Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: General Mills Monsters Cereals are ALIVE for Halloween!

Heroic Warrior sportsandstuff777's Avatar

General Mills Monsters Cereals are ALIVE for Halloween!

http://2coolghouls.blogspot.com/2017/08/the-monsters-cereals-are-alive.html

New Box designs for Count Chocula, Boo Berry, Franken Berry just in time for Halloween 2017!

Franken-Berry-Cereal-2017.jpg
    Check out my auctions for Thundercats, MOTU,Transformers, Gi-Joe and WWE!♫

http://tinyurl.com/7cadj6b

Visit my Blog at http://2coolghouls.blogspot.com/

Nature's Greatest Wonder Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    Cool! Time for my annual stock-piling of Count Chocula!

In the name of the Lloyd!

I wish they'd continued to revive Fruit Brute and Yummy Mummy like they did a few years ago. Too bad that was a one-time-only thing. As long as I can get a few boxes of Chocula, though, I'll survive.

Quote Originally Posted by Drunken Fist View Post
    I wish they'd continued to revive Fruit Brute and Yummy Mummy like they did a few years ago. Too bad that was a one-time-only thing. As long as I can get a few boxes of Chocula, though, I'll survive.
    Yeah, I agree. Yummy Mummy actually became my favorite flavor of them all, followed by Frute Brute. I'll never forget that glorious time in 2013 when they had all five flavors .
    Most wanted: 1) Lizorr, 2) Sagitar, 3) King Miro, 4) Hunga, 5) Hoove, 6) Kayo, 7) Artilla, 9) Master Sebrian, 10) Masks of Power Demons, 11) Twiggets, 12) Raj-Jar, 13) Hans Hammerholder, 14) Staghorn, 15) Spinwit, 16) Kittrina, 17) Vizar, 18) Butthead, 19) Nocturna, 20) Melaktha, 21) Stridor, 22) Uncle Montork & Dree-Elle, 23) ABC Giants

I'm guessing they didn't sell very well compared to the usual three cereals, which is why they unfortunately discontinued them. I remember my local Walmart having a ridiculous overstock of Yummy Mummy.

It was cool having all of them available at once.

Heroic Warrior
    Fruit Brute?

I think I kind of remember the Yummy Mummy.

"Oh dearie my!" Mer-Man's Minion's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragon78 View Post
    Fruit Brute?

I think I kind of remember the Yummy Mummy.
    Yup, I just learned of both these guys some years ago right here on this board. You'd think they'd really go all out and keep all 5 cereals in good rotation for at least the Halloween season. I mean it's only 5 to keep track of, not 15, lol.

Muppet fans, if you like Janice of The Electric Mayhem, check out: Janice: "Fer sure!"

Heroic Warrior
    Okay, so Fruit Brute is a werewolf.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragon78 View Post
    Okay, so Fruit Brute is a werewolf.
    Yup...and he even appeared in a commercial! (and so did Fruity Yummy Mummy!)

Interestingly, Fruit Brute was first around from 1974 - 1982, and Yummy Mummy was around from 1987 - 1992. I had no idea YM was that late, I would've thought it was a "deceased" cereal like Fruit Brute, only around before the '80s'; I have no memory of him, which is odd, because I was a Saturday morning cartoon-watching kid during those years. I totally remember Boo Berry though (who goes back to 1973), and I really remember feeling sorry for him for being the underrated/underused Monster Cereal. It seemed like he got the short end of the spooky stick in the commercials, with having less ads, and just making a cameo in one or two featuring FrankenBerry and Count Chocula.

Last edited by Mer-Man's Minion; August 23, 2017 at 10:28am.
    Muppet fans, if you like Janice of The Electric Mayhem, check out: Janice: "Fer sure!"

I remember that Yummy Mummy commercial quite well. I don't recall ever eating the cereal during it's original run, but I do remember the advertising for it.

Fruit Brute was mostly before my time. I would have been about 2 years old when it was discontinued.

