Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Answers to WTFWTK 2.2!

Quote Originally Posted by Baena View Post
    And here we enter into the "________" should come out before "_________" arguments.
    We all win and we all loose with that argument, it's all speculation anyway.
    Well, just sayin'. If we need the most recognized characters to get the plane off the ground, then Adora is a lot more established than He-Ro, right?

I'll support whatever they put out.

Heroic Master of Music baileyrecords's Avatar
    And here we enter into the "________" should come out before "_________" arguments.
    Stratos should come out before Hawk but Hawk should definitely be released!
    I am Stratos, Heroic Master of Music! and proud member of the Ohio Masters

Please check out my Kaiju Kaos: Smackdown Kickstarter going on now until Feb 12th. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    Well, just sayin'. If we need the most recognized characters to get the plane off the ground, then Adora is a lot more established than He-Ro, right?

I'll support whatever they put out.
    Haha! Fair enough! But if they're giving us 10 recognized characters a year with 2 obscure ones... Then I wouldn't worry about not getting Adora.
    She's NOT an obscure character, He-Ro is.
    So with that said, we're likely to get obscure characters like He-Ro and King Grayskull right along side the big guns.
    By that then, we really can't fuss that obscure character is "taking the place" of a more widely known character.
    Because the line will be an intended mix of known vs. lesser known characters all along. Even here at the beginning with King Grayskull.
    She may not happen in the first year, but I'd probably bet on her being there in the next year.
    We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. -George Bernard Shaw
    Nate Baertsch Illustration Blog

That was a very good read with a lot of insight.... THANKS!!
    Check out my MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE ART & More at my ART BLOG!!!

JafariStew's ART BLOG!! UPDATED 8.31.14!!

MOTUC RECORD

NEW! MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE ORIGIN ART CARDS PART 4!!

"Revenge is like JAFARI STEW, it tastes best served cold..." ~SKELETOR (the Beginning part 2)

Shera's secret heartthrob oulala's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    ...I need a drink.
    oulala, you're buying!
    Okay I'm buying you champagne... On a total Off topic JVS3, my ferret is sick and each time I see the pic next to your posts it pinches my heart

Well it's GOOD to hear that She-ra WILL indeed be made one way or another. I hope they can give us a REAL, Filmation one since she had a toy in the 1980's.

I don't want to be in the ________ before _________ argument, however, it's easy for the 4Horsemen to make good POP characters as opposed to NA because it's basically the same filmation style. The women are really similar and all have the same kind of stature.
    NA is so different in terms of style, it would be very difficult to pass these characters as part of a MOTUC line (they're futuristic)

Unlike some people who commented on how the line would focus on MOTU first, I think they should try a couple of figures that have real potential. For instance, I don't know if everyone would jump in joy if they released Flutterina. However, Glimmer, Frosta or Strongbow, reimagined by the 4 Horsemen, would totally kick ass...
    Quote Originally Posted by Emiliano View Post
    The harsh reality is that the Horde were originally intended for POP, and they have always been intended for POP. Filmation developed the characters for the POP cartoon. It's a fact.

I feel if this line does well enough , there is always the possability that Mattel may increase the offerings. The best thing with this line being offered directly from the company is it eliminates the middle man and Mattel makes more of a profit per figure. Therefore since Mattel will make more money per figure, the numbers to earn a good profit is much greater then if they had to try and get stores to sell them.

Wait and see, I think we are all going to be in for a real treat. So I can't wait for SDCC.
    www.TheComixverse.com
    The Comixverse | comic reviews/previews/editorials & discussion.
    Follow me on Instagram www.instagram.com/jcmilone

We're all on the same page...

I think what really bugs some of us, was the misunderstanding (ahem, yeah right), that this line was supposed to be on "Toy shelves" -- now Mattel is saying they meant collectors' toy shelves (Sorry, don't buy that one 100%... I don't trust much of what Mattel says lol... do any of us, really?? deep down? I still think they were hoping to have it sold at retail, and the stores were like, "uhm, no... and in the mean time, get your sorry-butt distribution of the DC toys in gear.. NOW)...

I thought, and I think a lot of us thought, that this line's waves would maybe resemble the DCUC assortments: 2 a-list figures, 2 b-list figures, and 1-extremely obscure collector-friendly choice...

