Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Answers to WTFWTK 2.2!

Answers to WTFWTK 2.2!

Toy Guru has once again answered the questions of He-Fans and She-Ravers on He-Man.org faster than a Roadripper!
    Check out his answers to your Round 2 questions!

1. Since the MOTUC line is not supposed to have action-features, what will be done for characters whose name was derived from their action-feature? (eg: Extendar who's limbs extended, Stinkor who smelled stinky, Blast Attack who blasted apart into pieces, etc)
    It is unlikely we will add “stink” to Stinkor, but we will try to replicate some action features like giving Meckaneck extra snap on neck and head pieces to simulate his vintage action feature.

2. For any figures that might be in the MOTUC line that were missing from the 2002 line, is it possible they will be sculpted/designed in the 2002 style to help fans get figures never released for that line? Or is the style seen on King Grayskull the look of the entire MOTUC line?
    At this time, all of the MOTU Classics figures will be in the same style. In the future we may go back and do figures in the 2002 line style, but right now we are interested in creating a brand new cohesive line look for all characters in the Classics line. This look will be revealed at SDCC, but you can get a good idea by checking out the first figure in the line – King Grayskull!

3. Do you know if Princess of Power figures in the MOTUC line will have sculpted or rooted hair?
    All the figures in the MOTU Classics line will have sculpted hair.

4. Is it possible to work out a deal with Entertainment Rights to allow for figures of Filmation characters that fans have wanted for decades? (eg: Adora, Shadow Weaver, etc)
    At this time, Filmation only characters are not available for the new MOTU Classics line. Adora however did appear in Mattel’s vintage mini comics so she is available for the new line, Shadow Weaver however is not. The main influence for the new line will be the look of the original toys. For characters like Adora, who did appear in the original mini comics before appearing in the cartoon but did not have their own toy the way Prince Adam did, would likely get an original uniform designed by Mattel and the Horsemen. (Don't worry, if and when we get to Adora we will do her right. This is a collector line after all).

5. Are sculpted environments a possible addition to be included with figures? (like with Robocop or Lost figures)
    One of the many advantages of offering MOTUC through our new online store is that we can change things up more frequently. If there is enough demand from collectors we will absolutely look into doing something like this.

6. Much like the King Grayskull figure exclusive, will Mattel offer the Volume 3 DVD exclusive outside of San Diego con, or do we need to make plans to obtain one via another means?
    Unlike the King Grayskull figure, the DVD will not be offered online. It is likely we will sell out at the show and we do not have extra stock for sale post SDCC on the new fan website. However, it is possible that BCI may put this version out at a later time on there own. That will be up to BCI. Maybe BCIguy will have a comment after the con depending on sales.
    ***JVS3 edit: In the meantime, Toy Guru & BCI have arranged for me to purchase a limited quantity in SDCC for those who cannot attend. I will buy a quantity based on the He-Man.org sales for the Best Buy Volume 1 slipcase exclusive, and will offer them on a first-come-first-serve basis when I return from SDCC. Please wait until I post a thread offering them. Please do not send me any PM or e-mail requests. Thanks!

7. Will accessories match the original classic colors, or will they be changed to be more realistic? (like Prince Adam's magenta sword, Faker's orange sword, etc)
    The colors will match the vintage release, the sculpting and detail work will be all new.

8. Are any of the 1980s concepts that never got released possible in the MOTUC line? (like Hand-Some, Big-Foot, Dragon-Lord, etc. Also others seen in Tomarts magazine years ago)
    These are possibilities down the road, but we have a lot of other exciting characters we would like to get to first.

9. Any chance of a large scale line? (10", 12", etc)
    Not immediately, but because this line is being distributed exclusively through our new fan website, there is definitely the possibility of adding other scales in the future.

10. Is there any chance for web'toons or web'isodes to create some sort of entertainment for the MOTUC line while furthering the mythos?
    Not in the immediate future, but anything is possible!

--------------------

Click here to ask questions in Round 4!
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 1.
    And have fun discussing Toy Guru's answers to your Round 2 questions!

Sounds cool, lets hope we get a great line!