From what I've read, it actually sounds like the original versions of those two cereal were very similar to each other, if not identical. Their respective original packaging only referred to them as being "fruit flavored"....

But it looks like one or both of them were reformulated to at least some degree for their re-releases a few years ago. Frute Brute (also notice the difference in the spelling of the cereal name for the re-release... Frute Brute instead of Fruit Brute) was changed to be cherry flavored specifically, and Yummy Mummy was changed to be orange cream flavored.

This is the 'standard' packaging from the re-release for them:

and the retro-themed re-release packaging, which I believe was exclusive to Target if I recall correctly:

Awesome!
    I wish they'd add in some of King Tamusk's (Tom Bryski's) monster cereal designs as well. Like a new limited monster cereal each year.
    Please check out my gallery on Deviantart
    Hope to see you at Power-Con 2017!

Very cool, Dynamo...we're right around the same age, so we definitely grew up with those commercials on Saturday mornings. Except I vividly recall FB and CC and BB, and I said I didn't remember YM, but maybe I did see it and just forgot about it? Who knows...I just love that vintage Fruit Brute ad though; I'm so glad someone had these oldies!

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamo of Eternia
    From what I've read, it actually sounds like the original versions of those two cereal were very similar to each other, if not identical.
    Actually there was a difference, according to the Monster Cereals page on Wikipedia:

Fruit Brute: Frosted fruit-flavored cereal with lime-flavored marshmallows

Yummy Mummy: Frosted fruit-flavored cereal with vanilla-flavored marshmallows (I couldn't do white text for "vanilla" or else it would be invisible, lol)

Unless you meant that aside from the marshmallows the "cereal cereal" was identical, which it very well could have been, I don't know.

Man all this Monster Cereal talk is gettin' me in the mood for Halloween, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamo of Eternia
    This is the 'standard' packaging from the re-release for them:
    Here's another one I found; I like this one, lol:

Last edited by Mer-Man's Minion; August 23, 2017 at 04:43pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamo of Eternia View Post
    I'm guessing they didn't sell very well compared to the usual three cereals, which is why they unfortunately discontinued them. I remember my local Walmart having a ridiculous overstock of Yummy Mummy.

It was cool having all of them available at once.
    That's likely. There were piles of Fruit Brute and Yummy Mummy at my Target on clearance that November. I did my part to buy up their unsold stock.
    Fruit Brute wasn't quite before my time, but I was only a few years old when it was discontinued. I was pretty fascinated with it; as a kid who was obsessed with monsters and old horror movies, I was way into the monster cereals, and knowing there had been another that I'd never seen gave it a legendary feel in my mind. I was very pleased to be able to get some a few years ago, even if the flavor had been changed. Target is the only store in my city that gets the monster cereals, so I was able to get the retro-style boxes.
    Whenever I think about how kids today can't get the monster cereals-- not even Count Chocula or Frankenberry-- year-round anymore, it bums me out way more than it probably should.

Oh wow, guys! Check out this YouTube compilation of Monster Cereal commercials all through the decades since the '70s! Awesome! Man I love some of these settings...nighttime thunderstorms, spooky trees, old castles, secret passageways, eerie candles, what fun! And what I found the most fascinating was, okay, ya know how it's always Count Chocula versus FrankenBerry? Well there is one commercial where it's Count Chocula versus Boo Berry, and another where it's FrankenBerry versus Boo Berry! At the 8:37 mark there's one for Count vs. Boo, no Franken, and the one right after that is Franken vs Boo, no Count! I never knew ones like that existed, wow...I always knew the basic "battle" to be Count vs Franken...and there's another Count vs. Boo at 14:40! And I totally remember that jingle, "How 'bout a monster for breakfast today?" Man, kudos to this YouTube guy "rarehalloweenvideos" for putting all these great ads together!

Last edited by Mer-Man's Minion; August 24, 2017 at 06:34pm.

That's cool! I'll have to check that out!

