Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Most annoying things about online habits..

Most annoying things about online habits..

There are just some things that bug me about online culture these days.

- Google snobs. No one is supposed to discover things through conversation anymore. you're all supposed to know it instantly, or look like a fool if you don't, because you didn't use google.

- Grammar nazi's. look, some of us just suck at it, OK? ;o)

- 'Haters going to hate'..... the most annoying new saying of 2014. usually said when someone voices an opinion that doesn't go with the group mob.

-Opinions no longer welcome..... in some groups, people are so overly sensative about saying anything even CLOSE to negative, that they come out and attack you even worse for saying it. "Don't be a hater....No negative things here...please stay positive". Don Rickles would never have survived in today's society.

-People only like you if you're always happy - I especially HATE people who have a perfect life, with a job they love, a good looking wife, healthy kid, on top of the world...and then call you sad for hating how your life can't seem to get on track. pardon me for not being perfect ;o).

any other habits you see online that just make it ten times more annoying to be online than it was in 2000?
    Last edited by Shredder; July 19, 2014 at 11:47am.
    Geek Media -
    http://www.youtube.com/NTV1978

Geek Media Abridged - Packing Protons
    http://www.youtube.com/WPLJTV

Court Magician
    Chatting to someone on Facebook and them abruptly stopping and then taking sometimes a week to respond to a joke or a question. Sometimes you have to end up kick-starting an entirely fresh conversation to remind them you exist.

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    Quote Originally Posted by Shredder View Post
    any other habits you see online that just make it ten times more annoying to be online than it was in 2000?
    Deriding the internet while on the internet...

"Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

Quote Originally Posted by Benedict Judas Hel View Post
    Deriding the internet while on the internet...

http://redsarmy.typepad.com/.a/6a011...9adf970b-450wi
    hi-yo! yes! ah ha ha
    Geek Media -

Über Fan Adam_Prince of Eternia's Avatar
    Google snobs. No one is supposed to discover things through conversation anymore. you're all supposed to know it instantly, or look like a fool if you don't, because you didn't use google.
    The difference is that when one is communicating online, he has access to a means of research, and is able to consider the available information about a given subject before forming and expressing an opinion.

Grammar nazi's. look, some of us just suck at it, OK? ;o)
    If English is the native language of a job applicant, hiring managers often consider incorrect spelling and grammar to be a disqualifier for consideration for an open position, because the rules of spelling and grammar are both fixed and finite, and the inability or unwillingness to learn and follow them reflects a poor attention to detail or work ethic.

'Haters going to hate'..... the most annoying new saying of 2014. usually said when someone voices an opinion that doesn't go with the group mob.
    The phrase “haters gonna hate” was first documented in the 3LW song “Playas Gon’ Play” in the year 2000.

Opinions no longer welcome..... in some groups, people are so overly sensative about saying anything even CLOSE to negative, that they come out and attack you even worse for saying it. "Don't be a hater....No negative things here...please stay positive". Don Rickles would never have survived in today's society.
    The value of an opinion is entirely dependent on context; who is the person offering the opinion in relationship to the person who is receiving it, how knowledgeable is the person who is offering the opinion about the subject in question, why should the person who is receiving the opinion care what the person who is offering it thinks, etc.

People only like you if you're always happy - I especially HATE people who have a perfect life, with a job they love, a good looking wife, healthy kid, on top of the world...and then call you sad for hating how your life can't seem to get on track. pardon me for not being perfect ;o).
    People who complain and are pessimistic are unpleasant with to converse and spend time.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam_Prince of Eternia View Post
    If English is the native language of a job applicant, hiring managers often consider incorrect spelling and grammar to be a disqualifier for consideration for an open position, because the rules of spelling and grammar are both fixed and finite, and the inability or unwillingness to learn and follow them reflects a poor attention to detail or work ethic.
    This is so true. And we are soon going to be using "get" and "got" and idioms to express every thought and emotion, a complete breakdown of the language reduced to an idiocracy.
    My seller/trader/buyer feedback:
    http://he-man.org/forums/boards/showthread.php?t=195461

MOTUC Most Wanted: 1) Stridor 2) Night Stalker 3) Squeeeze 4) Roton 5) Multi-Bot 6) Dragstor 7) Saurod 8) Blast-Attak 9) Karg 10) Lodar 11) Mask of Power Demons 12) TC Skeletor 13) FF He-Man 14) Talon Fighter/Point Dread 15) Road Ripper 16) Lord Masque 17) Filmation Teela

The difference is that when one is communicating online, he has access to a means of research, and is able to consider the available information about a given subject before forming and expressing an opinion.