I mean, we had no reason to assume that was going to happen, other than they were naming it MOTU Classics, and the other line they produce like that is called DC Universe Classics... so... it's a logical assumption that, had the line gone retail, they would have followed the same formula that has made their DC Super Heroes/DCUC line a success..

anyway, my point is that if you are disappointed by this (and. inevitably, POP & NA fans are going to be), it makes having to buy 10 or so common characters a chore... sort of I mean, we probably won't get Mantenna or the like in the first year... maybe we will.. but that could have been more likely had this been a retail line... and I know, it wouldn't have survived, and Mattel is focusing on a collector markey, and they are being conservative... etc.

I just feel like they fed us a lot of hype-garbage to get us all excited, and then we hear about the regulations/qualifiers, etc., that make this not-so-fantastical a line..

I am still happy about it though
    A Want List of Sorts: Angella, Sssqueeze, Blast Attack, Multi-Bot, Peekablue, Veena, Calix, Evilseed, Mara, Point Dread & The Talon Fighter... and all the other POP & NA characters.

Some people are unhappy with the potential release of all core characters first. I hope they release those core characters first as I didn't get into 200x figures because a) I found out about them when the line allready died in the US and b) didn't like a lot of the designs.

If they start with too many obscure characters I might not going to collect this line. Am I alone in this?
    --------
    Joachim

I could put it this way...

I'm a casual collector of DC stuff at best.

I obviously LOVE the Four Horsemen's work, and like what I see with the DCUC line... But honestly? I'm not buying many of them.
    But when they were selling cool Batman's and cool Superman's I was getting those core characters. And when they release GL and Wonder Woman, again, core characters, I'm buying those.

Flip that now for MotU, I'll be buying EVERYTHING trust me!
    But the casual fan will just be after those "core" characters. They WON'T be buying the random obscure ones that we hardcore fans want.

So by the DCUC strategy... They still need to kick out a bunch of core characters to keep things going.
    However all that said... We know they are NOT going with the DC strategy because it's only one fig a month, only through their website.
    It's an interesting strategy for sure, I'll be very curious to see how well it does.
    I like that it's a new fig a month! (Provided they can stick to that) My wallet likes that, and it gives me something to look forward to EACH month! Like a super cool subscription to your favorite magazine!
    We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. -George Bernard Shaw

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Donimo View Post
    I'm quite disappointed that the "action" figures in the Classics line won't actually have the intended "action" features that should accompany them. To me, that's the whole point of an ACTION figure, for both collectibles and play toys. I have to admit that my enthusiasm over the new Classics line has waned quite a bit after hearing this news. In my opinion, these will only be slightly better than the previous stactions, which I was not a big fan of. I want true-to-the-meaning "action" figures - just like the originals. I want mechanical necks, and odors and spraying water - the real deal. Oh well... *sigh* :-(
    I'm not.

I don't need a figure to do something in order for it to be that character. Look at Marvel Legends or DCUC. No action features in those lines. The action features in some of the more kiddie assortments (like Spider-Man and X-Men) messes with the sculpt. This line is for collectors and most likely adults who don't need Khan spraying water or Dragstor zipping across your kitchen.

Quote Originally Posted by plasmapulse View Post
    Some people are unhappy with the potential release of all core characters first. I hope they release those core characters first as I didn't get into 200x figures because a) I found out about them when the line allready died in the US and b) didn't like a lot of the designs.

If they start with too many obscure characters I might not going to collect this line. Am I alone in this?
    Why? The line will eventually have the characters that you want.

If they release all the core characters first, then as soon as they run out of them, the obscure characters will be hard to sell. It's like that with SOTA's Street Fighter line. All but one of the Street Fighter 2 cast has been created, but now they have to sell the casts from the lesser known Street Fighter 3 and Street Fighter Alpha games. Because all of the major characters have been made, people will sleep on the line.
    Last edited by MegaGearMax; July 18, 2008 at 11:39am. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    I'm not.

I don't need a figure to do something in order for it to be that character. Look at Marvel Legends or DCUC. No action features in those lines. The action features in some of the more kiddie assortments (like Spider-Man and X-Men) messes with the sculpt. This line is for collectors and most likely adults who don't need Khan spraying water or Dragstor zipping across your kitchen.
    The difference is most of the Marvel superheroes have powers that can't be turned into action features, not in the same way that MOTU figures can anyway. Some of us still play with the toys, and like Transformers, the features are part of the appeal of MOTU.

