Page 8 of 36 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: Weekend Box Office Thread

Quote Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
    Not surprised at all with Twilight -- all of my younger cousins were flocking to the midnight showing and then seeing it again this weekend. I thought Bolt would have cracked into the $30s though.
    Agreed, even my mother in law wanted to see Twilight (her 2nd choice was Bolt)

Bolt did good given the climate with Twilight opening and Madagascar remaining strong

If it drops between 40-45% it should have decent legs to make the $80-100m they are anticipating
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback

Role Models is hilarious (don't remember any offensive gay stuff ), and Twilight was very good.

Looks like we may have written off Bolt too early, its now on track to make more than Disneys last big grossing CGI feature (Non-Pixar) Meet The Robinsons

According to Variety:
    Disney’s “Bolt,” playing in 3,654 runs, pulled off a stunning coup in showing a 1.4% increase over last weekend. Family film grossed an estimated $36 million for five days, and $26.6 million for the weekend, for a cume of $66.9 million in its 10th day.
    According to Bloomberg:
    Nov. 30 (Bloomberg) -- “Four Christmases,” a comedy about a couple forced to visit their families on Christmas, was the top movie at U.S. and Canadian theaters during the Thanksgiving weekend.

The film from Time Warner Inc.’s Warner Bros. studio earned $31.7 million during the three-day weekend and $46.7 million during the five-day Thanksgiving holiday that began Nov. 26, box-office tracker Media By Numbers LLC said today in an e- mailed statement.

“‘Four Christmases” is the perfect Thanksgiving weekend movie,” said Paul Dergarabedian, president of Media By Numbers, in an interview. “Families like this type of movie to really kick off the holiday season.”

The movie stars Vince Vaughn and Academy Award-winning actress Reese Witherspoon in the lead roles.

Walt Disney Co.’s “Bolt,” an animated film featuring the voices of John Travolta and Miley Cyrus, was second with $26.6 million in weekend sales and $39.5 million during the five-day period. The movie is the first from Walt Disney Animation since Pixar’s John Lasseter took the reins in 2006.

“Twilight,” the vampire romance popular with teenage girls, dropped to third from first last weekend with $26.4 million during the weekend and $36 million over the Thanksgiving period.
    1. Four Christmases $31.7
    2. Bolt $26.6
    3. Twilight $26.4
    4. Quantum of Solstace $19.5
    5. Madagascar 2 $14.5
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

He-Man.org Forum Admin TheShadow's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by markatisu View Post
    Looks like we may have written off Bolt too early, its now on track to make more than Disneys last big grossing CGI feature (Non-Pixar) Meet The Robinsons
    I didn't see Bolt, but I loved Meet the Robinsons more than any of the Pixar flicks. So, kudos for Disney's Bolt!

Just released 10/6/2013: EPISODE 55 of Masters Cast!
    The He-Man & She-Ra Podcast at www.masterscast.com

Quote Originally Posted by Patreek View Post
    I'm sorry but as funny as the Role Models movie was, I found it to be very offensive. Was all the gay stuff needed? None of it was nessesary to the movie, it wasn't even used for a laugh, it was just in there being homophobic. I'm surprised Paul Rudd co-wrote it....
    Wha? I don't remember anything homophobic. I laughed my ass off during the whole movie.
    "Skeletor to King Randor...Skeletor to King Randor. Come in, you royal boob!"

Evil master of... stuff. He-Lurker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
    I didn't see Bolt, but I loved Meet the Robinsons more than any of the Pixar flicks. So, kudos for Disney's Bolt!
    I'm glad Bolt is still doing well. It's a good movie!

Dec. 5th-7th weekend box office numbers in millions:

1 FOUR CHRISTMASES 18.2
    2 TWILIGHT 13.2
    3 BOLT 9.7
    4 AUSTRALIA 7.0
    5 QUANTUM OF SOLACE 6.6
    6 MADAGASCAR: ESCAPE 2 AFRICA 5.1
    7 TRANSPORTER 3 4.5
    8 PUNISHER: WAR ZONE 4.0
    9 CADILLAC RECORDS 3.5
    10 ROLE MODELS 2.6

Ouch for Punisher. The R rating and very poor reviews probably killed it. Even Transporter which hasn't been doing great in the box office beat it.