(Re Q10) Well we got our first anything is possible answer!!!!!!!!!!!!! (Not to sure about this whole if and when business re Adora!) I was expecting to wate for the first year or so. But after the whole slide show at NYCC, if she does not have a secured place on the character selection list: I will not be a happy camper!
    Last edited by Angel-T; July 16, 2008 at 08:30pm.
    PRO CLASSIC POP TOY DESIGN ELEMENTS BEING USED IN MOTUC TO COMPLEMENT THE FILMATION DESIGNS!!!!

I FULLY SUPPORT THE INCLUSION OF ILLUMINA IN MOTUC!!!!!

IF YOUR SICK OF WAITING FOR A LIGHT TO APPEAR AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL, STRIDE DOWN THERE AND LIGHT THE BLOODY THING YOURSELF!!!!!!!

That's too bad about Stinkor, but I can live with that. I can always marinate him in some of that same smelling perfume for a few days.

Drewsky...
    Quote Originally Posted by King Grayskull
    By my name shall my decendents have the honor and power to combat evil.
    -----
    There's a third sword of Grayskull...I know it!
    -----
    http://eternia.4t.com
    UNDER RENOVATIONS! Try the first & only Classic line Create-A-Figure!
    -----
    WANTED: MOC MOTUC Whiplash, MOC MOTUC Roboto

hashbrown MotU VS. DC Andy Adams's Avatar
    that sorta sucks for stinkor....scareglow too for that matter. Now they'll just be "used to stink guy" & "used to glow scary dude"

...but on the positive side, anything is still possible in the future & i still can't wait until they get figurized. Maybe we customizers will just have to take it that step further.
    Dolph He-man, Langella Skeletor, Exclusive God Skeletor, Karg, Lubic, Shock Troopers.

Join the movement, Movie figures sub for two thousand x-teen.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    4. Is it possible to work out a deal with Entertainment Rights to allow for figures of Filmation characters that fans have wanted for decades? (eg: Adora, Shadow Weaver, etc)
    At this time, Filmation only characters are not available for the new MOTU Classics line. Adora however did appear in Mattel’s vintage mini comics so she is available for the new line, Shadow Weaver however is not. The main influence for the new line will be the look of the original toys. For characters like Adora, who did appear in the original mini comics before appearing in the cartoon but did not have their own toy the way Prince Adam did, would likely get an original uniform designed by Mattel and the Horsemen. (Don't worry, if and when we get to Adora we will do her right. This is a collector line after all).
    Dows this mean that Mattel can't use the exact Filmation look of a character that never had an action figure? Or does this just mean that the 4 Horsemen have a lttle more leeway since they don't have a vintage action figure to base their designs on?

Does anyone have a picture of Adora from the mini comics they mentioned?

I thought it has been made pretty clear they can't do Filmation characters if they weren't a toy or in the mini-comics.
    That means, no Filmation Adora.
    Just something based off her mini-comic appearance.

I'm glad for more answers. Pretty much all of them were good, too. I'm glad Stinkor won't stink and that they're not worrying about Hand-Some (who?! what?!). I think a few of these answers could have been deduced on their own, especially the one about the Filmation characters, though I guess I sort of understand why people just can't let go of the fact Shadow Weever won't get a figure (she has boobs).

1. Since the MOTUC line is not supposed to have action-features, what will be done for characters whose name was derived from their action-feature? (eg: Extendar who's limbs extended, Stinkor who smelled stinky, Blast Attack who blasted apart into pieces, etc)
    It is unlikely we will add “stink” to Stinkor, but we will try to replicate some action features like giving Meckaneck extra snap on neck and head pieces to simulate his vintage action feature.
    Okay, so gears 'n' mechanical action features = snap on parts & smelly things are a no go. Gotcha.

7. Will accessories match the original classic colors, or will they be changed to be more realistic? (like Prince Adam's magenta sword, Faker's orange sword, etc)
    The colors will match the vintage release, the sculpting and detail work will be all new.
    SWEEEEET. Wow, this really IS gonna be a retro toyline. I can't wait to see the packaging on these bad boys, I bet it'll be almost just like the originals.

