Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: MOTUC and Chase Figures

I'm just throwing this out there as an idea. I'm of two minds about chace figures and variants but for the sake of this post I'm going to be pro random variants....

I'd be all for it if they did something like the following: I'll be using the Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season 8 comics as an example. Each issue has 2 covers and they ship in 50/50. There was one issue that had a third variant that shipped like 1/20 but back on point.... The 50/50 works well if it's sold in stores which this isn't going to be and that brings me to my idea.

The sites, except for the official site does random insertion like Mattel suggested but they do it a bit differently. If you order 4 copies of each issue they guarantee that you get both covers. That works out perfectly for me because I have the regular and variant covers on my wall, one copy to read and the final copy for a friend who has me buy them for her. The sites also offer a 10 percent discount when you buy them like that, which granted 10 percent off of 3 bucks isn't much but it certainly helps.

If Mattel did this I think it would please the majority of the fans who will buy MotUC. 1 figure for MoC, 1 loose, one for extra display/for friends/for customs etc, and the variant which I think most people keep MoC. If they give a 10 percent discount for something like that it would be easier for us to get them as well. And then say maybe a month or two after when they've moved on to different figures they could offer the variant as a singular figure at regular price with no discount.

Now believe me I'm not in any position to spend between 80-100 bucks including shipping a month on one figure just to get both versions of it but personally it would make getting them that much more worthwhile because I'll have to find a way to afford it by going into work on a day off or something like that. Anyway, just an idea which I know probably will never happen for one reason or another.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by xBBestx View Post
    I think the main reason they were booed was because they suggested making Faker, a long time fan favourite, as a chase figure.
    The reason I booed is that I am a collector and a completist. I don't like not having a figure because I couldn't find it on my own. In the 2002 line, I ordered figures from the UK and Australia when they weren't released here so I could get everything released. Chases are like big gapping holes in my collection that are expensive to fill, and if I am about to invest thousands of dollars in a new line like I have with the 2002, then I don't want to have to pay even more to fill holes.

Quote Originally Posted by Gimporama View Post
    I'm with Baena.

What if when Faker is released there is a version that has the same colour orange for his hair, armour and sword. Then there is a version like the card back with orange hair and a more pinky orange armour?

What about Man-E-Faces? He could have the orange and blue colour scheme and then for a chase he has a skin coloured torso like the cardback?

Things like that would be ok, wouldn't it? You still get the great sculpts but the chase has a minor change. I know the completists will cringe but it's better than a whole new character being a chase.
    I don't think they would be ok. Sure, there are production variations, not every paint app will be the same shade, but if something is intentionally made different, then I would probably want to order both. If there are reasons to have both as you've described (matching cardback, matching original figure, matching a mini-comic) then as a fan and collector I should be able to choose which (none, any, or all) that I would like to buy for whatever reason I want.

Quote Originally Posted by flitzi View Post
    Same mold, different paint. Than itīs okay to have a variant. But NOT as a chase figure! And the different paint apps have to make sense! Not just inverted colors on the armor, as with 200x He-Man or Skeletor, or basically any 200x chase figure. It has to be a different color scheme that has some roots anywhere in the history of MOTU. Be it the savage He-Man or a green skinned Trap Jaw. No LDS-Skeletor, please!

AND: The figures have to be available separatly. Not as a randomly shipped figure, and not taking away a slot for another character. If Mattel is considering to produce paint variants, they shall do so the same month the original figure is released, so there are TWO figures available at the same time. The original figure for the ordinary collector and fan, and whoever wants the variant can order it with his initial order of the official charater of the month.
    I agree with this whole-heartedly. Given that they are designing the line to reuse molds like the 80's, there isn't as huge a cost in running a later run of a character if they don't do it in the same month because they will already be putting stuff in the molds.

Quote Originally Posted by RocketPunch View Post
    Even though it was for charity, I still don't like that Spirit of Grayskull figure being so limited. Why Mattel? Couldn't you have sold more of them through the online store like a regular figure and donated some money from each figure sold to charity instead?
    That is an awesome idea

Quote Originally Posted by Chaundon View Post
    Why all the hate on cool chase figures?
    Have you all heard of ebay? You can surely make your money back then some, at least to cover shipping+cost. I will buy them from you at retail cost if need be! I think faker as a varient to He Man is a cool idea. I mean come on, its the same mold in blue, he isnt the most original character in the universe. This would get you a new '8 back faker' (kinda) that isn't easy to come by, like the real faker. I want to be able to find everything in the line without paying an arm and a leg, but I want SOME challenge or hunt or else it isn't as fun to collect. I plan on getting 4-6 of each figure monthly, so I hope that is enough to get the varients. I also like less demanding varients, like OG evil lyn colors or something like a gold ram man would be cool. I was REALLY happy to hear about stuff like Camo Kahn as a possible varient, this would make them true to the original because it would also be rare and probably higher in price (on the 2ndary market). We could get 24 figures per year instead of 12 in theory.
    The hate for chase figures is fueled by ebay. I don't want to have to spend a ton more to fill in figures that are cool because I was unlucky in the draw. I'm already doing that to get the statue version of King Greyskull even though I was at the con. It's not fun, and I'd hate to have to do that every month.

So, up til now I haven't been very suggestive of ways to do things about addressing potential variants, and I don't like to complain without suggesting a solution, so here it is:

Take all of the variants that make sense along some common theme (for example classic colors or mini-comic colors) that aren't a separate figure (e.g. no green goddess or Faker, keep them as individual buys), then put them in a multi-figure package for collectors who want them to order. This way you know you're going to get a side set of figures as opposed to just one-off variants that make no sense. When you pack them this way, include things that make them make sense. For example, if there was a mini-comic color pack, include the original mini-comics as part of the incentive. If there is a cardback colors set, include artwork of the original cardbacks.

What possible reason is there for a online product to have chase variants?

Chase variants exist to drive traffic to brick and mortar stores. They exist to entice collectors into the stores in the hopes that even if the collector does not find the chase, they will buy something else there. They are essentially bait to get people into stores in the hopes they will spend money.

MOTUC is an online, one figure per month line. There's no reason to glut it with variants or extras so early on. If the line is to survive you need collectors to buy EVERY release each month.

If it's one new character per month, there's a good chance many collectors will buy at least one figure a month.

But if you start off with variants, chases, repaints, then it's far more likely collectors will pick and choose. That means unsold product, that means less money the line is making.

I want MOTUC to succeed. I want to get a new figure each month. I will happily buy at least one per month if the line stays with this pattern, and most likely I will be a "completist" on the line.

But at $20 each, if you start throwing in repaints, I will NOT buy every release, I'll only get the repaints I like.

Let's not be so hidebound by conventional toy marketing that we think a line has to have variants or chases.

Spy
    http://www.spymonkeycreations.com/
    Custom Action Figure Accessories

Elder Councilman
    I think spymagician makes a good point. Would I consider buying an updated Dragon Blaster Skeletor, Terror Claws, Flying Fists He-Man, or Hurrican Hordak? Possibly. Do I want them to make them NOW? No. I want ORIGINAL versions, and a lot more variety in my line first.

As for variants, throw 'em on the website with the regular version, and let people choose which they want; none of this "randomly selecting" stuff. It's a new age of toy collecting- Mattel's got something very hot on their hands, I suggest they handle it properly, as no one else has ever done this before, and I'm very impressed with what they're doing.
    "Whoever says money is evil...doesn't have it"- Boiler Room

The Cerebral Assassin hhhelmsley's Avatar
    Again. I star to understand what Mattel tries to do with re-paint and chase figures. In the first place they announce one figure per month, soon all shout by asking more figures per month. Now they announce chase and re-paint to cause that fans again buys a pile of figures of the same personage. At the end of the year all we will have around 24 to 36 figures just by 12 characters available. In my opinion Mattel must forget variants and chase figures this time and just release more and different personages. Anyway variants or chase do not appear nor are tied to the animated series and either to comics. This whole wep page thing is going to be very different. It gives me the impression that with this MOTUC we will end up paying more money for less characters like never before.

Quote Originally Posted by Gimporama View Post
    I'm with Baena.

