Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: 1987 Movie figs in MotUC?

Quote Originally Posted by Emiliano View Post
    Saurod, Blade and Gwildor are probably in a gray area, but considering how Mattel acts in these cases, they will never take chances on them
    Your putting a nail in the MOTUC coffin for me, you know....
    People who say certain characters should never be remade is stupid. Throw rocks at them.

I support Filmation characters for MOTUC! Let Mattel know it's worth their while to get the rights to those characters!

Heroic Warrior
    But why not exclusive or variant movie versions of Skelly and He-Man?
    "This is true. This is real. This . . . is . . . STRAIGHT EDGE."

-CM Punk

Quote Originally Posted by TheVileOne View Post
    But why not exclusive or variant movie versions of Skelly and He-Man?
    I'd rather not have these figures at all then to have an exclusive/chase version of either. If they are coming out, I'd prefer them to be their own characters for the month... that will take away the slot of another character... so preferably it should be released after a few years.
    Got Fur

I want a Glimmer by the end of 2012 and Extendar by 2013!
    Other Wants:
    MotU: Rokkon, Stonedar, Dragstor, Modulok, Multi-bot, Horde Trooper, DB Skeletor
    PoP: Peekablue, Madam Razz, Lighthope, Kowl
    NA: Quakke, Sagitarr
    MYP: Hawk, Queen Andreenos, Lord Dactys
    Mini-Comics: Kex Queen, Tug-of-War Yellow Warrior, King Hiss' Slave Girl

Quote Originally Posted by Rook View Post
    Your putting a nail in the MOTUC coffin for me, you know....
    I wouldn't worry. Mattel's Scott Neitlich (toyguru) made it sound like those characters can be made.

Gwildor, Saurod and Blade, I would expect are all fair game since they were made into toys.
    Everyone else from the movie?.... I dunno.

Heroic Warrior
    I don't mind waiting a few years for movie versions of Skeletor and He-Man. But I would like to have them.

It puzzles me to no end why Mattel would make those as the original figures but not other movie versions of the characters.

-CM Punk

Heroic Warrior
    I don't mind waiting a few years for movie versions of Skeletor and He-Man. But I would like to have them.

It puzzles me to no end why Mattel would make those as the original figures but not other movie versions of the characters.
    I am not 100% sure of in the past, but currently its a rights issue. Mattel doesnt own the movie rights (this movie anyway) nor the rights to use the actors likness. SO thats an issue.

Also when the movie came out orignally MOTU was very close to the end, and Mattel knew it. Part of the decline was due to the same thing that hurt 200x, a lot of the big 2, not so much of the others. The movie didnt do all that well either. So knowing that the big two were not selling (plus if they did them there was the possiblity of having to pay for the actors likness as I am not sure how the contracts were written) they went with a few others. Instead of repaints they went with new molds and new charcters hoping to breathe new life into MOTU. It just didnt work. The movie charcters, unless I am mistaken, were in the last wave of MOTU so there was no chance to make any other characters after that.

Well, My question about the issue of them having the rights to make unproduced Movie Characters made it to the next Q&A so i guess we will know by next month or so if they have the rights or not.

As I recall, the NA He-man and Skeletor versions were based off the Movie versions. I wouldn't be surprised to see "Variants" of them in shall we call it, coincidental colorations?

Oh, and from the movie, I'd only be interested in a Langella Skeletor, and perhaps Evil Lyn.
    Last edited by Pravus Prime; August 18, 2008 at 08:17pm.
    Matty, Great Black Wizard figure please!

I like the Frank Langella Skeletor but I think I could do without these types of figures.
    :2/16/2010:
    I try to forget but the pain won't go away. Never forget, Never forgive.

Famous last words: "But I had a coupon!"

Sheboygan,WI(Home of the Worlds Biggest Bratwurst Celebration)
    Quote Originally Posted by adam03 View Post
    I just find the marvel comic version goes better with the classic theme of the figures.
    I'd agree with you on that.I mean the original figures looked kinda cartoony,then came the movie figures and they looked out of place to me at the time and kinda still do.They looked like they were for more of a "mature" kid,for bigger kids to play with.Except Gwildor,he still looked like a cartoon.