9. Any chance of a large scale line? (10", 12", etc)
    Not immediately, but because this line is being distributed exclusively through our new fan website, there is definitely the possibility of adding other scales in the future.
    Alright, so no Tytus or Megator right off the bat...but does Sagitar fall into that category?? I totally want to see a new Sagitar in this line, I just always thought he was cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Kent Parker View Post
    that sorta sucks for stinkor....scareglow too for that matter. Now they'll just be "used to stink guy" & "used to glow scary dude"
    Hrmm...that'd really stink (no pun intended), but let's take a look at what he said exactly & see what we can decipher:

I think making a toy "stink" might a bit more involved then making a toy glow in the dark. They'd just have to cast his arm, leg, torso & head pieces with glow-in-the-dark resin, but to make a toy stink, they might have to use some other type of resin or ad another ingredient to give it a smell. Plus maybe they think collectors will be turned off by a toy that smells badly.

Now, out of ALL the action-features a toy can have, glowing in the dark has got to be on the top of the "Really Easy to Pull off" list. There are other ones that are more involved, like having internal gears to extend & retract Mekanek's neck. That would totally disrupt the articulation of a figure & would have to be re-created with snap-on parts. Look at how Extendar's extending worked in the old toyline. Having a toy with the MotU Classics style articulation wouldn't work; were would the extended parts of the legs go? Those things are harder to incorporate into these new figures, the old 200X line used less articulation & thus had more room for gimmicks.

So, any toy that had a mechanical action feature (i.e. Mechanek's neck, Roboto's jaw, Tung Lashor's tongue, Rattlor's head-strike attack, Blast-Attak's exploding, water squirting action, etc.) odds are will have some sort of snap-on parts to replicate it. If it's not as complicated (i.e. flocked parts, glowing in the dark, removable armor, flip-out weapons), those may probably remain. Look at Rio Blast; I can see his weapons totally being snap-on pieces, as they were basically that way back in the old line.

I totally can not see them having a problem making a glow-in-the-dark Scare Glow, and if they do I really don't know why they would (aside from it costing too much). But for a character who's entire shtick is glowing, they (I think) could go the extra mile & have him glow.

...but on the positive side, anything is still possible in the future & i still can't wait until they get figurized. Maybe we customizers will just have to take it that step further.
    Yeah, totally. If we're really getting a lot of different MotU characters in this line, I'm totally ready to get on this ride.

~Co-Lec-Tor
    "Heroic Master of Collecting!"

I think the words to remember re Shadow Weaver would be at this time! I have no evdience to support this, but I reckon if the first 12 figures sell well, something will be worked out for Filmation only characters. Maybe this is why we will not see POP characters until later on in the line. The POP characters most iconic representations are arguably the Filmation version.

If Mattel decide to continue with MOTUC after the second wave (or 12th figure), they may then try to arange a deal with E.R for Shadow Weaver etc. Also to access the immage rights for the Filmation POP designs for toys they can already produce. By the time Mattel may want to consider making Adora / She-Ra, Catra and some of the POP girls, the Filmation influance may be able to be included. The figures Mattel can produce in the first year are already the most iconic versions of these characters. They have no reasion to arange such a deal now. In effect Mattel can just sit back and see if MOTUC is successful enlough to warrent them making such a deal with ER. Time will tell I suppose.
    Last edited by Angel-T; July 17, 2008 at 07:57am.
    PRO CLASSIC POP TOY DESIGN ELEMENTS BEING USED IN MOTUC TO COMPLEMENT THE FILMATION DESIGNS!!!!

I FULLY SUPPORT THE INCLUSION OF ILLUMINA IN MOTUC!!!!!

IF YOUR SICK OF WAITING FOR A LIGHT TO APPEAR AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL, STRIDE DOWN THERE AND LIGHT THE BLOODY THING YOURSELF!!!!!!!

3. Do you know if Princess of Power figures in the MOTUC line will have sculpted or rooted hair?
    This is certainly good to know!