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    Dec. 5th-7th weekend box office numbers in millions:

1 FOUR CHRISTMASES 18.2
    2 TWILIGHT 13.2
    3 BOLT 9.7
    4 AUSTRALIA 7.0
    5 QUANTUM OF SOLACE 6.6
    6 MADAGASCAR: ESCAPE 2 AFRICA 5.1
    Given the economy and whats been released, the top half is doing pretty well

Four Christmases and Bolt headed toward $100m, Twilight headed toward $150m, and 007 and Madagascar 2 headed toward $200m

Bolt only need $17.5m to surpass Meet the Robinsons (Disneys last CGI attempt) and 007 needs $16m to become the biggest grossing Bond movie of all time. Both will do well over the holidays

In some ways, the poor economy actually helps the box office. With people taking less trips and cutting back on other expensive entertainment options, movies provide a nice escapism from daily life at an affordable price.

Evil Master of Warcraft
    Ouch for Punisher. The R rating and very poor reviews probably killed it. Even Transporter which hasn't been doing great in the box office beat it.
    I went last night to watch it with a girl I work with. It was terrible. She got up halfway through and said she would meet me outside when it was over. The story was poor, and the violence was too much.
    Giving away three free months of World of Warcraft + copy of game. PM me for details.

Diablo III Battletag = Hordack#1465 WoW - Ghostlands Sever XBL Gamertag = Hordack1980

Weekend box office for Dec. 12-14 in millions:

1 THE DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL 31.0
    2 FOUR CHRISTMASES 13.3
    3 TWILIGHT 8.0
    4 BOLT 7.5
    5 AUSTRALIA 4.3
    6 QUANTUM OF SOLACE 3.8
    7 NOTHING LIKE THE HOLIDAYS 3.5
    8 MADAGASCAR: ESCAPE 2 AFRICA 3.3
    9 MILK 2.6
    10 TRANSPORTER 3 2.3

BOLT 7.5
    Bolt keeps going (now at around $89m), only down 23% from last week.

Will be coming to $100m around Christmas

Movie mayhem!
    Its nice to see MILK in the top ten... i saw it tonight...the beginning was a little cheesy but once it got up and running... amazing...

Good to see Twilight still on the charts I kinda like the movie, not a masterpiece but I'd enjoy it
    Our ancestor are praying for the wealthy of his generation, Many has come and we will wait for more.
    "I know what it's like to lose someone you love" - Through Her Eyes Dream Theater.

Death is inevitable, death will keep his promise to greet you in the after life.
    And god will keep his promise to judge you right or wrong. Then your soul will be there forever after.

Evil master of... stuff. He-Lurker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by markatisu View Post
    Bolt keeps going (now at around $89m), only down 23% from last week.

Will be coming to $100m around Christmas
    Ya! I hope it would do well, it's a good little movie. Must have some good word of mouth too

Delgo has secured the spot for #1 worst wide release ever. Not too surprising really. The character designs look horrendous.

Sssqueeze's go-to guy sssqueezeme's Avatar
    Down in Subternia, hanging out with Sssqueeze and the gang.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad2dbone View Post
    Delgo has secured the spot for #1 worst wide release ever. Not too surprising really. The character designs look horrendous.
    I noticed that movie was playing at the theatre last week, when I saw "The Day the Earth Stood Still". I never heard of the movie at all. After reading the link you provided, I could see why that movie bombed. I thought I would see Eddie Murphy's "Meet Dave" on the top ten worst movie. That movie does deserve to be listed on the top ten after the horrendous opening weekend last summer.
    Some Sectaur Goals:
    #1: Obtain reproductions of each of the five unproduced second series figures including companion beasts and accessories.

#2: Construct customized figures of-
    Gnatseye w/ Jumpyr, Regent Galken, Scorpia, Royal Guard, Skull Soldier, Sting Trooper, Drone Trooper, Thornet, Empress Devora and Wing Warrior w/ flying steed

Dec. 19-21 weekend box office in millions:

1 YES MAN 18.2
    2 SEVEN POUNDS 16.0
    3 THE TALE OF DESPEREAUX 10.5
    4 THE DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL 10.2
    5 FOUR CHRISTMASES 7.8
    6 TWILIGHT 5.2
    7 BOLT 4.3
    8 SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE 3.2
    9 AUSTRALIA 2.3
    10 QUANTUM OF SOLACE 2.2

I'm sure the bad weather is affecting the box office some this weekend.

