Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: 1987 Movie figs in MotUC?

Very cool, not as good as the Skeletors but still would love one.
    Quote the Raven, Nevermore.
    It can't rain all the time.

"Live the journey, for every destination is but a doorway to another."

I would buy any movie figures released!
    PRAISE HESTIA!!!

"Yep! And now I'm gonna blast ya!"

- Orko to Skeletor in "Lessons"

Whoa, I don't even like the movie OR the classics line, but that figure is too awesome for me to pass up!

i'd buy them if they were made. skeletor looks pretty sweet.
    People sleep peaceably at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Ghost In The Machine Staff Of Ka's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TCM Hitchhiker View Post
    NO thanks. I went to see the movie in the theater and still remember leaving appalled, even though I could tell by the previews it wasn't going to stink.
    I saw it in the cinema too, and while it annoyed me that they had messed with it so much, I Loved most of the designs, particularly Skeletor, Even with the abilities of CGI nowadays, I still believe Frank Langella's performance is second to none.
    And its a fun romp, with a very interesting 'Crystal' concept for sorceress.
    What I hated (even as a 16yo) was the sparkley modern interior of Greyskull -would be great as The palace of eternia!- and the sequence that I still cant watch without cringing/fast forwarding is the 'Vegetarian' scene! *shudder*
    But Id love figures in MOTUC from the film, especially Skeletor/God skeletor and Evil Lyn.
    Cheers AJ

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by BURTDAWG View Post
    I think they would be great figures.No matter how one feels about the movie,the look of the charachters I think were awsome,except Skeletor should not have had eye balls.They could of put some black mesh over it to try and hide them.I may be in the minority,but I still love that movie.I think they could do the designs,but not the likeness of real people,unless they paid for the rights to use them.
    someone photo shop the motu movie photo i got to see that skeletor no eye balls lol.....

ooh i fouind a pic with red glowing eyes i could see this but pitch black.. that would look wierd!

http://www.krosis.com/imgs/art/full/skeletor.jpg

I wouldn't lose any sleep if any kind of figure (let alone motuc) were never made based on this film. I know I'll get burned for this, but IMO this particular film is probably best forgotten.

Someone like Albert Pyun (The Sword and the Sorcerer, Cyborg) should have really been directing this film. His background was based on making gang movies and motu in essence is about a couple of gangs knocking heads once in a while. He has a much better talent for fantasy theme translation to cinema and knows how to to maximize the budget where it is needed in this genre.

Gary Goddard was in way over his head (the guy makes VR theme park attractions) and just did not have the talent to put this project in the right direction. The film narrative is extremely poor and the core characters were badly developed. I felt no connection towards any of the characters unlike Motu's spiritual sequel Cyborg.

Frank Langella's performance was nice but he seemed more like a clone of Emperor Palpatine then anything based on Skeletor lore. By comparison Vincent Klyn perfectly epitomizes Hordak in Cyborg.

The day I see Gwildor in the motuc range is the day I stop collecting motuc. Or maybe I might buy him just so I can burn the little ****er!!!

Albert - Captain America stealing a Fiat 500 after stealing another car after defreezing - Pyun?!
    Seriously?

Just for the record, Gary Goddard received the script from Mattel and he had to use it.
    Langella is nothing like Palpatine (or as I hear often, Vader). He really created a very unique take on Skeletor, which is still my favourite.

And bring Gwildor into MOTUC!

Quote Originally Posted by Emiliano View Post
    Albert - Captain America stealing a Fiat 500 after stealing another car after defreezing - Pyun?!
    Seriously?
    Dude Captain America was a great success considering he financed most of it from his own pocket when the financing fell out. The fact that he would not stop until the film was on shelves is a testament to his commitment to any project he does.

And are you really going to bag a man who trained under Akira Kurosawa?

The fact is Cyborg is a much better film closer to motu lore and was made on not even a third of the originals budget.

Go watch The Sword and the Sorceress if you want to see a real he-man film (trust me you will be glad you did and it may change you opinion of Pyun). A Pyun film has blood, guts, muscles and boobs. Its the perfect combination for any Adult MOTUC collector.

Every director is given a script dude, its how they apply their craft that makes a good film.

Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyHall666 View Post
    Pyun film has blood, guts, muscles and boobs. Its the perfect combination for any Adult MOTUC collector.
    Then our opionions would diverge a lot more.
    I don't think MOTU is about "blood, guts, muscles and boobs".
    That's very far from my idea of MOTU

Quote Originally Posted by Emiliano View Post
    Then our opionions would diverge a lot more.
    I don't think MOTU is about "blood, guts, muscles and boobs".
    That's very far from my idea of MOTU
    Not being about blood and guts I can understand but no muscles??? C'mon man, how can you have motu without the muscle?

