Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Answers to WTFWTK 2.2!

Quote Originally Posted by Baena View Post
    Shipping to Canada or anywhere outside the US is gonna be pricey... Always has been, always will be unfortunately.

Now it'd be cool if Mattel International hopped onboard and distributed locally!
    No clue though if that'll happen or not.

So I'm curious... What should be the price point of these figs?

I know what I'm willing to pay... As long as we get some sweet packaging and minicomics to go along with it...

What are you willing to pay? (maybe this could be a poll!)
    Well I will have a problem if the total price is over $20

Shipping for this item should be somewhere between $6.75-8.00 for priority mail. That leaves room for the figure to be priced, i would like to see the figure price be about 9.99.

When it comes to all the figures selling out, i think that they should only make enough to last about 1 month, so then when there are figures that dont sell well they should discount them 50% at the end of the month then i would probably pick up a few more of them.
    My Collection:

Items available for sale or trade.

I have had Good Trades/Deals with: Siroko, Klocket, JVS3, oICEMANo, River, roboticplanet, rougewelder, joeybones, dutch, miscus555, tsilevon, charliecore, cderby79, manson1978, CrazyMotuFan, TombstonePiledrive, rcpax & dark knight.

Quote Originally Posted by Angel-T View Post
    Intresting point Tally, and I agree! She-Ra is way more popular than a number of the original 8 back figures. I totally believe that She would sell very well, equally on par with any of them.

I am sorry to be negative, but Mattel are not listening to what fans want, (regarding the POP issues). But they are gonna do what they are gonna do, and we can't change it! It's such a shame, because these characters (done the right way) could bring so much to the line. Finally, the Filmation designs are a very big part of the classic look and feel of these characters. To try and reimagine these characters without this influance is leaving behind a very big chunk of their essence.
    How many PoP fans are really voicing their concerns here?
    So far it's just a few of you.

I agree with you that She-Ra would sell well, and she'd be popular... But I don't know if she'd be more popular than the 8-backs... It's honestly speculation there. I'm sure there are plenty of good arguments that She-Ra would be more popular than maybe three of the 8-backs... But it's a MAYBE.
    Those 8-Back characters have been with us all since the beginning. All 8 of those characters are loved by not just the pre-Filmation crowd, not just the Filmation crowd, but BOTH of those two crowds... And both of those crowds combined are surely larger than the PoP fanbase... I'm just guessing there.
    I really don't want to be baggin' on the PoP fans, I'm just stating logistics here.

It may also be a good reminder that the SDCC 2004 She-Ra figure didn't sell all that hot at the conventions... (Granted that could've been the lame lottery method Mattel used to sell them. )She was available online both here at the .org and at other retailers for quite a while before she sold out... Not real promising there...

Believe me I too WANT a MotU Classics She-Ra figure! Catra, Adora, Glimmer, Queen Angella, Frosta and Shadow Weaver too!
    I want He-Ro and the Green Goddess too, and those two were shown right there along side Adora in the NYCC Presentation. So to say she should come before the others is a little mute. They'll all come when they come. Toyguru specifically said that the majority of this first run... Whatever a run is... Will be MotU... AND THEN the others.
    We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. -George Bernard Shaw
    Nate Baertsch Illustration Blog

Here’s my 2 cents worth!

What I like:

1. Ordering online eliminates the scalper problem.
    2. Less figures means it will be easier to obtain them all.
    3. Reusing body parts will help keep profits up, allow the line to continue longer, and help add to the “classic” feel of the vintage line.
    4. Classic colors (even for accessories)

What I don’t like

1. The lack of original action features may detract from the overall nostalgia of certain figures. (ex: Meckaneck, Cy-Clone)
    2. Ordering 1 figure online will probably end up costing as much as 3 of these figures would cost at retail.
    3. Making so few figures per year might not be enough to generate hype over the line.
    4. Online only distribution will not attract the casual collector.

What I think could help improve the line:

1. Distributing small quantities to specialty shops. While Wal-Mart and Target may be weary of stocking this line, places such as Hot Topic and Hastings have stocked up on nostalgic toys. This would be good for the casual collectors who otherwise might not be aware of this line and also for internet haters.
    2. 2 figures per month. Even 24 figures per year is a low number but still enough to keep the hype up. I feel that 12 figures per year might not generate enough hype. Also, this way Mattel can piggy back obscure characters off of major characters.

Quote Originally Posted by Angel-T View Post
    Intresting point Tally, and I agree!
    Thanks. Here's the thing: I wanna believe that MOTU Classics is gonna grow and grow in popularity, but past experience with the various toy lines, DVDs and and mini-statues dictates there's a greater chance that each consective figure will sell less than the previous one or that general interest will wane as time goes on. So unless they sprinkle PoP somewhere in those first 12, I don't see us getting anything PoP after the 12.

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    I agree with you that She-Ra would sell well, and she'd be popular... But I don't know if she'd be more popular than the 8-backs... It's honestly speculation there. I'm sure there are plenty of good arguments that She-Ra would be more popular than maybe three of the 8-backs... But it's a MAYBE.
    Those 8-Back characters have been with us all since the beginning. All 8 of those characters are loved by not just the pre-Filmation crowd, not just the Filmation crowd, but BOTH of those two crowds... And both of those crowds combined are surely larger than the PoP fanbase... I'm just guessing there.
    I really don't want to be baggin' on the PoP fans, I'm just stating logistics here.
    Okay, who are these 8-Backs that everyone keeps mentioning...

He-Man.org Forum Admin TheShadow's Avatar
    Well just to throw in my $0.02

I would buy Adora and/or She-Ra before any of the 8 back regular characters outside of He-Man and Skeletor.

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    Okay, who are these 8-Backs that everyone keeps mentioning...

The 8 Backs are:

He-Man
    Skeletor
    Beastman
    Stratos
    Zodak
    Man-At-Arms
    Merman
    Teela

Just released 10/6/2013: EPISODE 55 of Masters Cast!
    The He-Man & She-Ra Podcast at www.masterscast.com

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    And for those of you gripping about 12 figures a year...that's great for an online toyline. Some companies can't get out a wave of FOUR characters a year, let alone 1 character each month. That's constant hype, not something that you're only excited for every few months or half a year. There is no downtime for this line. No period of inactivity. No wondering if the line is dead because of nothing coming out.

As a SOTA collector, I would KILL for the Street Fighter line to have one character per month.

You guys have no idea how lucky you are...

Quote Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post

The 8 Backs are:

He-Man
    Skeletor
    Beastman
    Stratos
    Zodak
    Man-At-Arms
    Merman
    Teela
    Wow. I figured those guys would be the 8 backs, except for Zodak. I thought it would have been Evil-Lyn.
    Last edited by MegaGearMax; July 18, 2008 at 03:48pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

It's true, only a few people are demanding She-ra constantly in discussion.

Of course, the said can be said about anything else.

Let's look at it from the data.

When you do a google search for He-Man
    or a google search for She-Ra,
    excluding youtube and wikipedia, He-Man.org is the 1st returned result.

So, we know that when people search for either, and they don't know about this site, this is the 1st site they are made aware of.

Then, let's go to Google again for who's actually coming to this site because of their search.
    According to our own Analytics report,
    in this past month along over 5000 people have visited He-Man.org just from searching for the word "He-Man" in google.

By comparison, less than a 100 people have visited He-Man.org after searching for all reported strings containing the word "She-Ra" (eg: "Shera, she-ra princess of power, she-ra dvd, etc)
    The number of actual "She-Ra" results was 12.

So, while She-Ra is awesome and very important to the MOTU universe, she really does pale in comparison to the popularity of He-Man and his cohorts.
    I think Mattel and the 4H are right in first going with characters from the original 8-back lineup.
    After that? Anything is possible. so, I would try not to complain about the lack of POP right now. It's way early in the game still.

It may also be a good reminder that the SDCC 2004 She-Ra figure didn't sell all that hot at the conventions... (Granted that could've been the lame lottery method Mattel used to sell them. )She was available online both here at the .org and at other retailers for quite a while before she sold out... Not real promising there...
    But you have to consider that She-Ra was produced in a quantitity of double or several times that of all the past convention exclusives. (12,000) So, all the MOTU stuff could look more successful than it actually is. (And I remember Val saying she was definitely more in demand than Keldor) There's also a time factor involved at the conventions. It's easy to claim that He-Man is a smash hit when there's only 1,000 pieces made for the convention.

She moved several thousand figures between the 2 conventions, and it didn't take years or anything for her to totally sell out. What did the .org get? I forget. I think it was something like 1,000 figures? (Keldor was offered through here and overseas as well though) Personally I think that's amazing for a character that's from a brand that hasn't had any exposure since the toy line / cartoon ended.

The same could also be said of the He-Man mini-statue. For how much exposure he's had over the years, pre-orders should've been the highest on that wave, but NECA said each wave sold less. Interest wasn't reinvigorated.

Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    8. Are any of the 1980s concepts that never got released possible in the MOTUC line? (like Hand-Some, Big-Foot, Dragon-Lord, etc. Also others seen in Tomarts magazine years ago)
    These are possibilities down the road, but we have a lot of other exciting characters we would like to get to first.

YESYESYESYESYES! You know what this means? I WILL FINALLY GET A DYLAMUG AND FINALLY GET TO RE-ENACT SHADES OF ORKO!

And since they can do Mini-comic characters, and there was a female Rock Person, I'll also get Granita!

These are the two "Filmation" characters that I have wanted far above everyone else, and this has got to be the greatest thing ever. I was honestly considering giving up MotU altogether when I found out it was gonna be online only and only one new toy a month, giving all my attention to Transformers, but I will Mattel my undying support if they can deliver on the toys I've always wanted.
    People who say certain characters should never be remade is stupid. Throw rocks at them.

I support Filmation characters for MOTUC! Let Mattel know it's worth their while to get the rights to those characters!

I think somebody lies because on one side more and more figures are produced and sold even though less?!??!
    And then do again suddenly die mostly sold Staction our taut fellow?!?!

I think companies (Mattel die, Neca) lie down always so rightly to get out even more provit, unfortunately, is thus in live.

I trust on no number.
    … Only on the fact which if we buy everybody consistently and of course us also everything was liked Mattel Jungs to us die there in the hobby room on-line business put, we can go out from it we everything got. Of course beginning as it began at that time in the hobby room to 80th. Because it are level the biggest and most successful war.

And of course I hope will be also possible for the figures for fair prices in Germany, Europe and of course also on the whole ones shall be had.
    I suppose, nevertheless, certainly the decrease in figures at least that so largely is with the rest of the world like in the states.

Oh man, most important for us fans probably becomes his generally in the figures to get. I hope Mattel show this which does not have credit cards simply everybody. The high inches and after carriage costs oversea.

I hope imploringly the Mattel there conditions with various On-line / comic shops in the respective countries negotiates.
    Otherwise I see black with the new Line, it silk Mattel plans really only with the American market.
    Last edited by Merman79; July 18, 2008 at 04:56pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

To me, it seems like there's been a lot of members out of the 40 something posters in this thread that have been discussing She-Ra, Adora, or something PoP related.

Anyhow, I'm not trying to give anyone a hard time here or anything. I love the MOTU characters, but I lean more towards PoP. It's just that I didn't think this line was going to be about getting only MOTU characters in the first year. It felt very much like they were trying to include everyone when Mattel reps spoke at NYCC.

Member of the Royal Family JimmyPSHayes's Avatar
    OK, can anyone help me with this question?
    8. Are any of the 1980s concepts that never got released possible in the MOTUC line? (like Hand-Some, Big-Foot, Dragon-Lord, etc. Also others seen in Tomarts magazine years ago)
    -I've never heard of Hand-Some before(or the others), but he sounds like the most awesome character ever!!!! I've been googling it for like 45 minutes and the only results I'm getting is how "handsome" He-man is. Can someone help me with info on this?
    -Sorry if this is OT, but to make this post ON topic:
    -I CAN'T WAIT FOR THIS AWESOME NEW LINE!
    I love it when a plan comes together.

Movie mayhem!
    honestly i'd be quite annoyed if no pop figures showed up :-(

I get they'll want to do more bankable characters this first "wave" but couldn't/shouldn't she-ra be one of those?

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyPSHayes View Post
    OK, can anyone help me with this question?
    -I've never heard of Hand-Some before(or the others), but he sounds like the most awesome character ever!!!! I've been googling it for like 45 minutes and the only results I'm getting is how "handsome" He-man is. Can someone help me with info on this?
    -Sorry if this is OT, but to make this post ON topic:
    -I CAN'T WAIT FOR THIS AWESOME NEW LINE!
    Try googling "MotU Tomart"
    People who say certain characters should never be remade is stupid. Throw rocks at them.

