Thread: Filmation had a plan for a feature film library in the 80s

Heroic Warrior

Filmation had a plan for a feature film library in the 80s

In early 1985, Filmation announced plans to produce a series of 12 animated films under the umbrella title of "Filmation's New Classics Collection They were to be feature-length stories to be distributed in theaters, on video and then sold for television broadcast and possible spin-off series. The titles were: "The New Adventures of Pinnocchio", "Snow White: The New Adventures", "Rumplestilskin's return", "Time Machine II: The Man Who Saved the Future", "Red Riding Hood and the great Wolves". "20 Million Leagues Across the Universe", "Frankenstein Lives Again!", "The Further Adventures of Gulliver", "", "L. Frank Baum's The Life and Adventures of Santa Claus", "New Tales of Arabian Nights" and "Alice Through the Looking Glass" and in the end, only the first two titles saw production, as Pinocchio and the Emperor of the Night (1987) (Formerly The New Adventures of Pinocchio) and Happily Ever After" (Formerly Snow White the New Adventures, Snow White in the Realm of Doom).

I would had loved to see their own take on Rumplestilkin or a PG-rated dark Frankenstein feature in the tradition of Vampire Hunter D, that 20 Million Leagues Across the Universe was gonna be a sci-fi take on a classic book and sounded promising.
    "You killed Captain Clown, YOU KILLED CAPTAIN CLOWN"-Joker.

I guarantee Frankenstein was going to be nothing like Vampire Hunter D.

I've seen the 2 movies that came out (and the rest of the Filmation library)...

I'd still want to see them, but I'd expect they'd all be much more kid friendly than what you'd hope for.

Heroic Warrior
    Well it could had been something along the lines of a dark horror fantasy adventure like that film or is Vampire Hunter D more intended for adults? and with a PG rating for scary/dark stuff and with John Hurt as Dr Henry Frankenstein with Pat Hingle as the Monster with Alice Cooper as the villain's voice. The story would be that people thought the monster was dead as he is still alive and his master Dr Henry Frankenstein who gets kidnapped by a demonic wizard who wants to use him to create monsters to take over the world so the wizard can have humanity's souls as the monster would be the hero as he would fight werewolves, vampires, demons and all that. Now that could had been Filmation's finest movie and their darkest creation since Pinocchio and The Emperor of the Night.

Pinocchio and The Emperor of the Night i saw at the movies as a kid and it terrified the hell out of me even that infamous memorable scene where the title's minion henchman turns Pinocchio back into a puppet which was scary as hell and that was Filmation's best film ever as it was a labor of love to see Filmation do actual animation than just recycled animation including gutiest/darkest film which scared alot of kids back then and almost got away with a PG rating. Kino who will release some Lakeshore entertainment/New World Pictures on blu-ray like Making Contact to No Retreat No Surrender soon must release Pinocchio and the Emperor of the Night next year in a SE blu-ray with new HD transfer, interview with Erika Scheimer, audio commentary by Robby London writer and a few Filmation animators, trailers, tv spots and poster-and-still gallery as it could make any filmation fan's dream come true as it never had a US DVD nor a blu-ray release, the film is a cult fave you know.

The 80s was a time for dark Sci-fi and fantasy animation like Black Cauldron, The Last Unicorn, The Dark Crystal (yes it is animation in some way with puppets), The Secret of NIMH, The Flight of Dragons, Heavy Metal, Transformers The Movie, Fire and Ice, Wicked City, Akira, Vampire Hunter D, Starchaser, Unico 1 & 2 and so on, Pinocchio and the Emperor of the Night fits in that category of 80's dark animation.

Happily Ever After was ok i thought when i rented it as i'm a filmation fan as i think it's kind of soft compared to the other fairy tale film they did and kind of light hearted but didn't had the edge or heart of the other film. Yet Malcom Mcdowell was decent as Lord Maliss but the villain was weak compared to Emperor who was the coolest filmation bad guy ever.
    Last edited by HarryCanyon; July 20, 2016 at 12:30am.
    "You killed Captain Clown, YOU KILLED CAPTAIN CLOWN"-Joker.

You're not ever going to get a new HD transfer of any Filmation show or movie.

Its not possible. All of the original masters were destroyed after Hallmark digitized the library. And unfortunately, they used a "scrubbing" software to remaster everything. What it did was take out the dust and scratches, but it also removed a lot of the finer detail lines. And it was scanned at too low of resolution to do anything other than a poor upconvert to fake HD.

And as much as you'd want those movies to be dark, Lou was not really a fan of that kind of stuff, so it likely wasn't going to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    Until we know more about what is actually there, I still consider them to be non-existent...

grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar
    I doubt they would have done anything too dark, but I imagine the Frankenstein would have likely been a serious take, more along the lines of the well done Flash Gordon movie for NBC than the more kid friendly stuff.
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman