Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 816171819 LastLast

Thread: 1987 Movie figs in MotUC?

1987 Film rights update?

Has anyone heard any new news on the rights to the film from 1987? I would hope they are still working on it as figures need to be made of Lubic, Karg, Skeletor's Storm Troopers, and the Earthling couple Julie and Kevin.
    Good Journey

Heroic Warrior
    If I were to guess, I'd say this is not something they will ever pursue. I think they will release only the 3 original movie figures. If the line makes it that far.

Warner Bros has no interest in releasing the rights unless they make a fortune off of it.

Quote Originally Posted by JRLTML View Post
    Has anyone heard any new news on the rights to the film from 1987? I would hope they are still working on it as figures need to be made of Lubic, Karg, Skeletor's Storm Troopers, and the Earthling couple Julie and Kevin.
    Not heard anything, no. But I would be all over a Karg figure and a set of the storm troopers. Both would be easily written into the canon, and I imagine the Horesmen literally being psyched at the thought of claccisising them! Not sure about Julie and Kevin but as for Lubec - he was damn cool. I would literally die for the chance to own a movie skeletor as well!
    MOTUC: What we need NOW:
    KARG, Eldor, Horde Troopers, NA Skeletor, Sagitar

I don’t think obtaining them are high up on Mattel’s list of priorities. Personally, I can’t really see why they’re desired by fans so much. Apart from Karg, they can already produce the only three interesting characters the movie gave us. I must admit, I would buy a movie Skeletor, but apart from him and Karg and the characters they can already make, I don’t think I would buy anyone else. Kevin and Julie figures? No thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Krueger View Post
    I don’t think obtaining them are high up on Mattel’s list of priorities. Personally, I can’t really see why they’re desired by fans so much. Apart from Karg, they can already produce the only three interesting characters the movie gave us. I must admit, I would buy a movie Skeletor, but apart from him and Karg and the characters they can already make, I don’t think I would buy anyone else. Kevin and Julie figures? No thanks.
    I agree. A Dolph He-Man might be interesting, though.
    My seller/trader/buyer feedback:
    http://he-man.org/forums/boards/showthread.php?t=195461

MOTUC Most Wanted: 1) Stridor 2) Night Stalker 3) Squeeeze 4) Roton 5) Multi-Bot 6) Dragstor 7) Saurod 8) Blast-Attak 9) Karg 10) Lodar 11) Mask of Power Demons 12) TC Skeletor 13) FF He-Man 14) Talon Fighter/Point Dread 15) Road Ripper 16) Lord Masque 17) Filmation Teela

Quote Originally Posted by Krueger View Post
    I for one would love a Meg Foster as Evil Lyn figure.

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h2...ilyn_movie.jpg
    "Don't crowd me boys!"

Quote Originally Posted by JRLTML View Post
    I believe that TG stated at SDCC that they proposed a deal to Warner Bros. for the rights to make figs of the other movie-based characters, and they laughed. So, it's unlikely that we'll be seeing them anytime soon.
    If you have a Queen Marlena cardback to sell, please let me know.

My feedback: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=212100
    MOTUC for sale: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=212096
    200x for sale: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=213585
    I have a huge lot of Garbage Pail Kids (GPK) cards I'm also selling. PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by Donimo View Post
    I believe that TG stated at SDCC that they proposed a deal to Warner Bros. for the rights to make figs of the other movie-based characters, and they laughed. So, it's unlikely that we'll be seeing them anytime soon.
    I remeber TG saying this as well. It would seem that the only way we might see the rights to the film characters/designs is if there is a new MOTU movie and possibly only if its produced by Warner Brothers.
    "Don't crowd me boys!"

Greatful his pants are on bskcase's Avatar
    I remember TG speaking on it. WB was asking way too much with too many conditions. I don't think well be seeing those any time soon. At least we will get Blade, Saurod, and Gwildor. I have a gut feeling Gwildor will be the first.
    We survived the long night.... MOTU Forever!

Realist. Deal with it. Lord Anubis's Avatar
    If Gwildor gets a bucket of ribs, I will take back anything I ever said bad about Mattel.
    "We are the tools of our own imagination, constructing temples and cathedrals in which our most outlandish dreams become truth." - Samael

Regarding movie-deco versions of characters like SKELETOR, LYN, HE-MAN, etc., didn't Toy Guru say that Mattel can do characters that they own in any deco they want? I believe he was talking about RANDOR and MARLENA's mini-comic vs. Filmation look, and this was before they had Filmation rights. I couldn't find the quote, but he was definitely implying that because they owned those characters, they could do Filmation versions even without the rights. Wouldn't this apply to movie versions too?
    "I damned the world to save my daughter once... and I will do it for her again."
    I do custom action figures, commissioned art, and I will make any Masters of the Universe costume, tailored to you!
    View my website! http://www.havocstaff.50megs.com

I would love movie versions of all the characters, and of course Lubic would need to be made first. Don't think it will ever happen though.
    Quote the Raven, Nevermore.
    It can't rain all the time.

"Live the journey, for every destination is but a doorway to another."