I can live without action features for most of the characters, but if the bodies are getting reused for every figure it would have been nice to have a twist-waist punch included. IMO the main figures that NEED their action feature are: Extendar, Rio Blast, Rokkon, Stonedar, Blast-Attak, Mantenna, Modulok, Multi-Bot, and King Hiss.

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bcrduke View Post
    "If and when we get to Adora..."

great...

I have a feeling we won't be getting any POP or NA figures... I will be buying whatever they make, but we JUST got through collecting all the character they will probably release first.

this is almost like the Commemoratives all over again, assortment-wise.

Look, I know they said we would get MYP characters, and character never done before, but come on...

I guess, unless you're a POP fan, you can't understand how bad that comment really sounds.

"If" ???? Come on!
    The line could die once we get past He-Man and Skeletor. We don't know for sure how well even those characters are going to sell, but they'll set the bar because those first two will be the "must get" figures practically everyone on the .org will order. Once Mattel gets a sense of how well the line is doing then maybe they'll give a more concrete answer. The line could have a really bad month if they release Sea Hawk, but then spike if Evil-Lyn is released, only to go back down when Gwildor comes out.

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    The line could die once we get past He-Man and Skeletor. We don't know for sure how well even those characters are going to sell, but they'll set the bar because those first two will be the "must get" figures practically everyone on the .org will order. Once Mattel gets a sense of how well the line is doing then maybe they'll give a more concrete answer. The line could have a really bad month if they release Sea Hawk, but then spike if Evil-Lyn is released, only to go back down when Gwildor comes out.
    I think Mattel is going to have to expect a bit of a rollercoaster effect when it comes to releasing one a month.

Of course He-Man will sell well. Teela with a new 4HM sculpt for adult collectors? Oh yeah! She's gonna sell like hotcakes!
    My fear is, if they can the line when Zodac doesn't sell as expected, before they get to Trap-Jaw who WILL sell well.

So I hope when, not if, WHEN they have a down month, they don't freak out. I'm sure I'm not the only one here with THAT fear.

Mattel MUST realize out the gate that some characters will probably exceed expectations where others won't perform as they'd hoped.

I know that doesn't conform to a standard business plan, but when dealing with such a niche market on a heavy fan supported line, you have to break some business rules and jump forward in faith, listening to the fans all along the way.

I am sure the first 12 figures will have been selected carefully, to give the line the best chance of success possible. My head is now starting to come around to the idea that there will only be a few POP influances if the line continues after the first 12 figures. The heart of POP characters (for me) lies in their Filmation representation. The original toys designs were nice, but never really intrested me as a kid: or now as an adult.

If the new versions couldn't be totally Filmation inspired, I was at least hoping for a combo of the two styles. I am not really going to let my self get so excited anymore about if and when She-Ra appears: or what other POP characters are going to be made. These new sculpts probably won't reflect the way that I would like to see these characters presented: so I will just end up being disapointed. However, I am pleased for those who prefer the classic POP toy designs.

I assume She-Ra, Adora and Catra will probably be included. But I won't be expecting any more than that. I will wait for the 4H to knock my socks of with their designs, and I am sure I will still pick them up. (But I can see my self getting my paints and brushes out though) I just don't feel anywhere near as excited about them now as I did. The toy inspired picture of She-Ra posted eariler by Tallstar does not do it for me in any way shape or form. (Sorry Tally) The 2K version is so much better (IMHO). I pray Mattel will try to go with a version that is much more heavily based on the 2004 exclusive style. It is more representative of She-Ra's most recognaisable and iconic costume design.

I will still support MOTUC, but I now feel a little deflated as a Filmation POP fan. Maybe after all the news and sculpts have been revealed at SDCC I will feel a little better. But at lest we are getting new MOTU figures and that is brillient news!
    Last edited by Angel-T; July 18, 2008 at 02:47pm.
    PRO CLASSIC POP TOY DESIGN ELEMENTS BEING USED IN MOTUC TO COMPLEMENT THE FILMATION DESIGNS!!!!

I FULLY SUPPORT THE INCLUSION OF ILLUMINA IN MOTUC!!!!!

IF YOUR SICK OF WAITING FOR A LIGHT TO APPEAR AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL, STRIDE DOWN THERE AND LIGHT THE BLOODY THING YOURSELF!!!!!!!

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    I understand some of the worries/uncertainties, but for the main part, I think this idea is genious of Mattel. One figure a month (except for a chase/variant/re-colour probabably) and being the sole distributor will help cut costs on their part, they see more profit per figure and can get feedback directly from those who will be buying their products through surveys, polls, etc.