What if when Faker is released there is a version that has the same colour orange for his hair, armour and sword. Then there is a version like the card back with orange hair and a more pinky orange armour?

What about Man-E-Faces? He could have the orange and blue colour scheme and then for a chase he has a skin coloured torso like the cardback?

Things like that would be ok, wouldn't it? You still get the great sculpts but the chase has a minor change. I know the completists will cringe but it's better than a whole new character being a chase.
    Sorry, but I don't agree with that at all. I don't think it would be cool. It would be lame.
    I want to know beforehand what I'm spending my money on (especially with the relatively high costs of each figure plus (overseas) shipping). At the end of the day, I want to have a complete collection. I don't want to be forced to spend hundreds of $$$ for that one very hard to find chase variant that came out towards the end of the line (like chase Battle Fist in the 200x line).

All I'm asking for is that I want to
    a) know that I get the figure I actually payed money for
    b) be able to collect ALL figures.

Is that really asking too much from Mattel?
    Awesome sticker included!

Quote Originally Posted by Grayskull's Heir View Post
    As an international collector AND completist, I am absolutely and totally against any kind of chase figures. Period.

I'm totally FOR variants and repaints but I want to be able to purchase them just like the regular figures.
    I agree 100%.
    --------
    Joachim

Heroic Master of Music baileyrecords's Avatar
    Paint variants and chase figures suck!! Plain and simple. I don't want them bogging down the new line.

Faker is Faker. Not just a blue He-Man. Different color, different accessories, robotic decal on chest.

I'm all for various incarnations of the characters - like BA He-Man and Dragon Blaster Skeletor, etc. But first I want to see new characters. Maybe a different He-Man or Skeletor once a year max.
    I am Stratos, Heroic Master of Music! and proud member of the Ohio Masters

Creator of Kaiju Kaos.

Sorry, but I don't agree with that at all. I don't think it would be cool. It would be lame.
    I want to know beforehand what I'm spending my money on (especially with the relatively high costs of each figure plus (overseas) shipping). At the end of the day, I want to have a complete collection. I don't want to be forced to spend hundreds of $$$ for that one very hard to find chase variant that came out towards the end of the line (like chase Battle Fist in the 200x line).

All I'm asking for is that I want to
    a) know that I get the figure I actually payed money for
    b) be able to collect ALL figures.

Is that really asking too much from Mattel?
    Spot on. It seems toy companies go above and beyond stupid when it comes to (b). They always insist on making hard to find items that only frustrate hard core collectors and benifit scalpers on ebay.

I understand why you would complain about characters like Faker or Green Goddess being a varient for completist reasons, but I don't understand why people are scared they are going to get a varient instead of the original figure. I mean if you order an Evil Lyn for example and you get the original colored Evil Lyn that is more rare, are you really going to be that upset? If you don't want to hawk it on ebay for money to get another none varient, you can always sell it on the marketplace here. Half the fun of collecting is being enguaged in the scene which can mean buying/selling/trading with friends and other MOTU fans, either on here or ebay. My idea of collecting something is NOT getting stuff in the mail once a month. That isn't very challenging IMHO. Wanting to get everything in equal distribution, well sir that just sounds like COMMUNISM to me (that was a joke). Yes I would be mad if I had to get a MOTUC Faker online from ebay for $120 but I don't think that is going to be the case with this line. Also keep in mind that the faker (or the other rarer figures, like keldor) from the 2002-whatever series isn't that easy to come by either. Also what are you going to call the 200x series now, because technically MOTUC is in the 200x decade.
    My Vintage MOTU Want List:
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=160111
    My Others Want List:
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=169076
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    Vintage MOC and MISB For Sale:
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...FA-and-non-AFA

I understand why you would complain about characters like Faker or Green Goddess being a varient for completist reasons, but I don't understand why people are scared they are going to get a varient instead of the original figure. I mean if you order an Evil Lyn for example and you get the original colored Evil Lyn that is more rare, are you really going to be that upset? If you don't want to hawk it on ebay for money to get another none varient, you can always sell it on the marketplace here. Half the fun of collecting is being enguaged in the scene which can mean buying/selling/trading with friends and other MOTU fans, either on here or ebay. My idea of collecting something is NOT getting stuff in the mail once a month. That isn't very challenging IMHO. Wanting to get everything in equal distribution, well sir that just sounds like COMMUNISM to me (that was a joke). Yes I would be mad if I had to get a MOTUC Faker online from ebay for $120 but I don't think that is going to be the case with this line. Also keep in mind that the faker (or the other rarer figures, like keldor) from the 2002-whatever series isn't that easy to come by either. Also what are you going to call the 200x series now, because technically MOTUC is in the 200x decade.

You are forgetting that by the time you get your figure, and realize its a variant, and hawk it on ebay, that the original figure might be sold out. Add on to this the fact that it is entirely possible that you could get another variant when you order agian. That is a lot of possibility for trouble and an unhappy fan.

I understand this problem now that you mention it, and I do see that being a possible factor. I know not all people will be buying as many figures as me and I could see where that situation may arise. How much of each figure is being produced? That may answer some questions about how 'rare' these are going to get. They may not sell out that fast!

Quote Originally Posted by Beeto Bot View Post
    You are forgetting that by the time you get your figure, and realize its a variant, and hawk it on ebay, that the original figure might be sold out. Add on to this the fact that it is entirely possible that you could get another variant when you order agian. That is a lot of possibility for trouble and an unhappy fan.
    My Vintage MOTU Want List:
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=160111
    My Others Want List:
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=169076
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    Vintage MOC and MISB For Sale:
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...FA-and-non-AFA

Quote Originally Posted by Beeto Bot View Post
    add to this the possibility that we might only allowed to buy two of each figure! We might not even have the chance to order another one!!!

Man, I just realised the danger of the figures being sold out! Especially if you are an international collector and your order needs two weeks or so to ship!

For me, color variants (yellow Evil Lyn) are almost as precious as original characters (Teela/Goddess).
    If they do a color variant of Evil Lyn, I would still want to order at least two regular Evil Lyns PLUS one (or possibly even two) of the color variant.
    The same is true for Trap Jaw (early minicmics paint job) or blue-winged Stratos.
    Awesome sticker included!

Chase figures were okay and fun back in the day when you knew they existed, but you found them completely by surprise in the toy store.
    Nowadays, this line being internet-only, I am not into the idea of chase figures at all. Basically, sometimes the original is the best- and I might not want the chase figure and don't want to have to play the trading game on the boards to get the version I want. Or if the chase is superior, same thing.

Heroic Warrior
    I understand why you would complain about characters like Faker or Green Goddess being a varient for completist reasons, but I don't understand why people are scared they are going to get a varient instead of the original figure.
    I'm not scared about getting the varient. I'm scared I would end up having to go to ebay and give someone $120 for the variant which is not cool.

I mean if you order an Evil Lyn for example and you get the original colored Evil Lyn that is more rare, are you really going to be that upset? If you don't want to hawk it on ebay for money to get another none varient, you can always sell it on the marketplace here. Half the fun of collecting is being enguaged in the scene which can mean buying/selling/trading with friends and other MOTU fans, either on here or ebay. My idea of collecting something is NOT getting stuff in the mail once a month. That isn't very challenging IMHO.
    The whole point is that collecting should not be a challenge. I want my figure line because I think they are cool, not because I enjoy wasting time and gas driving to every potential retailer in a 50 mile radius in order to get a figure. There is very rarely any personal interaction on ebay. And there are very few offers even in the marketplace here for items that are rare at reasonable prices. When a chase he-man hit $500 on ebay, that is excessive for a figure that started at $7 and I kinda had a chance to get by going to multiple stores. If you did chase figures in this line, they would start at $20 and unless you had loaded up on ordering (since it is 2/person), they would be worse to get than that chase he-man.