The New Adventures of Ion HeManOfGreyskull's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Angel-T View Post
    I think the words to remember re Shadow Weaver would be at this time! I have no evdience to support this, but I reckon if the first 12 figures sell well, something will be worked out for Filmation only characters. Maybe this is why we will not see POP characters until later on in the line. The POP characters most iconic representations are arguably the Filmation version.
    At this time could also mean "we can't do filmation style characters til hell freezes over and we get our entertainment rights back."

And actually, I'm now interested to see this redesign on Adora
    Rob
    Captain Picard:So...five card stud, nothing wild...and the sky's the limit.

No Action Features? Ugh.

I'm quite disappointed that the "action" figures in the Classics line won't actually have the intended "action" features that should accompany them. To me, that's the whole point of an ACTION figure, for both collectibles and play toys. I have to admit that my enthusiasm over the new Classics line has waned quite a bit after hearing this news. In my opinion, these will only be slightly better than the previous stactions, which I was not a big fan of. I want true-to-the-meaning "action" figures - just like the originals. I want mechanical necks, and odors and spraying water - the real deal. Oh well... *sigh* :-(

Quote Originally Posted by Drewsky View Post
    That's too bad about Stinkor, but I can live with that. I can always marinate him in some of that same smelling perfume for a few days.

Drewsky...
    Patchuli oil and Glow in the dark paint BUT I do agree with the statements made that Scareglow should simply be cast in glow in the dark plastic easy enough. Extendar will be horrible IMHO for the new line which means it will be a LONG TIME before we ever see him again(hopefully). On a side note, a LOT of figures had VERY accesible or easy "Action" features like a spring loaded arm or say webstor, with a back pack that housed his gimmick, NOT the actual figure itself.

Other figures like clawful, trapjaw, triclops, shouldn't be a problem to pull off with alot of articualion even something like Syclone should be achievable (it's a spinwheel and a gear I believe) if it can't bend at the waist I'll be ok with that But again, from what they are saying something like that is HIGHLY unlikely.

Still execited to see what the future holds for MOTU Any word out yet on ordering a KING GREYSKULL through the org? I'd like one BUT I dont want to have to sell stuff to afford one (cause then I'd go without)
    SMANOMEGA'S "NEWER" CUSTOM GALLERY BELOW
    http://s16.photobucket.com/user/sman...?sort=3&page=1

Heroic Photog Supporter musclor's Avatar
    The only answer that left a sour taste in my mouth was the original colors for the accessories, but there's always paint, I guess. (And I realize that many want the originally colored accessories, so I'm not saying that Mattel is off-base with this -- just that I would prefer a more 2002 line look to the weapons.)

Otherwise, I'm happy. Sculpted hair for the POP girls when they show up is a definite thumbs up to me. Rooted hair just never looks quite right in this scale to me.

I'm definitely looking forward to the official unveiling so we can have a more definite idea of where the line is headed, but this group of questions makes me feel a bit more positive than I've been feeling lately.

Movie mayhem!
    2. For any figures that might be in the MOTUC line that were missing from the 2002 line, is it possible they will be sculpted/designed in the 2002 style to help fans get figures never released for that line? Or is the style seen on King Grayskull the look of the entire MOTUC line?
    At this time, all of the MOTU Classics figures will be in the same style. In the future we may go back and do figures in the 2002 line style, but right now we are interested in creating a brand new cohesive line look for all characters in the Classics line. This look will be revealed at SDCC, but you can get a good idea by checking out the first figure in the line – King Grayskull!
    Yay! its at least a possibility!! :-)

Looks like Mattel will be the sole distributer of the line. I figured some online stores such as Casefresh in Australia may have had the distribution rights for the South Pacific. This will be interesting to see how this turns out.

On another note I like the idea of one figure per month from a cost point of view.

You know, as big of a fan as I am of the rooted hair, I have to admit that I'm wildly curious and very excited to see these done with the sculpted hair. Glad they're trying something different. Maybe the gals will finally get some respect too from the portion of the MOTU fan base that speak out against the orignal toy line.

