Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: MOTU CLASSICS VS MOTU 2002 Line. Which style do you prefer the most?

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by xBBestx View Post
    Well for those of you that can't go back continue to savor your old 200x line. For the rest of us we will enjoy He-Man and the Masters of the Universe the way it was always meant to be.
    It was always meant to be so simplistic? Things evolve over time. I mean can you really NOT appreciate Stinkor (a skunk) being different than a black Mer-man (a fish) or Man At Arms having actual armor instead of a green body? Or Man-E-Faces, Trap Jaw and Robot having the exact same legs?

Some of us can like both eras and have no problem distinguishing between the two. Others aren't so accepting. Your "Go play with your 200X line" could easily be "Go play with your 80's line". I don't see why one has to be better than the other.

Quote Originally Posted by Straight Edge View Post
    But therein lies the rub. Those "Original 8" are SOLD, for me as well as you.

But that's because the 4H actually *betrayed* the simplicity of the vintage *toys*, for the exotic and moody mini-comic art. Mer-man is *not* a reproduction of your 25 year-old toy with new articulation. It's an interpretation of a completely different, superior source.

What happens when Mattel runs out of mini-comic art to make these figures something different? Indeed, what we who prefer the 2002 line have been saying in a number of threads... that later figures that were goofy in execution, they came at a time when Mattel had asserted control over the designs. So the toy looked like the comic, looked like the cartoon... what is Mattel going to draw from to make the Classics figures better?

The choice then is to slavishly remake the goofy toy and hope nostalgia drives sales even with the clunkers and misfires, or to create a new interpretation of that character, who has no nostalgic pull and is little more than a glorified 2002 redesign shoved under the then-meaningless "Classics" Banner.
    Why are people ignoring great posts like these?? I would like one MOTUC classics fan to reply to every single one of these points without bringing up the 200x He-man design.

It's getting beyond the point of conversation and more and more about pride or something.
    Take a look at my deviantart. http://kaassouffle.deviantart.com/gallery/

Heroic Master of Sleep Lay Ze-Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    Actually, I'm pretty sure it's already been stated that if the characters (figures) shared parts in the '80s line, they'll share the same parts in the MOTUC line (so Moss Man will be the same figure as Beast Man but colored differently just as Mer-Man and Zodac are the same except for their heads).

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, though.
    As Brad2dbone's post shows, apparently it's not going to be 100%.

The 4H are masters of parts-sharing in clever ways, and while their obviously paying homage to the Classic template of parts-sharing, look like it won't be the "be all, end all".

I have faith in the 4H to give us cool-looking Classic figures within the costs their given.
    And I trust that they'll know when a character can look good with so-and-so's legs, or when they need to make new ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Greyskull View Post
    Classics all the way! This shouldn't even be debatable.
    And yet, astoundingly, we've been . . . debating it, going on 5 pages.

Quote Originally Posted by Straight Edge View Post
    The 4H redesigns obviously had a lot of thought behind them, and they were looking at the shortcomings of the original line and found ways to for each character to make sense.
    As you can see in my post, I completely agree.

One problem though is that it seems we've come to the end of an era for toys in general, that of the "unique sculpts for each character".

Looking at DCUC, JLU, GI Joe 25th, etc, there is TONS of parts-sharing, and many times little more than headswaps with a new paint deco is all that constitutes a "new character".

MotU is NOT a big money-maker, but Mattel sees there's still at least some demand for new figures.
    I don't think heavy parts-sharing is something that would work with the 4H/200x style.
    It only works with what they're doing, which is the Classic throwback.

With DCUC it works because most superheroes have nearly identically muscular physiques, and mostly wear tights and belts. Such a broad template wouldn't work with the 200x designs, as was made apparent by some lukewarm reception to such figures as Teela/Evil Lyn/She-Ra and Moss Man, for example.

So essentially, at this moment in time, MOTUC is the most realistic way to get new MotU action figures made.
    And for that, I'm very happy that Mattel is even bothering.

Quote Originally Posted by Lay Ze-Man View Post
    As Brad2dbone's post shows, apparently it's not going to be 100%.

The 4H are masters of parts-sharing in clever ways, and while their obviously paying homage to the Classic template of parts-sharing, look like it won't be the "be all, end all".

I have faith in the 4H to give us cool-looking Classic figures within the costs their given.
    And I trust that they'll know when a character can look good with so-and-so's legs, or when they need to make new ones.

