Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: MOTUC and Chase Figures

Heroic Master of Sleep Lay Ze-Man's Avatar

MOTUC and Chase Figures

Given the somewhat confusing nature of the chase figure discussion at the MotU SDCC panel, this thread is for everyone to express their views on the possibility of chase figures.

I think that chase figures could be cool if handled the right way.

As was made very clear by the fans at the panel, Faker as a chase figure is a terrible idea.
    Faker definitely needs his own release--if not a monthly slot, a separate exclusive, or maybe a sign-up bonus figure for subscriptions if they offer them!

Now, the idea of Trap Jaw Mini-Comic style repaint is IMO not a bad idea for a chase variant--as was described, randomly inserted into 15-20% of the run--but Mini-Comic Trap Jaw should definitely NOT be a separate monthly figure.

So what happens if you want regular Trap Jaw and you get the Mini-Comic repaint you didn't want?
    Well, since there's a limit of 2 figures, the second one you'd order would almost certainly not be another chase figure, and you'd more than be able to get your money back on the secondary market.

The only thing I'd be careful about is if Mattel makes figures that are too desirable for collectors to be relegated to chase status. For example Mattel's Dark Knight line, the Christian Bale head variant is a bad choice because a lot of fans want the option of owning one without paying an arm and a leg.

Similarly, I think if Wonder Bread He-Man were made a chase figure it would certainly anger many fans who have wanted this figure in their collection for years.

But He-Man with gray arm bands instead of gold, or something similar to that, what would be the harm in chase figures like that?

I'm ONLY okay with the idea of the variants, as long as it's a different paint deco only on the same figure that's supposed to be.

So for He-Man. If they do a savage He-Man, then it's just a paint job difference, but he still comes with the same, and I mean exact same accessories. Same Power Vest, same weapons, etc. (They can be painted differently, but same casts.

King Grayskull is a good example. He's only different in the paint scheme.

The Trap Jaw you mentioned is also a good example.

Faker is bad, because he's a He-Man that comes with Skeletor's armor.
    To me that says it's another figure.

Teela/Green Goddess... While I wish GG would get her own release, I recognize that may not be and she'd be a great candidate for a variant.

(But again, MATTEL, You MUST send me a Green Goddess!!! I DEMAND it!!! )

So sleeping on the idea of variants, yeah, I'm only cool with them as long as they are strictly painted differently. Mattel should like that idea I would think... No new molds, just different paint apps.
    We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. -George Bernard Shaw
    Nate Baertsch Illustration Blog

I think Mattel misunderstood what the fans were booing about at the panel. The fans just don't want to see chase figures randomly sent out in the mail. That does NOT mean they want chase/variants taking up a monthly slot that should be going towards a new figure. Ideally, it would be nice to see them offered seperately in the same month as the regular version of the figure.

As an international collector AND completist, I am absolutely and totally against any kind of chase figures. Period.

I'm totally FOR variants and repaints but I want to be able to purchase them just like the regular figures.
    Awesome sticker included!

The Scare is in the Glow! Scare Glow's Avatar
    The biggest issue with me is the unpredictable nature of ordering a product sight unseen and possibly getting what you donít want. I donít want to order say He-Man, and get savage. I donít want to order Trap-Jaw and get the mini-comic deco. These are too expensive and limited to sell in this manner. The whole point of offering the line in this capacity is ease of collecting for fans.

That is not to say I wouldnít want these variations, but I want the choice. If I canít have a choice, Iíd rather not have them at all and only be able to buy the standard release.

As for actual characters being released as chase figure (i.e. Faker) allow me to put in the panel vernacular: BOO! It would be an absolutely horrible way to keep people happy and a Herculean exercise in frustration.

The entire point of this line is to rekindle fan interest and reinvigorate the brand through the most core fan group. We donít need mass-market publicity stunts to help clear shelves. There is no hunt with these, so there is no real motivation factor to get people up and out. If youíre not a fan, youíre not going to buy them through their sole vendor. This can not be some attempt to garner sales, because you can only order two, which negates the entire scalper, order a kingís ransom, approach (which is fueled by rare chase figures anyway). This is a potential mess waiting to spill.

Keep it simple. Allow us to buy the products we want without harkening back to the extreme annoyance of the last line. If MOTU gets big enough to return to more mainstream vendors, then this type of tactic may be useful. Until then, donít annoy the fans into taking a pass on this before it becomes rooted.

With that said, I am pretty darn excited for the figures theyíve unveiled. I just want to be able to buy them without my own personal ďquest for the power.Ē

Heroic Warrior
    Same mold, different paint. Than itīs okay to have a variant. But NOT as a chase figure! And the different paint apps have to make sense! Not just inverted colors on the armor, as with 200x He-Man or Skeletor, or basically any 200x chase figure. It has to be a different color scheme that has some roots anywhere in the history of MOTU. Be it the savage He-Man or a green skinned Trap Jaw. No LDS-Skeletor, please!

