Thread: The Houseplants Thread

"Oh dearie my!" Mer-Man's Minion's Avatar

The Houseplants Thread

I love having houseplants, but I'm more successful with some than with others. That being said, I have two questions that I wonder if anyone here may input on. I have several philodendrons (the "green" variety), and most of them do pretty well, but sometimes I see, as in this first photo, yellowing of a leaf (circled in white on the left), and also sometimes I see healthy-looking green shoots and leaves that are growing out of what looks like a brown dead stem (circled in white on the right). Can anyone explain these two things? I figure the yellowing may be from over or underwatering, but the stem thing has me baffled.

Then in the 2nd photo, you'll see a pothos ("Marble Queen" variety), and I tried one before but it seemed way too sensitive for me to take care of. But I couldn't pass up the beauty of this variety. Well, dang it if it it's not doing what my previous one did---quick and easy yellowing/browning of leaves. Again, not sure if that may be from over-or-underwatering.

I will say the philodendron is in soil only, but the pothos has gravel in the bottom of it to assist in water drainage, on advice I heard somewhere. I don't understand though, how can home improvement places like Lowe's and Home Depot keep lush-looking houseplants if they, I assume, water them every day? I don't know how that works.

Anyway...any advice?

Philodendron Green.jpgMarble Queen Pothos.jpg
    Muppet fans, if you like Janice of The Electric Mayhem, check out: Janice: "Fer sure!"

I also cannot figure out the problem this philodendron is having, Mer-Man's Minion.
    Hypermarkets like Tesco sell houseplants too, but I am sure that the personnel water them everyday.
    Try to reach inside of me, try to drain my energy
    Let me show you just what I'm made of
    Simple curiosity trying to take a bite of me
    Let me show you just what I'm made of now...

"Oh dearie my!" Mer-Man's Minion's Avatar
    The philodendrons (the totally green ones) for the most part do pretty well. The green and white one, the "Marble Queen" pothos, I knew was a risky buy because I never had luck with pothos at all before, but it was so beautiful I couldn't pass it up. Maybe they like more water than I thought? After all, they are tropical plants, and I think places like Lowe's and Home Depot water their plants practically every day?

Also, this is the first time I've used gravel in the bottoms of any my houseplants before, and I think that is helping (the philodendron pictured does not have gravel, only soil, but the Marble Queen pothos does have gravel).
    Muppet fans, if you like Janice of The Electric Mayhem, check out: Janice: "Fer sure!"