Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is there a line out there that is better than MOTUC?

Hover Robots in MOTUC! RockinHard's Avatar

Is there a line out there that is better than MOTUC?

Being that MOTUC is the only line I collect, and will collect, therefore really giving me no knowlege of any other lines (except for Hasbro's inferior 25th G.I. Joe series which I quit in favor of the highly superior MOTUC--my only other love from childhood), I was wondering if any of you thought that there actually are better lines out there in general? Or does MOTUC actually take the prize? Just curious.

Regardless, I love MOTU and G.I. Joe, and MOTUC is far better than most of the Joe redos Hasbro is putting out, and won't be collecting any other lines. But just curious.
    My seller/trader/buyer feedback:
    http://he-man.org/forums/boards/showthread.php?t=195461

MOTUC Most Wanted: 1) Stridor 2) Night Stalker 3) Squeeeze 4) Roton 5) Multi-Bot 6) Dragstor 7) Saurod 8) Blast-Attak 9) Karg 10) Lodar 11) Mask of Power Demons 12) TC Skeletor 13) FF He-Man 14) Talon Fighter/Point Dread 15) Road Ripper 16) Lord Masque

I don't think there is at the moment. I thought the TF Animated line was excellent as was the GI Joe 25th line, but neither went into the depth that MOTUC is going.
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by markatisu View Post
    I don't think there is at the moment. I thought the TF Animated line was excellent as was the GI Joe 25th line, but neither went into the depth that MOTUC is going.
    I think you were drunk when collecting the 25th Joe line. I liked it at first, but I could name figure after figure that Hasbro should be ashamed of for actually producing and trying to pass off as a "vintage update." MOTUC, on the other hand, nails it.

MOTUC Most Wanted: 1) Stridor 2) Night Stalker 3) Squeeeze 4) Roton 5) Multi-Bot 6) Dragstor 7) Saurod 8) Blast-Attak 9) Karg 10) Lodar 11) Mask of Power Demons 12) TC Skeletor 13) FF He-Man 14) Talon Fighter/Point Dread 15) Road Ripper 16) Lord Masque

Maybe DCUC, although that's more of a close second, and I think my tastes do not extend to Transformers. I'd put Star Wars third (too many droids and not enough characters that interest me).

I don't know what turned me off to GI Joe. Probably not enough characters that I remembered were getting made--and whenever they did they weren't so great. I don't know if they ever got to Dr. Mindbender, but Serpentor looked awful.

No!

But as DR.

Quote Originally Posted by RockinHard View Post
    I think you were drunk when collecting the 25th Joe line. I liked it at first, but I could name figure after figure that Hasbro should be ashamed of for actually producing and trying to pass off as a "vintage update." MOTUC, on the other hand, nails it.
    Yeah I stopped collecting the 25th after awhile, did not like the sculpts.

I really do like The Clone Wars line by Hasbro though, they seem to be giving tons of fanservice to the characters that show up in the show (and since its CGI it makes toys easy to get the likeness right)
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback

Evil Apologist of Mattel Count Marzo's Avatar
    Nothing else comes close. It's my personal favorite and best line to collect as an adult.
    -=EvilCuntMarz=-
    BLK FLWR!!!!

NO.

There may be phenomenal or accurate sculpting, but that usually goes with limited articulation, or they have 30+ points articulation and look really cheesey, with a big price tag.

MOTUC are a fantastic balance...and now with more 'stuff' (parts / sheilds / heads)
    COMPLETE THE COLLECTION !

MY Feedback Thread : http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=191572

To me, a line being better than MOTUC isn't possible.

DCUC is second... they just have too many closed-fists lol... and hardly any accessories.

Thundercats Classics will be a cool line... and maybe the 80's inspired Mattel Voltron line too... but nothing can surpass MOTUC for me.
    A Want List of Sorts: Eldor, Sweet Bee, Arrow, Spinnerella, NA She-Ra, Mermista, Gwildor, Hover-Bots, Tung Lasher, Angella, Ninjor, Huntara, Oo-Larr, Lizard Man, Sssqueeze, Peekablue... and all the other POP & NA characters.

Quote Originally Posted by Count Marzo View Post
    Nothing else comes close. It's my personal favorite and best line to collect as an adult.
    totally agree here ...
    ''He-Man lives and possesses that key, I must possess all or I possess nothing!'' (Skeletor, 1987)

USE YOUR ILLUSION

Nope.

When DCSH first came out and I snagged Superman and Bizzaro I started having visions of MOTU done in the same style. I hoped that we would get at least a Superman VS He-man two pack and that was the most I dared to hope for.

Now we have MOTUC figures, which IMO are much better sculpts than DCUC plus we got that two pack and a whole lot more. The huge chunky sculpt of MOTUC really hits my nostalgia buttons.

This line wouldn't have the same chemistry in a 3 1/4 version, or even in the DCUC size.

LONG LIVE MOTUC!
    I just published my very first ebook: Malediction! A short story of monsters and magic!
    Buy it now on Amazon or Barnes and Noble!

Print version, also available!

What all do the FH sculpt right now? Everything on Mattycollector?

I am ACHING for an articulated Baron Ironblood, along with some articulated Red Shadows & other Action Force.