The main influence for the new line will be the look of the original toys. For characters like Adora, who did appear in the original mini comics before appearing in the cartoon but did not have their own toy the way Prince Adam did, would likely get an original uniform designed by Mattel and the Horsemen. (Don't worry, if and when we get to Adora we will do her right. This is a collector line after all). [/B]
    This part is somewhat disappointing, but I think I can live with it. They would almost *have* to give Adora an all-new uniform, 'cause there wasn't really any difference between her and She-Ra in the mini-comics.

Heroic Master of Music baileyrecords's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Donimo View Post
    I'm quite disappointed that the "action" figures in the Classics line won't actually have the intended "action" features that should accompany them. To me, that's the whole point of an ACTION figure, for both collectibles and play toys. I have to admit that my enthusiasm over the new Classics line has waned quite a bit after hearing this news. In my opinion, these will only be slightly better than the previous stactions, which I was not a big fan of. I want true-to-the-meaning "action" figures - just like the originals. I want mechanical necks, and odors and spraying water - the real deal. Oh well... *sigh* :-(
    I'm kinda in this same boat. As a collector, I will open these toys up, pose them, and put them in a shelf. Not in a diorama or anything but maybe in release order or faction-based, etc. For the 200X line, Mek is standing with his neck extended because that is what he's known for - hence the name. I would be 10 to 1 that most collectors will do something similar as I do... shelving figures to look at. I've never understood how articulation for "collectible statues" is such a biggie other than to make cooler poses to stand figures on the shelf in... and I would think anyone posing Mek and putting him on a shelf would want his neck extended... so now with the Classics line you'll likely have an extra head to store someplace rather than a simple twist at the waste.

Hope this is coherent... just got done exercising and no coffee yet!
    I am Stratos, Heroic Master of Music! and proud member of the Ohio Masters

Please check out my Kaiju Kaos: Smackdown Kickstarter going on now until Feb 12th. Thanks!

can't wait for the "first-come-first-served" offer for the exclusive slipcase

I just hope they get enough sales from the online store.
    I can't help but feel that more casual fans may not bother or even be made aware of this new line.
    Selected art prints now available:
    www.eamonart.com

Quote Originally Posted by Eamon View Post
    I just hope they get enough sales from the online store.
    I can't help but feel that more casual fans may not bother or even be made aware of this new line.
    No kidding. I'll be heartbroken if this line flops. I wish we had an idea of how many figures need to sell to = success.

Heroic Warrior
    I wonder about loopholes with the Filmation characters, such as if a somewhat redesigned Strongarm released as "Battle Armor" Jitsu, or a "Shadow Weaver-esque" figure named Horde Disguise Evil-Lyn (or Teela).

When Hasbro had (temporarily) lost the name to their "Baroness" character in the GI Joe line (I started collecting G.I. Joe after the original MOTU line died, to help ease the pain of losing MOTU.), they released her "twin sister" figure under a different codename ("Chameleon"). I know the situation, legally, was different, but makes me wonder about possibilities for MOTU Classics.
    ne jabba no badda!

I didn't see, but did they say at all if, or how they would be advertising the site and figures? Is this all just going to be word of mouth from this site?

Door with dental plan. Jawbridge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    No kidding. I'll be heartbroken if this line flops. I wish we had an idea of how many figures need to sell to = success.
    Werd. This line's success might require a lot of fans to get over what little qualms they have, and enjoy the line for what it is... a NEW MOTU LINE! It's either take what they are gracious enough to make for us fans, or get nothing at all. I would really like to get as many figures as possible from this line, so if a figure looks good, but doesn't have a smell, I'll buy it. If a figure looks good, but doesn't squirt water, climb walls, have spring loaded limbs or whatever, I'll still buy it. As a matter of fact, I'll buy a minimum of three every time, but will try to purchase as may as possible to keep sales up. I'm sure I'll find something to do with them, or some people at work to appreciate them, or something.

I think if everybody keeps an open mind, and puts small discrepancies aside, the line will do well enough (it's not making Mattel rich by no means) to get some nice figures out. But as soon as we disregard the series because it doesn't sit on the self beside something else, or match a card type, the line will truly suffer and not reach it's true potential.

cheers guys, keep the hopes alive!