Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Answers to WTFWTK 2.2!

Quote Originally Posted by smanomega View Post
    Still execited to see what the future holds for MOTU Any word out yet on ordering a KING GREYSKULL through the org? I'd like one BUT I dont want to have to sell stuff to afford one (cause then I'd go without)
    It was stated earlier that King Grayskull will be sold on the online collector site on July 28th within North America. Selling something overseas with the circuitry inside the box was a problem they said. And last I checked, North America includes Canada.

Drewsky...
    Quote Originally Posted by King Grayskull
    By my name shall my decendents have the honor and power to combat evil.
    -----
    There's a third sword of Grayskull...I know it!
    -----
    http://eternia.4t.com
    UNDER RENOVATIONS! Try the first & only Classic line Create-A-Figure!
    -----
    WANTED: MOC MOTUC Whiplash, MOC MOTUC Roboto

Quote Originally Posted by Binx4life View Post
    I didn't see, but did they say at all if, or how they would be advertising the site and figures? Is this all just going to be word of mouth from this site?

Granted, nearly everyone who visits this site is interested in He-Man, while only a small percentage of the people who visit a general-coverage toy site seek out He-Man.
    So greater awareness will come out of this site (and other MOTU/POP sites) for the people interested in purchasing MOTUC figures.

But still, we only make up a portion of the market interested in this figure.
    There will be people who rarely visit this site, or don't visit it at all, who will be buying these figures.

This is a collector's line, intended for a niche market. It's not a full blown, mass market toy line, and folks really should stop treating it like it should be or will be (despite their best intentions).

DC Direct and similar lines aren't blanketing the world with ads for the line, and they do fine.
    Therefore, a company should advertise where they find interest for such a niche line.
    So I'm sure Mattel will tap into similar places where they are bound to find buyers for MOTUC... comics, toy magazines, etc.

The boys toy market is not like it was in the 80s.
    It's heavily collector driven, and you'll be hard pressed to find many collector's who aren't tapped into an online toy news resource of some sort.
    The casual inpulse buyer isn't the target here.

Plus we're in an economy in the US where there's a lot of belt tightening. Throwing around a lot of money on advertising to try and reach Joe Six Pack isn't a wise move.
    Mattel's probably going to play this one close to the chest, and rightfully so.

This line is called a collector's line for a reason.

Heroic Master of Music baileyrecords's Avatar
    Very happy about sculpted hair!

I am Stratos, Heroic Master of Music! and proud member of the Ohio Masters

Please check out my Kaiju Kaos: Smackdown Kickstarter going on now until Feb 12th. Thanks!

Shera's secret heartthrob oulala's Avatar
    Okay what about She-ra? Is she or is she not a possibility? I mean, she had a toy in the 1980's. It worries me that they only talk about Adora (and that they showed a photo of Adora at the New York convention when they first launched the news of a new toyline).

Angel T's profile pic is a drawing of the revamped she-ra they had in line for the next season of the 200X MOTU cartoon that never got made. Meaning, they MUST have secured the rights for her, also they made her as an exclusive blah...

I mean, could they do a MOTUC without a She-ra? Adora is sweet but I want a kick ass, sculpted haired multi jointed She-Ra! They'd better make her soon enough, not in some ten year, SDCC exclusive kinda way. January 2009 would be perfect Even earlier. December 2008?

Quote Originally Posted by Angel-T View Post
    I think the words to remember re Shadow Weaver would be at this time! I have no evdience to support this, but I reckon if the first 12 figures sell well, something will be worked out for Filmation only characters. Maybe this is why we will not see POP characters until later on in the line. The POP characters most iconic representations are arguably the Filmation version.

If Mattel decide to continue with MOTUC after the second wave (or 12th figure), they may then try to arange a deal with E.R for Shadow Weaver etc. Also to access the immage rights for the Filmation POP designs for toys they can already produce. By the time Mattel may want to consider making Adora / She-Ra, Catra and some of the POP girls, the Filmation influance may be able to be included. The figures Mattel can produce in the first year are already the most iconic versions of these characters. They have no reasion to arange such a deal now. In effect Mattel can just sit back and see if MOTUC is successful enlough to warrent them making such a deal with ER. Time will tell I suppose.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emiliano View Post
    The harsh reality is that the Horde were originally intended for POP, and they have always been intended for POP. Filmation developed the characters for the POP cartoon. It's a fact.

Quote Originally Posted by oulala View Post
    Okay what about She-ra? Is she or is she not a possibility?
    She-Ra should definitely be possible, but I can see Mattel using the design of the 80s figure [or something close to it] instead of what Filmation came up with.

http://he-man.org/primary_sects/toys...s/she-ra.shtml

Maybe they would go ahead with the 200x Exclusive figure's design?