The phrase “haters gonna hate” was first documented in the 3LW song “Playas Gon’ Play” in the year 2000.

The value of an opinion is entirely dependent on context; who is the person offering the opinion in relationship to the person who is receiving it, how knowledgeable is the person who is offering the opinion about the subject in question, why should the person who is receiving the opinion care what the person who is offering it thinks, etc.

People who complain and are pessimistic are unpleasant with to converse and spend time.
    Curse you! Beaten!

Although I will say that it depends on HOW optimistic or pessimistic one is. I can be pessimistic, though over the last few years I think I've gotten a little more realistic.
    Basically, if you're SO pessimistic that EVERYTHING IS TERRIBLE 100% of the time, you do in fact, become a buzzkill. You make everyone else start to feel crappy, or in some
    cases guilty for not feeling as bad. Conversely, if you're SO optimistic that EVERYTHING IS WONDERFUL 100% of the time then people think you're oblivious to anything nefarious.
    You'll overlook glaring flaws, and red flags. People won't want to be around you either because anything that seems even remotely critical doesn't mesh with your hyper sensitivity.

If you're one or the other 60% of the time people see you as a more balanced person.

Also;

I can't help but nitpick over grammar. I really get mad at myself when I post a blog article, only to find 4 minutes later I misspelled a word. Or
    failed to use punctuation properly. Or messed up in some other way. True, I can try to fix it after the fact. But it went live, so someone, somewhere probably
    noticed it already. Thus, I look like a complete idiot.
    The Deviot
    -------------------------
    "No matter how hot you think they are, Someone. Somewhere. Is tired of their crap."

-?

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Mine is the keyboard warrior. I love these cowards. These "internet tough guys" hide behind the anonymity of the internet and think they can be rude to anyone since you'll never know where they live or who they really are. The only real threat they face is being silenced by a moderator or web site owner.

Some people aren't going to know everything or research it before making an opinion. If people are wrong, you can easily correct them.

Personally, I think frequenting the internet is no excuse for letting your language skills deteriorate. Retain SOMETHING from school...

Depends on who the complainer is conversing with. It could be a fellow who agrees with the complaints...
    Last edited by MegaGearMax; July 20, 2014 at 08:56am.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

Are you joking with your post?

The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...

Oh, and it's Grammar Nazis (plural), not Grammar Nazi's (possessive)...
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

skewl? what is this...skewl?

I almost forgot the most perplexing thing of the internet..... "FIRST!"
    Geek Media -

I almost forgot the most perplexing thing of the internet..... "FIRST!"

Also, the FIRST meme is bragging rights. In many cases it also means the first reply was on the money. It infers that the thread should be
    closed because the answer has been summed up in one reply.
    The Deviot
    -------------------------
    "No matter how hot you think they are, Someone. Somewhere. Is tired of their crap."

-?

I'm not sure but from what I heard it's a place where girls don't talk to you and chances are you are unpopular resulting in you getting picked on.

Über Fan Adam_Prince of Eternia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    Some people aren't going to know everything or research it before making an opinion. If people are wrong, you can easily correct them.
    How do those people form opinions? How do they draw conclusions about something they are not informed about?

I think the frustration of "Google snobs" is that these people feel entitled to share and have their opinions given equal consideration to those of people who bothered to know what they are talking about.

I'm willing to let go on many points of grammar, but only when the meaning of the text is ridiculously obvious. Typing has become something just about EVERYONE does, so short-hand tricks are going to emerge no matter what you do. It also means people aren't always going to get the little things like "your" and "you're", but if you can understand the context of their sentence and correct their "your/you're" without even thinking about it....then you already got their message. The sentence was a success whether you like it or not - you understood it.

Now, of course, I'm only talking about forums and instant messages. If you're going to publish something (be it professional or just your own blog) you should strive to fix and understand any and all errors. They're still gona happen, but if it's a blog format, there's no reason to get angry if someone points out a mistake. Thank them and correct it, 'cause you missed something, and it happens.