And yet, astoundingly, we've been . . . debating it, going on 5 pages.

As you can see in my post, I completely agree.

One problem though is that it seems we've come to the end of an era for toys in general, that of the "unique sculpts for each character".

Looking at DCUC, JLU, GI Joe 25th, etc, there is TONS of parts-sharing, and many times little more than headswaps with a new paint deco is all that constitutes a "new character".

MotU is NOT a big money-maker, but Mattel sees there's still at least some demand for new figures.
    I don't think heavy parts-sharing is something that would work with the 4H/200x style.
    It only works with what they're doing, which is the Classic throwback.

With DCUC it works because most superheroes have nearly identically muscular physiques, and mostly wear tights and belts. Such a broad template wouldn't work with the 200x designs, as was made apparent by some lukewarm reception to such figures as Teela/Evil Lyn/She-Ra and Moss Man, for example.

So essentially, at this moment in time, MOTUC is the most realistic way to get new MotU action figures made.
    And for that, I'm very happy that Mattel is even bothering.
    This is actually one of the best pro-Motuc posts on here... It makes sence. But still. I hope they go a better route for the heads. I really dislike He-Man's head and I hope they use a more 200x type of head for Randor dor example.

The New Adventures of Ion HeManOfGreyskull's Avatar
    Stylistically, I like 200X. I even just gave King Grayskull the 200X Power Sword because the new one looked too small on him. As far as parts changing, I have no problem with that, and wouldn't have minded it on 200X, heck, I loved the Moss Man and Faker redecos.

Part of my love of 200X comes from the toon. I really loved what they did with the toon stylistically, and thus i love the toy designs. Classics is going to take some time to get used to, it's like how Hasbro keeps changing Optimus for every new line, you just gotta get used to it.
    Rob
    Captain Picard:So...five card stud, nothing wild...and the sky's the limit.

Quote Originally Posted by Lay Ze-Man View Post
    I disagree. Here's why: MOTUC will have to make unique sculpts anyway for the POP and NA characters and even some vintage characters from 1986-88, so why not a few 200x characters every year? Just don't overlap characters, so we'd have two He-Mans in one year.

Quote Originally Posted by Neo View Post
    This is actually one of the best pro-Motuc posts on here... It makes sence. But still. I hope they go a better route for the heads. I really dislike He-Man's head and I hope they use a more 200x type of head for Randor dor example.
    Pro-MOTUC?? No one is anti-anything. People just want 200X to get represented in MOTUC as well. There are either folks who want that era as well, liked it better or grew up with it.
    Last edited by MegaGearMax; July 28, 2008 at 04:33pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    I disagree. Here's why: MOTUC will have to make unique sculpts anyway for the POP and NA characters and even some vintage characters from 1986-88, so why not a few 200x characters every year? Just don't overlap characters, so we'd have two He-Mans in one year.
    They said we'll be getting characters from the 200X line (Count Marzo was a common guess). But they will be sculpted like the Classics line - just like POP or NA. All of the characters will fit and display well together.

They are not going to make a few characters every year that don't stylistically fit with the new line they're hyping. They are not going to revive a dead line at the expense of building a new one.

Quote Originally Posted by BCI Guy View Post
    They are not going to make a few characters every year that don't stylistically fit with the new line they're hyping. They are not going to revive a dead line at the expense of building a new one.
    They are reviving 3 dead lines to create a whole new one. All I'm noting is that since they could make new sculpts and they WILL if they want to finish the Vintage line--they could easily make a few 200X characters a year, IF there's support enough for it.

But what of the characters that don't have the He-Man/Skeletor/Beastman bodytype like Dragstor, Horde Trooper, Extendar, Snout Spout, Tuskador, Butthead, Karatti or Flogg? NA is a dead line and those are new sculpts right there that stylistically isn't supposed to fit with the furry boots and loincloths and bare chests of the Vintage line.

I prefer MOTUc over MOTU20xx.

Sure some of the designs were great for 200x but a lot of the designs I disliked greatly. He-Man was way too skinny, Skeletors head was TINY and I was not a fan with Tri Klops and Zodac's poses.

I was also not that impressed with the scale changes. I mean there was nothing in any of the MOTU story that would hint that Beastman, Whiplash or Clawful or Even Tung Lashor would be huge. Although it did work for Beastman ,The only figures from the old toy line that were more bulky and could have been interpeted as possibly huge were Rattlor, Mosquitor and Extendar but save for Extendar the other 2 were regular size or skinny.

