Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Marvel Now Amazing Spider-Man #1 - *SPOILERS*

New Marvel Now Amazing Spider-Man #1 - *SPOILERS*

So against my better judgement I decided to pick this up (because there wasn't much else that I wanted or needed) just to see if it was better now that Peter is back.

Man was it boring.

The humor was very forced with Slott acting so desperate to show that this was indeed the real Peter back that he made sure that anything that could go wrong...did, for example Peter having to fight a bunch of criminals buck naked except for his mask and some undies he quickly makes for himself out of webbing. That would have been great but trust me, it is nowhere near as funny as it sounds.

The rest of the story was just Peter learning how Otto has changed his life, such as now being a Doctor and owning his own company and no longer being the "friendly neighborhood" spider-man and trying to figure out how to fit in to this new status quo, again much more interesting on paper then what is actually in the comic.

Then there is the art. It is very hit and miss with me. It has a nice, clean comic book style. It is the kind of art that normally appeals to me, but the problem is that the artist Humberto Ramos makes everyone look far too young, especially Otto / Peter's short-statured girlfriend Anna Maria Marconi who at the end of the (very short feeling) story tells Peter that she knows he is Spidey (having seen a naked Spider-Man on the news) and that she knows what he looks like naked as they have slept together. Now I have nothing against Peter sleeping with a short person (Okay it was actually Otto, not sure if Peter will have those kinds of feelings for her and quite frankly seeing as she was part of the Inferior comics I don't much care), the problem is that she looks like she is 12 or something. If you didn't know that she was supposed to be an adult you would think that a 12 year old girl has just told Peter that Otto slept with her while running around in his body. That is just sick.

There is also a bunch of back up stories;

One showcasing Electro as he goes for a drink at a supervillain bar which is as forgettable as the main story.

A Black Cat one showing what her stay was like in prison after Otto captured her and how she escapes and the fact she is looking for revenge.

A cartoony short with Spidey explaining to the readers how his powers and gadgets work (i guess that is for the really really REALLY new readers)

Spider-Man 2099 saves some ungrateful woman from muggers

Peter goes to Houston to see what his "brother" Kaine has been up to and is pleased to hear that he was a hero to them and despite turning into a spider monster was actually liked and wanted. This is personally my fave of the stories as I like the Kaine version of Scarlet Spider and I think it is nice that Peter thinks of him as his brother (instead of a failed clone of him created by a mad scientist)

Another look at Spider-Man's early wrestling career as seen through the eyes of a fan.

and a reprint of Inhuman #1 which was less sucky then the Amazing Spider-Man story but doesn't make me want to try and get #2

Now this story was actually in the free Guardians of the Galaxy issue but there is another Spider-Man story, this time a Shakespeare era one who is killed and "eaten" by Morlun which is setting up some future big event in which Morlun goes after ever Spider-Man in the "Spider-verse" and

Not only does it feel a little too Deadpool-ish but I HATE Morlun.

HATE HATE HATE HATE.

So issue #1 of Amazing Spider-Man combined with that story in FCBD GotG has already confirmed for me that Spider-Man (under the current ppl) continues to suck hard and will do for at least the next year (the Morlun thing will be starting in November)

I gave it shot but once again I am done with Spider-Man. Issue #2 I will NOT be buying

Really the only 2 good things were the Scarlet Spider short and the fact I got the Skottie Young variant as I love his baby marvel characters. The rest can all go to hell.
    Take a look at my attempts at coloring

and if you get the chance

Check out my Deviant Art Gallery

Court Magician
    Read it too. I despair at the quality of these comics today. The instant Spidey got naked and Anna Maria was clued into Peter's identity based on the sight of his you-know-what just dismayed me. Kids actually read this book? Seriously? Chuck in Felicia's powers causing people to die, thus assasinating her character, and MJ calling Peter an "idiot" and you just get some depressing material. I have no idea how they're going to clean up the damage Slott has done to this franchise over the last seven years outside of retconning OMD and erasing this all from the timeline. I keep holding out hope Spider-Verse will be the story to do just that but I'm not banking on it.