Quote Originally Posted by Toymaker View Post
    I think there should have been more movie figures in the old line, so lets have em here!
    At the time we didnt need them,as kids we already had He-man,Skeletor,Beast man,MAA,Evil Lyn,Teela,Soceress,and Karg was probably considered too scary for kids,but we didnt have these new characters.So why make more versions of exsiting characters,even though they were the coolest versions ever.I certainly would've liked them.

Quote Originally Posted by adam03 View Post
    I`m guessing due to trademark and copyright reasons they won`t be done unless given permission from Cannon films as they own the rights to the movie, but again the comic versions are not off limits! So I wouldn`t bet too hard on movie accurate figs.
    Were'nt Blade,Gwildor,and Saurod movie accurate at the time?To me they were,and considering the scupting and tooling on toys in the 80's is now prehistoric for the most part.The toy industry has come along way in 20 plus years.Now looking at my 80's movie figures and having just watched the movie today,Blade looks like the actor that played him,you can totally tell Gwildor is Billy Barty,and Saurod you cant tell at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Atkin View Post
    I don't really think it is necessary to have the figures look like the actors. Just give me a regular He-Man figure wearing a movie "style" costume and I'm happy
    Iv'e said that before as well.And I agree with you 100% on that.But the Blade figure still looked like the actor that played him,and we got a figure of him.

Quote Originally Posted by Rainbow Brite View Post
    Do foreign mini comics count?

Thats awsome.What is that?And where can I get one?

Quote Originally Posted by Beastman_Power View Post
    I like the Frank Langella Skeletor but I think I could do without these types of figures.
    Which types are you refering to?
    My active ebay items for sale.http://shop.ebay.com/merchant/taddow...Q_fromZQQ_mdoZ
    --------------------------------------------
    GOOD TRADERS
    jbaw2, Dr.Omega, Andrea_the_cat@yahoo.it, tmcclurg, celticsfan, THEGODBEAST, Venom77713, Royalt1us, racerx, davidlogan, granbeetle, MOTU SAN JOSE 2, prime731,galaxywarrior,Butterflyer,Creasy Bear.

Quote Originally Posted by Rainbow Brite View Post
    Do foreign mini comics count?

I hope that counts because its awesome. I want one. What figure did it come with?
    Last edited by evenflow; August 22, 2008 at 09:56am.
    Quote the Raven, Nevermore.
    It can't rain all the time.

"Live the journey, for every destination is but a doorway to another."

Widget

toys

hells yeah

Quote Originally Posted by kai View Post
    Ohh, those He-man and Skeletor variants i'd definately buy!

heidi

Heroic Warrior
    I agree with the point in avoiding actor likenesses and just using some different paint jobs and acessories to make them look like the movie style. Maybe a grizzlor could become a movie beastman.

-CM Punk

I think I'd buy a Blade or a Saurod. I thought they were pretty good characters.
    chikarapro.com Loco Lucha Libre!!!

Heroic Warrior
    I think the Blade and Saurod figures for their time were rather impressive, especially for MOTU. Just too bad we could never get movie He-Man or Skeletor.

Just put the Skeletor and He-Man from this series in movie outfits, maybe give Skeletor an alternate head sculpt ala Man At Arms.

Do movie Teela and Man At Arms too.

-CM Punk

Heroic Master of Music baileyrecords's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Prozac View Post
    I think I'd buy a Blade or a Saurod. I thought they were pretty good characters.

I'd buy them both for sure. Never had either as a child.
    I am Stratos, Heroic Master of Music! and proud member of the Ohio Masters

Please check out my Kaiju Kaos: Smackdown Kickstarter going on now until Feb 12th. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by BURTDAWG View Post
    At the time we didnt need them,as kids we already had He-man,Skeletor,Beast man,MAA,Evil Lyn,Teela,Soceress,and Karg was probably considered too scary for kids,but we didnt have these new characters.So why make more versions of exsiting characters,even though they were the coolest versions ever.I certainly would've liked them.

