Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Off Topic: DC Universe Total Heroes

Heroic Warrior

Off Topic: DC Universe Total Heroes

I don't really know where to stick a thread about these figures, but as they're being sold on Matty, I was wondering what people's thoughts on them are? Having seen the Black Manta figure up on Matty and the in package/out of package pics, I may get him. I wonder if this is the direction they're going to be taking DCUC releases in the future? Making them a part of this line rebranded?
    Good Traders:
    fbiagentcooper, The_Donster, Captain Miro, Satonic, grimghost, robb

Randor Grizzlor Lovechild bigassbuzz's Avatar
    Thread moved to "other discussions" in 3...2...1...

But I LOVE this new line. GREAT retail price point at $10. Great quality and sculpts for the younger audience. Makes Marvel Mashems look like romper-room kiddy toys. They've been sold out at every retail store except the pricey $15 TRU pegs, which remain full. I missed the John Stewart deluxe figure, but hope to gather the rest of these releases for the Hyve. Batman looks really good.
    Thanks Mangs.
    -Buzz out
    www.hyveofvillainy.com - Evil Action Figures

My ORG FEEDBACK is here.

Heroic Warrior
    Yeah, I wasn't quite sure where to open it. Lol.

I think I may get the Black Manta. He looks, more or less, in the same scale as DCUC. I wonder if maybe this will be a way to get the rest of the Flash rogues out in plastic form.
    Good Traders:

Heroic Warrior
    I have Green Lantern Hal Jordan and sinestor and John Stewart/GL Corps oversized.

They are nice. not a big fan of their popeye/minecraft hybrid forearms.

As for that Black Manta. It's eh.

I really love them. I love the style and the chunkiness of them. They also keep battle poses really well. I have most all of them, now. TRU keeps raising the prices on them, which is ridiculous. I'm hoping we get Wonder Woman and Lex that we saw at Toy Fair.

Really looking forward to all of the upcoming Matty ones, too. Black Manta looks cool in-package:

Jon, did Mattel actually show a Wonder Woman? I missed her somehow!

I like this line too. I have the Batman and really like him, but I really don't want to get into another DC line that Mattel sort of treats as a one and done kind of thing. I like this stylized look, and both it and the Marvel Mash-ups remind me of my beloved G.I. Joe: Sigma 6 toys.
    Looking for movie reviews, geek news, and other such nonsense? Check out my site: http://www.thepicreview.com/

"We have a Ram-Man"

Quote Originally Posted by Barbecue17 View Post
    Jon, did Mattel actually show a Wonder Woman? I missed her somehow!
    Yep! Here as their Total Heroes display:

Not bad. I hope they do release her sooner rather than later!
    Looking for movie reviews, geek news, and other such nonsense? Check out my site: http://www.thepicreview.com/

"We have a Ram-Man"

grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar
    I was hesitant on these when I first saw them, but they are decent, solid toys. Lots of painted detail so as to re-use the same molds endlessly, but it is Mattel, so what else would one expect? It doesn't really hurt most of the figures, honestly, and the simple style actually lends itself to that approach, so I don't see it as a major minus. The Superman head sculpt is horrible, but everyone else seems to translate into the style pretty well. I got the Stewart set, and grabbed a couple extra Hal's from retail to use the extra heads and hands (there was apparently no changes to the actual body to make Stewart's parts interchangeable; boil and pop the head and hands off Hal, and the new parts pop in perfectly. Only thing is you do have to paint in the neck to get rid of the flesh tone there).

It's a huge step down from DCUC, but it's more or less intended to be. They are aimed at a cheaper price point for retail and appealing to kids, so the downgrade is actually the marketing strategy. For what they are, they're fine, and they have enough articulation to pose in some good action scenes.

My one real concern was that Mattel would adhere to their usual "no icky girls!" dogma; nice to see from Wonder Woman that maybe, just maybe, they are starting to enter the 20th century on that count...
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

I like these but their cost is slowly rising. They aren't worth anything over $11.

Quote Originally Posted by scott metzger View Post
    I got the Stewart set, and grabbed a couple extra Hal's from retail to use the extra heads and hands (there was apparently no changes to the actual body to make Stewart's parts interchangeable; boil and pop the head and hands off Hal, and the new parts pop in perfectly. Only thing is you do have to paint in the neck to get rid of the flesh tone there).
    Did that actually work? Scott said the retail figures aren't compatible with the Ultra figures.

I like 'em so far! Simple and playable. Easier to get ahold of, and cheaper! I'm also a fan of the animated design. Lots of good stuff coming up.

So far I've only bought Batman and the Matty John Stewart, but it looks like I'll be getting Manta as well! I'm really looking forward to Batman Beyond, and that Mr. Freeze is lookin' pretty awesome as well.
    "Since you got here by not thinking, it seems reasonable to expect that, in order to get out, you must start thinking." ~ Tock, the Watchdog

Alexx has a blog?! Come on in and check out Toys and Tomfoolery! You won't regret it...until the next morning.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonehead View Post
    I like these but their cost is slowly rising. They aren't worth anything over $11.
    Did that actually work? Scott said the retail figures aren't compatible with the Ultra figures.
    They are easy to swap. They weren't made to swap, but it isn't hard.
    Also, I'm not sure the cost IS rising. TRU keeps jacking them up artificially, but I think that's just TRU being TRU.