I support Filmation characters for MOTUC! Let Mattel know it's worth their while to get the rights to those characters!

Skeletors evil colorist Predabot's Avatar
    So far it's just a few of you. =(
    Something of a point, we need a higher ratio, so it's time I step forth and poke you in the beard!

I agree with you that She-Ra would sell well, and she'd be popular... But I don't know if she'd be more popular than the 8-backs... It's honestly speculation there. I'm sure there are plenty of good arguments that She-Ra would be more popular than maybe three of the 8-backs... But it's a MAYBE!!
    Oh? I feel that it's almost a given, that she'll sell more than both Zodac and Merman. She might even sell as much as the two of them combined!

You mention the convention-exclusive not selling out at the con as an implication that she's not very popular, but Tallstar brings up a couple of very good points about that, any perticular thoughts on those?

Believe me I too WANT a MotU Classics She-Ra figure! Catra, Adora, Glimmer, Queen Angella, Frosta and Shadow Weaver too!
    I want He-Ro and the Green Goddess too, and those two were shown right there along side Adora in the NYCC Presentation. So to say she should come before the others is a little mute. They'll all come when they come. Toyguru specifically said that the majority of this first run... Whatever a run is... Will be MotU... AND THEN the others.
    But isn't the key-word here the "majority"? It seems as if there will be some mixing up already at the end of the first run. I'm thinking the first run will be 8 figs, possibly the 8-backs, but it's quite possible they'll mix it up and transpose Merman with, for example, Mekaneck, or Adora.

And the next 4 figures could be of a much more diverse kind. If that's what they're doing, then I'm going to be very pleased.

Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    Thanks. Here's the thing: I wanna believe that MOTU Classics is gonna grow and grow in popularity, but past experience with the various toy lines, DVDs and and mini-statues dictates there's a greater chance that each consective figure will sell less than the previous one or that general interest will wane as time goes on. So unless they sprinkle PoP somewhere in those first 12, I don't see us getting anything PoP after the 12.
    I am vary of the possibility of failure, but I'm also very optimistic that the line will last for more than a year. Everything seems to be in place, if the line doesn't succeed now, then by golly, I don't know what you can give MotU-fans to make them happy.

Obviously I'm with you that we need a She-Ra or Adora among the twelve first, but I've got no demands for them being in the first 8. The first twelve should do nicely, and could logically please the biggest amount of people possible.

CURSE YOU GIN MONKEY the_ultimate_evil's Avatar
    it's a shame we wont see the toon designs for the characters, as the toon improved on a lot of the designs. still its now just a waiting game see what they look like and decide which to buy
    And so I walk, into the searing light which banishes all darkness, surrendering my face and form to atoms of dust, seeking the true darkness of peace,the cool shadows of eternity and the unknown fate of nothingness
    Click to see my portfolio here
    my art blog with my latest pieces here
    my deviant art galleryhere
    all comments, criticisms and questions are welcome in my guestbook

Heroic Master of Cats Judeh Simon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    When you do a google search for He-Man
    or a google search for She-Ra,
    excluding youtube and wikipedia, He-Man.org is the 1st returned result.
    If you do a google image search for Catra, my drawing comes up in the top three spots. Of course this has nothing to do with anything, i'm just so proud!!

On a competely different note, I would buy a She-Ra before i buy a Zodac, Mer-man, Ram-Man, Triklops or Man-e-faces. My guess is she'll be out by month 7 or 8.
    My MOTUC top 10 wants (POST SDCC 2014):

Queen Angella - Hunga the Harpy - Peekablue - Toy Catra - Veena - Red Knight - Vultak - Dylamug - Sibyline - Kex Queen

Small creatures that need to happen: 3 main twiggets

The lack of action features can be added to the list of disappointments with this line. How are you gonna have a stinkor that doesnt smell. Neca already put one out that I skipped. If moss man isn't flocked, and scare glow doesn't glow I will be pretty put off.