Wanting to get everything in equal distribution, well sir that just sounds like COMMUNISM to me (that was a joke). Yes I would be mad if I had to get a MOTUC Faker online from ebay for $120 but I don't think that is going to be the case with this line. Also keep in mind that the faker (or the other rarer figures, like keldor) from the 2002-whatever series isn't that easy to come by either.
    I don't see why you don't think that would be the case? If you've got limited distribution to 2/person and the figure was 10-15% of the run, your odds of getting either one or both as chases when you buy two would be between ~20% and ~27%. Assuming that no one wants to pay you for the extra normal figures that you get (since that's what they already have), you would end up asking for far more than $120 just to recoup costs. When you have chase figures now, the cost is lower because you don't have to buy every figure on the shelf, you only buy the chase one. When you have to arrange to get a large number of these in advance not knowing what you would get, the costs of getting them will be much higher.

Also what are you going to call the 200x series now, because technically MOTUC is in the 200x decade.
    I would call the 200x line the 200x line and MOTUC MOTUC because they are different lines

What I don't get is how everyone here seems to want something handed to them. To me getting a toy in the mail is not toy collecting. Having to hunt it out is the true essence of collecting. Just sitting on your computer and buying it is just shopping. Which to me is not fun at all.

I back variants and chase figures because it keeps it fresh. If they packed them at 50/50 then everyone that ordered two would get them. And even if they didn't, then thats part of the thrill of collecting. Having to hunt it out. Maybe one month you wont get the variant, but then another you will and you can trade it for the one you want.

I think people need to look at what being a completist means and see if it's really nessasary to own every single paint difference. I was stoked when I found chase figures in the 200x line. If I didn't find one though then oh well. I didnt need an inverted armour paint job heman so bad that I was going to pay $500 for it. It's completists that drive these prices up so insanely high. Why can't you just take a simple variant or chase as a nice bonus to the people that happen to get one.

The must have it all, and must have it placed in my hand with no work or effort mentality is pretty juvenile. How can you take pride in a collection that you shopped for, not collected.

Heroic Master of Music baileyrecords's Avatar
    For me, color variants (yellow Evil Lyn) are almost as precious as original characters (Teela/Goddess).
    If they do a color variant of Evil Lyn, I would still want to order at least two regular Evil Lyns PLUS one (or possibly even two) of the color variant.
    The same is true for Trap Jaw (early minicmics paint job) or blue-winged Stratos.

I don't share this opinion and that's ok.
    Here's why...
    It is my understanding that things like skin color changes and wing color changes in the vintage line were production run changes to make the figure "better" in the eyes of the maker and/or public. They were not intended to be "variants" as collectors made them to be. They were changes.

It's also my understanding that Mattel is now trying to make new MOTU figures the way they were always meant to be... as in, making them appear like the original card back artwork, etc.

With both understandings in place, would it make sense for Mattel to intentionally make two versions of Evil-Lyn or Stratos with alt coloration? Other than greed on their part, I don't see why this would be necessary. It's not like blue wing Stratos is a different character from red wing Stratos. If that were the case - and it was a way to make an inexpensive 2nd character - so be it. I'd be all over them doing it again... like flocking Beast Man and making Moss Man. Like molding He-Man in blue, adding orange molded armor from Skeletor and calling the guy Faker.
    I am Stratos, Heroic Master of Music! and proud member of the Ohio Masters

Creator of Kaiju Kaos.

What I don't get is how everyone here seems to want something handed to them. To me getting a toy in the mail is not toy collecting. Having to hunt it out is the true essence of collecting. Just sitting on your computer and buying it is just shopping. Which to me is not fun at all.

I back variants and chase figures because it keeps it fresh. If they packed them at 50/50 then everyone that ordered two would get them. And even if they didn't, then thats part of the thrill of collecting. Having to hunt it out. Maybe one month you wont get the variant, but then another you will and you can trade it for the one you want.

I think people need to look at what being a completist means and see if it's really nessasary to own every single paint difference. I was stoked when I found chase figures in the 200x line. If I didn't find one though then oh well. I didnt need an inverted armour paint job heman so bad that I was going to pay $500 for it. It's completists that drive these prices up so insanely high. Why can't you just take a simple variant or chase as a nice bonus to the people that happen to get one.

