posts
    2,848
    The Avengers is pretty much destroying everything. Battleship would have made considerably more if The Avengers was no where to be seen. It will affect MIB 3 next week, too. MIB 3 will take the number one spot, but The Avengers will still dent it nonetheless. See, it’s a doubled-edged sword when one film is pretty much obliterating everything in sight. It’s great for the studio and great for the film, but its utterly dreadful for the box-office. Plus, and I may be shot down for saying this, but don't audiences want to go and watch something else? Seriously? I thought the same with The Hunger Games, too. Battleship is not great, but it is far superior to the two Transformers sequels and quite a few other summer blockbusters I can think of, too. It’s a typical audience pleaser.

    Battleship is on track for about 230-235 international gross, so adding in the domestic gross it should make about 300 million worldwide, maybe a bit more. Still a flop, but a bit more respectable than John Carter. Still, it’s never a good thing when a 200 million dollar movie flops. People don't realise it when they say things like "I hope this or that flops". It produces a ripple effect that's felt all around the film industry. Fewer films will get the greenlight as a result, and it won't just be other "mindless high budget films" like Battleship, which is an ignorant belief that a lot of people have.

    Where do people think the studios get the money from for the smaller, cheaper (and sometimes better) films? Love them or hate them, the studios heavily rely on the summer tentpoles for substance. They’re the only kind of films that can potentially make a studio hundreds of millions of dollars in one go.
    Last edited by Krueger; May 20, 2012 at 06:14pm.

  4. #804
    Super Powered Mod! markatisu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Near Cyclone Nation (Iowa)
    Posts
    22,686
    Quote Originally Posted by JonWes View Post
    Word of mouth does matter though. I think Michael Bay could have helmed it and it would have been a hit, but not such a mega-hit. There really doe have to be that sense of quality present for something to do the business that Avengers does.
    Having 4-5 movies of quality before it also helps

    Nobody can make the claim Avengers by itself would have been any kind of hit, it could have been a bomb like Green Lantern. There is a reason JL and Avengers was never made before

    X-Men paved the way for a team movie but their story was easier for
    mass appeal since they were all mutants
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

    Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback

  5. #805
    Heroic Warrior Krueger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    England, UK
    Posts
    2,848
    Quote Originally Posted by JonWes View Post
    Word of mouth does matter though. I think Michael Bay could have helmed it and it would have been a hit, but not such a mega-hit.
    Well, Transformers 3 did gross over a billion.

  6. #806
    Heroic Warrior mbaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    1,462
    Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    Michael Bay could have directed Avengers and it would have still been a hit (although not as good as a movie with actual characters and development in it).
    And we probably would've gotten shameless military worship, lame attempts at humor, and maybe some racist stereotypes. Oh, and Megan Fox as Black Widow. (shudder) The fact that 'The Avengers' turned out as well as it did was nothing short of A miracle.
    Quote Originally Posted by JonWes View Post
    Word of mouth does matter though. I think Michael Bay could have helmed it and it would have been a hit, but not such a mega-hit. There really doe have to be that sense of quality present for something to do the business that Avengers does.
    See, Joss Whedon is A completely different beast than Michael Bay. Whedon has respect for the fans, Bay, on the other hand....Well, most of you already know by now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Krueger View Post
    See, it’s a doubled-edged sword when one film is pretty much obliterating everything in sight. It’s great for the studio and great for the film, but its utterly dreadful for the box-office. Plus, and I may be shot down for saying this, but don't audiences want to go and watch something else? Seriously? I thought the same with The Hunger Games, too.
    That's true. As much as I loved 'The Hunger Games', and 'The Avengers', I feel kinda sorry for 'Pirates: Band Of Misfits'. It actually looked like A fun little movie. Yet, it came out at the wrong time, and as A result, got lost in the crowd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Krueger View Post
    Still, it’s never a good thing when a 200 million dollar movie flops. People don't realise it when they say things like "I hope this or that flops". It produces a ripple effect that's felt all around the film industry. Fewer films will get the greenlight as a result, and it won't just be other "mindless high budget films" like Battleship, which is an ignorant belief that a lot of people have.Where do people think the studios get the money from for the smaller, cheaper (and sometimes better) films? Love them or hate them, the studios heavily rely on the summer tentpoles for substance. They’re the only kind of films that can potentially make a studio hundreds of millions of dollars in one go.
    Very good point. It's great when I movie you really enjoy does very well, (And let me tell you, it's A great feeling.) but while there are plenty of films that make you roll your eyes in disgust at first glance, you can't really blame the studios for hoping that they succeed since they pumped millions of dollars into them. It's even more disappointing when A movie your looking forward too doesn't live up to it's hype, and potential.
    Last edited by mbaker; May 20, 2012 at 10:15pm.