Hexcellent Horror Hostess
    I've always loved the Monster Cereals. Like Drunken Fist, I grew up loving classic monsters and old horror films. Count Chocula, Boo Berry, and Frankenberry were usually begged for when seen at the supermarket. My mom knew they were bad and "full of sugar," but she relented on occasion. As a kid, I also remember seeing Fruit Brute in the store exactly ONCE, though I never got to try it back then. For years, I desperately tried to find "the werewolf cereal," but it must have been discontinued shortly after I spotted it. I vividly remember when Yummy Mummy came out, and was super excited when I saw the commercial for it. I got the cereal, and after my sisters and I gobbled it up, I cut out the pic of Yummy Mummy from the front of the box and saved it for several years. lol.

I got way too excited when they re-released all five monster cereals in 2013. I hope they do that again someday. Fruit Brute and Yummy Mummy must rise from the grave once more!!!

Side note: As a teenager, I participated in a bizarre but hilarious comedy role-playing game called, "Tales from the Floating Vagabond." During one adventure, the GM (my wacky friend Mike) introduced the monster cereal characters into the game. I remember we discovered the body of the Quik Bunny, who was mysteriously drained of his chocolaty blood. The puncture wounds on the Quik Bunny's neck looked like they were caused by buck teeth. This put us on the trail of Count Chocula, and we eventually wound up at his castle. In the game, I invented a nemesis for Count Chocula named Vanilla Helsing. Since then, I've fantasized about what Vanilla Helsing cereal, and commercials, would be like. Make it happen General Mills! lol.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    I wish they'd add in some of King Tamusk's (Tom Bryski's) monster cereal designs as well. Like a new limited monster cereal each year.
    Agreed! Tom's faux monster cereal designs are awesome!
    Last edited by Penny Dreadful; August 24, 2017 at 09:25pm.
    PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
    Weekly hosted horror, sci-fi, suspense, and fantasy films!
    On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England

OFFICIAL WEBSITE
    http://www.shillingshockers.com

Quote Originally Posted by Penny Dreadful View Post
    I invented a nemesis for Count Chocula named Vanilla Helsing.
    That's great! That's the hardest I've laughed all week.

Your GM making use of the cereal monsters reminds me of one of the many stories I cooked up when I was a kid. I was constantly drawing, writing stories, and making my own comics, and one of them revolved around a plot by a bunch of monsters from every source I was aware of to create a spell that would make it Halloween in perpetuity, since they were at their greatest strength on Halloween night. In what was, to my seven year old mind, a brilliant twist, it would eventually be revealed that the mastermind behind the entire thing was Count Chocula, who had cultivated his goofy cereal spokesperson persona to ingratiate himself with humans to extend his reach and aid his plans. A bunch of my friends at school read my comics and stories, and I was sure that revelation would blow their minds!

Someone with good artistic talent needs to make a mock up of a Vanilla Helsing box! Both a modern style one and retro style!

Though I would imagine that if it was an actual cereal, it would essentially taste like Lucky Charms.

That's great! That's the hardest I've laughed all week.

Your GM making use of the cereal monsters reminds me of one of the many stories I cooked up when I was a kid. I was constantly drawing, writing stories, and making my own comics, and one of them revolved around a plot by a bunch of monsters from every source I was aware of to create a spell that would make it Halloween in perpetuity, since they were at their greatest strength on Halloween night. In what was, to my seven year old mind, a brilliant twist, it would eventually be revealed that the mastermind behind the entire thing was Count Chocula, who had cultivated his goofy cereal spokesperson persona to ingratiate himself with humans to extend his reach and aid his plans. A bunch of my friends at school read my comics and stories, and I was sure that revelation would blow their minds!
    That is an AMAZING premise!! I would totally read that!! Love it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OFFICIAL WEBSITE

Someone with good artistic talent needs to make a mock up of a Vanilla Helsing box! Both a modern style one and retro style!