Fortunatly, I havent bought the comic in about ten or so years (gave up with "Sins Past"), and started reading the newspaper strip in 2008 and havent looked back since, not only is Peter way more settled and fun to read there, he isnt as hung up about guilt trips, he's still married to MJ, and recently he helped Daredevil apprehend the Kingpin and helped Tarantula depose the dictator of a foreign country before burying the hatchet with Jameson this week. Some really fine, albiet corny, stories on offer here. Track it down if you can.

Quote Originally Posted by Cameron Samurai View Post
    Read it too. I despair at the quality of these comics today. The instant Spidey got naked and Anna Maria was clued into Peter's identity based on the sight of his you-know-what just dismayed me. Kids actually read this book? Seriously? Chuck in Felicia's powers causing people to die, thus assasinating her character, and MJ calling Peter an "idiot" and you just get some depressing material. I have no idea how they're going to clean up the damage Slott has done to this franchise over the last seven years outside of retconning OMD and erasing this all from the timeline. I keep holding out hope Spider-Verse will be the story to do just that but I'm not banking on it.

Fortunatly, I havent bought the comic in about ten or so years (gave up with "Sins Past"), and started reading the newspaper strip in 2008 and havent looked back since, not only is Peter way more settled and fun to read there, he isnt as hung up about guilt trips, he's still married to MJ, and recently he helped Daredevil apprehend the Kingpin and helped Tarantula depose the dictator of a foreign country before burying the hatchet with Jameson this week. Some really fine, albiet corny, stories on offer here. Track it down if you can.
    so where do I find this newspaper strip? Because it sounds a lot more like the Spidey I like to read unlike that guy Slott writes about, who is not spidey no matter whose mind is in control.

Read it. Thought it was ok. I do miss the old Spidey comics though.....from when I was a kid.....

Court Magician
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfsfang View Post
    so where do I find this newspaper strip? Because it sounds a lot more like the Spidey I like to read unlike that guy Slott writes about, who is not spidey no matter whose mind is in control.
    Here ya go

http://www.oregonlive.com/comics-kin...e_id=Spiderman

Back in 2009, the strip revealed everything since Brand New Day started was a dream. Shows you how little Marvel care about their status quoe shake-ups really. If you know where to look, Peter's never been better.

Quote Originally Posted by He-Dad View Post
    Read it. Thought it was ok. I do miss the old Spidey comics though.....from when I was a kid.....
    I'm curous as to what your jumping off point was. While I said I gave up in 2004, my loyalty to the regular continuity actually died in 1998 when the first relaunch occured and the writing got worse. I loved the Clone Saga (one of few fans that do) and I became a big fan of Spider-Girl when it launched around 98 and stayed more loyal to that until it folded in 2010.

I also loved Spidey 2099.
    Last edited by Cameron Samurai; May 7, 2014 at 05:55pm.

Give me Shooter era Spider-Man.

-Stern's Spectacular/Amazing Spidey runs
    -DeFalco's first ASM run

I almost wanted to pick this up, but then remembered nothing's really changed in the staff so passed.

I have liked some of slotts stuff in the past, so I have a feeling he's not to blame here I still blame one person for all this.
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

Its too bad that Marvel can't seem to get most of its flagship characters right, when they're killing it on some of the smaller characters. They really have some terrific books out right now.

Thor and Hawkeye are consistently fantastic. And Moon Knight and Magneto are off to great starts.

Here ya go

http://www.oregonlive.com/comics-kin...e_id=Spiderman

Back in 2009, the strip revealed everything since Brand New Day started was a dream. Shows you how little Marvel care about their status quoe shake-ups really. If you know where to look, Peter's never been better.

I'm curous as to what your jumping off point was. While I said I gave up in 2004, my loyalty to the regular continuity actually died in 1998 when the first relaunch occured and the writing got worse. I loved the Clone Saga (one of few fans that do) and I became a big fan of Spider-Girl when it launched around 98 and stayed more loyal to that until it folded in 2010.

I also loved Spidey 2099.
    I actually never read regularly until the death of Spidey series in Ultimate Spiderman started and jumped off there with Miles. I then started getting Amazing Spiderman but jumped off with Doc Ock's take over. I was always a casual reader but I enjoy the older issues more than the newer ones. ld get quite a few as a kid in the late 80s early 90s. However late 90s early 2000s I only collected CHAOS! Loved me some Lady Death, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by He-Dad View Post
    I actually never read regularly until the death of Spidey series in Ultimate Spiderman started and jumped off there with Miles.
    Miles Morales as Spider-Man has been really terrific. Easily the best thing Bendis has done in a decade or more.