The must have it all, and must have it placed in my hand with no work or effort mentality is pretty juvenile. How can you take pride in a collection that you shopped for, not collected.
    Obviously you don't have children lol. It's a pain in the butt for me to have to drag the kids from store to store looking for something(much less the apparent cruelty of running children from toystore to toystore and not buying anything). Not to mention that with the current rise in gas costs the hunt is incredibly undesirable. If I can't find something I'm looking for easily and in one stop, chances are I won't get it. Not everybody has the disposable income or time to just drive around and hunt for toys.

I'm far from a completist and don't mind not having all of the variants or chase figures. However if it is a completely different character ala Faker/He-Man I'd be incredibly upset.

If I order Classic He-Man, I want to receive Classic He-Man. As a collector I want to get the figures that I want with the least amount of hassle possible. What is the point of having a collector friendly webstore if you're going to ship figures that might not be what the customer orderred? Also, I don't have the disposable income to order 2 figures hoping that I get the figure that I want. As it is I'm only going to be orderring the characters/figures that I really like or have a strong nostalgic value. As others have stated, by the time you receive your figure it may be too late to go back and reorder another one if it isn't the one you wanted in the first place. Plus, how far in advance are we actually orderring these figures before they ship?

I think collecting is different for everybody. Some want one of everything. Some want characters that have special value to them. Some enjoy the hunt. For me, I just want one of each character in their primary form found as quickly and as easily as possible. I just don't need the stress.

Movie mayhem!
    I posted this in another thread but this is my thoughts on it.

After watching the panel video they REALLY didn't seem to get it about the chase figures at the panel. They asked a lot of questions about it which was great but I don't think they ever really understood what we want and we have to fix that somehow. I'm not faulting them for that, its hard to talk to a crowd and really 100 percent get what they are saying. Regardless it needs to be made clear.

So here it is: Almost everyone I have talked to has said they want color variants BUT only as things they can choose to buy in addition to the regular character that month. They DON'T want it to be random, AND they DON'T want a color variant to take the place of a NEW figure another month which is something mattel seemed to think was a good idea at the pannel and misinterpreted the response to.

WHAT i think WE WANT: IF there are going to be color varients they should be offered along side the regular figure as something else you can purchase that month.

If they are limiting how many we can order I think this is EXTREMELY important for them to know. People are already upset about the limit, if they throw chase into that ... then this line is very troubling for fans right from the start.
    Check out my MOTU Spin off comic here: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...62#post3784962

I tell you what you can have lots of fun and go looking for these in stores. If you find one it will be awesome! j/k

All joking aside, I may be wrong but, I think your opinion about collecting should be hard is in the minority. I feel that collecting is hard not because the collectors want it to be, but because of idiotic decisions by toy companies who think hype is worth more than burning out a casual collector who would like to complete a line. As far as I'm concerned I work hard for my money and that is enough work for me to get a figure. In the end I'm not spending my money so I can trade with someone else for what I really want.

Well to me there is a difference between a toy collector and a toy shopper/buyer. To me ordering a mass produced toy off the internet and having it sent to my door is just shopping. To me collecting is more about putting some search and hunt into obtaining an item. I derive much more pleasure when happening upon something, or putting some effort into tracking something down. No one here can tell me they didn't get super excited when they walked into a store and finally found a prince adam or teela figure when the 200x line came out.

At the end of the day I would rather collect the original figures or production pieces from the original line, then just order a bunch of new figures off the net. Sure I will buy a few of these new figures, but so will everyone here.

If everyone just buys whatever new figure that comes out and gets shipped to there door everyone has the same boring collection in there display case. I prefer hunting for something a little more unique.

You sumarized it all up for me perfectly Patreek!

Well to me there is a difference between a toy collector and a toy shopper/buyer. To me ordering a mass produced toy off the internet and having it sent to my door is just shopping. To me collecting is more about putting some search and hunt into obtaining an item. I derive much more pleasure when happening upon something, or putting some effort into tracking something down. No one here can tell me they didn't get super excited when they walked into a store and finally found a prince adam or teela figure when the 200x line came out.

At the end of the day I would rather collect the original figures or production pieces from the original line, then just order a bunch of new figures off the net. Sure I will buy a few of these new figures, but so will everyone here.

If everyone just buys whatever new figure that comes out and gets shipped to there door everyone has the same boring collection in there display case. I prefer hunting for something a little more unique.
    I get what you're saying, I really do but for me I do consider myself a collector, I do have displays of my collection and such but for me... For local toy stores I have an option of:

Wal-Mart- which seriously just got the second wave of the Hasbro Marvel Legends line. And quite frankly if it's not Dark Knight/Spiderman/Hannah Montana/High School Musical related it doesn't get stocked much, or at all. About 2-3 months ago they *JUST* put out the toys from the Fantastic Four sequel.

K.B.Toys- I haven't been in one in, wow like 10 years so I can't really speak about them.

ToysRUs- I went in there a few days ago and I don't see how they would market a MotUC line at all. The front half of the store was Back to School stuff, Hannah Montana, High School Musical, Dark Knight. Then there were about 6 lanes of strictly Disney stuff. I had to go all the way to the back of the store to get to the figures I wanted, and even then about 3/4ths of the section was all Pokemon/Iron Man. They had two pegs worth of non Iron Man related Marvel toys, and the G.I.Joes, oh for crying out loud they were on the end of the shelf in a section that was maybe 2 figures wide by 3 figures high.

The only other 'physical' option would be my local comics\toy shop which overprices things like they were going out of style. I managed to get a ML White Queen one day at Wal-Mart for 8 bucks (this was when they first came out) then the next day I go to the comic store to pick up the latest Buffy season 8 comic and they had the same White Queen for 35 bucks! And back when the Stactions came out I desperately wanted Hordak but the shop told me they wouldn't be carrying the figures at all unless I ordered them through previews (which I should have done anyway) but they charged for it and would only put in the order if I ordered and prepaid for the entire first wave. And believe me they weren't charging the 20 bucks that people keep saying they were in other threads They wanted 56 bucks PER FIGURE. Sure I kind of wanted Snout Spout too, but not at that price. So unless I got it online they only way I would have been able to even sort of physically go out and get one would have been to pay $168+tax for 3 'figures' one of which I desperately wanted, one I kind of wanted and one that honestly right now I can't even remember who it was.

So with a massive lack of a semi-decent toy store and a comic shop that charges almost tripple the price of each figure the only option I'm left with other than to spend huge amounts of money on gas to travel out of my local area at different times in the oft chance that I'd find what I want or to 'collect' by ordering them through the online site.

Heroic Master of Sleep Lay Ze-Man's Avatar
    Well for you completist collectors I suppose I sympathize but I can't empathize.
    To me, as long as I've got a Fisto, I'm 100% cool with not having the one that's exactly the same only slightly more blue instead of purple.

But if they gave me the choice on the website to buy one of each, that'd be cool I guess.
    How would they know how many to make though?

How about this?
    What about if Mattel does a POLL on Mattycollector.com to gauge interest in certain variants?

For example, they'd have a poll asking:

Which Evil Lyn would you prefer: purple/silver, or blue/yellow?

If the results are 50/50, then Mattel should make the paint change 50/50, and if 70/30, then so on . . .

This would be beyond simple IMO, since you have to go to the website for MOTUC figures anyway, so the polls would clearly be a good sampling of the fans who are actually purchasing the product.

Quote Originally Posted by Patreek View Post
    WHAT i think WE WANT: IF there are going to be color varients they should be offered along side the regular figure as something else you can purchase that month.

Yeah the more I think on this, the more that ^^^THIS^^^ would be my prefered option as well.

That's fine if there's a paint variation each month offered along side the standard figure, please give me the option to buy both if I want both.

For Month 2 I don't want a brown Beastman Variant, but for month ... X ... I obviously, most definitely want to buy Teela and her lovely GREEN variant.

Please "Matty" & Toyguru, please give us THAT option!

EDIT: Oh and by the way... I have to keep pinching myself that the Green Goddess seems to be getting so much love for this line!
    The fan support I'm seeing for her is unreal!
    We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. -George Bernard Shaw
    Nate Baertsch Illustration Blog