Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: MOTU CLASSICS VS MOTU 2002 Line. Which style do you prefer the most?

Defender of the Crown
    I like the classic style because I grew up with the original and appreciated the beefier sculpt. I appreciate the newer series as well and can say it looks edgier and cooler in some ways, but the classic series was always more brutal in its design which is the way i liked it. Keep it barbaric!

Classics!!

My god this are the real masters of the universe...

Classics.

It's my favorite toy line.

I agree with the magic hat.

I liked the 200x toys because they were a new take on the property after a very long time away, so the nostalgia was mixed with intrigue and excitement. Things were new, and there was a chance it would all take off again big-time with the kids - even though it was much more grown-up than the 80s version (which makes sense as kids mature faster these days and some of us have grown up, too ).

But now, with that all dead, I like the classics because they go back to the old version completely but do it better. It's like a nostalgia head-trip on steroids.

If this had happened the other way around, we might have got bored quickly with the Classics, or have decided that the 200x version was too weird and new. And when the Classics are finished (which will happen at some point, let's just hope it gets through all the toys first), we won't want a new line to be the same.

This way, it's been a revolution now followed by a retrolution (if that's not a word, I just made it up), which is tons more fun.

SirBushnell SPEAKS!

Get ready for a future with a magical blend of science fiction and fantasy. A brand new legend. A whole new war.
    It's coming...

Chris here...

For me, it's very hard to choose - I love both, for different reasons, but if you pointed a gun at my head and made me choose, it would be the MOTU Classics, which if I close my eyes and think of MOTU is how I think of it!

Quote Originally Posted by Havoc View Post
    Classics definately. In looks and style.
    If they'd had their special features aswell.. well.. it'd be a dreamlike perfection for me.
    If special features means action features - I agree 100%, and that is the one element I will infinitely prefer about the MOTU 200X line, with the firing missles, Stratos' flapping wings, etc.

Take care...
    Part of the "Kidult" craze long before it was a thing! : )

CLASSICS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Most beautiful figures ever.

200x... No question about it. I grew up with the 80's line but the 200x line made the characters less goofy and more serious.
    Take a look at my deviantart. http://kaassouffle.deviantart.com/gallery/

Classics all the way.

I still hate to this day the 200x line.

he-man wasnt a man
    hunched over
    skinny
    and the worse of it all- THE STUPID GIGANTIC WEAPONS

skinny, hunch backs could not really hold those big things. even if you are the most powerful TEEN in the universe

austin

Evil Master of Arcades Gamutstreet's Avatar
    I prefer the 2002 line/stactions because of the beautiful sculpts. Look at Jitsu!
    Always remember the dark days of 2004 with no new MOTU in sight...

Quote Originally Posted by The_Robin View Post
    CLASSICS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Most beautiful figures ever.
    I agree 100%
    Hey Super7 I'm looking forward to what you do for Classics and I'm awaiting these figures!

Spinwit, Gepple, Alcon, Meldoch, Krax, Kayo, Stridor, Kittrina, Melaktha, Drissi, Master Sebrian, Sagitar, Vizar, Nocturna

NA DESERVES A MINI SUB!

My Facebook, check it out!

I like both lines for different reasons. I loved the 80's line growing up. When I got the 200X line they were more mature looking and the horseman did a great job with them. I prefer the more mature new take on the 200X line and I also like the new classic line for nostalgic reasons. It's a tough call right now. I'd take the staction line and the new classics if they could do it.

Evil and Reads Everything Straight Edge's Avatar
    Always going to be the 4H designs and the 2002 toyline (why do people still call it 200x? Really, it started in 2002, people know what you're talking about).

My biggest problem with the Classics line is the logistical failure that comes from sharing molds:

I'm 30 years old now. I notice that Mer-Man, from an aquatic race, Zodac, an alien, and Skeletor all have the same feet. Why? Other than the real-world answer (cost cutting), what makes these three guys from completely different walks of life look the same in that very specific detail?

How do I accept that the only two woman in the world wear the exact same clothes, in different colors? Isn't there a Fashion District in Eternia?

And other problems just compound. Stratos, while not only sharing Beast Man's hulking upper body and dainty little feet, will have no logical explanation nor technical reason for flight. He'll actually be a Monkeyman with a human face, who straps wings on his arms and *Bamf" he's a flying monkey. The classic design doesn't even make sense. How would wearing wings on your actul arms make you flight-capable? At least hanging below the arms, like Batman or Spiderman (those webs sometimes drawn between his elbow and torso) looks plausible. But no one's wearing feathers as arm dressing, and suddenly a big wind propells them skyward.