When a wave of action figures are released, sometimes it's impossible to find them all and/or some people simply cannot afford to buy all 6-8 figures at once, which means they miss out or skip certain figures even if they do want to buy them.

I think with one figure a month more He-Man collectors will be buying every figure because it's much more affordable in the long run (as long as shippiing and handling isn't rediculous). However, if all is well price-wise I see this line lasting for a very long time.

I would, eventually like to see the number of figures released per month go up, but keeping it lower to maybe say 3 a month, would help to ensure more sales, I think...which would help to keep the line stronger.

EDIT: Oh, I forgot to mention about the PoP figures. I'm both happy/disappointed. I'm happy the figures I liked more than the Filmation designs will get made (Castaspella, mainly) but I'm VERY disappointed we won't be seeing Filmation-only characters like Shadow Weaver, Sea Hawk, Scorpia, Octavia, etc. I'm also sad we won't see Force Captain Adora or the Filmation Catra. I REALLY wanted a Horde Catra like that. The show made her perfectly and Mattel could have made a variant of her in her toy colours (black and silver). I really hope they can use the 200X/Filmation look of She-Ra and NOT the 80's toy version. The swirl chest always bothered me.
    Last edited by Darkspecter; July 18, 2008 at 02:30pm.

Call me a complainer, but I'll be mad if at least 1 PoP character isn't included in the first year line-up. I'm sorry, but when it came to PoP's place in the MOTU Classics line, the brand most certainly wasn't being touted as secondary or a "wait and see how MOTU performs first" or "we have to get the core MOTU characters out of the way first" venture. That fact was emphasized when they showed a picture of Adora, explained the highlights of the line, and answered that there definitely would be PoP characters when asked. (Refer to the New York Comic Con thread if you don't believe that 'definitely' part) Basically it was supposed to be 'anything goes.' (within reason) That's why the PoP fans were so excited about this!

And since Mattel is saying this is a collector line that isn't going to have anything to do with the movie or retailers, I guess I don't understand why it's now starting to feel like we're stuck having to get ALL the core or most popular MOTU characters out of the way first. For what reason? I mean, I understand having to get He-Man and Skeletor in there, but IMO the rules and core characters changed once PoP got added to the line. Seeing as how She-Ra headlined her own toy line and cartoon, and was one of the top 5 remembered things in that survey that Mattel did, she HAS to trounce *at least* 1 of the original 8 back characters, popularity-wise. This is just how I feel about things.

These two things bother me the most about this on-line stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Angel-T View Post
    (I can see my self getting my paints and brushes out though)
    Mattel has a horrible past with QC, and not being able to pick the one you want, I cant wait for all the threads with all the pictures of crossed eyes and one eye on the forhead.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspecter View Post
    I think with one figure a month more He-Man collectors will be buying every figure because it's much more affordable in the long run (as long as shippiing and handling isn't rediculous). However, if all is well price-wise I see this line lasting for a very long time.
    This is the thing that first popped in my head with the announcement of only on-line. How many times have you bought something from a big company and paid the most crazy shipping prices? Now how many times have you bought something from little on-lines stores and shipping was dirt cheap? It doesnt make sense, that the super big companies would have the the highest prices. It is just price gouching. And that is what I expect is going to happen here.

And you cant bring ebay shipping prices into this.

...sell like hot cakes....

MODULOK would a very good seller or Horde Tropper for Army building.

Figs we never seen since the 80s.

Quote Originally Posted by banthafett View Post
    This is the thing that first popped in my head with the announcement of only on-line. How many times have you bought something from a big company and paid the most crazy shipping prices?
    I think (purely only a hypothesis on my part) some companies charge high fees because they use flat-rate shipping and use it to pay some of the wages of the people who have to pack the stuff. That's my guess, but still...I'm REALLY hoping the Mattel site has cheap shipping methods. If shipping's $15-20 a figure and the figures are $15-20 each...I'm not sure how long the line will last if people are shelling out $30-40 a figure. HOWEVER, I'm remaining hopeful that shipping will be affordable. Just my optimism, I guess.

BAENA, you took the words out of my mouth!!

Your comments are perfect!I think just the same way as you do!Thanks a lot!

Besides all that discussion, I´ll honestly support this line, even with the higher shipping prices to my country (Brazil).