Quote Originally Posted by BCI Guy View Post
    Give me Shooter era Spider-Man.

-DeFalco's first ASM run
    Give me Shooter era Marvel PERIOD.

Best books ever put out IMO.

Im actually more of a DC guy as of late. The only titles Im current on are Dark Knight and Motu...well and Star Wars...the new one based on original script. As for Miles...I can't do any other Spiderman. No Ben no Miles no Spidey Ock. Guess Im a purist...lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonehead View Post
    Give me Shooter era Marvel PERIOD.

Best books ever put out IMO.
    Yup. And its not even close. Most of the 90s and beyond stuff that all seemed so cool at the time have aged horribly. But the Shooter era (1978-87) stuff is still great to this day.

-Claremont & Byrne's X-Men
    -Claremont & Smith's X-Men
    -Frank Miller's Daredevil
    -Byrne's FF
    -Simonson's Thor
    -Stern & Byrne's Captain America
    -Stern's Avengers run
    -DeFalco's first ASM run
    -Micheline/Layton/Romita Jr. Iron Man
    -Sienkiewicz on Moon Knight/New Mutants
    -Creation of Epic

Heroic Warrior
    I've been hit and miss on most comics the last few years. I think Civil War was when I pulled the plug on marvel...

Ohhh Actually I picked back up with Brand New Day.... I liked it a lot. I HATED the devil dealing storyline... but I liked where it picked up.

If only they had been more efficient with what/how the new world had played out. It was too... soft. Some of it happened, some of it couldn't... we don't know, we'll figure it out as we go.... basically the Spidey version of New 52.

The writing was good, but the framework was weak.

So I dropped it again.

Picked back up with the Superior Spiderman. SOUNDED like a stupide concept..... but I really enjoyed the story for what it was. Just a speed bump in the life of Peter Parker. There was never any doubt that it was temporary, It was just a rollercoaster ride to see how it ends...

Not like the Clone Saga.... /shudder.

Honestly, I've been looking around for spoilers to hear how that DID wrap up. I haven't bought comics in a while, and Barnes and Noble stoped stocking them

Sooooo How did they switch back??? what happened to ocks mind? They still sharing, or is ock 'super-dead' now?

Court Magician
    Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    Sooooo How did they switch back??? what happened to ocks mind? They still sharing, or is ock 'super-dead' now?
    Ock got in over his head battling the Goblin King, who had kidnapped his girlfriend, and Peter's "ghostly" data form, dormant since Issue Nine of Superior, finally resurfaced. Ock found a back-up file of Peter's memories tucked within one of his own and conceeded that Peter was the better of the two of them after all and willfully gives up control of Peter's mind and body back to Parker and allows himself to be "deleted", so Ock is dead again, although his body has vanished. If he's ever brought back, he probably won't retain any memory of these events, but you never know.

I thought it was a lame cop-out ending where Peter didnt exactly earn his body back and Ock got to outshine him on a moral level, and now Peter's left with picking up the scraps like running a company Ock founded and in a relationship with a woman he doesnt love. I don't read the comic for that kind of unrelatable nonsense, but hey, more power to those that get a kick out of it. It's just not how I prefer to see Peter.

Is it a crime to say I liked The Clone Saga? I only say that because it led to one of my favourite books ever, DeFalco's brilliant Spider-Girl

Quote Originally Posted by wyldman11 View Post
    I have liked some of slotts stuff in the past, so I have a feeling he's not to blame here I still blame one person for all this.
    Slott is a very peculiar person. Part of me thinks he's being forced to write the book a certain way by editorial, other times I think he's a willful team player given how much of an active public relations disaster he tends to be on forums, insulting anyone that criticizes his work. That said, I picked up the first issue of his "Learning to Crawl" serioes yesterday and loved it, I think he's better suited to writing stories of the character set back in the past rather than forging any stories that shape his present and future.
    Last edited by Cameron Samurai; May 8, 2014 at 05:49am.