AND: The figures have to be available separatly. Not as a randomly shipped figure, and not taking away a slot for another character. If Mattel is considering to produce paint variants, they shall do so the same month the original figure is released, so there are TWO figures available at the same time. The original figure for the ordinary collector and fan, and whoever wants the variant can order it with his initial order of the official charater of the month.
    Gegen 2-Klassen-Gesellschaft in Internet-Foren

I don't have a problem with variants as long as they are redeco's and are offered along with their normal color the same month. Don't make it a random packed one or offer it later as a character for it's own month. They should have a poll on Mattycollector.com asking people what character they might be interested in seeing in the future for a variant color. Then when the time comes, they can offer it along with the normal version for that particular month, and make the appropriate amount for preorders so there is not a bunch of leftovers that nobody would want.

I've noticed some things, I'm sure many of you have.

He-Man has been shown with... Gray gauntlets and orange gauntlets.
    Beastman has been shown with... Green belt and red belt.

If that is the "variants" or the variations we could get? Then I'm all for it.

It's subtle, but it's still the same character.
    For He-Man it's a difference of his colors in some of the old storybooks vs. the cartoon. Same for Beastman. So I'm totally down with that!

Please let my theory be right!
    We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. -George Bernard Shaw
    Nate Baertsch Illustration Blog

Please no chase figures by mail.

If they want to offer a chase figure, offer it alongside the regular version and maybe charge a few more bucks for it.

Give the fans a chance to own everything. There are those of us who would gladly pay Mattel directly to have 1 of each, rather than give our money to a secondary market seller.
    Proud supporter of the Snake Men.

Most Wanted: Slave Girl, Lizorr, T-Rex, Great Black Wizard, rest of New Adventures, MOP Demons, Dream Mistress.
    Most Wanted Filmation: Ileena, Twiggets, Dragoon, Widgets, Dark Dream, Lady Valtira, Count Marzo, Chimera.

No Slave Girl? Watch us hurl!

A barbaric world without slave girls? That's truly barbaric!

The Scare is in the Glow! Scare Glow's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Baena View Post

For He-Man it's a difference of his colors in some of the old storybooks vs. the cartoon. Same for Beastman. So I'm totally down with that!

Iíve noticed this too, and if thatís all it is itís not that big of a deal. In fact, it might be cool, maybe . . . .

But, if these changes are more prominent, meaning I order He-Man and get something else, I am not down with that.

Heroic Master of Sleep Lay Ze-Man's Avatar
    I like what I'm reading!

I'd be TOTALLY DOWN with the idea of having the variants be separate figures.

Sounds good to me!
    Offered the same month as the regular figure.
    Limit them ONE per customer, and have a smaller run than the regular.

Charging a bit extra might work too, but I don't see why we'd be asked to pay more when a paint difference doesn't cost Mattel any extra.
    Plus, if it's not a very desirable paint change, they'd end up sitting on the extras if they're charging more.

Overall I completely agree with Scare Glow's thoughts on why the traditional function of chase figures doesn't really apply with this line.

But I think having a little variety in there (especially if they're only going to have one character per month) could make buying this line a little more fun.

I think the main reason they were booed was because they suggested making Faker, a long time fan favourite, as a chase figure.

I back chase figures and variants, but since they are changing the collecting playing field here with this online only thing they need to rethink it.

I think they should produce chase and variant figures but only send them to people that order two of one figure. It would suck to order one he-man, and end up getting say a wonder bread he-man. If I ordered two he-man figures though I would be stoked if one ended up being a wonder bread he-man chase.

So I say either throw them in randomly to the people that have ordered more then one figure, or make it so everyone who has ordered more then one gets the chase.

Quote Originally Posted by Grayskull's Heir View Post
    As an international collector AND completist, I am absolutely and totally against any kind of chase figures. Period.

I'm totally FOR variants and repaints but I want to be able to purchase them just like the regular figures.
    Same here. I totally agree

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    Please no chase figures by mail.

If they want to offer a chase figure, offer it alongside the regular version and maybe charge a few more bucks for it.

Give the fans a chance to own everything. There are those of us who would gladly pay Mattel directly to have 1 of each, rather than give our money to a secondary market seller.
    Agreed.

Chase figures will put far more money into the secondary market than into Mattel's coffers, IMO. Which goes against they're whole stupid "2 per household" idea

Quote Originally Posted by Baena View Post

I'm with Baena.

What if when Faker is released there is a version that has the same colour orange for his hair, armour and sword. Then there is a version like the card back with orange hair and a more pinky orange armour?

What about Man-E-Faces? He could have the orange and blue colour scheme and then for a chase he has a skin coloured torso like the cardback?

Things like that would be ok, wouldn't it? You still get the great sculpts but the chase has a minor change. I know the completists will cringe but it's better than a whole new character being a chase.

John Cena doesn't suck Andy Adams's Avatar
    I for one would be ticked if Faker becomes a chase figure of he-man or skelly.
    I feel for nate if they do the same with green goddess & teela
    It's not falling down that defines character, everyone falls down....it's how you get back up.