MOTUc is back to being one size and back to the original look. This is the line I imagined we would get way back when the line was first annouced in Toyfare with the Commemorative series.

Robots and Monsters! TrimmTrabb's Avatar
    I still prefer the 80's line.

General reminder to everyone:
    This is a thread about what you prefer.
    Not who is right and who is wrong!!!!

Heroic Master of Sleep Lay Ze-Man's Avatar
    But what of the characters that don't have the He-Man/Skeletor/Beastman bodytype like Dragstor, Horde Trooper, Extendar, Snout Spout, Tuskador, Butthead, Karatti or Flogg?
    Again, just because the 80's version was a unique sculpt here or there, or shared so-and-so's arms and legs, that doesn't automatically mean the MOTUC version will follow that same pattern.

Concerning the parts-sharing, the 4H are sly dogs. (In a good way, of course. )

I could very easily see Extendar and Horde Trooper sharing many of the same parts, for example.

Why not wait until we see those characters made (which hopefully we will!) before we dismiss how they might look.

Hi folks,

Both lines are great!

But I do prefer MOTU Classic!Itīs perfect for me!

Thatīs my opinion!

Thanks,
    "The young Warrior with the Grip of Evil"

Neo:
    I wasn't attacking you. I'm sorry if it read that way. I just wanted to make it clear that people who wanted 200X characters wasn't against the vintage stuff. We just want to co-exist along with the other lines. Once again, I apologize if I sounded too rough.

I wasn't attacking you. I'm sorry if it read that way. I just wanted to make it clear that people who wanted 200X characters wasn't against the vintage stuff. We just want to co-exist along with the other lines. Once again, I apologize if I sounded too rough.
    That's ok. We want the exact same thing here as does everyone I think. I've been trying to make this point in numerous posts but without any succes.

Realist. Deal with it. Lord Anubis's Avatar
    Classics.

This is what we grew up with, but modifed for our time. I remember always wanting just more detail, and now we have that.

The 200X line was fun, and it was nice to see everyone have their own body and sculpt, but to me, that just wasnt MOTU's style. In some cases it worked better, but for the main hero's and baddies..... no.

I did like the style, but the over-use of the tech look with mini features was weird for me, and then theirs that whole case ratio issue.....
    "We are the tools of our own imagination, constructing temples and cathedrals in which our most outlandish dreams become truth." - Samael

I enjoyed the 4H's re-visioning of MotU for the 200X line, but deep down I really always wanted better versions of the original toys, ala MotU Classics.

I probably won't get rid of my 200X figures as I do think they're cool & fit well with my DC Universe Classics toys (being both sculpted in the same style & in the same scale), but may just end up replacing them on my wall with the MotUC ones when they come out (Example: Take down 200X Beast Man & replace him with the MotUC Beast Man).

Plus, I'm not sure how long MotUC will last/how many figures they'll make & don't want to get rid of toys I currently have to wait for replacements that may never be made. I still am missing a few 200X figures, namely Roboto & "Fisto" & who knows when they'll get MotUC figures...

~Co-Lec-Tor
    "Heroic Master of Collecting!"

Heroic Warrior
    200X for me.

These new ones look stupid, IMHO.

Zodak is all shades of awesome.

Zodac is ho-hum.

plus, Zodak adds a variety to the line, that the original 80s line lacked, save for Clamp Champ.
    Last edited by capitalzero; July 28, 2008 at 06:34pm.

correct me if I'm wrong but didn't the 4H do 200x AND MOTUC? I'm sure the future figs will look great as well. I like to play with all versions of figs with my kids. We have a vintage Mer-man, A comm. Mer-man and both variations of the 200x line. These are all of the Mer-People, each one a little different, but all part of the Sea of Rikash (or however u spell it). My kids love them, and maybe that is more my perspective as well; they are toys. Each is a fabulous edition. Each series is different, but still true to the original concept. I know some folks really want the more obscure characters and are tired of the same core group getting re-visited yet again, and I agree at times. I would love a new "toy" Hordak, not a statue! My hodak's legs are in serious trouble, and I don't see him lasting that much longer in the battles he has been engaged in as of late. But I love the classic concept as a whole. No matter what anyone's opinion is, isn't it great to debate / speculate / even argue about NEW MOTU?! And to me something new, is something new!
    I will NEVER believe that Mermista beheaded Mer-Man! You sit on a throne of lies.... and smell of beef and cheese, bio writer!!!!