The point I was trying to make was that yes, those of us with the line from the start did have all those characters, but this was the 6th year of MOTU, and we hadn't seen MAA, Teela and Beast-Man since the first year, and Evil-Lyn since the 2nd, and these were the characters that appeared most on the cartoon, MAA, Teela and Beast-Man also featured on POP.

Whilst variants brought the new line down, I think a couple of extra ones in the original line may have helped. Plus we may have got a MAA with mustache!!
    Tweet Me!

I've just changed my profile picture because we got Geldor in MOTUC!

Quote Originally Posted by Toymaker View Post
    Tbut this was the 6th year of MOTU, and we hadn't seen MAA, Teela and Beast-Man since the first year, and Evil-Lyn since the 2nd,
    That isn't entirely true. Most of these characters remained in prduction for all the original run, and were available on the toyshelves all the years.

Heroic Warrior
    We already had movie He-man and Skeletor.

They're called Laser Light He-man and Skeletor. Discuss.
    "That should hold them for a while!"

eaglehost@hotmail.co.uk

Heroic Warrior
    I guess you are counting those because I assume they came with the movie mini-comic, right? Even though they don't resemble the movie counterparts at all like the three other movie figures.

Still if we are to go that far, then there is a precedent to make movie versions of Skeletor and He-man for the new series .

-CM Punk

Über Fan Adam_Prince of Eternia's Avatar
    I guess you are counting those because I assume they came with the movie mini-comic, right? Even though they don't resemble the movie counterparts at all like the three other movie figures.

Still if we are to go that far, then there is a precedent to make movie versions of Skeletor and He-man for the new series .
    They cannot have the likenesses of the actors, so why bother?

Heroic Warrior
    Because I thought that's the whole point of this series. This very question was brought up in the Toyfare interview. The 4H didn't outright shoot it down.

If not likenesses, they can sorta be given movie like costumes. As chases or variants, I would love that.

-CM Punk

Collector of Toys 4 Life
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Ed View Post
    I normally don't like actor-likenesses for character-figures (take the Batman Begins-figures for example), but a Dolph Lundgren He-Man and a Frank Langela Skeletor designed and sculpted by the 4HM I definitely would buy!

other than that I'm only interested in Blade and Saurod and maybe also in Karg... Just please no Gwildor!

edDy
    Huh? don't like movie figures that look like the actors who played them in the movie? Kind of defeats the purpose doesn't it? If i'm buying a movie-based figure, i want it to look as close as possible to how the character/actor looks in the movie. I can't stand it when movie based figures look like cheap knock-offs.
    Take the vintage Star wars figures for example, those look awful to me and always did. The new ones look much better since they're almost dead on likenesses. I'd be very ticked off If they made a Capt. Picard star trek NG figure that looked nothing like Patrick Stewart, or a Han Solo figure that looks nothing like Harrison Ford. The actor IS the character.

Same goes for any motu movie figures, they should look very much like the characters/actors from the movie. Otherwise don't bother making them at all. Authenticity & accuracy is what matters most imo. I'm not real keen on the movie myself, i was disappointed by it as a kid & never got any of the movie figs.

If they made them now, with improved sculpts & such i'd probably buy them all though (not sure about the HM & skelly though), but most likely gwildor i would buy even though I would have preferred to have seen Orko in the movie instead.
    Blade, Saurod & Gwildor, yes. If they make Karg, yes. The others, not so sure about. I prefer the toon/toy versions of them more.
    Lifelong fan of: MOTU, G.I.Joe, Transformers, most 'good' movies of any genre, Star Wars, oldies/classic rock & country music, WWE/WWF/WCW/NWA wrestling, old school circus sideshow performers & fictional movie 'creatures', my friends and family. oh, yes...and I love action figures!!!!!

Support MVCreations for MOTUC!!!!

Just Blade for me please! He´s very cool, but the rest,