Heroic Master of Music baileyrecords's Avatar

I'm not international nor am I a completist but I second these sentiments fully!
    I am Stratos, Heroic Master of Music! and proud member of the Ohio Masters

Creator of Kaiju Kaos.

Yeah, I feel exactly the same way about this.

Even though it was for charity, I still don't like that Spirit of Grayskull figure being so limited. Why Mattel? Couldn't you have sold more of them through the online store like a regular figure and donated some money from each figure sold to charity instead?

John Cena doesn't suck Andy Adams's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RocketPunch View Post

Even though it was for charity, I still don't like that Spirit of Grayskull figure being so limited. Why Mattel? Couldn't you have sold more of them through the online store like a regular figure and donated some money from each figure sold to charity instead?
    Dude, I almost want to put that right in my signature....darn it, I think I need therapy for translucent figures or something
    It's not falling down that defines character, everyone falls down....it's how you get back up.

I like the Chase idea, why not!
    It would be cool if you order 2 figs and one of them would be a big surprise Stratos with blue wings.

Evil and Reads Everything Straight Edge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Merman79 View Post
    I like the Chase idea, why not!
    It would be cool if you order 2 figs and one of them would be a big surprise Stratos with blue wings.
    Yeah, but if you're gonna shell out close to 50 bucks in the hopes of getting a cool variant, then get stuck with two regular Stratoses... are you gonna plunk down another 50 bucks in an attempt to get that "big surprise"? Or next month, are you just gonna order one, with more realistic expectations?

I will buy each figure 2 times, till now.

Quote Originally Posted by Straight Edge View Post
    Yeah, but if you're gonna shell out close to 50 bucks in the hopes of getting a cool variant, then get stuck with two regular Stratoses... are you gonna plunk down another 50 bucks in an attempt to get that "big surprise"? Or next month, are you just gonna order one, with more realistic expectations?
    That's why I hate chase figures. I don't mind variants, as long as we get to choose which version we're buying and not have it come down to dumb luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Scare Glow View Post
    The entire point of this line is to rekindle fan interest and reinvigorate the brand through the most core fan group. We donít need mass-market publicity stunts to help clear shelves. There is no hunt with these, so there is no real motivation factor to get people up and out. If youíre not a fan, youíre not going to buy them through their sole vendor. This can not be some attempt to garner sales, because you can only order two, which negates the entire scalper, order a kingís ransom, approach (which is fueled by rare chase figures anyway). This is a potential mess waiting to spill.
    This is exactly what I was thinking. For some reason Mattel is just in love with chase figures. I think it's been brainwashed into them by the stores that it is something that must be done. The entire reason for chase figures in the first place was to get customers into the store and hope they'll buy something else when they don't find them. Having the figures online only through the maufacturer removes this possibility completely. Just send me what I'm paying for and don't screw around That'll be the fastest way to get people to stop buying this line. It worked the last time...

Why all the hate on cool chase figures?
    Have you all heard of ebay? You can surely make your money back then some, at least to cover shipping+cost. I will buy them from you at retail cost if need be! I think faker as a varient to He Man is a cool idea. I mean come on, its the same mold in blue, he isnt the most original character in the universe. This would get you a new '8 back faker' (kinda) that isn't easy to come by, like the real faker. I want to be able to find everything in the line without paying an arm and a leg, but I want SOME challenge or hunt or else it isn't as fun to collect. I plan on getting 4-6 of each figure monthly, so I hope that is enough to get the varients. I also like less demanding varients, like OG evil lyn colors or something like a gold ram man would be cool. I was REALLY happy to hear about stuff like Camo Kahn as a possible varient, this would make them true to the original because it would also be rare and probably higher in price (on the 2ndary market). We could get 24 figures per year instead of 12 in theory.

Also, I don't remember who Green Goddess is, is that the green snake teela from the early mini comics? Please don't throw stones directly at my face.
    My Vintage MOTU Want List:
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=160111
    My Others Want List:
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=169076
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    Vintage MOC and MISB For Sale:
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...FA-and-non-AFA

I personally like the idea of a chase variants, BUT ONLY if I know that's what I'm buying. If I'm going to spend $20 on something, I want the variation I pick MYSELF. I don't think it would be out of the question for Mattel to just offer variants as an online option (along with the original) until they run out of stock. If I want a chase variant and they run out, then it's my own fault for not ordering quick enough.
    I know myself, and it will be hard to wait from month to month unitl the next figure is available, ESPECIALLY if I know the next figure will just be a chase variant. I want a Faker toy like anyone else, but if they are just going to be re-using parts like they say the will, I'd rather him be a chase character who is offered the same month as Skeletor, than to waste an entire month on him and not get someone new. I'd like to get through the line as quickly as possible so I can finish my collections (we aren't getting any younger here).
    Last edited by Animator; July 26, 2008 at 11:38pm.