View Poll Results: New ZODAC (MOTU Classic): What changes would you want to see to see?

Voters
163. You may not vote on this poll
  • Figure looks perfect. Card back painting rules!

105 64.42%
  • Filmation style. Normal (human) feet in boots. White gloves.

40 24.54%
  • Other

25 15.34%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New ZODAC (MOTU Classic): What changes would you want to see to see?

New ZODAC (MOTU Classic): What changes would you want to see to see?

I can appreciate that the 4H are trying to make these figures look 100% like the paintings on the card backs. Still, I wonder if that is absolutely necessary for a MOTU classics line, since we saw many interpretations of these characters in the 80s. Do they really need to look like they did on the back of the cards?

With Mer-man, they gave him two heads so one would be more like the classic toy, and one could be like the painting on the card back. This just goes to show that the characters don't have to look 100% like the card backs.

Zodac looks 100% like the card back painting, but is that how we really want him? No doubt some would like this, but are there others who would want him to appear like he did in the cartoon and books? What, if any, cosmetic changes would you want to see to this character?

1 of my 2 will be painted brown and given silver gloves and white tattoos

I just don't think his hands and feet makes sense.. Its old school but really I think Boots and gloves would make more sense...
    2012 Create a character Runners up Mini-Sub please!!! I needs Bubblor and Major Header.

The spiky things on his forearms bothered me as kid and still do cause I don't know what they are. What are they? Are they part of his forearm? Are they gloves, like Mer-Man's? If they are, I think they should be painted. Are they gauntlets that happen to be the color of his skin?

I read that they were part of Skeletor's forearms, so it the same for all the characters that have that particular style of forearms. In the posters illustrated by Earl Norem, they were illustrated as either gloves or gauntlets.

I can live with his feet, but I think his forearms and hands should be painted as gloves.

The feet and forearms are strange for me. I would like regular boot feet and white-grey gloves or something instead of just flesh colored gloves?

I'm also going to paint my zodak to look like the myp one. Zodak, whiplash and general Rattlor are two designs I prefer over the old school designs. I'm hoping they make an myp variant of zodak. It shouldn't be hard to do with some parts from other MOTUC figs.

The only way I can accept any of the MOTUC line right now is to see it as a retro reinterpretation, a gimmick, and not any kind of ultimate interpretation. The 200X line was billed as the NEW definitive look for the characters, and though some choices were jarring I accepted that. I don't think that's what this new line is, nor do I want it to be that. Zodac looks bland to me, and I suspect he will not be the first character to be so (I'm dreading Prince Adam now). I think this gimmick will get tired very quickly, and I'm not sure I'll be happy to see characters who were never figures before interpreted in this style. I want the Faceless One and Count Marzo, but I think it will be very disconnected for them to appear in this style--and I don't really think I want them to be either given the lack of detail in the armor and reused parts. I'm hoping this is only a stepping stone to a new REAL line.

So given that, Zodac is fine, I don't think they can change this very much to make it more like what I want new MOTU figures to look like. It's a very nice retro revisit. I'd certainly have preferred more detailed unique armor and upgraded weapons like the 200X line had (Zodak's staff was terrific), but clearly they want to bring back what I thought was one of the worst aspects of the original line (reused molds), so I'm kind of just waiting and seeing for now. I really have to see what they do with those POP, POG, NA, and MYP characters before I have anything much to add.
    Last edited by gbagok; July 27, 2008 at 05:59pm.

I'd like to see him with a gun, but other than that- PERFECTION!

Cambridge, New Zealand (formerly South Africa)
    Quote Originally Posted by gbagok View Post
    The only way I can accept any of the MOTUC line right now is to see it as a retro reinterpretation, a gimmick, and not any kind of ultimate interpretation. The 200X line was billed as the NEW definitive look for the characters, and though some choices were jarring I accepted that. I don't think that's what this new line is, nor do I want it to be that. Zodac looks bland to me, and I suspect he will not be the first character to be so (I'm dreading Prince Adam now). I think this gimmick will get tired very old, and I'm not sure I'll be happy to see characters who were never figures before interpreted in this style. I want the Faceless One and Count Marzo, but I think it will be very disconnected for them to appear in this style--and I don't really think I want them to be either given the lack of detail in the armor and reused parts. I'm hoping this is only a stepping stone to a new REAL line.

So given that, Zodac is fine, I don't think they can change this very much to make it more like what I want new MOTU figures to look like. It's a very nice retro revisit. I'd certainly have preferred more detailed unique armor and upgraded weapons like the 200X line had (Zodak's staff was terrific), but clearly they want to bring back what I thought was one of the worst aspects of the original line (reused molds), so I'm kind of just waiting and seeing for now. I really have to see what they do with those POP, POG, NA, and MYP characters before I have anything much to add.
    My sentiments exactly, dude. Nostalgia can only take me so far. :\
    Evil Simian Mechanic of the Horde!