I wonder...

You know, I've been active in this thread since its inception. But now, after having waded through the entire thread once again and having a think about it... I really don't see how we can make this comparison at all right now.

================================================== ========

The new Classics line is just that. New.

This means two things:

1) We only have one figure in hand at this time (some of us, not even that). We've only seen a total of five figures, the next four of which are based on the original 8 card-backs - which is a bit of a nostalgia trip, but we haven't seen much of anything so far.

2) Those of us that loved the vintage line are going to be gaga over thiswhile it's still new to us. It's novel and nostalgic at the same time, updating and improving the memory of our beloved figures.

On the other hand, 200x:

1) Is too old to think of as new, yet not old enough to provoke real feelings of nostalgia.

2) Was itself based on a modern update of He-man for the masses, which was exciting but unfortunately a failure.

3) A fairly large line consisting of lots of characters on red cards, lots on green cards, many (many) repaints and variants, and then - on top of that - over 20 mini-statues in that same style.

================================================== ========

So, seriously... how can a line that currently has just one figure released (plus images of another four) possibly compare to one that had so many released over a few years? Surely anybody could find great examples of the 200x line (either toys or stactions) to argue that it was fantastic, yet if you like/don't like the Classics that we've seen so far then there isn't much on offer to sway you. Conversely, the 200x line is old and outdated to some people, and disappointed many of us when it collapsed (which shows that most of us did like it at the time), which left a bad taste in the mouth. Meanwhile, the Classics line is refreshing and new.

I think that, honestly, the guys now at Mattel are trying to rectify any previous mistakes and just give us what we want. For example, if it doesn't look like re-using parts is working very well, I think they'd consider a fresh approach rather than just kill the line.

The bottom line is that a comparison isn't fair - no matter what side of the argument you are on (and I'm on the fence... I enjoy both lines). Let's give the Classics a good run, see if tooling really does ever become an issue (or whether it can make them better/more productive), see what the Horsemen do with the characters from other properties, and so on. At THAT point, maybe we can start a discussion about which line is best? I know this is supposed to be about which you prefer (correctly assuming that it's possible for us to like both of them), but even that's a stretch based on what we know. I don't think anybody really just wants a fight about which one is best and why you either will or won't be collecting it.

SirBushnell SPEAKS!

Get ready for a future with a magical blend of science fiction and fantasy. A brand new legend. A whole new war.
    It's coming...

Quote Originally Posted by donsegar View Post
    I prefer the Classics style.
    what he said
    Knowledge is power, arm yourself

My feedback ,cool people I've dealt with

http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...ak+good+trader

Even if it here a lot of quarrel gives what the best series is, it finds to see very well, nevertheless, loving all "Masters of the Universe" we.
    Although man must say quite clearly this - POP, SO WHAT also 200X pitilessly are flopped.
    Why the Stactions stopped … I believe this 4HM by order from Mattel made around the actual fan strength to ascertain.

Paying 20.00 for recycled parts is pretty bad. I'd rather they alter the classics in such a way where they don't look like their completely from the
    80's. Make them their own figure's not all the same height and body style. They can be changed slightly to accomodate the classic and 2002 fans. Just takes some asking of the fans of what they would prefer. Get the fans involved being that we are the ones that are going to make or break the line.
    Just a suggestion, but I believe a valid one.

Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    General reminder to everyone:
    This is a thread about what you prefer.
    Not who is right and who is wrong!!!!

I prefer that the line stay alive heheheheheh.
    2012 Create a character Runners up Mini-Sub please!!! I needs Bubblor and Major Header.

Quote Originally Posted by Merman79 View Post
    Even if it here a lot of quarrel gives what the best series is, it finds to see very well, nevertheless, loving all "Masters of the Universe" we.
    Although man must say quite clearly this - POP, SO WHAT also 200X pitilessly are flopped.
    Why the Stactions stopped … I believe this 4HM by order from Mattel made around the actual fan strength to ascertain.

Did you use an online translator service for this post, by any chance? (Just wondering...)

SirBushnell SPEAKS!

Get ready for a future with a magical blend of science fiction and fantasy. A brand new legend. A whole new war.
    It's coming...