The 2002 designs adressed this, making the wings part of a flying suit, indicating Stratos' monkey-like race wasn't flight capable on their own. It made sense. It also helped that Stratos wasn't the same body type or height as Beastman... everyone had their own body type that fit their unique character.

None of that will happen with the Classics line. Hordak, as well as Whiplash, Stinkor, and Kobra Khan, will be saddled with aqua-alien feet. Man-at-Arms, Tri-Klops, Fisto and Jitsu will likely have the same arm bands as He-Man, never mind that they're on completely different sides of the war. So only one Blacksmith in all Eternia, huh? Staying slavish to simplistic designs makes the overall line unappealing to me.

Yes, it's what I grew up on, and yes nostalgia will drive me to buy the first few... but once I'm paying 20 bucks a pop for the same arms and legs in different colors... over and over again... nope, just won't cut it for me.

Evil Master of Mechanisms HordeMonkey's Avatar
    Auckland, New Zealand (formerly South Africa)
    Quote Originally Posted by Straight Edge View Post
    Always going to be the 4H designs and the 2002 toyline (why do people still call it 200x? Really, it started in 2002, people know what you're talking about).

My biggest problem with the Classics line is the logistical failure that comes from sharing molds:

I'm 30 years old now. I notice that Mer-Man, from an aquatic race, Zodac, an alien, and Skeletor all have the same feet. Why? Other than the real-world answer (cost cutting), what makes these three guys from completely different walks of life look the same in that very specific detail?

How do I accept that the only two woman in the world wear the exact same clothes, in different colors? Isn't there a Fashion District in Eternia?

And other problems just compound. Stratos, while not only sharing Beast Man's hulking upper body and dainty little feet, will have no logical explanation nor technical reason for flight. He'll actually be a Monkeyman with a human face, who straps wings on his arms and *Bamf" he's a flying monkey. The classic design doesn't even make sense. How would wearing wings on your actul arms make you flight-capable? At least hanging below the arms, like Batman or Spiderman (those webs sometimes drawn between his elbow and torso) looks plausible. But no one's wearing feathers as arm dressing, and suddenly a big wind propells them skyward.

The 2002 designs adressed this, making the wings part of a flying suit, indicating Stratos' monkey-like race wasn't flight capable on their own. It made sense. It also helped that Stratos wasn't the same body type or height as Beastman... everyone had their own body type that fit their unique character.

None of that will happen with the Classics line. Hordak, as well as Whiplash, Stinkor, and Kobra Khan, will be saddled with aqua-alien feet. Man-at-Arms, Tri-Klops, Fisto and Jitsu will likely have the same arm bands as He-Man, never mind that they're on completely different sides of the war. So only one Blacksmith in all Eternia, huh? Staying slavish to simplistic designs makes the overall line unappealing to me.

Yes, it's what I grew up on, and yes nostalgia will drive me to buy the first few... but once I'm paying 20 bucks a pop for the same arms and legs in different colors... over and over again... nope, just won't cut it for me.
    Yup, gotta share all of the sentiments posted above. The reused parts is a HUGE turn-off. I might buy one or two for the novelty factor, but I dunno.

I wish there were some way to resurrect the 4H's MOTU vision. They had the PERFECT mix of nostalgia and maturity/coolness, IMHO.
    Evil Simian Mechanic of the Horde!

A big fan of Slush Head
    Classics is my favorite no doubt. MOTU is finally back!! I never had that feeling with the 200x. It was cool and all but it didn't feel completely like MOTU.

The best out of the 200x line was the toon.
    http://mikebock.deviantart.com/
    SLUSH HEAD FINALLY SHOWED UP IN MOTUC YAY!!!

200X baby!

The classics were fine for the 80s, but this aint the 80s no more. I like the 200X line because of the detail, Teela didn't look like, well you know, and I just found em more interesting.
    Obey the whip! http://www.clicksmilies.com/s1106/ak...smiley-039.gif

Smile like you mean it.

This should be a poll. (I guess with 3 options. Classic, 200X, both equal)

For me, 200X. (I think people use 200X because they include the "stactions" in that, which didn't come out in 2002)
    I don't want to damn my credentials, but I'm a casual fan with no strong nostalgia link to the classics. Then again, I can legitimize the lack of nostalgia by saying that as a serious Transformers fan & collector, who does have nostalgia for the classic Transformers, my nostalgia still isn't strong enough that I consider the classic stuff superior. I can equally drool over a repaint set of construction vehicles in pastel lime green and dark purple, while criticizing how dull it is.

I love the 200X versions, especially the stactions.

I'm sad (not really sad) but still that they did not bring the 200X line in staction form to an end, at least the important characters like spikor, scare glow, rokkon, moss man etc.

