Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: 1987 Movie figs in MotUC?

Evil Apologist of Mattel® Count Marzo's Avatar
    I'd take a Saurod. That's probably about it.
    -=¤EvilCøuntMarzø¤=-
    BLÅÇK FLØWËRŠ!!!!

Heroic Photog Supporter musclor's Avatar
    I would definitely buy a Langella Skeletor, Blade, Saurod, Karg, and Gwildor. I might be convinced to pick up a few others.

I would love a God Skeletor!

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Atkin View Post
    CANNON films does not exist anymore. I think Warner Brothers has the rights to that film, as they released the DVDs. If WB does the new film, I don't think releasing classic figures from the original movie would be an issue.

Again though, I really don't think they need to be 100% accurate. Just nods to the movie designs would be nice. An "all black" Skeletor with a cape doesn't have to be called MOTU:TMP Skeletor for us fans to go nuts over it.
    Actually MGM (Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer) owns the rights to the Cannon library and have full rights to everything including the Superman trilogy except part 4 and Masters of the Universe. MGM has been owned by Sony Corporation since 2004 so, Mattel would have to get permission from them to use anything that wasn`t made in the 80`s not to mention the fact that Lundgren and Langella needs to give their likeness rights for the movie figs to made of them, but I`m pretty sure that MGM owns most of the intellectual properties from the Masters movie. Like you said there were guys from the movie made in the 80`s line, and the comic is 100% free game so hopefully movie figs will come to fruition.

*batteries not included Captain Atkin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by adam03 View Post
    Actually MGM (Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer) owns the rights to the Cannon library and have full rights to everything including the Superman trilogy except part 4 and Masters of the Universe. MGM has been owned by Sony Corporation since 2004 so, Mattel would have to get permission from them to use anything that wasn`t made in the 80`s not to mention the fact that Lundgren and Langella needs to give their likeness rights for the movie figs to made of them, but I`m pretty sure that MGM owns most of the intellectual properties from the Masters movie. Like you said there were guys from the movie made in the 80`s line, and the comic is 100% free game so hopefully movie figs will come to fruition.

Well, Langella wore a mask, so I don't know why he would need to give his approval. Sure we see his eyes, but it's still a mask. I don't really think it is necessary to have the figures look like the actors. Just give me a regular He-Man figure wearing a movie "style" costume and I'm happy
    "Live the journey, for every destination is but a doorway to another." --- Man-At-Arms

www.hemanworld.com

Well I`m guessing there will be a few movie figs seeing how the cosmic key and Gwildor were used in the mini comics, but I think they should be their Hasbro Movie comic counterparts meaning their would be no Lundgren and Langella and no movie Teela and Man at Arms. He Man, Skeletor, Evil Lyn, Man at arms and Teela would be their regular selves just like in the comic/cartoon, no re releases of charactrers (save for movie Beastman) not sure why they only changed him in the comic. What do you guys think? I perfer the comic to the actual movie and think they should release only the new "bad guys" from the movie in comic book form like they did in the 80`s.
    Why would you make figures from the movie and NOT make He-Man and Skeletor??

I never understood that back in the day, and it would make even less sense now, since they know lots of us have been wanting movie versions of He-Man and Skelly since 1987.

It doesn't have to be the actors' likenesses, just regular He-Man and Skeletor in movie costumes, as has been said. Which you know is what they would have done back in the day anyway.

I do agree that they should make more other characters before they start doing variants, and then I would like to see the Battle Armor figures done first because those were always the best, but the NEED to make movie He-Man and Skeletor! Even though I've done a few movie Skeletor customs, I still want a proper figure of it. That was the best Skeletor design EVER!

I dream of a movie Skeletor figure that has interchangable armor so he could transform into God Skeletor. That would be the ultimate.

Yeah, I would totally buy other characters from the movie too, especially Saurod. They NEED to make movie figurs in this line, especially if they're going to be doing New Adventures as well (and I love NA, but still, you get the point).

But they absolutely HAVE to make movie He-Man and Skeletor if they do movie figures in this line. It's been 21 years so far, how much longer do we have to wait?
    Last edited by VaderLives; August 11, 2008 at 11:28am.
    Continuing the story from where the new cartoon left off.
    Click here to check out The Continuing Adventures of He-Man!

"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain."
    -Harvey Dent

Great people to deal with: TRAPPER, Oz-Scott, RacerX, Rmfd79emt, Paugh, vpbpi, Royalt1us, Buffdaddyjk, SpydeR, Dr. Smith, Lord Anubis

As I'd love a full batch of Movie figures (hey, have you seen my avatar?), unfortunately I believe we're very far from them right now.
    The movie rights are now in MGM hands and I haven't seen a single Mattel copyright or legal line on the Soundtrack CD just released

That new soundtrack came out?
    Continuing the story from where the new cartoon left off.
    Click here to check out The Continuing Adventures of He-Man!

"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain."
    -Harvey Dent

Great people to deal with: TRAPPER, Oz-Scott, RacerX, Rmfd79emt, Paugh, vpbpi, Royalt1us, Buffdaddyjk, SpydeR, Dr. Smith, Lord Anubis

Quote Originally Posted by VaderLives View Post
    That new soundtrack came out?
    Yep, it did, the week of San Diego.
    ....forgive me but "The search feature is your friend"

Well, I think, after the "their killin teh lien" shirt, we should make one with that phrase...

I just had a thought. If they make a movie inspired He-Man in Dolph Lundgren’s likeness, then later they can make a Laser Power He-Man that comes with a classic head and a Dolph head.