Though I would imagine that if it was an actual cereal, it would essentially taste like Lucky Charms.
    Haha! Indeed! King Tamusk, you've gotta draw up Vanilla Helsing!! You should post your mockups here. I want Banana Bride to exist!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OFFICIAL WEBSITE

That's cool! I'll have to check that out!
    Yes, you will! Such fun nostalgic Monster commercials!

I vividly remember when Yummy Mummy came out, and was super excited when I saw the commercial for it. I got the cereal, and after my sisters and I gobbled it up, I cut out the pic of Yummy Mummy from the front of the box and saved it for several years. lol.
    lol, that's a great memory!

In the game, I invented a nemesis for Count Chocula named Vanilla Helsing. Since then, I've fantasized about what Vanilla Helsing cereal, and commercials, would be like. Make it happen General Mills! lol.
    Hahaha! That's brilliant!

Agreed! Tom's faux monster cereal designs are awesome!
    I would like to see these!

Haha, what a fun idea! I'd read it for sure!

Cool! Time for my annual stock-piling of Count Chocula!
    True Fact: I just finished my last box of Franken Berry from last year this week.

I always stock up every year since the boxes don't expire for about 14 months. You should have seen the look on the girl's face when I pulled my cart up to the register at Target with 20 boxes of Franken Berry last year.

That is an AMAZING premise!! I would totally read that!! Love it!

Quote Originally Posted by Mer-Man's Minion View Post
    Haha, what a fun idea! I'd read it for sure!
    Thanks! You may be able to read it at some point, actually. I've put some time into reworking the concept a bit with an eye toward making it one of my future novels, though obviously, I wouldn't be able to use Count Chocula in it. I'd have to come up with some sort of analogue, a la the Simpsons character Count Fudge-ula. I have two other novels in progress that I have to finish first, though, so it's still in a rough state. Maybe I can dig up some of my old drawings and stuff and post scans here in the meantime, I know I have them around here somewhere. (Still stored in my old Trapper Keeper, no less!)

Quote Originally Posted by Bonehead View Post
    You should have seen the look on the girl's face when I pulled my cart up to the register at Target with 20 boxes of Franken Berry last year.
    Hahaha! I would love to have seen that!

I know I have them around here somewhere. (Still stored in my old Trapper Keeper, no less!)
    Haha, awesome---I have an old Trapper Keeper too!

Penny Dreadful's brilliant "Vanilla Helsing" has me wondering what other monster cereals there could be...how about:

Sass Squash - squash-flavored cereal with pumpkin-flavored marshmallows shaped like big Sasquatch feet

Pigfoot - ham-flavored cereal with bacon-flavored marshmallows shaped like Bigfoot feet

Vegpire Bat - carrot-flavored cereal with pea-flavored marshmallows shaped like bats

Pearwolf - pear-flavored cereal with apple-flavored marshmallows shaped like werewolf heads

Witch Bagel - bagel-flavored cereal with cream cheese-flavored marshmallows shaped like witch hats

Headless Horseradish - roast beef-flavored cereal with horseradish-flavored marshmallows shaped like horses

Corn-on-the-Cobweb - corn-flavored cereal with butter-flavored marshmallows shaped like cobwebs

The Creature from the Black Licorice Lagoon (okay that's a bit long to type on a box, haha) - black licorice cereal with black licorice-flavored marshmallows shaped like fins, lol
    Last edited by Mer-Man's Minion; August 26, 2017 at 09:42am.

Pearwolf - pear-flavored cereal with apple-flavored marshmallows shaped like werewolf heads
    [/LIST]
    I think that's the only one I might actually wanna eat, though I do like all the punny names! Although I might get a wild hair and try a roast beef flavored cereal just to say I did, who knows?

The Creature from the Black Licorice Lagoon (okay that's a bit long to type on a box, haha) - black licorice cereal with black licorice-flavored marshmallows shaped like fins, lol[/LIST]
    That one would be right up my Mom's alley, she loves black licorice! It oogs me out big-time, though. I'd rather have Renfield for a roommate that eat that stuff.