Heroic Master of Music baileyrecords's Avatar

[shudder] no offense but seeing this "****** Barbie" totally brings me back to why I wouldn't touch her or her PoP friends back in the day. Then again, I thought Teela's original figure was an ugly beatstick of a character.

On the bright side, I really like the 200x design for both (and Lyn).
    I am Stratos, Heroic Master of Music! and proud member of the Ohio Masters

Please check out my Kaiju Kaos: Smackdown Kickstarter going on now until Feb 12th. Thanks!

Okay folks.. seriously... why would anyone worry about She-Ra not being a possibility?

Mattel has already said that all characters that had toys are possible candidates for the MOTUC line.

Adora was brought up in the Q&A, and shown at the con because she never had a toy.
    It's called hype... it's to get you excited about toy possibilities that we never had before, in addition to everything else that's a given as a toy possibility.

...I need a drink.
    oulala, you're buying!

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Reilly View Post
    Maybe they would go ahead with the 200x Exclusive figure's design?
    See I'm not sure about that, because I thought 200x was a one-time thing that Mattel had to get special permission for. To me, it seems as if Mattel wants to go back to the original thing and stay far away from Filmation designs.

Believe me, I'd rather the design be closer to Filmation, but it shouldn't be too bad if they shy away from that. The mini-comic She-Ra has a way better looking headdress than the clunkly looking one on the figure. Plus, the prototype that recently surfaced had a headdress that was just a bit closer in design to what Filmation had, so maybe a redesign doesn't have to be extremlely drastic.

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p...s/P1160026.jpg

I can definitely see them doing the skirt all flowly like the figure though. hehe

Quote Originally Posted by baileyrecords View Post
    and I would think anyone posing Mek and putting him on a shelf would want his neck extended... so now with the Classics line you'll likely have an extra head to store someplace rather than a simple twist at the waste.
    This is a HUGE plus to me. An interchangeable head means a potentially much longer neck than what can fit in a torso. Heck, they could even make the neck flexible and then you could really create cool poses.

*sighs*

No Filmation-only characters.

No Shokoti.

*sniffles*
    "You can not fight the darkness He-man!"-Shokoti-the Queen of Darkness

Arizona Mazter of the Universe

Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post

7. Will accessories match the original classic colors, or will they be changed to be more realistic? (like Prince Adam's magenta sword, Faker's orange sword, etc)
    The colors will match the vintage release, the sculpting and detail work will be all new.
    Mmmm.... This doesn't excite me much. I like that King Greyskull's sword is actually two colors... dark grey handle and silver blade. I would rather have Skeletor and Faker have swords that had handles with colors similar to the original swords, but with blades that are metalic.

Skeletor: Purple handle / silver blade
    Faker: Orange handle / gold blade
    Adam: Grey handle / silver blade (...same sword as He-Man!)

Sweet! More answers to the secretssss of the new line!....Secretsss! (Conan O'Brian anyone?)

First, I'm just blown away but how great this is going to be. It's what I've always hoped for. It's a blessing to fans.

However, I must say I REALLY hope they can find a way to make characters from the cartoon that were in toy form and comic form into a filmation designed figure. Adora is a filmation design. If it can be done I hope they can.

And Catra is a great design that I hope gets it's Filmation look. But, it does seem that may not work out. I'll still be happy to get her if she's like the original mattel design, though....wait, no I won't.

That's enough complaining on my end.

But all in all it's like an awesome Chinese dinner...I'm just wondering why the Catra egg rolls might look funny.

ps - I think it's those images of filmation designs that Mattel used for it's presentation when hinting at possible characters for the new line that really made it so exciting for me. I hope they can keep that.
    Last edited by SKELEPIMP; July 17, 2008 at 02:53pm.

THE DEMON KEY - Skelepimp Mini-Comic

Skelepimp Commissions are only a PM away....

Quote Originally Posted by BCI Guy View Post
    This is a HUGE plus to me. An interchangeable head means a potentially much longer neck than what can fit in a torso. Heck, they could even make the neck flexible and then you could really create cool poses.
    Thats exactly what I was thinking having a neck thats nearly twice as tall as the actualy figure rather than 2 inches out of its body WOW
    SMANOMEGA'S "NEWER" CUSTOM GALLERY BELOW
    http://s16.photobucket.com/user/sman...?sort=3&page=1

Exactly!!! I'm totally with you on that idea!
    We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. -George Bernard Shaw
    Nate Baertsch Illustration Blog

Heroic Warrior Orko's Magic Hat's Avatar
    I like some of what I'm hearing. but the one thing which does concern me is that the figures will be totally like their vintage versions. I was hoping that some variation would have been made, same goes for colouring.

Obviously I should wait and see what they do look like, but still its not what I had in mind.

Also I'm glad that Toyguru and Val have confirmed that it was always the plan for the line to be online.

