Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Castlevania series (finally) coming to Netflix!

Castlevania series (finally) coming to Netflix!

I don't know if anyone has been following the trials and tribulations of the non-video game Castlevania franchise, but it seems that it is finally upon us. After numerous failed attempts to get the live-action Castlevania movie off of the ground, it was decided that an animated version, based on CV III, would be the answer. After many years in limbo, the animated movie was cancelled and the rights drifted from one studio to the next. No news was heard for a long, long time.

Then, recently, rumors started floating around about a Castlevania series being brought to a streaming service. Then it was leaked that Netflix had listed a show simply titled "Castlevania" in their Spring/Summer lineup. This is what we know:

The show is being helmed by producer Adi Shankar and written by comic book scribe Warren Ellis. Shankar told IGN that Ellis "added so much depth to the material."

Shankar suggests that this will be a "super violent" and "satirical" take on the vampire sub-genre. Shankar also describes the show as "Castlevania done in the vein of Game of Thrones," and that the show will be R-rated and the best video game adaptation we've had to date.

Frederator Studios, makers of Adventure Time, are behind the animation. The studio had previously stated that they were working on "a project right now that we’re doing that needs to go unnamed, based on one of the most world-famous video games of the last 30 years, that we’ve had in our shop for 12 years without being able to get it started."
    (From Den of Geek)

Check out the teaser:

And the poster:

I am pretty excited for this one. I have waited a long time for this news, and am quite pleased to see that the show is presumably aimed towards adults and not watered-down... I'm still not sure about the character designs, I'll need to see more before making a judgment, but so far I like the way Sypha and (I think) Grant look.

I can't wait!
    Where are the rest of my New Adventures Classics figures?!?!?

**Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** MUST complete the New Adventures Faction!!!**
    MOTUC NEEDS more TROLLANS !!!

I'm so stoke(r)d (not staked!) for this!

<3 the castlevania franchise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "We must always value life, even the life of one who opposes us." - He-man, The Power of the Evil Horde (Mattel 1985).
    "...I believe in the sanctity of all life." - He-man, "The Arena" (Filmation 1984)

As a fan of Warren Ellis the comic book writer I'll be giving this a watch.

Looks interesting but might be too serious.

Quote Originally Posted by InThe80s View Post
    Looks interesting but might be too serious.
    That isn't necessarily a bad thing. Most of the legends/folklore that Castlevania is comprised of are quite serious and horrific...

This series will be primarily based on the third NES Castlevania game, Dracula's Curse. In the game you play as Trevor Belmont and join others in a similar quest to kill Count Vlad Tepes, a.k.a. Dracula. The other hunters are Grant DaNasty - a pirate whose family succumbed to Dracula's curse, Sypha Belnades - a warrior priestess sent by the church, and Alucard - Dracula's own son. I am super excited to see how they handle this team and fill in their personal background stories. CV III is still revered by many long-time CV fans as one of the best games in the series... and it still holds up well today.

I'm just now seeing this!

I can't wait! Makes me want to go back and play the game before I see the show

I don't think this series would cater below 12, definitely late teen or adult shows, especially who grew up playing Castlevania. Don't expect your children or nephews going to like the gore, sword, and sorcery.

I'm game with this new revelation, I just hope it won't flop badly like other video game adaption on TV/Cinema. And Belmont is wearing pants.

NOT QUITE MY TEMPO

Widget
    I love classic Castlevania but man, I can't get behind Ellis. I heard about this project years ago and had kinda hoped it had faded away. With Ellis attached I can guarantee it's going to be 1) ultra-violent and angry, 2) politically and morally subversive, 3) philosophically nihilistic, and 4) intensely derisive of Christianity and religion. That said, I'll give it a chance at the very least, but I've had enough of my favorite nostalgic properties being deconstructed and used for the author's personal value platform.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Palidor View Post
    I love classic Castlevania but man, I can't get behind Ellis. I heard about this project years ago and had kinda hoped it had faded away. With Ellis attached I can guarantee it's going to be 1) ultra-violent and angry, 2) politically and morally subversive, 3) philosophically nihilistic, and 4) intensely derisive of Christianity and religion. That said, I'll give it a chance at the very least, but I've had enough of my favorite nostalgic properties being deconstructed and used for the author's personal value platform.
    I'm with you... I am NOT an Ellis fan. At all... I heard rumors about a Netflix series, and was disappointed that it was revealed to be animated... now that I hear Ellis behind it?!? Ughhh....