Skeletors evil colorist Predabot's Avatar
    Since this is classic Zodac, I don't want any big changes or anything, but I certainly want a FEW changes.

Mainly so that he looks more like in the DC Comics mini-series. Paint in those glowing white stars in his eyes, human feet and hands, that would do it for me.

Oh, and I seriously hope they're considering shipping him with his chair, that's part of the iconic space-way enforcer image of him.

Please Mattel and 4H, not just a darn little ray-gun, please.

Defender of the Elders Red Trinity's Avatar
    King Grayskull is a MYP concept that got "classics-ified" for this new line. I'd like to see the MYP Zodak be "classics-ified" as well. I really hope there's a variant with dark skin, tattoos, human feet and a staff.

Zodak was my favorite 200x figure and I would love to see a Classics version of him.

The Scare is in the Glow! Scare Glow's Avatar
    I had to consider this for a while. Part of me agrees that the forearms appear odd as they are. But I still really like the classic interpretation. I actually made a very amateurish photo edit just to find out if I would prefer some paint on those ridges . . . I like the figure both ways, but if I had to choose just one, Iím leaning more toward the con colors.

I know itís pretty terrible, but it helps put into perspective the painted ridges as I'm describing them. I prefer this partial painting to entire gloves. It makes them more like bracers (like He-Manís left arm), which is closer to the classic interpretation.

Attached Images Attached Images

I like him the way he is. I think it's a great idea that the 4H are using the old card art as inspiration for the designs. As a side note...I never got (as a kid) why Mer-Man looked nothing like he did on the back of the card...now he'll look the way he should have all along! I love Zodac...the true Cosmic Enforcer has returned!!

I love this Zodac.
    But I would prefer painted gloves...
    The gleam of the Power Sword lights your way as you enter the fantastic world of Eternia...

Quote Originally Posted by PaoloKr View Post
    I love this Zodac.
    But I would prefer painted gloves...
    Dito. White or gray gloves, and he's fine there. Also ain't too fond of the clawed feet. They're going a bit too far at sticking close to the old material there.
    "Why's Dragstor riding on Night Stalker?" "Cause he can."

I'm happy with how he looks although I would love to see him come with his throne. I loved the look of the MYP Zodac but his action figure pose is more like a staction. I'd like to see a MYP Zodac in the new MOTUC style. Throw in a throne, a staff, and weapons rack with various weapons and you have the ultimate Zodac figure (IMO).

Maybe Zodac's race has bony shapes on their forearms that resemble gauntlets...
    NOW DOING CHARACTER ART COMMISSIONS - PM FOR DETAILS
    DeviantArt Gallery
    Week Daze - my webcomic
    The Return to Anwat Gar

Cambridge, New Zealand (formerly South Africa)
    Yeah, I only hope they'll do some MYP/4H-ish "costumes" for all the characters. I mean, that's all they are really. Like how Marvel Legends has the vintage/modern/Ultimates versions of the characters as well?

Also, I really want the removable helmet back! :P
    Evil Simian Mechanic of the Horde!

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    I think his gloves and feet fit. He's a cosmic alien in Classic MOTU, but in 200X, he's a human monk. Two different characters.

Figure is pretty much perfect. I wouldn't change the feet, he IS an alien after all, but I do like the idea of giving him white gloves, ala Filmation
    People who say certain characters should never be remade is stupid. Throw rocks at them.

I support Filmation characters for MOTUC! Let Mattel know it's worth their while to get the rights to those characters!

Quote Originally Posted by Hek-tor View Post
    The spiky things on his forearms bothered me as kid and still do cause I don't know what they are. What are they? Are they part of his forearm? Are they gloves, like Mer-Man's? If they are, I think they should be painted. Are they gauntlets that happen to be the color of his skin?
    I could not agree with you more! I want human feet and gloves, not bird feet and fins on his arms.

The hands and webbed feet don't look right to me. They just don't go. Hope they make an adjustment.

Evil fears the Knight mattnotis's Avatar
    I think the feet need to change because clawed feet make very little sense in my mind. Granted, this is toy line with muscular blue men with skull faces...but still.
    Wabawalawoo!!!

Personally I don't want anything changed at all on him... BUT... I couldn't resist quickly altering the pic to see how he'd look with painted gloves and/or boots.

The thing is, it wouldn't take much at all for anybody to customize their Zodac to fit their own desired bill!

Again, for me, he's already exactly how I want him.

the feet are kinda weird, but they don't bother me as much as the hands & forearms. they need to be white.

edit: the original he-man figure's cuffs were never painted, but mattel decided to paint them. so if they can do that for he-man, why not zodac? the cuffs just look ugly skin colored.
    Last edited by Man-E-Toys; July 29, 2008 at 07:10pm.