  7. #807
    Evil Master of Warcraft
    GeologyMule's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Knoxvegas, TN
    Posts
    5,709
    I watched the Dictator. It was funny, didn't really flow that well, and I don't have a desire to see it again. I give it a "meh"
    Giving away three free months of World of Warcraft + copy of game. PM me for details.

    Diablo III Battletag = Hordack#1465 WoW - Ghostlands Sever XBL Gamertag = Hordack1980


  8. #808
    Almighty Dictator Skullface's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    5,346
    I cannot believe they're forecasting MIB3 to pull in $84mil over the 4-day weekend. I was never a fan of the franchise, but it's been 10 years since MIB2, and I have yet to hear anyone say they're interested in seeing it...
    This space for rent, apparently.....

  9. #809
    Born A Monster wolfsfang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    6,339
    why has it been renamed Pirates: Band of Misfits?

    What is wrong with the proper (British) title of "Pirates in an Adventure with Scientists" ? it was attention grabbing and fun sounding, it's like changing Harry Potter and the Philosophers Stone to Harry Potter and the Sorcerers Stone...pretty much strange and nonsensical
    Take a look at my attempts at coloring

    and if you get the chance

    Check out my Deviant Art Gallery

  10. #810
    Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Camden, NJ
    Posts
    19,514
    Quote Originally Posted by Skullface View Post
    I cannot believe they're forecasting MIB3 to pull in $84mil over the 4-day weekend. I was never a fan of the franchise, but it's been 10 years since MIB2, and I have yet to hear anyone say they're interested in seeing it...
    Will Smith, baby!

    ...then again, there was Wild Wild West...

    The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

    Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

  11. #811
    Master of New Adventures!
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    5,501
    Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    Will Smith, baby!

    ...then again, there was Wild Wild West...
    How they could have so badly missed the boat with a high concept of Western Steampunk is beyond me... Then again then was another clunker called COWBOYS & ALIENS that didn't even make back it's budget worldwide so it was a big loss. Maybe there's just something about cowboy steampunk that doesn't work.

  12. #812
    Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Camden, NJ
    Posts
    19,514
    Quote Originally Posted by Heeeere's Olesker! View Post
    How they could have so badly missed the boat with a high concept of Western Steampunk is beyond me... Then again then was another clunker called COWBOYS & ALIENS that didn't even make back it's budget worldwide so it was a big loss. Maybe there's just something about cowboy steampunk that doesn't work.
    Jonah Hex too. What was the last Western that did very well?

    The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

    Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

  13. #813
    Heroic Warrior Piccolo Daimaoh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    1,233
    I still want to see Pirates Band of Misfits. Then afterwards I'll probably sneak into Avengers if there are any open seats.
    A journey that began long ago in a place neither near nor far…
    A story of heroes, passed down through the ages…
    Until now.
    This is our story. These are our heroes…

  14. #814
    Master of New Adventures!
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    5,501
    Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    Jonah Hex too. What was the last Western that did very well?
    Tombstone. A brilliant film great direction and cinematography and an all around excellent cast. True West Magazine called it "One of the five best Western films of all time." Budget was $25 million and U.S. gross was $56 million. Sooooooo watchable.
    Last edited by Heeeere's Olesker!; May 25, 2012 at 08:01pm.

  15. #815
    Quester JonWes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    13,946
    I think the last western to do well was probably the remake of True Grit. It made $251m on a budget of $38m

  16. #816
    Heroic Warrior Krueger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    England, UK
    Posts
    2,848
    Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    Jonah Hex too. What was the last Western that did very well?
    That’s one of the reasons why a lot of people see doom and gloom for the 215 million budgeted Lone Ranger next year. I’m inclined to agree.

  17. #817
    Cobra Saboteur Firefly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Classified
    Posts
    8,184
    MIB (rumored budget between $225 - $300 million) opens to soft numbers. It seems like everyone outside of Avengers is not having a good summer box office so far.

    weekend estimates 5/25-5/27:

    1 Men In Black 3 $55,000,000
    2 The Avengers $36,987,000 ($513,672,000)
    3 Battleship $10,800,000 ($44,300,000)
    4 The Dictator $9,600,000 ($41,448,000)
    5 Chernobyl Diaries $8,000,000
    6 Dark Shadows $7,515,000 ($62,998,000)
    7 What to Expect When You’re Expecting $7,150,000 ($22,171,000)
    8 The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel 6,350,000 ($16,553,000)
    9 The Hunger Games $2,750,000 ($395,209,000)
    10 Think Like A Man $1,400,000 ($88,272,000)