As for adult orientated and non-watered down??? It was a KIDS game. Average age when this came out was around 8. It can be a bit more detailed and serious... but C'mon... we don't need game of Thrones with a castlevania movie.

It's like claiming that Mario should be Rated R because of all the murdered mushrooms... Let's keep some of the FUN in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    As for adult orientated and non-watered down??? It was a KIDS game. Average age when this came out was around 8. It can be a bit more detailed and serious... but C'mon... we don't need game of Thrones with a castlevania movie.

It's like claiming that Mario should be Rated R because of all the murdered mushrooms... Let's keep some of the FUN in the world.
    Castlevania on the NES was a bit more mature than Mario, but still for kids, I'll "Grant" you, but recent adaptations have been mature, so the anime treatment, in the vein of Hellsing and Vampire Hunter D don't bother me.

As for what Ellis does with the values platform, we'll have to wait and see. The original Castlevania simply cited those elements of the gothic Catholic aesthetic it needed to create a mood, but more recent incarnations have given a deeper treatment to a religion that isn't 'quite' Christianity, so my inkling is to see how it goes before worrying.

Mostly I'm excited that this will drum up some support for the property, which Konami hasn't been been willing to do too much with lately (I'm thinking of the rejection of the NECA toyline license, etc).

"We must always value life, even the life of one who opposes us." - He-man, The Power of the Evil Horde (Mattel 1985).
    "...I believe in the sanctity of all life." - He-man, "The Arena" (Filmation 1984)

Castlevania is not light-hearted kids stuff, it hasn't really been since the start and certainly not since SOTN.

I didn't like the movie proposal, it was too compressed and cut Grant completely for "pacing", being expanded into a series has changed a lot of that and Grant is back in.

It could be much worse, remember this?

Quote Originally Posted by diosoth View Post
    Castlevania is not light-hearted kids stuff, it hasn't really been since the start and certainly not since SOTN.

I didn't like the movie proposal, it was too compressed and cut Grant completely for "pacing", being expanded into a series has changed a lot of that and Grant is back in.

It could be much worse, remember this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=de_J38gbSnA
    Well, we know Ornclown does!

(As a young'n, I loved that show! And Video Power! But we've come a long way!)

Quote Originally Posted by diosoth View Post
    Completely agree. Just because a game came out in 1986 for the Nintendo doesn't automatically make it a "kids" game... at the time it came out, it was considered to have a very serious tone. I mean, the hero dies at the end of the game for goodness' sake! (Until Konami realized they made a mistake and retconed Simon's death...) And some of the imagery throughout the game was considered quite disturbing at the time, i.e. undead, corpses, decapitated heads, the Grim Reaper (Death), piles of skulls, cross-laden coffins, etc..

Then, just look at the sequel. The player (Simon Belmont) is tasked with finding Dracula's body parts(!!) in order to stop a curse that is killing him, and burn them inside of the ruins of Castlevania. This game was also noted for its more mature themes, i.e. village women asking to meet you at night, topless harpies, dismembered eyeballs and hands, and, again, we get to see Simon fall over dead if our completion time is too long...

A far cry from jumping on Goombas...

Quote Originally Posted by Streamside View Post
    Well, we know Ornclown does!