I haven't read any posts he's made on forums, I try to avoid stuff like that for similar reasons. I know it can be frustrating when people are criticizing you for something when it's not really your fault and there isn't much you can say or do about it. Just like in retail when people start chewing out the person in front of them because of a warehouse shortage, truck breaks down bringing the goods etc.

I think the reason the marvel flagship characters are so hard to read is they are more micromanaged from editorial. Some writers can work great in these kind of circumstances others not so much. I hear how great many of those titles are, but they often get rotated out quickly because they aren't as popular. Of course people like me fearing they will then get micromanaged doesn't help. I have gone to looking to back issues to read though for my enjoyment of many of the marvel characters.
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

+2 Against Harpies Sword2Blanket's Avatar
    gave up with "Sins Past"
    I wish I would have given up then. That was such a heinous defiling of character and continuity. But I stuck around thinking nothing could possibly be worse than that. Then OMD came along and took it to whole new level of egregiously deplorable. What's it been, like ten years since that happened? Even after all this time, my brain still can't fully accept the totality of how horrible of an idea that was. It was just overwhelmingly bad. Even if there hadn't been these attrocious story line concepts lately like Ock-Spidey, I just don't think I could read Spider-Man again unless they undo OMD. I just can't.

Quote Originally Posted by wyldman11 View Post
    I haven't read any posts he's made on forums, I try to avoid stuff like that for similar reasons. I know it can be frustrating when people are criticizing you for something when it's not really your fault and there isn't much you can say or do about it. Just like in retail when people start chewing out the person in front of them because of a warehouse shortage, truck breaks down bringing the goods etc.

I think the reason the marvel flagship characters are so hard to read is they are more micromanaged from editorial. Some writers can work great in these kind of circumstances others not so much. I hear how great many of those titles are, but they often get rotated out quickly because they aren't as popular. Of course people like me fearing they will then get micromanaged doesn't help. I have gone to looking to back issues to read though for my enjoyment of many of the marvel characters.

From what I have read (mainly Slott himself) the whole body swapping idea was his and he had to get the others on board, so I am pretty sure he is too blame for that one.

Back when Marvel had their own forums people would post their legitimate complaints about Spider-Ock and how silly it was and how it tended to disrespect Peter as a character by having him say almost choosing to let a girl die so he can save himself and generally just writing Peter in a very bad / selfish manner while making Otto out to be some misunderstood person who is really all good and noble at heart and whose methods are actually better than Peter's because he actually gets the job done and...okay I am rambling.

But ppl posted these complaints in a civilized manner and Slott tended to get either dismissive or else downright hostile.

Then there was that interview he did where he was laughing about the fact he killed off Peter and that his was dead and buried and gone forever, sure that turns out to be a lie but he didn't have to be a complete and utter ass about it. In fact that is the worst part, I may have forgiving him for Spider-Ock once Peter was back in his body because I could quite happily skip that part of Peter's life (actually I did quite happily skip it) but Slott himself is a... well lets just say if GLaDOS was doing tests on Slott in Aperture Science she would say

Sorcerer of Night Lord_Of_Destruction's Avatar
    okay so Peter's got his body back from Ock. That's step one on the road to recovery. Let me know when he's got back together with MJ and then I'll start paying attention to the main comic. Meanwhile I'm off to the newspaper continuity.

Yes, even Clown 9 was better than this Brand New Day-Superior crap!
    "How I loathe heroes! Always getting in the way and acting so... so... heroic!"

please check out my fan fics at:

http://www.fanfiction.net/u/399417/

Just got Amazing Spider-Man #4 and URGH.

I don't like Silk, I not only hate the fact she seems to be better than Spidey despite being locked up in a room for years, but I also hate that she is yet another "chosen one" and that Spidey is (for no doubt mystical reasons) attracted to her and they even start making out on the side of a building.

Also Morlun is back and Ezekiel (kind of) and the whole Totem ******** that JMS introduced to Spider-Man which is absolutely detestable.