  18. #818
    Argenternian heavy-eternium's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    BUENOS AIRES,ARGENTINA,SOUTH OF HEAVEN
    Posts
    1,811
    funny how some movies don't work well in America but in international box office works well . battleship only accumulated 44 millions in U.S and in the rest of the world it already accumulated 232 millions( not counting last weekend).
    Visit the MOTU LATINO site
    MOTULA.ORG

  19. #819
    Born A Monster wolfsfang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    6,339
    Quote Originally Posted by heavy-eternium View Post
    funny how some movies don't work well in America but in international box office works well . battleship only accumulated 44 millions in U.S and in the rest of the world it already accumulated 232 millions( not counting last weekend).
    well to be fair Battleship only came out on May 18th in the USA whereas at least here in the UK it came out April 11th (which means we had had it 47 days longer), in fact it has been out so long that it is basically no longer advertised, even the billboards advertising it are no longer up where I live and it is pretty much considered an over and done with, time to move on now film so it has had time accumulate all that money
    Take a look at my attempts at coloring

    and if you get the chance

    Check out my Deviant Art Gallery

  20. #820
    Heroic Warrior Krueger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    England, UK
    Posts
    2,848
    Through Monday MIB 3 is projected to gross about 202 million worldwide, so it’s not looking too bad. It’s pretty much guaranteed at least 450 million worldwide. We’ve got to realise that this is a sequel to a very weak 2nd film, so for it to actually have made as much as it has is actually quite impressive.

  21. #821
    Quester JonWes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    13,946
    The problem is MIB is rumored to cost $300m budget-wise.

  22. #822
    Heroic Warrior Krueger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    England, UK
    Posts
    2,848
    Quote Originally Posted by JonWes View Post
    The problem is MIB is rumored to cost $300m budget-wise.
    I know. That is a problem. I will say that the Hollywood Reporter pegs the budget at 230 million. Still absurdly high, though. When all is said and done I don't think MIB 3 will be a flop, but it probably won't make Sony much money, either. As I said before, weak sequels usually hurt the next sequel, so Sony should thank their lucky stars it’s made as much as it has at this stage.

    Not to sound cynical, but I really don't think this film should have been made. Firstly, the second film really turned a lot of people off. It’s objectively a very bad film. Secondly, the budget is far too high, but that's more to do with the numerous production problems it faced. And thirdly, and in my opinion the most important point, is this truly a franchise that people care about? Was their a worldwide fanbase utterly salivating for this film? Would many people the world over have complained if a MIB 3 had never ever been made? I really don't think so. These three points are why I believe Sony is probably breathing a sigh of relief as I type this. It could have been a bloodbath, but MIB 3 seems to have faired quite well so far.

    I don't think we'll be seeing a MIB 4 anytime soon. Sony will be on the hunt for their next franchise. I believe they have the rights to MOTU.

  23. #823
    Super Powered Mod! markatisu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Near Cyclone Nation (Iowa)
    Posts
    22,686
    Well to be honest I think Sony is quite happy, MIB2 just about ruined the franchise and there was a lot of ill will going into this movie.

    We saw it today, and it was 100x better than MIB2. I think Josh Brolin did a fantastic job and I think the positive word of mouth it is getting will help it a bit. It won't be a smash hit but if people are speaking honestly they would admit this was never going to do good.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    Jonah Hex too. What was the last Western that did very well?
    True Grit, 2010. $38m budget and $171m gross in the US, $80m overseas. Then again it was a remake

    Brokeback Mountain was probably the only one in the 2000's ($18m budget, $83m gross)

    You can find a bunch going back to the 90's with Dances with Wolves, Tombstone, Unforgiven, and Maverick
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

    Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback

  24. #824
    Quester JonWes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    13,946
    If it cost $300m plus marketing expenses I'm not sure they'll be HAPPY unless it starts making significantly more or merch takes off. $450m global wouldn't cut it. We'll see.

  25. #825
    Heroic Warrior Krueger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    England, UK
    Posts
    2,848
    Quote Originally Posted by JonWes View Post
    If it cost $300m plus marketing expenses I'm not sure they'll be HAPPY unless it starts making significantly more or merch takes off. $450m global wouldn't cut it. We'll see.
    I'm not hearing 300 for the budget alone. I'm hearing 230 (from the Hollywood Reporter) for the budget, plus another 100 or so for the marketing.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •