Page 9 of 36 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: Weekend Box Office Thread

Quote Originally Posted by HE-FAN79 View Post
    I heard spirit was crap, and i wanted to see it....
    It really was. The jokes were so not funny IMO. The Octopus' clones were especially annoying to me.
    "My favorite Harry Potter movie is Troll."

Quote Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
    I am very surprised at people going to Valkyrie. Tom Cruise will continue to keep me away from any movie he is in for a long time to come.
    Agreed, I think people are going to see this movie more because of the story as History Channel has been pushing it pretty hard

All the reviews I have seemed to hate the movie
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback

Heroic Warrior of Avion
    Quote Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
    I am very surprised at people going to Valkyrie. Tom Cruise will continue to keep me away from any movie he is in for a long time to come.
    Ditto that. I can't stand him.

--Leanne

Weekend box office Jan. 9-11 in millions:

1 GRAN TORINO 29
    2 BRIDE WARS 21.5
    3 THE UNBORN 21.1
    4 MARLEY & ME 11.4
    5 THE CURIOUS CASE OF BENJAMIN.. 9.5
    6 BEDTIME STORIES 8.6
    7 VALKYRIE 6.7
    8 YES MAN 6.2
    9 NOT EASILY BROKEN 5.6
    10 SEVEN POUNDS 3.9

Clint Eastwood's film takes the number 1 spot. I want to see the movie The Wrestler someday. It isn't out in my area yet, but is suppose to be soon. It is doing pretty good in its limited release.

I just noticed The Spirit got dropped by 1,420 theatres. Down to 1,088

EDIT:

Box office for January 16-18 (The Spirit is down to 168 theatres)

I didn't think Notorious would be all that popular.

1. Paul Blart: Mall Cop $33,800,000
    2. Gran Torino $22,235,000
    3. My Bloody Valentine 3-D $21,900,000
    4. Notorious $21,500,000
    5. Hotel for Dogs $17,707,000
    6. Bride Wars $11,750,000
    7. The Unborn (2009) $9,849,000
    8. Defiance $9,206,000
    9. Marley and Me $6,325,000
    10. Slumdog Millionaire $5,900,000
    Last edited by Tallstar; January 18, 2009 at 03:39pm.
    "My favorite Harry Potter movie is Troll."

Weekend box office for Jan. 30-Feb. 1st in milllions:

1 TAKEN 24.6
    2 PAUL BLART: MALL COP 14 (83.4)
    3 THE UNINVITED 10.5
    4 HOTEL FOR DOGS 8.7 (48.2)
    5 GRAN TORINO 8.6 (110.5)
    6 SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE 7.7 (67.2)
    7 UNDERWORLD: RISE OF THE LYCANS 7.2 (32.8)
    8 NEW IN TOWN 6.8
    9 MY BLOODY VALENTINE 4.3 (44.6)
    10 INKHEART 3.7 (12.8)

Taken had a pretty nice showing for this Super Bowl weekend.

Movie mayhem!
    Slumdog is moving back up baby!!

Quote Originally Posted by Patreek View Post
    Slumdog is moving back up baby!!
    I might go see that this week.

Glad to see Gran Torino still on the list. Some bad acting, but overall, EXCELLENT movie.
    If Jack Bauer was on Lost, everything would have been solved in 24 hours!

If Jack Bauer was on Heroes, he wouldn't need to save the cheerleader to save the world.

He-Man.org Forum Admin TheShadow's Avatar
    Kevin James must be rolling around in happiness Cha-ching $$!

The entire top 10 looks as appealing to me as eating spoiled food. In other words: completely unappealing.

Just released 10/6/2013: EPISODE 55 of Masters Cast!
    The He-Man & She-Ra Podcast at www.masterscast.com

Movie mayhem!
    Quote Originally Posted by RocketPunch View Post
    I might go see that this week.
    You should, I think you'll really enjoy it. Its sort of multi genre, I can't imagine anyone not liking it. Its just really solidly good.

Huge weekend for Friday the 13th:

Warner Bros./New Line’s redo “Friday the 13th” scared up the best opening ever for a horror movie in grossing an estimated $42.2 million from 3,105 theaters through Sunday.
    Film, breathing new life into the classic franchise, is on its way to posting the best four-day holiday gross ever for a R-rated pic. Studios will report four-day numbers for President’s Day weekend on Monday.

Paramount is a partner on “Friday,” which was produced by Michael Bay’s Platinum Dunes. Production budget was $19 million, meaning the film recouped those costs in its first day in release (Friday’s gross was $19.4 million.

The combo of Valentine’s Day and the long President’s Day weekend produced another record-breaking sesh for the domestic box office. Three-day grosses for the top 10 films were up a staggering 40% over last year, according to Rentrak.

It was especially prosperous for New Line and Warners, whose chick flick “He’s Just Not That Into You” beat newcomer “Confessions of a Shopaholic” to come in No. 2.

“He’s Just Not” declined 29% to an estimated $19.6 million from 3,175 runs for the three-day weekend. Pic has earned $55.1 million in its first 10 days, far outpacing expectations and giving New Line the top two spots at the B.O. for the first time in its history.

Twentieth Century Fox’s sleeper hit “Taken” also continued to dazzle, dropping a mere 6%—an unheard of decline—to an estimated $19.3 million from ,109 theaters for a cume of $77.9 million in its third sesh.

Disney’s “Shopaholic,” starring Isla Fisher, placed No. 4 for the three-day weekend, grossing an estimated $15.4 million from 2,507 theaters.

Focus Features’ stop-motion, 3-D family entry “Coraline” impressed in grossing an estimated $15.3 million from 2,320 theaters for a cume of $35.6 million in its second sesh. Pic declined only 9% to place No. 5.

And there’s no stopping Sony laffer “Paul Blart Mall Cop,” which crossed the $100 million mark at the domestic B.O. over the weekend. For the three-days, “Mall Cop” grossed an estimated $11.7 million from 2,965 for a cume of $110.5 and coming in No. 6.

According to Sony, “Mall Cop” is the first original January release to reach $100 million.

Sony’s wasn’t as lucky with adult suspenser “The International,” which debuted at No. 7 for the three days. Film grossed an estimated $10 million from 2,364 theaters. Studio expects the film to be a strong overseas perofrmer.

Sony also took the No. 8 spot with “Pink Panther 2,” which dipped 22% in its second sesh to an estimated $9 million from 3,245 theaters for a cume of $22.3 million in its first 10 days.

Oscar best pic contender “Slumdog Millionaire” stayed on the top 10 chart, coming in No. 9 for the three-day weekend. Film grossed an estimated $7.2 million from 1,634 runs for a cume of $86.5 million.

Summit Entertainment’s “Push” came in No. 10, declining 31% in its second sesh to an estimated $6.9 million for a cume of $19.3 million.
    http://www.variety.com/article/VR111...goryid=13&cs=1

That's such an amazing opening.

Even though I wasn't overly impressed with it, maybe they'll finally start moving on my Alice, Sweet Alice!

Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    That's such an amazing opening.

Even though I wasn't overly impressed with it, maybe they'll finally start moving on my Alice, Sweet Alice!
    WOW that is a lot for a Friday the 13th opening

And we saw Taken yesterday (the 2:10 we were in was completely sold out), such an awesome awesome movie. It deserves the money its making
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Quote Originally Posted by markatisu View Post
    WOW that is a lot for a Friday the 13th opening

And we saw Taken yesterday (the 2:10 we were in was completely sold out), such an awesome awesome movie. It deserves the money its making
    Both of those movies were pretty good, just saw them both this weekend!
    Contact me if you have MOTU Merchandise Items for sale or trade! Please view a sampling of what I am looking for Here:
    http://photobucket.com/albums/v400/j...ase%20Contact/
    http://photobucket.com/albums/v400/j...need%20Europe/

Weekend box office in millions for Feb. 20-22:

1 TYLER PERRY'S MADEA GOES TO JAIL 41.1
    2 TAKEN 11.4
    3 CORALINE 11.0
    4 HE'S JUST NOT THAT INTO YOU 8.5
    5 SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE 8.
    6 FRIDAY THE 13TH 7.8
    7 CONFESSIONS OF A SHOPAHOLIC 7.0
    8 PAUL BLART: MALL COP 7.0
    9 FIRED UP 6.0
    10 THE INTERNATIONAL 4.5

I have yet to watch a Tyler Perry movie, but he seems to have a following. Friday the 13th drops big in its second weekend.

Co-Creator of the NV
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post

2 TAKEN 11.4
    3 CORALINE 11.0
    4 HE'S JUST NOT THAT INTO YOU 8.5
    5 SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE 8.
    6 FRIDAY THE 13TH 7.8
    7 CONFESSIONS OF A SHOPAHOLIC 7.0
    8 PAUL BLART: MALL COP 7.0
    9 FIRED UP 6.0
    10 THE INTERNATIONAL 4.5

I have yet to watch a Tyler Perry movie, but he seems to have a following. Friday the 13th drops big in its second weekend.
    I sincerely never knew how big those Madea movies are. I know very little about them, but that's a bloody fortune!

And ya, that's a huge second week drop for Friday the 13th.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Latveria View Post
    I sincerely never knew how big those Madea movies are. I know very little about them, but that's a bloody fortune!

Thats the first I have heard of them But it took in a lot of money. Can't wait till the Watchmen come out in a couple of weeks
    Contact me if you have MOTU Merchandise Items for sale or trade! Please view a sampling of what I am looking for Here:
    http://photobucket.com/albums/v400/j...ase%20Contact/
    http://photobucket.com/albums/v400/j...need%20Europe/

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post

2 TAKEN 11.4

You should check out House of Payne on TBS, he writes that show as well

It has a huge following though, books, direct to video and tv shows

Amazed to see Taken still up near the top, its a great movie and appears well on its way to $100m which is really good considering the studio delayed its release because it did not expect it to do much business (it was released overseas a whole ago and even is on DVD internationally)

Madea beats the Jonas Brothers and Street Fighter opens in 8th:

Soft bow for 'Jonas Brothers' pic

The Jonas Brothers' performance at the weekend boxoffice proved not so extra-dimensional.

Disney's "Jonas Brothers: The 3-D Concert" rung up an estimated $12.7 million to open in second place among domestic rankings. The haul was roughly half what many had expected for the pic based on growing appeal of 3-D projection and anticipated support among preteen fans.

The soft bow allowed Tyler Perry's "Madea Goes to Jail" from Lionsgate to repeat at No. 1 despite a big 60% drop from opening grosses. The urban comedy registered $16.5 million on the session for a 10-day tally of $64.8 million representing Perry's best-ever theatrical cume.

Like Hilary Duff and Miley Cyrus before them, the Jonas Brothers have grown from early exposure on the Disney Channel to broader public acclaim. Their hitting the big screen with a 3-D concert pic followed a similar move by Cyrus in February 2008.

Disney opened Cyrus' 3-D concert film, "Hannah Montana/Miley Cyrus: Best of Both Worlds," to $31.1 million in what initially was billed as a one-week-only release. "Best of Both Worlds" eventually was extended and rung up $65.3 million overall domestically.

So in a notable distinction from "Concert," the bow for "Best of Both Worlds" was enhanced by fans' belief that they had to catch the Cyrus pic over its first weekend. "Concert" is set for a multiweek run, so before the pic's release, studio execs cautioned against expecting a Joneses bow of Cyrus proportions.

"I'm as happy as can be," Disney distribution president Chuck Viane insisted Sunday. "When you're looking at almost $10,000 per auditorium, that's doing really well. And it's the N. 2 concert opening of all time."

"Best of Both Worlds" played in just 687 theaters because of limited 3-D availability at the time; "Concert" played in 1,271 venues. "Concert" audiences skewed 85% female, with 65% of patrons age 17 or under.

Elsewhere this weekend, the Fox-distributed martial arts actioner "Street Fighter: The Legend of Chun-Li" debuted in eighth place with $4.7 million. "Legend" -- which was produced and financed by Hyde Park -- attracted opening audiences skewing young and male, but precise demo data were unavailable.

"It met our expectations," Fox senior vp distribution Bert Livingston said of the bow.

Fox Searchlight added several hundred playdates for its Oscar magnet "Slumdog Millionaire" and grossed $12.2 million to finish third on the frame and boost cume to $115.1 million.

"It was the highest weekend gross of a best picture Academy Awards winner in 10 years," Searchlight senior vp distribution Sheila DeLoach said.

Focus Features brought "Milk" back into wide release after topliner Sean Pen copped a best actor statuette, with the Harvey Milk biopic fetching $1.5 million to boost cume to $30.1 million.

The Weinstein Co. padded its wide release of Nazi-themed drama "The Reader" following Kate Winslet's best actress win and grossed $2.9 million for a $27 million cume.

In a limited bow, the Weinsteins unspooled Harrison Ford-Ashley Judd starrer "Crossing Over" in nine New York and Los Angeles theaters, ringing up $75,590 million, or a solid $8,399 per venue.

After Dark Films' Edward Burns starrer "Echelon Conspiracy" grossed $554,126 from 400 locations, or a thin $1,385 per site.

Sony Pictures Classics added 153 playdates for a total of 208 for its animated feature "Waltz With Bashir" and grossed $188,194, or just $905 per engagement, as cume reached $1.8 million.

SPC also expanded its French-language drama "The Class" by 11 locations for a total of 73 and grossed $313,540, or an acceptable $4,295 per site, with a $1.7 million cume.

IFC Films added 14 locations for a total of 20 for its Italian-language mob pic "Gomorrah" to register $144,829, or a sturdy $7,241 per site. "Gomorrah" cume climbed to $380,246.

And Warner Bros. added one theater for a total of 51 for its 3-D Imax nature film "Under the Sea," grossing $563,000, or an enviable $11,039 per venue, with a $2.4 million cume.

Meantime, the weekend's $112 million in collective industry grosses marked a 15% improvement over the same frame last year, according to Nielsen EDI.

Year-to-date, 2009 is up just 3% -- at $1.6 billion – but the modest nature of that rise is due only to seasonal fluctuations in the boxoffice calendar. In a stat that's much more telling of the currently hot marketplace, the domestic boxoffice has notched year-over-year upticks over seven of eight weekends this boxoffice year.

Looking ahead, arguably the year's first tentpole release -- Warners' action fantasy "Watchmen" -- already looks likely to open well. There are no other wide openers over the coming frame, and must-see interest in "Watchmen" has been high for weeks in pre-release tracking surveys.
    http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/...f968a074f74a41

I think Taken was brilliantly marketed when they showed that entire scene with the girl under the bed as a commercial rather than your typical bunch of scenes put together commercial. It really pulled people in.

Watchmen should make some great money next week.

Taken is an awesome awesome movie, its sales are very well deserved

I am so glad Street Fighter bombed (I doubt it will make much more over the next few weeks), it looked like a horrible concept.Of course it will probably break even as I cannot imagine a budget for that thing was high in anyway

Movie mayhem!

I am so glad Street Fighter bombed (I doubt it will make much more over the next few weeks), it looked like a horrible concept.Of course it will probably break even as I cannot imagine a budget for that thing was high in anyway
    See... Taken I'm so split on... I really really enjoyed it... but I didn't like it... is that possible. lol Like it satisfied my "fun" factor but the minute I start to actually "think" about the movie I have to stop cause it ruins it. lol

I just got back from the reader. I've been meaning to see it for awhile now. I really really liked it. There is this scene in the court room... well and then later in the movie... well no spoilers but Kate W was just great... actually everyone in it was.

$50,000,000 for the Legend of Chun-Li:

http://cinema.theiapolis.com/movie-0...chun-li/stats/
    Petition for IDW to revive Marvel's Transformers: http://www.petitiononline.com/tf81idw/petition.html
    Marvel's Transformers IDW revival Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/TF81fromIDW?sk=wall
    Marvel comics #81 is a reality through IDW and us fans its being created.....

Quote Originally Posted by Patreek View Post
    See... Taken I'm so split on... I really really enjoyed it... but I didn't like it... is that possible. lol Like it satisfied my "fun" factor but the minute I start to actually "think" about the movie I have to stop cause it ruins it. lol
    Its a movie in the kidnapped genre, its entire purpose is for you to enjoy watching it and elicit emotion. Its not meant to be a "good" film in the acted sense or in the Academy Award sense. I mean they pretty much told you the premise and much of the story in the trailer, leaving very little in the way of twist or shock as the whole point was how badly Liam was going to hurt those who took his daughter

Its the same reason Steven Segal had his run of wildly popular movies in the mid 80's and 90's. They were horribly acted movies but were fun as heck to watch, same thing with Charles Bronson's Death Wish series

So what you said makes sense

$50,000,000 for the Legend of Chun-Li:

http://cinema.theiapolis.com/movie-0...chun-li/stats/
    Wow, could make that bag in home video but I really think a lot of people will hate this movie

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Latveria View Post

Those Tyler Perry movies are decent, but the have the same plot more or less. If you've seen one, you've seem them all. It is pretty good slapstick comedy (kinda like Urkel's comedy on Family Matters in the 90's).
    My post count just got bigger.