Box Office for 12/26-12/28

1. Marley and Me $37m
    2. Bedtime Stories $28m
    3. The Curious Case of Benjamin Button $27m
    4. Valkyrie $21.5m
    5. Yes Man $16.4m
    6. Seven Pounds $13.4m
    7. The Tale of Despereaux $9.4m
    8. The Day the Earth Stood Still $7.9m
    9. The Spirit $6.5m
    10. Doubt $5.7m

I am not sure why but I expected more out of The Spirit, maybe next week it will increase since it did come out Christmas Day

Out of the Top 10 was Bolt which easily surpassed $102m

Given The Spirit's fresh rating of 16% on rottentomatoes.com, I'm guessing it will not jump up next week. I might rent it down the road. There is nothing out now that I am dying to see, but I want to see Benjamin Button at least as a rental.

The Spirit was one of the worst movies I ever sat through... I'm surprised it made that much!

I had no desire to see any of the other opening movies. Especially since I only support Jennifer Aniston if they do a Friends reunion.

I will most likely rent Benjamin Button as well, like Firefly mentioned.

The Spirit is up to $15,784,000 now.

This review makes me proud. Maybe Christina will save the movie.

http://www.moviesonline.ca/movie_rev...l.php?id=12430

The Spirit Movie Review
    5 out of 10 Stars
    By: moviemaven

Frank Miller's second directorial outing is his vision of Will Eisner's The Spirit. While the look and feel is reminiscent of his own Sin City, the similarities pretty much end there.

When the film begins, fans of his artwork will be pleased but for some that feeling will fade rather quickly. The story is interesting, the cast is well put together and the girlies are hot but the forced humor has a habit of getting into the brain like a spike.

This mostly falls on the Samuel L Jackson character, The Octopus. Jackson is his usual over the top tough-guy self but it doesn't translate as well in this medium as it does in say, Pulp Fiction.

There is a nice little nod to Marathon Man that I'm afraid most viewers will miss but other than that it gets tedious at times and even boring. I found myself watching my watch periodically.

I definitely have a solid crush on Gabriel Macht now. His portrayal of The Spirit is sexy and alluring and one of my favorite lines from the film is his: "Somebody get me a tie and it damned well better be red."

Sadly I was not smitten with the film in its entirety and I was not the only one. I heard many grumbles from moviegoers as we left the theater. There was no telltale excited chatter. It was almost as if we were filing out of a funeral.

I will say that one of the highlights was the end...not only because it was over but because I love Christina Aguilera's version of the song "Falling in Love Again (can't help it)." That kept me glued to my seat through the credits. The film alone could not have done such.
    Last edited by Tallstar; January 3, 2009 at 04:14pm.
    "My favorite Harry Potter movie is Troll."

The Spirit drops to No. 13 this week, while Marley & Me keeps the No. 1 spot.

Variety.com:

Twentieth Century Fox’s “Marley & Me” remained best in show at the weekend box office, fetching a winning gross of $24 million from 3,505 runs for a cume of $107 million in only 11 days.
    The first weekend of 2009 capped an unusually robust Christmas sesh at the box office. Four of the five films opening on Dec. 25 did boffo business over the two-week frame.

Disney’s Adam Sandler family comedy “Bedtime Stories” placed No. 2 for the weekend in grossing an estimated $20.3 million from 3,684 locations for a cume of $85.6 million.

Brad Pitt-Cate Blanchett starrer “The Curious Case of Benjamin Button,” from Paramount and directed by David Fincher, continued to exceed expectations. Film grossed an estimated $18.4 million from 2,988 locations for a cume of $79.2 million.

United Artists/MGM’s Tom Cruise Nazi drama “Valkyrie” thrilled as well. Directed by Bryan Singer in his first feature outing since “Superman Returns,” “Valkyrie” grossed an estimated $14.3 million for a cume of $60.7 million.

All four titles saw minimal declines from the previous weekend. “Marley” fell 34%, “Bedtime,” 26%, “Button,” 31%, and “Valkyrie,” 33%.

Lionsgate wasn’t so lucky with its Christmas Day release, Frank Miller’s “ The Spirit.” Pic grossed $3.3 million from 2,509 playdates for an 11 day cume of $17.75. It came in No. 13 for the weekend.

Warner Bros.’ Jim Carrey laffer “Yes Man” came in No. 5 for the weekend, declining only 17%. Comedy, released Dec. 19, grossed $13.9 million from 3,434 for a cume of $79.4 million.
    http://www.variety.com/article/VR111...goryid=13&cs=1

I heard spirit was crap, and i wanted to see it....

Movies i really want to see are benjamin button and gran tarino

I am very surprised at people going to Valkyrie. Tom Cruise will continue to keep me away from any movie he is in for a long time to come.