Quote Originally Posted by FAKER II View Post
    I just had a thought. If they make a movie inspired He-Man in Dolph Lundgren’s likeness, then later they can make a Laser Power He-Man that comes with a classic head and a Dolph head.
    Mattel needs permission from MGM and Dolf himself for a movie fig in his likeness, I don`t see it happening, Too much legal red tape for a single action figure.

Mattel needs permission from MGM and Dolf himself for a movie fig in his likeness, I don`t see it happening, Too much legal red tape for a single action figure.
    It was just an idea. I doubt we’ll actually get movie He-Man or Laser Power He-Man in MOTUC. Given that MOTUC is being distributed online only, it’s possible that MGM and Dolph might be more cooperative than if MOTUC had a mass distribution in stores. Not likely, but one can always hope.

Quote Originally Posted by FAKER II View Post
    It was just an idea. I doubt we’ll actually get movie He-Man or Laser Power He-Man in MOTUC. Given that MOTUC is being distributed online only, it’s possible that MGM and Dolph might be more cooperative than if MOTUC had a mass distribution in stores. Not likely, but one can always hope.
    Laser Power He-Man had a variant head which was the same as the original He-man head, so it could still get made.

*batteries not included Captain Atkin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RocketPunch View Post
    Laser Power He-Man had a variant head which was the same as the original He-man head, so it could still get made.

I don't think we will ever get different heads in MOTU classics for He-Man and Skeletor if movie figures get made. Maybe Skeletor will have his skull painted white, but that is probably it. He-Man could also be given a "Lundgren" style haircut, but keep the same face as the classic style He-Man to avoid both brand confusion and legal problems.
    "Live the journey, for every destination is but a doorway to another." --- Man-At-Arms

www.hemanworld.com

Colors make you happy! Rainbow Brite's Avatar
    Do foreign mini comics count?

Quote Originally Posted by Rainbow Brite View Post
    Do foreign mini comics count?
    Nope
    MOTU characters and looks belongs to the movie and can't probably be used exactly like the Filmation characters and look.
    Saurod, Blade and Gwildor are probably in a gray area, but considering how Mattel acts in these cases, they will never take chances on them

Quote Originally Posted by Emiliano View Post
    Nope
    MOTU characters and looks belongs to the movie and can't probably be used exactly like the Filmation characters and look.
    Saurod, Blade and Gwildor are probably in a gray area, but considering how Mattel acts in these cases, they will never take chances on them
    ummm... but if it's the same for the movie-figures as for filmation-characters, then redesigned Blade, Saurod & Gwildor should be available for MotUC since they had been part of the original 80s-toyline and also showed up in the mini-comic the cosmic key... maybe blade and gwildor can't have the movie-faces, but actually I prefer them not to have. isn't it so?

edDy
    Evil is a point of view - Lestat in Interview with the Vampire

See my trading feedback here: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...eedback-Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Ed View Post
    ummm... but if it's the same for the movie-figures as for filmation-characters, then redesigned Blade, Saurod & Gwildor should be available for MotUC since they had been part of the original 80s-toyline and also showed up in the mini-comic the cosmic key... maybe blade and gwildor can't have the movie-faces, but actually I prefer them not to have. isn't it so?

edDy
    Well, you need to re read the second part of my reply
    Mattel is not going to take the risk of sliding something under other's companies eyes, especially if a deal can be worked in the future.

grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar
    All I need to do to sell me on the idea is to think of the gold suited Skeletor "I Am A GOD!!!" version being sculpted by the Horsemen.

Escuse me while the fanboy drool dribbles down my chin....
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

Well, I want KARG for sure, never knew why they skipped him in the old line.
    I also want Saurod and God Skeletor.

Quote Originally Posted by Emiliano View Post
    Well, you need to re read the second part of my reply
    Mattel is not going to take the risk of sliding something under other's companies eyes, especially if a deal can be worked in the future.
    I did, I just wasn't convinced yet that this would be "sliding something under other's companies eyes"...

edDy
    Evil is a point of view - Lestat in Interview with the Vampire

See my trading feedback here: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...eedback-Thread

Heroic Warrior
    I would totally pay top dollar for these just because. Especially for Langella Skeletor .

BOOK IT MATTEL!
    "This is true. This is real. This . . . is . . . STRAIGHT EDGE."

-CM Punk

let me be the downer

um no. I'd rather see something else made besides figures from the 1987 movie. Maybe if they ran out of characters and needed to use some of them then fine. But there are POP ones that I'd rather see first.
    Obey the whip!

Smile like you mean it.

I would love to see Karg as a figure, since I've always wondered why he was skipped. Blade and Saurod and Gwildor too. Lubic maybe...

But I don't wish to have these figures usurp a spot for some of the more popular PoP and MotU figures though. Since the movie figures didn't show up until about year 5 of the original line, I think that would be a good time for them to show up this time around... provided that MotUC lasts that long of course.
    Got Fur

I want a Glimmer by the end of 2012 and Extendar by 2013!
    Other Wants:
    MotU: Rokkon, Stonedar, Dragstor, Modulok, Multi-bot, Horde Trooper, DB Skeletor
    PoP: Peekablue, Madam Razz, Lighthope, Kowl
    NA: Quakke, Sagitarr
    MYP: Hawk, Queen Andreenos, Lord Dactys
    Mini-Comics: Kex Queen, Tug-of-War Yellow Warrior, King Hiss' Slave Girl

Heroic Warrior
    Movie stuff is brought up in the 4 Horsemen interview. They didn't outright deny it. And the answer made it seem like it could be possible somewhere down the line.

I mean I think this is one of the reasons why the collector oriented site is happening. To make stuff like this. I mean DC Direct started doing tons of everything eventually. I see no reason why not sometime in the future.
    "This is true. This is real. This . . . is . . . STRAIGHT EDGE."

-CM Punk