Yeah, my TRU has these and the Multiverse figures at 14.99 each. They also have the 1966 Batman figures at 22.99. Sheesh!

"We have a Ram-Man"

when and where did the john stewart come out?? I'm thinking of getting the black manta today, first time they ever had a maskless version no? I wish he looked more like he did in Young Justice - that said i'd go NUTS if they did a YJ Aqualad in this line...while i'm dreaming big i'll win the lotto tomorrow as well.
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

Quote Originally Posted by krosfyah View Post
    when and where did the john stewart come out??
    He was the March Matty exclusive figure.

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Canada View Post
    He was the March Matty exclusive figure.
    dang.
    thanks for the info!!

Can't even find him on ebay!!! wow!
    nice to see he's popular though.
    Last edited by krosfyah; June 12, 2014 at 11:13am.
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

Heroic Warrior
    I pulled the trigger on Black Manta today.

How do these guys compare to the DCUC figures? Too bulky or about the right size ratio? Hopefully if they sell well Mattel will put out a complete set of Flash rogues....
    Good Traders:

LOVE the Black Manta figure. Probably my favorite of these figures yet. So many cool options with the different hands and weapons. I love how the weapons attach at the back, too. I love this line. Bizarro and Mr. Freeze are supposed to be out this month or next, rolled into the assortment mix, I think. I think Wonder Woman is coming in August or so.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonehead View Post
    Technically true (especially when you want to sell more of the ultras. right? ), as the hands and heads on the regular figures don't just pop off, you have to heat them. To clarify what I meant about the body not changing, I think it's the molds for the hand's peg and head's hole (and possibly a softer plastic to allow for the popping on and off) that allow the interchanging; the holes in the forearms and the neck joint on the torso look identical between Hal and John. But aside from the painting of the neck, I made no modifications to anything sticking Tomar and Green Man pieces on the Hal Jordan body after heating the Hal head and hands to pop them off (and even that was surprisingly easy). Pick up some Christmas Green acrylic paint at the craft department at Walmart for the neck painting (perfect color match; add a thin coat of Elmer's glue over it to take away the matte finish and it's hard to tell it's painted even close up) and you've basically got three figures for the price of two ultras.
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

So this guy's spear heads come off to some useless effect, or so I thought. They come off and come apart, which seemed kinda lazy. I knew they couldn't have been that lazy, so I tried some things out and found out why they do that:

Ha-HA! They fit perfectly on the ends of the two pronged thing. It's obvious they were made for that, as there's little slots on the inside that line up with it exactly. I'm glad they worked in something like this! I feel like this line should have more modular weapons like this.
    "Since you got here by not thinking, it seems reasonable to expect that, in order to get out, you must start thinking." ~ Tock, the Watchdog

Alexx has a blog?! Come on in and check out Toys and Tomfoolery! You won't regret it...until the next morning.

I don't think they are at all bad for what they are, if I didn't have so much of the characters I want from DCUC I would pick some up.

Only thing that is almost upsetting they cost almost as much as DCUC when it first came out.
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

Quote Originally Posted by Alexx View Post
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...200/Manta1.png

So this guy's spear heads come off to some useless effect, or so I thought. They come off and come apart, which seemed kinda lazy. I knew they couldn't have been that lazy, so I tried some things out and found out why they do that:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...200/manta2.png

Ha-HA! They fit perfectly on the ends of the two pronged thing. It's obvious they were made for that, as there's little slots on the inside that line up with it exactly. I'm glad they worked in something like this! I feel like this line should have more modular weapons like this.
    That's awesome! I had no idea!

I've had Black Manta for a week now and honestly I love him. I wish the retail figures were shown as much love as these Matty Ultra figures. I'd rather pay a few extra dollars and get all of these extras the Ultras get.

I know a lot of DC fans loathe this line but I think it's great.

Just happened to spot a new item on Amazon; it's a three pack with regular Supes, black costume Batman, and Lex Luthor in battle suit. Hadn't heard or seen anything of this before.

Oh, nice, it's back up?! Thanks! I just ordered one. It popped up before but sold out pretty quickly. It was announced at Toy Fair with the other new stuff. You can see it to the far right in the Toy Fiar pics above.
    --------
    Now that I have him in hand I really like Luthor! He's really well engineered. I also thought it was interesting the put spring loaded panels in the gauntlets where you can put the gun instead of just a hole. Just an interesting choice for a budget line. Bats looks pretty awesome in black, and Superman's symbol is painted better than any I saw single packed. The yellow is solid and bright. All the others I've seen looked greenish.

1503983_10103873382377480_7133138014200795722_n.jpg
    10473815_10103873382108020_6150208107735050174_n.jpg
    10511298_10103873382437360_5967834360683298072_n.jpg
    10550901_10103873381813610_5874257708423573595_n.jpg
    10458872_10103873382527180_6315233704972600951_n.jpg