Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Am I Missing The Appeal?

Am I Missing The Appeal?

I feel like I am out of the loop concerning this "classics" line. There are many token nods of approval coming from the masses towards the new line but man these "new" figures to me look like slightly better reissues with articulation. Is that what that excitement is about?

I don't "play" with my figures so articulation to me is not a selling point. Could people please articulate the thrill of having a slightly different figure than the originals and reissues that can bend their arm?

Is the line for people that don't have (or remember) any of their old figures or reissues? To me I would rather finish collecting the original line MOC. This line is marketed to nostalgic fans who now have money to spend on figures but a great majority of this same demographic have KEPT their old figures and do not need to purchase nostalgia from Mattel. Oh well...

I simply do not get the appeal.

And yes, I have a bronze KG sitting right here and it isn't doing much for me.
    Last edited by nutnog; August 9, 2008 at 04:44pm.

I hear ya!

I'm not a fan of super articulation either. Ive seen Marvel Ledgens figures that cant stand on there own cause there knees gave out like a 70 year man. But yea these are like glorified remakes of the originals. Im really digging it. Some people are going crazy cause they like the 4H, some cause this is what the toyline should have looked like the entire time. Others we are finally gonna get the Green Goddess and He-Ro. And then theres peolpe like me were getting new figures and im dam happy with that. I dig the designs and hoping for the best inthe future.

I bought one of each Grayskull and still yet to arrive in the mail. So I cant really give an opinion on the figure yet except for what i have seen here at the Org. And I really like what I have seen and what the future holds.

I guess everyone has there own reason to love or dislike the new line.
    http://Motu.com.co
    Is is now up and live please check it out and spread the word please!!!

Follow me on Twitter
    BrianOzone
    My feedback threadhttp://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...or-Brian-Ozone

The fact is some people are not going to like MOTUC.
    Some will, some won't, some won't care, etc, etc.
    That's just how it goes.
    Nothing wrong with not liking it.
    There's always 2002, Original, NA, etc, for you to dig on if any of those are your thing.

The appeal for me is, while I don't necessarilly PLAY with my figures, I do like to pose them this way and that... and my old classic figures- well, we have the rubber band leg thing that over time renders a lot of the figures unstandable (my own 2 major culprits being Moss Man and Teela).
    When the 2002 figures came out, I loved 'em but even back then in 2002 I thought the articulation was limited compared to what else was out there.
    Sure, He-Man and Adam could raise the sword up, but it looked... not that great. Tri-Klops? Awesome re-do, but so sculpted into a certain position that his articulation (in the legs at least) was kind of a moot point. For what they were when they came out, each line was pretty darn good. But to me they weren't "great".
    And then the stactions came along... and the sculpts were coming out more detailed and better than ever... like things that could be alive. Except you couldn't move them AT ALL, and for the most part they too could not even stand up on their own without the bases (the bases for which I thought looked pretty bad and not very MOTU-ish).
    So now, all these lines later, we have MOTUC.
    Between the stactions and the MOTUC line, Mattel and the 4H gave us the DCU and DCUC lines. And not being a big fan in the sense that I don't know the origins of any of the characters going back in time beyond the Bruce Timm cartoon series, I still found and continue to find myself getting sucked up into collecting the Mattel-produced DC lines because- there's a great character assortment, they have cool basic sculpts, good paints, and I can move the arms, legs, torso, and head any way I please. I never get bored of having them on my desk and keep them on display moreso than the previous MOTU lines, and I'm a "bigger fan" of He-Man and co. than Batman and co.
    In a lot of ways, collecting DCUC stuff is like how I collected the classic MOTU stuff.
    And so now in 2008 Mattel and the 4H are applying what they've learned doing the DCUC stuff to good ol' Masters Of The Universe.
    And the appeal is there for me because I get to have the figures I had back in the '80s but in MUCH better shape than the old figures. And I can pose He-Man holding his sword and axe in a variety of ways, can turn his waist without it punching back (because remember, I'm not "playing", I'm "posing"... LOL), the works.
    And- more importantly, Mattel is promising me She-Ra and New Adventures characters to go along hand in hand with all the old Masters characters- so it's like having everything under this one big umbrella.
    I'm seriously giving thought to selling off my old stuff (and by that I mean the 80s and the 2002s) to make way for what- I personally- consider the New And Improved Masters Of The Universe toys come late 2008/2009.

I have been sitting back and lurking around since this line has been brought forth because it is not my thing. I do not like the anatomy of the figures as they look like they suffer from dwarfism. I have been keeping quiet about it and see that most are happy with it but not me. I wish this line could have been merged with the 2002 line. Have the 2002 anatomy and scale with the classic colors and attire with the articulation and you would have the best mixture. I really wish Mattel would of worked this line off with DCUC. I just know I will have nothing to do with MOTUC. I do not get the appeal either.
    Last edited by WENDIGO; August 8, 2008 at 10:40pm.

Heroic Master Of Bad Luck
    It's ok you don't like this new line.
    In fact, to me, is not perfect, i would prefer something more close to 200x line in terms of sculpts, with the classic colours and designs of the vintage line (that's the best of MOTUC to me)
    is not perfect, but it's soooo close...

Someone here said " if it's motu, i buy"
    and i agree TOTALLY

Someone here said " if it's motu, i buy"
    and i agree TOTALLY
    Exactly!
    I just love collecting this stuff. I'm so tempted to buy Star Wars figures, GI Joe's, Ninja turtles etc.. But I don't cause I'd get hooked on collecting them and have no money at all!

This new line Won't please everybody, but I think it's a nice blend of modern and vintage that will appeal to more people than not.

This line has reignited my passion for He-man (not that it ever waned much).

The appeal is that us classic fans, now get our chance to have to figs we`ve always wanted. 200x wasn`t bad don`t get me wrong but it wasn`t the same He Man I grew up with. This is, when I was a kid this is what I envisioned the toys being and now I`m an adult collector This is exactly what I wanted from this line. I`m not alone in this for sure, it actually brought a tear of joy to my eye when I seen the new pics of He Man and Beastman.
    Last edited by adam03; August 8, 2008 at 11:11pm.

I didn't get the appeal either at first. I was all about the stactions, and hoping to get into figures that have never been done. Then it just seemed that they were starting over again with a different look. How many versions of heman and beastman does one need?

I must say though, after seeing the pics, they do look pretty freggin cool. I guess the appeal now for me is the detail in the paint jobs and the attention given to replicating the originals.

-Hemo

Loves MOTUC canon! PaTrIcKfOgArTy's Avatar
    Be it 200x, Staction or MOTUC what I am looking to achieve is a collection of characters from my favorite toy line of all time. I am only going to have 1 version of each character so I will be picking them based on what I feel best represents the character. This makes my collection personal and unique to me and constantly evolving.

I loved the 80's toys when I was a kid but honestly as an adult, none of them are for me. I'm looking for an update, be it a re-imagination in the form of 200x, a highly detailed, scale accurate staction or the newly updated, more detailed MOTUC line.

I started this process of discrimination with the stactions, for example, I had the Evil Lyn toy but then the MYP colored staction came out and I thought it better represented Evil Lyn so I got that and sold the toy. Then the classic colored staction came out and that representation felt to me even closer to how I feel she should look so I replaced the MYP colors one. I'm very happy with her and may never replace it but I'm not locking myself down to that. If a MOTUC version is released and I like it even better, I'll swap.

King Grayskull was a no brainer as there is no other representation, so now I've got him and if another is released 10 years from now that I feel it is a better fit then I'll swap out. Same idea with the stactions that were released but not as 200x toys, i.e., Snout Spout, Hordak, Leech, Jitsu, Webstor, etc. no brainers at the time, I now have representation but am not locked down to never updating again.

Getting to this place has been a difficult process. I LOVED the 200X line and was annoyed for many reasons about the stactions being released when they were announced. I actually grew to like them more then the toys. The same thing happened when they ended and the MOTUC were announced. I was very upset but now sitting here looking at King Grayskull I am in awe. Pictures do not due this figure justice because a very large part of the appeal is simply how the figure feels in your hand. It is very much an improvement over the 80's toys, 200x, and stactions. Very hard to explain but VERY important. I was not expecting it to be such a MAJOR improvement but words cannot really express it. He is my favorite figure out of my entire collection!

Anyway, just my two cents
    Last edited by PaTrIcKfOgArTy; August 10, 2008 at 12:19am.

Heya winknutnog, nice to see your still alive.

To me the appeal is something to finally collect again, it would seem that I won't have to leave the country this time to get so & so in figure form. I hope the same can eventually be said for international fans too. I guess I'm one of those who are looking towards the future of this line & a reasonably priced Scare Glow, plus hopefully new mini comics later on down the way. The coolest thing for me is that variants sound like they won't take over teh lien or my collection. It does seem a bit like starting over but maybe this is our way of getting that finished commemmorative collection...well sorta, (you get the drift hopefully)

You know I'm mainly MOC so the articulation isn't that much of a factor but I'm sure my kids will love it. They might not be able to scour pegs or anything yet but at least it sounds as if they wil be able to know whats going to be available, when, & where. It'll just be up to me to get there on time & for them to behave & deserve it.

As Val said this isn't going to be for some folks, buy what you want or buy what someone else wants so you can make trades for whatever, that or don't buy & hope these bring motu back into the limelight enough to continue teh 200x or whatever.

~lazer

PS think of those pesky rubber bands man, you know that you hate them.
    Awesome sticker not included!™

I appreciate all the ideas and comments. Thanks for telling me why you enjoy the new line. It is interesting to see what various people get out of the same line. Obviously if you have seen my collection I have to buy everything MOTU as well and keep it MOC. Though am not a huge fan of this new line, I am a MOTU junkie and like a lot of us here, am borderline obsessive-compulsive.

Great discussion thanks and keep it coming I'll keep checking this thread every so often to keep informed.

I'm very excited for MotU Classics.

To me, this is He-Man.

I liked the 200x series, but it was too different.
    I'm not someone who needs things to always be different or evolve.

This is what I think of when I imagine MotU. The original character designs will always be my favorite.

I guess the appeal to me is the nostalgia factor. As the Four Horsemen said in the Fwoosh interview, these are "comfort figures."
    SUPERHEMANMIKE

"It tasted good..." - Gwildor

Quote Originally Posted by nutnog View Post
    but man these "new" figures to me look like slightly better reissues with articulation. Is that what that excitement is about?
    If these just look like slightly better reissues to you, you might need to get your glasses checked.

IMO, these are the best He-Man figures to date, bar none. In every catagory. Sculpt, detail, design, articulation, accessories. No goofy actions. I'm not sure what more you could ask for in a He-Man toy.

These are based off the best artwork in MOTU history, not weird anime cartoons, this is MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE as it always should have been. That's why everyone is so bonkers in love with it.

Quote Originally Posted by nutnog View Post
    Obviously if you have seen my collection I have to buy everything MOTU as well and keep it MOC. Though am not a huge fan of this new line...
    ...heh, stop right there because I've had a thought- we haven't even seen a hint of what these suckers will look like MOC! I imagine that, if they are being so very truthful to the actual action figure designs, that the packaging design for these MOTUC is truly going to blow us all away!
    You might have to make room for a whole new MOC collection, and so might I. The spending hurts, but it never ends!

The appeal to me?

I loved the He-Man toys as a kid. Now? I don't like them anymore - actually I kind of hate how they look. I no longer own any and I don't want any, but I still love the characters.

Enter the MOTUC. These are the characters I've always loved, and they look the way they're supposed to! They aren't "tall, more articulated versions of the 80s toys". They're beautiful sculpts with fantastic, heroic proportions. And they're totally poseable - 1000x times more than the 80s toys and about 500x more than the 200x line.

To me they are the essence of MOTU and a perfect balance of what I LOVED as a kid with what I WANT as an adult.

Quote Originally Posted by zodak74 View Post
    ...heh, stop right there because I've had a thought- we haven't even seen a hint of what these suckers will look like MOC! I imagine that, if they are being so very truthful to the actual action figure designs, that the packaging design for these MOTUC is truly going to blow us all away!
    You might have to make room for a whole new MOC collection, and so might I. The spending hurts, but it never ends!
    Ha! Point well taken sir!

When I was a little boy, I used to play with MotU as much as I played with my Transformers back in the early 1980's. One thing that I wished I could do was be able to bend He-Man's elbows and straighten out his legs. As everyone probably knows, that is impossible to do with those toys. Then came along the 200X line. While I collected them for display and not for play, I still wished their elbows and knees could bend, but they didn't. At least their pre-made poses were good though.

Now comes the Classics line, and He-Man can stand up straight and hold his sword over his head. All of them can actually sit down, kick, kneel, and so on. I don't see it as a 1980's rehash. I see it as a dramatic improvement and Mattel finally moving into the 21st Century with figures that have good articulation. You can put them up for display in their default static poses, or you can make them be there your own way. Atleast now you have a choice.

A wise man once said that you can please some people most of the time, and most people some of the time. But you can never please all people all the time. So, I can understand that some may not find this line thrilling while most do.

Heroic Warrior
    I'm with Nutnog.

I don't get it, and I don't like it.

For some people...not myself though...MotU is mostly about the nostalgia. I love MotU in all...at least most...of its forms and can appreciate the various incarnations individually.

Personally, the look of the 200X designs was the ultimate Masters for me, but I still love the 1980's versions of the characters. This new line gives us a high-quality representation of the original characters, and it is for that reason that I will enjoy MotUC.

…I love Classics…
    …but 200X is my Masters of the Universe...
    { My Band | Twitter Me! | MastersCast | Lioncourt's Musings | Ping Me }

Isn't this the same discussion going on @ the Skeletor thread?

I have a question, do the paople that "don't get it" have seen the figures "live"?
    Have you seen KG in hand?
    If not, then, you should.
    I saw all the protos at ComicCon and believe me, the last thing I though is: "these looks just like the old ones"
    But, if you don't like them, probably nothing is going to change that...
    Por el Poder de Grayskull!!!...
    Ya tengo el poder!!

My Feedback thread!!

To me, it's all about nostalgia. MOTUC evokes these nostalgic feelings that the 200x line failed to create. That's why I love the line.
    Awesome sticker included!

Quote Originally Posted by Grayskull's Heir View Post
    To me, it's all about nostalgia. MOTUC evokes these nostalgic feelings that the 200x line failed to create. That's why I love the line.
    Yeah same here, The Nostalgia factor plays a big part. Seeing the classic colors and sculpts = MOTU! To me this is what MOTU is all about! They are keeping it to the original core formula that made MOTU was it was. Keeping and capturing the essence is a major reason why these are so cool. These have the prefect mix of color, sculpt, nostalgia and the overall collector impulse to buy em up! I haven't even seen what these look like in the packages and given that I'm a MOC collector, I'm gonna wet myself!

The 200X line was fun to collect and I loved how they updated the characters, each individually sculpted with crazy details but that page had turned and now I'm focusing my fandom and support to these because they are more my preference when it comes to collecting. I LOVE the vintage approach and I think once they start to sell the org will be clogged with posters loving the line! Can't wait!!!

Evil & Armed For Combat TrapJaw's Avatar
    I was really excited about the Classics line when it was first announced, but after having seen the figures and Mattel's marketing plan, I'm afraid my enthusiasm is gone.

I'm not really digging the sculpts or the paint apps. It's just too retro for me. I like more detail and individuality in a sculpt now that I buy them to gaze upon and admire than I did when I was 7 and didn't care as much about reusing arms, legs, and torso throughout the line. (I know, I know -- with a name like "Masters of the Universe Classics", I should have known they'd be retro. )

If I'd seen them in the stores I might have picked up a couple of them, but due to the facts that they're only available online and cost 20 bones apiece, I'm afraid that the new line doesn't appeal to me at all and I'm going to have do the unimaginable to me--not buy a brand new MotU line.
    "HA! If such as you are the best that this world can muster, then it is already won!" Trap-Jaw, from the Menace of Trap-Jaw!

Quote Originally Posted by KUZEH View Post

I have a question, do the paople that "don't get it" have seen the figures "live"?
    Have you seen KG in hand?
    If not, then, you should.

Yes, the bronze King Grayskull...

Quote Originally Posted by Grayskull's Heir View Post
    I hear you but do you not have any of the original figures or at least the reissues which are more "true" nostalgia? I totally hear what you are saying about having that sense of nostalgia but when I feel that way I look at my original figures, the ones I used to play with as a child. As stated earlier, this line is marketed to nostalgic fans who now have money to spend on figures but a great majority of this same demographic have KEPT their old figures and do not need to purchase nostalgia from Mattel.

I guess to each his or her own...
    Last edited by nutnog; August 9, 2008 at 04:42pm.