On the other side of the coin: I hate when people don't really get what a grammar Nazi IS. Someone creates this run-on sentence, completely devoid of punctuation and making it a terror to read. You really don't bother to parse it (it takes way too much effort) and tell them so....then they call you a grammar Nazi. Heck, I couldn't even get through it to find out if your grammar was terrible! You gotta start with the PUNCTUATION FIRST. Make me WANT to read what you wrote! That's a major part. You can fight it all you want, but no one will read your writing if it's TOO MUCH of a mess. It's just more work than necessary.

That's where I draw my line. If I got your message and you're just freakin' commenting in youtube...then who cares if your grammar is missing a few things. I understood it; that's all that matters. However, in that same youtube comment section: if you're trying to have an argument and keep coming back with sentences that take ridiculous effort to understand, then FIX IT. Fix it before I will talk to you! Otherwise it's not worth it.
    "Since you got here by not thinking, it seems reasonable to expect that, in order to get out, you must start thinking." ~ Tock, the Watchdog

Alexx has a blog?! Come on in and check out Toys and Tomfoolery! You won't regret it...until the next morning.

Spilling over into the real world is when it bugs me. Like when kids say LOL or OMG. Text speak is not to use offline! If something is funny jus laugh. If you say LOL you are a liar as you are obviously not.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexx View Post

That's where I draw my line. If I got your message and you're just freakin' commenting in youtube...then who cares if your grammar is missing a few things. I understood it; that's all that matters. However, in that same youtube comment section: if you're trying to have an argument and keep coming back with sentences that take ridiculous effort to understand, then FIX IT. Fix it before I will talk to you! Otherwise it's not worth it.
    it's the people who argue over the little things that bug me. Although people who you have to re-wire your brain to understand on YT bug me as well ;o).

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by TheDeviot View Post
    Also, the FIRST meme is bragging rights. In many cases it also means the first reply was on the money. It infers that the thread should be
    closed because the answer has been summed up in one reply.
    I still don't get it though. what's so great about bragging rights in being the first person to reply to something? Maybe if threads they read somehow got to over 4,000 replies, I get it. Even that is stretching it though.
    Geek Media -

Ah yes, the "Grocer's Apostrophe," or in this case, the Nazi Grocer
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from iOS app

Overmoderation (if that's a word) is my biggest gripe.
    "The better you get at this job, the more dangerous it becomes."

Heroic Warrior
    I'd rather spend sone time with Larry David than, say, Ned Flanders.

Heroic Warrior Eternian-King Paul's Avatar
    I could go on about this, but my post will likely be deleted...

Quote Originally Posted by Eternian-King Paul View Post
    I could go on about this, but my post will likely be deleted...

People spelling how they talk (particularly younger people)

"I want to come to the movie to (too)"
    "my friend n (and) I r (are) gonna (going) to come over"

Little stuff like that bugs me to no end. 'I'll just type it into google'-I don't have to know anything anymore, my phone does it all for me now.

One more, not really an online habit, But I guess technically it is.
    I see a group of people/family out to dinner and everyone is on their phones texting or facebook-whatever it is. You know, the people you are with are the ones you should be communicating with. I've never understood that. If you are texting someone else-maybe you should have brought them along. Put down your phones for 5 mins. yikes!

Rant over.

I'm 32 and I feel like an old man complaining!

Master of New Adventures!
    The 'n' in Nazis should have been capitalized as it's a proper noun and there should not have been an apostrophe before the 's' because you intended it to be plural, not possessive. The 'l' in the word 'look' in the immediately following sentence should have been capitalized as 'look' is the first word in a sentence. There is no 'a' in the spelling of the word ' sensitive'. And...

Oops! I guess I'm who you're talking about.

- Google snobs. No one is supposed to discover things through conversation anymore. you're all supposed to know it instantly, or look like a fool if you don't, because you didn't use google.

- 'Haters going to hate'..... the most annoying new saying of 2014. usually said when someone voices an opinion that doesn't go with the group mob.

-Opinions no longer welcome..... in some groups, people are so overly sensative about saying anything even CLOSE to negative, that they come out and attack you even worse for saying it. "Don't be a hater....No negative things here...please stay positive". Don Rickles would never have survived in today's society.

-People only like you if you're always happy - I especially HATE people who have a perfect life, with a job they love, a good looking wife, healthy kid, on top of the world...and then call you sad for hating how your life can't seem to get on track. pardon me for not being perfect ;o).

Last edited by Heeeere's Olesker!; July 22, 2014 at 06:10pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Heeeere's Olesker! View Post
    The 'n' in Nazis should have been capitalized as it's a proper noun.
    Very good. I never would have caught that; but I try.