I really don't see this line lasting too long. With this one figure a month they are really going to have to tailor the production run to each specific character. I know there is a decent amount of she ra fans here, but there is now way a third tier she ra character is going to sell as well as nearly any MOTU character. And what about the months when this she ra or NA figures come out. Those are gonna be some slow ass months cause surely a lot of people will be skipping those figures. I know I will be, but if they were in store I guarantee the impulse would drive me to get them.

Heroic Master of Music baileyrecords's Avatar
    She-who? J/k!

Seriously though... IMO Mattel should follow there own original 8 pack plus Grayskull, Sorceress, She-Ra, and Adam... that'd be a heck of great year and many bases would be covered!!

Year 2 should include Adora, Randor, Hordak, and a smattering of Masters, Evil Warriors, and Horde. Maybe even Hiss.
    I am Stratos, Heroic Master of Music! and proud member of the Ohio Masters

Please check out my Kaiju Kaos: Smackdown Kickstarter going on now until Feb 12th. Thanks!

I like that idea bailyreacords. It gives the POP fans something to look foward to while supporting the first 8-12 core MOTU figures!
    PRO CLASSIC POP TOY DESIGN ELEMENTS BEING USED IN MOTUC TO COMPLEMENT THE FILMATION DESIGNS!!!!

I FULLY SUPPORT THE INCLUSION OF ILLUMINA IN MOTUC!!!!!

IF YOUR SICK OF WAITING FOR A LIGHT TO APPEAR AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL, STRIDE DOWN THERE AND LIGHT THE BLOODY THING YOURSELF!!!!!!!

Heroic Warrior
    Do you think the store will simplify things for long time fans, and just say:

" Join the Mattel MOTUC Club by giving us your name, email and credit card number, and we just send you one each month and save you the trouble. Cherry pickers get stuffed. Because the club is for our most loyal friends, and the only way to get the Christmas exclusive, Keldor alternate heads for Skeletor, or redecos like Wonderbread." That would be fine with me.

Quote Originally Posted by Predabot View Post
    Oh? I feel that it's almost a given, that she'll sell more than both Zodac and Merman. She might even sell as much as the two of them combined!
    That's your guess. I guessed, you guessed... That two guesses... No facts.
    The only facts we could maybe get would be straight numbers from Mattel on how many vintage Mermans, Zodacs and She-Ras sold. (wouldn't that be cool?)

Quote Originally Posted by Predabot View Post
    You mention the convention-exclusive not selling out at the con as an implication that she's not very popular, but Tallstar brings up a couple of very good points about that, any perticular thoughts on those?
    They're good points for sure, but I reference you back to JVS3's post about searches and the numbers there.
    Look, I'm a She-Ra fan, but I recognize that She-Ra's public view? She doesn't have nearly the popularity that He-Man has.
    Does she hold that popularity amongst all of us here posting? Sure, but to the rest of the world that will see this line with us? Different story, sorry.
    We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. -George Bernard Shaw
    Nate Baertsch Illustration Blog

You make some valid points Baena, but I think you are dismissing She-Ra's popularity to easily. She sold out as a fan exclusive, 12.000 figures. Thats not something that should be over looked, especially considering that her 2004 con exclusive had no major media attention and She-Ra never even had an appearance in the MYP cartoon. This line isn't being marketed to the rest of the world, its being marketed to us! We are Mattel's target population. Within this fan community she does hold her popularity and I for one hope she comes as soon as possible after the first run of MOTU only characters. As Val also said She-Ra is very important to the MOTU universe, and many fans are going to want her in their collections before a number of B list MOTU characters.
    Last edited by Angel-T; July 18, 2008 at 10:30pm.
    PRO CLASSIC POP TOY DESIGN ELEMENTS BEING USED IN MOTUC TO COMPLEMENT THE FILMATION DESIGNS!!!!

I FULLY SUPPORT THE INCLUSION OF ILLUMINA IN MOTUC!!!!!

IF YOUR SICK OF WAITING FOR A LIGHT TO APPEAR AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL, STRIDE DOWN THERE AND LIGHT THE BLOODY THING YOURSELF!!!!!!!

Interesting news for all fans in general.

For me, however, I am only interested in this line to help fill-out the gaps left by the untimely demise of the 2002 line. That being said, if the style of the classics line is too different from that of the 2002 line, I probably will not be partaking.
    ----------
    The Zed Word: Zombie Blog
    Zombie movie reviews and news
    http://www.zedwordblog.blogspot.com