I prefer the 200X becuase they are more mature, more modern...I will miss them.

...but I like the MOTUC better than the 80s, still not as much as 200X. but I think I will buy them, better MOTUC than nothing (MOTUC has its charme, too, but 200x stactions rock(-ed)!!!

thanx for the 200X, now let us see what MOTUC is able to do!

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by HordeMonkey View Post
    Yup, gotta share all of the sentiments posted above. The reused parts is a HUGE turn-off. I might buy one or two for the novelty factor, but I dunno.

I wish there were some way to resurrect the 4H's MOTU vision. They had the PERFECT mix of nostalgia and maturity/coolness, IMHO.
    I'm thinking exactly the same way you two are.

One thing why I'm not really into these new classic toys is the fact that I already have my classic toys from 80's. 200x was perfect and huge update and I'm not really into these new updates, just like old toys but with better articulation, bit new(ish) desings and new paint job. And the price, 20 $ for figure plus shipping (to Finland), it's just too much. I still might get one or two if there is some figures that really catch my eye.

The 2 lines are different beasts (IMO) Classics is about a homage to the orignal. 2KMOTU was about re-imagining these characters, updating them and helping them to compete with todays standards. I would not be suprised if the demand for 2KMOTU continues, Mattel don't start selling stactions on mattycollector. All be it if MOTUC proves to be successful. Anything is possible in the future if all goes well!
    PRO CLASSIC POP TOY DESIGN ELEMENTS BEING USED IN MOTUC TO COMPLEMENT THE FILMATION DESIGNS!!!!

I FULLY SUPPORT THE INCLUSION OF ILLUMINA IN MOTUC!!!!!

IF YOUR SICK OF WAITING FOR A LIGHT TO APPEAR AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL, STRIDE DOWN THERE AND LIGHT THE BLOODY THING YOURSELF!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Angel-T View Post
    The 2 lines are different beasts (IMO) Classics is about a homage to the orignal. 2KMOTU was about re-imagining these characters, updating them and helping them to compete with todays standards. I would not be suprised if the demand for 2KMOTU continues, Mattel don't start selling stactions on mattycollector. All be it if MOTUC proves to be successful. Anything is possible in the future if all goes well!
    I think this idea would be fantastic!! I do love the updated, more mature, redesigned versions of the characters in the 200x line. That being said, I am loving the looks of the new Classics line as they look like the vintage card back characters!! I would love to see the 200x line continue in staction form and the Classics for action figures! I'd buy both and display proudly!

.....classics......

why do people still call it 200x? Really, it started in 2002, people know what you're talking about.
    I kind of agree with this. I think the problem, though, is that the next year the entire line changed from He-man and the Masters of the Universe (okay, the toys didn't say He-man specifically, but the cartoon did) to Masters of the Universe vs The Snakemen. The cards changed color from red to green, and even He-man got brand new permanent armor in the cartoon. So, it was almost like two distinct lines, even though the style was the same.

I think that is why so many of us say 200x. It shows that both lines are looked upon as one, rather than just focusing on the original reboot in 2002.

Stratos, while not only sharing Beast Man's hulking upper body and dainty little feet, will have no logical explanation nor technical reason for flight. He'll actually be a Monkeyman with a human face, who straps wings on his arms and *Bamf" he's a flying monkey. The classic design doesn't even make sense. How would wearing wings on your actul arms make you flight-capable?But no one's wearing feathers as arm dressing, and suddenly a big wind propells them skyward.
    Vintage Stratos is deceivingly light!
    Last edited by SirBushnell; July 27, 2008 at 04:07pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

SirBushnell SPEAKS!

Get ready for a future with a magical blend of science fiction and fantasy. A brand new legend. A whole new war.
    It's coming...

Heroic Warrior
    I like the designs of the 200X series way more than Classics, but Classics is:

1) Better articulated.
    2) The only new product available.

Had it not been for the MYP series, I would probably pass on MOTUC. I did not buy the reissues when they came out and even though I bought the original series on DVD, I have yet to make it all the way through the first box set.

If they had given us a 200x-ish series with more articulation, I would be in heaven.

Still, I'm back in the fandom, my interest is generated and I will at least stick around for the original 8 and hopefully a Battle Cat and Panthor. After that, I hope to see some 200x influence somewhere, as Mattel has stated MOTUC will pull from that period as well.

Straight Edge- Stratos has a jetpack doesn't he? I always thought the wings were just to help him steer.

Classics. Most of the 200x line was awful IMO.
    People who say certain characters should never be remade is stupid. Throw rocks at them.

I support Filmation characters for MOTUC! Let Mattel know it's worth their while to get the rights to those characters!