(As a young'n, I loved that show! And Video Power! But we've come a long way!)
    LOL! Heck yeah I do! I still love Captain 'N!! I was petitioning on the official SSB4 website to get Keven Keene added as a DLC character (complete with his dog Duke and his trusty NES Zapper!)

I waited for sooooooo long to get action figures of these awesome Video Land characters.... but it never happened.

So, I had to make my own:

IMAG0610.jpgIMAG0611.jpgIMAG0612.jpg

Last edited by Ornclown; June 3, 2017 at 02:26am.

I remember this picture causing quite the uproar back in the day.

The designers wanted a darker Castlevania from the get go but the censors said no.

Quote Originally Posted by InThe80s View Post
    I remember this picture causing quite the uproar back in the day.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-JTr2hxjyTc...8_9-page-2.jpg

The designers wanted a darker Castlevania from the get go but the censors said no.
    Yes, this was only the second issue of Nintendo power magazine and the editors were receiving mail and phone calls from angry parents who claimed the cover image was too violent / disturbing...

Coincidentally, this was the issue that introduced me to Nintendo Power! Needless to say, I fell in love with the magazine (before the days of the interwebs, this was a prime source for info and secrets) and became a lifetime subscriber.

This is an interesting article.

Hopefully something comes out of it!

https://www.forbes.com/sites/ollieba.../#6a6339b33c23

The 8-bit games had their fair share of gore, and the 16-bit games went further. We didn't even get to see it all because the US imports had censorship in place. SOTN has topless statue son the loading screens and the game would be rated AO if the character art was more detailed, the succubus boss is effectively not fully clothed. There are naked succubus enemies in the GBA and DS games too, I'm really surprised NOA even allowed that through despite the low-res pixel art. There's heavy blood, skeletons, corpses and all that everywhere.

Weirdly enough, Komani seemed to be paying attention to Capatin N. Alucard had black hair but the cartoon gave him yellow hair. SOTN later gave him yellow hair. Reinhartd from Castevania 64 is also as close as they could likely get to Simon without having to pay Dic for likeness rights.

Some of the original designs had Belmont looking more like He-Man or Conan the Barbarian.

^ That's why I'm pretty much irked that Simong oing to use his pants instead of loincloth, Vampire Killer's cover? Best Barbarian video game cover art ever.

NOT QUITE MY TEMPO

Quote Originally Posted by Fendi View Post
    ^ That's why I'm pretty much irked that Simong oing to use his pants instead of loincloth, Vampire Killer's cover? Best Barbarian video game cover art ever.
    I completely agree with you on the cover artwork for the original NES/Famicom Castlevania/Akumajou Dracula:

But, to be fair, that isn't Simon Belmont in the Netflix series. This series is taking its inspiration from Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse, thus the protagonist is Trevor Belmont. (Even though Trevor was traditionally drawn sans pants as well...)

With that said, there have been an awful lot of awesome Castlevania heroes who like to cover up their legs too!!

Belmonts.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

New image from the upcoming Castlevania series!

This looks like Sypha, Trevor, and Alucard (almost in his SotN look...)

Another image of Sypha Belnades...

Netflix Castlevania series cast revealed!

https://www.comicbookmovie.com/horro...series-a152144

The COUNT-down begins!

5 Days!!

Can't wait! nice to see an adult animated show that isn't comedy despite i do love Bojack Horseman.

I've been a fan of the games since i was a kid and this show is a dream come true, this show should be like Vampire Hunter D 1 & 2 in a way.
    "You killed Captain Clown, YOU KILLED CAPTAIN CLOWN"-Joker.

3 days to go!!!!!!

And if you want to spoil your dinner, check this out...

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/201...urfaces_online

GUYS I LOVED IT SO MUCH!

No further thoughts or spoilers until you've all had a chance to watch it, though.

That was a very good start to the series now we just need Grant to complete the group, can't wait for the nest episodes.
    Loved every minute.
    Skeletor, if there's a good bone in you, send help!
    There isn't! Never has been, never will be.