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Anubis View Post
    If Gwildor gets a bucket of ribs, I will take back anything I ever said bad about Mattel.
    LOL! That would be a great accessory.

Heroic Warrior
    Yeah,Really a shame.Skelletor's Trooper looks cool.I would love to see those at least.

Gosh, I'd be so happy if we could get movie figures in teh Classics style. I seriously want Julie, Kevin, the crack troops, Lubic, Karg, and movie styled versions (in the Classics look, of course) of He-Man, Duncan, Teela, Skeletor, God Skeletor, Evil Lyn, and oh, I cannot forget...Pig Boy! That would make my day.
    Not to sound like a creepy cheerleader for Uki, but it's nice to know there is at least one person on this forum who is extremely positive & friendly all the time. I don't think I could be that nice even if you paid me. If we ever give out awards for "forum member of the month", Uki gets my vote. -Mr. Shokoti

Subscribe for MOTUC 2015!!!

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Vahn View Post
    Regarding movie-deco versions of characters like SKELETOR, LYN, HE-MAN, etc., didn't Toy Guru say that Mattel can do characters that they own in any deco they want? I believe he was talking about RANDOR and MARLENA's mini-comic vs. Filmation look, and this was before they had Filmation rights. I couldn't find the quote, but he was definitely implying that because they owned those characters, they could do Filmation versions even without the rights. Wouldn't this apply to movie versions too?
    No because Mattel made certain concessions during the licensing where the CONCEPTS of the characters were a unique property of the film- although Mattel could completely get away with doing similarly colored versions of the characters. The problem would come when trying to give them costumes accurate to the movie which would be totally off limits. Mattel could create He-Man, Lynn, Skeletor, etc. movie style but they would only be so in colorway and not appearance. Even if Mattel DID have the rights to make the characters they would still have to pay the rights to each actors likeness and I doubt they would want the trouble.

Impin' Ain't Easy! DreamTripper's Avatar
    I'll be happy to never see the rights to movie figures for the sole purpose of never, EVER, seeing a Lubic figure.

Ever.

Support Bili the Droid
    It's GrAyskull. It's posted all over the packaging and this site.
    CANON-the body of rules, principles, or standards accepted as axiomatic and universally binding in a field of study or art, such as a storyline
    CANNON-a mounted gun for firing heavy projectiles; a gun, howitzer, or mortar.

Imp is here!
    I will change my avatar as soon as Songster is made in MOTUC

Heroic Warrior
    Didn't Mattel have concept drawings of Karg somewhere, I thought I remember being mentioned. Out of the ones that were never made in toy form, he might be the only one they'd be able to do. But I could be wrong.
    Good Traders:
    fbiagentcooper, The_Donster, Captain Miro, Satonic, grimghost, robb

Heroic Warrior
    Blade is crucial.

I think a dolph he-man, Langella skeletor would make for an awesome con two pack exclusive someday.
    bnl4life

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Capt_Piett View Post
    Didn't Mattel have concept drawings of Karg somewhere, I thought I remember being mentioned. Out of the ones that were never made in toy form, he might be the only one they'd be able to do. But I could be wrong.
    I'm pretty sure I recall hearing something about that- wasn't the major problem that it got into grey territory that Mattel wasn't willing to deal with?

Quote Originally Posted by vertigoink View Post
    No because Mattel made certain concessions during the licensing where the CONCEPTS of the characters were a unique property of the film-
    Damn.

..... Even if Mattel DID have the rights to make the characters they would still have to pay the rights to each actors likeness and I doubt they would want the trouble.
    I'd be happy with the current MOTUC faces (but with Dolph's haircut on He-Man) on them, but the costumes similar to the movie versions. And they wouldn't have to pay for guys like Langella since it's not his likeness anyway. However, I'd really want Blade to look like Anthony DeLongis.
    "I damned the world to save my daughter once... and I will do it for her again."
    I do custom action figures, commissioned art, and I will make any Masters of the Universe costume, tailored to you!
    View my website! http://www.havocstaff.50megs.com

Heroic Warrior
    No because Mattel made certain concessions during the licensing where the CONCEPTS of the characters were a unique property of the film- although Mattel could completely get away with doing similarly colored versions of the characters. The problem would come when trying to give them costumes accurate to the movie which would be totally off limits. Mattel could create He-Man, Lynn, Skeletor, etc. movie style but they would only be so in colorway and not appearance. Even if Mattel DID have the rights to make the characters they would still have to pay the rights to each actors likeness and I doubt they would want the trouble.
    I wouldn't mind seeing a Movie He-man in the future... I'm sure there are ways around using their likenesses, like sculpting the face a bit differently so it doesn't look like Dolph.

Quote Originally Posted by mekaneckpain View Post
    I wouldn't mind seeing a Movie He-man in the future... I'm sure there are ways around using their likenesses, like sculpting the face a bit differently so it doesn't look like Dolph.
    Laser Light He-Man's head...
    FINALLY!! GLIMMER IS IN MY SHELF!! Now I need a Crita!! Crita is to Mara what Evil Lyn is to Teela. If we ARE getting Mara, then we NEED Crita.