Otherwise, I'm HardMOTUCore
    Funny Fan Fic: Meet the Rea-Por! (Heroic & Villainous Deaths) & The Mighty Spector's FIRST EVER FAN-FIC
    & not so funny Fan Fic: War of Attrition
    Trade feedback & WANTED: Bow/SLL style boots!

Is there a line out there that is better than MOTUC?
    RockinHard = BANNED!

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    Star Wars...duh. Their vintage card series is the tip of the tops.
    Last edited by Benedict Judas Hel; June 15, 2011 at 04:34pm.
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

sculptor - fantastique JimPansen's Avatar
    What a crazy question. Of course not.

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Being that MOTUC is the only line I collect, and will collect, therefore really giving me no knowlege of any other lines (except for Hasbro's inferior 25th G.I. Joe series which I quit in favor of the highly superior MOTUC--my only other love from childhood), I was wondering if any of you thought that there actually are better lines out there in general? Or does MOTUC actually take the prize? Just curious.

Regardless, I love MOTU and G.I. Joe, and MOTUC is far better than most of the Joe redos Hasbro is putting out, and won't be collecting any other lines. But just curious.
    DC Universe is the only other line that comes close right now. I usually criticize Mattel for being too careful while Hasbro takes risks. Hasbro churns their product out, but they lack the specific care that Mattel puts into it's sculpts and paint. Don't get me wrong, Hasbro does some nice work on their Transformers Generations characters and more recently Marvel Universe, but do any of their figures have nice character touches like King Hssss' smirk or smiling Adam? (Okay, Wreck-Gar is an exception)

MOTUC beats that line because of swappable heads and almost every figure (Stratos screws that up) comes with accessories. However, the line is made even greater because of the fans. If it were not for the fandom, MOTUC wouldn't have vehicles, steeds, giants, accessory packs, dioramas and other things that DCUC fans would kill to have.

It really kills me that DCUC can't get a BATMOBILE. DCUC is a retail line with releases in most major stores and Batman is the biggest character in the brand, if not the toy aisle. But even with all that, that line can't get a Batmobile, but He-Man can get a ride and vehicle thanks to his few thousand fans.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn 200X Prince Adam 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze Angella Perfuma Evilseed (MYP)

No. This is the greatest toyline ever made. The only way to make it better is to acquire FILMation/Jetlag rights and 1987 movie rights.
    Good Journey

I'll say Star Wars for one reason - vehicles.

While we are constantly told that we will not receive a Castle Grayskull, Hasbro is putting out even bigger and better vehicles like the AT-AT, Slave 1, Millenium Falcon and the list will keep going because Hasbro won't stop. How about their updated Rancor from a few years ago. Their vehicles and monsters are getting to the point were they are almost to scale. That's amazing. Plus their classic line is every Star Wars fan's dream. Hasbro had a McQuarrie line of the cool concept figures. Mattel tries to shoe-horn concept characters into the regular MOTU universe causing, IMO, a lot of questionable storylines. Hasbro acts like a company who knows how to handle their properties like Star Wars. They just keep getting better and better.
    A journey that began long ago in a place neither near nor far
    A story of heroes, passed down through the ages
    Until now.
    This is our story. These are our heroes

Evil Apologist of Mattel Count Marzo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Benedict Judas Hel View Post
    Awww jeez here come the Star Wars nerds.
    -=EvilCuntMarz=-
    BLK FLWR!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Benedict Judas Hel View Post
    Are they articulated? Or just like the old ones?
    Funny Fan Fic: Meet the Rea-Por! (Heroic & Villainous Deaths) & The Mighty Spector's FIRST EVER FAN-FIC
    & not so funny Fan Fic: War of Attrition
    Trade feedback & WANTED: Bow/SLL style boots!

Heroic Warrior
    Like others here, I really liked the GI Joe 25th line when it first launched. But those figures were such a pain to find early on, and by the time distro had improved the shelves were full of crap like Pilot Scarlett. Then Hasbro started sticking figures only in box sets (like Quick Kick) that after awhile I said "Forget it" and sold my collection to a friend.
    Positive Transactions:

As buyer: boggs32, PaTrIcKfOgArTy, Dorko2, Shecky, Shenlon (2),
    Son of Keldor

As seller: mikethedrummer, slgcmg, kngfu
    DJjoker182, bobtheodd, mahuti, FAKER II, General Hawk 7

EBay: StLouisStallions

Well...I think that it's safe to say that things may be a bit biased here....

Keeping with the whole 80's thing the SW Vintage collection is really the only other one right now that I like.

As far as nailing it, they even did a better job then MOTUC IMO by bringing the old card art together with an updated translation of the figure. It's for the most part a perfect marriage and just what I was hoping would happen.

G.I. Joe tried, but a bunch of the sculpts were pretty bad and the line was cut short.

Sure, they're making a bunch of stuff that isn't exactly vintage and from the prequels and such, but I'm not a completest so it doesn't bother me. I just get the ones that remind me of a little something from back in the day and in which I like.

Quote Originally Posted by Eternian Poet View Post
    Are they articulated? Or just like the old ones?
    They are new scuplts, articulated and on the classic card backs with a pic on the reverse of the original figure, it's packaging and a little right up about the history of the line. Plus they are making figures who were not produed in the vintage line in this classics line.
    A journey that began long ago in a place neither near nor far
    A story of heroes, passed down through the ages
    Until now.
    This is our story. These are our heroes