I really hope that this line can be turned into a great sucess, because it´s what we always dreamed for!
    "The young Warrior with the Grip of Evil"

Shipping to Canada or anywhere outside the US is gonna be pricey... Always has been, always will be unfortunately.

Now it'd be cool if Mattel International hopped onboard and distributed locally!
    No clue though if that'll happen or not.

So I'm curious... What should be the price point of these figs?

I know what I'm willing to pay... As long as we get some sweet packaging and minicomics to go along with it...

What are you willing to pay? (maybe this could be a poll!)

Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    Call me a complainer, but I'll be mad if at least 1 PoP character isn't included in the first year line-up. I'm sorry, but when it came to PoP's place in the MOTU Classics line, the brand most certainly wasn't being touted as secondary or a "wait and see how MOTU performs first" or "we have to get the core MOTU characters out of the way first" venture. That fact was emphasized when they showed a picture of Adora, explained the highlights of the line, and answered that there definitely would be PoP characters when asked. (Refer to the New York Comic Con thread if you don't believe that 'definitely' part) Basically it was supposed to be 'anything goes.' (within reason) That's why the PoP fans were so excited about this!

And since Mattel is saying this is a collector line that isn't going to have anything to do with the movie or retailers, I guess I don't understand why it's now starting to feel like we're stuck having to get ALL the core or most popular MOTU characters out of the way first. For what reason? I mean, I understand having to get He-Man and Skeletor in there, but IMO the rules and core characters changed once PoP got added to the line. Seeing as how She-Ra headlined her own toy line and cartoon, and was one of the top 5 remembered things in that survey that Mattel did, she HAS to trounce *at least* 1 of the original 8 back characters, popularity-wise. This is just how I feel about things.

Intresting point Tally, and I agree! She-Ra is way more popular than a number of the original 8 back figures. I totally believe that She would sell very well, equally on par with any of them. I feel very let down now over how the possible one or two POP figures will be handled in this line (and the loss of Shadow Weaver). Mattel have already left a bitter taste in my mouth, and I haven't even got the first figure yet.

I am sorry to be negative, but Mattel are not listening to what fans want, (regarding the POP issues). But they are gonna do what they are gonna do, and we can't change it! It's such a shame, because these characters (done the right way) could bring so much to the line. Finally, the Filmation designs are a very big part of the classic look and feel of these characters. To try and reimagine these characters without this influance is leaving behind a very big chunk of their essence.
    Last edited by Angel-T; July 18, 2008 at 03:15pm.
    PRO CLASSIC POP TOY DESIGN ELEMENTS BEING USED IN MOTUC TO COMPLEMENT THE FILMATION DESIGNS!!!!

I FULLY SUPPORT THE INCLUSION OF ILLUMINA IN MOTUC!!!!!

IF YOUR SICK OF WAITING FOR A LIGHT TO APPEAR AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL, STRIDE DOWN THERE AND LIGHT THE BLOODY THING YOURSELF!!!!!!!

Shipping to Canada or anywhere outside the US is gonna be pricey... Always has been, always will be unfortunately.
    Not necessarily. Shipping to Canada from certain U.S. States is very pricey. Ex. 3 loose Star Wars figures in a tiny box cost almost $17 shipping one time. Other times I can get something huge like a lot of 30 MOTU figures with a Castle Grayskull for about $20. On average, from the U.S. to Canada a MOC figure the size of 200x He-Man is always under $10. All of my MOTU and PoP DVD sets were all $5 or under for shipping (individually), as are very many action figures I buy online. The price the seller charges is another story, however.

EDIT: Shipping is the same way within Canada. Shipping to/from Ontario and Quebec is fairly inexpensive, but no matter what you send or receive from British Columbia or Edmonton, it will cost an arm and a leg. Different Provinces cost different amounts, much like the different States in the U.S. I think California can send items to Canada for a cheap price. I have purchased a bunch from California. I wish I made a list of prices, weight and box sizes per State.
    Last edited by Darkspecter; July 18, 2008 at 03:17pm.

What are you willing to pay? (maybe this could be a poll!)
    Basically whatever it takes, but that's just me. But if you want an actual amount that I think is fair for everyone...hmmm I think up to $12.99 is reasonable, but I imagine it could be more than that.

If this line has the Care and Quality of the DVD's that came out then I'm willing to pay for that quality.

Those Filmation DVD's are incredible!...

I think this line is completely inspired by the work that was done on them.

THE DEMON KEY - Skelepimp Mini-Comic

Skelepimp Commissions are only a PM away....