Here's what I picture them doing with She-Ra. Except she'll probably have a sculpted skirt. (I hope it's removable though)

http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...za_fontana.htm

Since the 2004 figure is heavily influenced by the Filmation design, I think that's why they needed ER's permission and they're probably going to want to stay away from that. I could be wrong, but that's what I'm getting out of these answers.

"If and when we get to Adora..."

great...

I have a feeling we won't be getting any POP or NA figures... I will be buying whatever they make, but we JUST got through collecting all the character they will probably release first.

this is almost like the Commemoratives all over again, assortment-wise.

Look, I know they said we would get MYP characters, and character never done before, but come on...

I guess, unless you're a POP fan, you can't understand how bad that comment really sounds.

"If" ???? Come on!
    A Want List of Sorts: Peekablue, Saurod, Veena, Calix, Evilseed, 200X Head Pack, Mara, Point Dread & The Talon Fighter... and all the other POP & NA characters.

With the other bonus being Mekanek wont have to turn to the side every time he wants to stretch his neck!
    Tweet Me!

I've just changed my profile picture because we got Geldor in MOTUC!

It's a new MotU line folks!
    I'm sure we're gonna get He-Man and Skeletor early on. Along with other core MOTU characters. PoP, NA and fan favs are very obscure and wont sell like the core characters will. And early on, I'd say we need many of the core characters to get this plane off the runway.
    We've been told already that by the end of a year out of these 12 figs planned, (one a month) there will be some of the figs we're screaming for such as never released characters, PoP and the like.

You could almost say one year, might be like one BIG wave stretched over time, thus we'll be getting our core characters that are requisite in any MotU line, PLUS cool fan-requested characters that we're all screaming for.

Look I know you want Adora, I know the PoP fans are SCREAMING for their characters, and that's totally understandable... I want them too! But I think you must realize that PoP will not be the driving force behind this line.
    Masters of the Universe Classics is the name and the game of this line, that means by in large, core MotU characters will be the driving force of this line, that should be coupled with what we the FANS want too. But you must recognize the "Classics" are... All those figs we have numerous figs of already, the 8-backs, Evil Lyn, Sorceress, Triklops and Trap Jaw. And honestly? I'm READY for them ALL!

In the end though, I've a feeling that as soon as we see the 4HM's work... We'll want the characters regardless who they are!
    We'll want He-Man, Skeletor, Teela and Merman all over again in this new magnificent format that is the CLASSICS line!

And though I may be picking on PoP fans... Please know I consider She-Ra as a core MotU character and hope she does get released in that first year's batch o' 12.
    We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. -George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by bcrduke View Post
    great...

I have a feeling we won't be getting any POP or NA figures... I will be buying whatever they make, but we JUST got through collecting all the character they will probably release first.

this is almost like the Commemoratives all over again, assortment-wise.
    I know. I'm trying to be optimistic here but, even if the first figures are successful, I feel like we might just keep getting MOTU stuff for A LONG time. That would be very annoying to me, especially since King Grayskull is getting a figure and probably He-Ro. Plus, this whole thing is being plugged as an all-encompassing collector's line, so there should no longer be any of this 'PoP is contingent on how MOTU does' talk.

Soft.Delicious.Nutritious Matt79's Avatar
    @Baena Very well said!

I absolutely like the news. I'm so happy that the new line will stick close to the vintage toys and that there won't be be a mix up with the 200X toyline. I so hoped for a kind of new/improved "Commemorative Series" from the beginning and that's fortunately what we'll get. And we'll also get vintage colors! That's great! I can't wait to see Prince Adam. Ok, I'm a little bit sorry for those who expected a 200X style Adam... No, wait... That was a lie.

All over California and coming to your neighborhood soon, so be afraid!
    bring on the toys i dont care who comes out 1st as long as we get them soon .

Quote Originally Posted by Baena View Post
    And early on, I'd say we need many of the core characters to get this plane off the runway.
    I agree with you, and like brcduke I will buy whatever they put out, but it just feels like He-Ro has a better chance of coming out early on than Adora and he's pretty obscure.

Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    I agree with you, and like brcduke I will buy whatever they put out, but it just feels like He-Ro has a better chance of coming out early on than Adora and he's pretty obscure.
    And here we enter into the "________" should come out before "_________" arguments.
    We all win and we all loose with that argument, it's all speculation anyway.

There are so many characters. And so many fans, that all have very diverse interests in MotU.

What we all need, is to make sure we support, as best as we can, all the characters that come out. So we can get the Green Goddess, and He-Ro, and Adora, and a legally fudged Shadow Weaver.

This is precisely why I strongly feel Mattel should team up with he-man.org and run official polls on who the Fans want made, especially when it comes to the more obscure characters.