Actually this issue was so bad and the character of Silk (a total Mary Sue) so damn annoying that I am finding it hard to think anything but "Well done Slott, you once again showed why you suck as a Spider-Man writer"

Court Magician
    I think this is Slott's way of sticking it to JMS after that facebook skirmish they had a few years back (the gist of it was JMS pointed out the sales from 2008-2010 were crap compared to his sales, and he ticked off a lot of writers who worked on the title back then), he's using something JMS introduced to run down fan favourite Spidey characters in the multiverse and build up yet another irritable "perfect character" who, with the announcement that Silk will be Jessica Drew's sidekick in her new ongoing, is being rammed down our throats and we are told to be immediatly accepting of her. She won't even be a footnote in a few years. How many characters has Slott reintroduced or introduced in his run that have actually lasted? Kane's title was axed, Agent Venom's title was axed, Arana's title was axed, Alpha? Who remembers him?

I really want to think he's doing this on purpose knowing it's going to be retconned down the line. Everything in the book so far is as far from the relatable world of Spidey we're used to. Slott is clearly on autopilot heading into Spider-Verse and no longer cares what he does to reach certain plot points...actually, scratch that, he never cared in the first place, as his whole run in Superior showed.

I love the newspaper strip's current arc though...it's a brilliant middle finger to Superior Spider-Man.
    Last edited by Cameron Samurai; August 2, 2014 at 11:44am.

Read it too. I despair at the quality of these comics today. The instant Spidey got naked and Anna Maria was clued into Peter's identity based on the sight of his you-know-what just dismayed me. Kids actually read this book? Seriously?
    this is why, I think with at least the b ig two publishers, most people could care less about comics these days at Comic Con and are more interested in the entertainmen side of things...
    Geek Media -
    http://www.youtube.com/NTV1978

Geek Media Abridged - Packing Protons
    http://www.youtube.com/WPLJTV

Court Magician
    Very true. At this rate I wish Marvel would just fold their comics branch and just stick with the film and television medium, rather than continue to ruin the great characters and stories of yesteryear with routine assasination and nonsense stunts

I don't think they should stop making comics as I do like some of them. I just think that they need to drop a few of their writers who care more about stroking their ego and proving how "hip and now" they are then actually telling good stories or even having the characters act the way we fans know they should.

Oh and yes, at the top of the list of writers that need to go is Dan Slott. I also hope that JMS never gets to write another Spider-Man comic because until Slott made the vomit inducing "Superior Spider-Man" JMS had the honor of being (imo) the worst thing to happen to Spider-Man when he introduced all that mystic crap with Totems and Morlun and Spider Gods and "The Other"

So ya, some writers are doing fine, I think Yost's Scarlet Spider and New Warriors are great and Duggan has done well on Deadpool and Nova and (at least based on the first issue) Peter David is doing a good job with Spider-Man 2099 (tho it helps that he was the characters creator and thus knows how to write the guy), but other writers (like Slott) just need to go as they ruin any comic they get their slimy hands on.

Court Magician
    On reflection I did'nt really mean comics should fold, just me venting a bit too much...it's just all the best books from the company don't tend to last long because they have niche appeal. All my favourite Marvel books used to be the flagship titles, and they've all turned to ****.

Not a fan of Slott's Silver Surfer I take it? I like that, but then I like Bendis on Ultimate Spidey and detest his Avengers and X-Men work. I prefer Slott on the underlooked heroes, he tries harder to get them noticed and make them entertaining. Like I posted earlier, his Learning to Crawl series was good (although the latest issue was weak) so maybe when he has to rein himself in he can still be decent, he just should not be spear-heading Spidey's present and future, I maintain the only reason Marvel are letting him do what he's doing is that they are going to retcon the last seven years sometime soon

Quote Originally Posted by wolfsfang View Post
    Oh and yes, at the top of the list of writers that need to go is Dan Slott. I also hope that JMS never gets to write another Spider-Man comic because until Slott made the vomit inducing "Superior Spider-Man" JMS had the honor of being (imo) the worst thing to happen to Spider-Man when he introduced all that mystic crap with Totems and Morlun and Spider Gods and "The Other"
    Even though JMS's run has some of the dumbest mythology-wrecking twists in the franchise's long history (I am no fan of the totem stuff either), he still wrote Peter as more of an adult going through more beleivable things than anything seen since then. I can forgive JMS for a lot of stuff because his writing elevated the material far above it's station. When left in the hands of far more inferior writers, it's then those changes become intolerable.
    Last edited by Cameron Samurai; August 2, 2014 at 04:52pm.