Lol, just kidding mate. We have to agree to disagree at some point. I just remember being extremely disappointed with the film when I saw it as a child. I saw it again a couple of years ago after doing some film studies and I could actually draw out the intertextual reasons for it being a bad film.

I actually had a Gwildor toy as a child but I always made sure he was kept away from my other he-man toys so he wouldn't connote that god forsaken movie.

If they ever got around to doing a MOTUC version I can imagen doing the same.

I'm also someone who doesn't believe MOTU blood and guts.

And I say bring on the Gwildor!
    I'd love to see a MOTUC Gwildor.

Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    I'm also someone who doesn't believe MOTU blood and guts.

And I say bring on the Gwildor!
    I'd love to see a MOTUC Gwildor.
    Please bring Gwildor. He is an awesome character. If you get passed the herby gimmick and make him serious. He definitly has the second most powerful weapon besides the Power Sword and maybe the Havoc Staff.
    http://Motu.com.co
    Is is now up and live please check it out and spread the word please!!!

Follow me on Twitter
    BrianOzone
    My feedback threadhttp://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...or-Brian-Ozone

I love Gwildor.
    He's ultra smart (he friggin' invented inter-dimensional / time travel) and he's a lot less annoying than Orko.
    Definitely one of my most wanted figures!
    SUPERHEMANMIKE

"It tasted good..." - Gwildor

I want Gwildor! He wasn't a bad character. I would say bring Blade too, but since the 200X line. I can see Tri-Klops more as that character.
    "I mark the hours every one, Nor have I yet outrun the Sun. My use & value unto you, are gauged by what you have to do."
    Enscribed onto Hermione Granger's Time Turner from Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

Heroic Weather Oddity Raining Light's Avatar
    I am all for some movie figures.
    They could even do some "bonus" figures-like Teela in the movie outfit.
    I became insane with long intervals of horrible sanity--Edgar Allen Poe

Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyHall666 View Post

Go watch The Sword and the Sorceress if you want to see a real he-man film (trust me you will be glad you did and it may change you opinion of Pyun). A Pyun film has blood, guts, muscles and boobs. Its the perfect combination for any Adult MOTUC collector.

I'm guessing you meant The Sword and the Sorcerer, I couldn't find any film on IMDB called The Sword and the Sorceress, let alone one by Pyun. I'm not trying to be all nitpicky, I just wanted to make sure I had the right movie.
    Matty, Great Black Wizard figure please!

Quote Originally Posted by Pravus Prime View Post
    I'm guessing you meant The Sword and the Sorcerer, I couldn't find any film on IMDB called The Sword and the Sorceress, let alone one by Pyun. I'm not trying to be all nitpicky, I just wanted to make sure I had the right movie.
    yes that's it The Sword and the Sorcerer (1982). Go see it you'll love it and hope that the new motu film could be half as good. As for you guys who don't like blood and guts do you really want the new motu film to turn out like Hercules The Legendary Journeys?

I thought that show was a lot of fun.
    Hercules and Xena were enjoyable for me to watch, and they both did quite well during their time on the air.

I'm not there to turn MOTU into some ultra-violent spectacle just because they have swords and guns.
    It's fantasy. It's suspension of belief.
    Besides, it was designed as a children's toy, which was made a phenomenon by Filmation which down played barbarity and shaped it so it was accessible to a larger child audience. Mattel is always going to want that element to be there in some fashion because their business is primarily child related.

Just because we get older doesn't mean MOTU has to mature with us. I know some of us want that, but I can easily accept MOTU to be all-ages even today.
    Please check out my gallery on Deviantart
    And here's hoping for the return of Power-Con!

I'm not there to turn MOTU into some ultra-violent spectacle just because they have swords and guns.
    It's fantasy. It's suspension of belief.
    Besides, it was designed as a children's toy, which was made a phenomenon by Filmation which down played barbarity and shaped it so it was accessible to a larger child audience. Mattel is always going to want that element to be there in some fashion because their business is primarily child related.

Just because we get older doesn't mean MOTU has to mature with us. I know some of us want that, but I can easily accept MOTU to be all-ages even today.
    I have to disagree here. I think trying to capture the child audience is what put the nail in the coffin for 200X. And we all know that line survived (to the extent it did) on the skin of its teeth by hardcore adult enthusiasts and not the child audience.

Having experience in advertising I know for a fact that motu would be a difficult sell for the vigilant younger generation. Unless you have ‘High School the MOTU Musical’ as its title it’s just not going to sell in the current atmosphere with the numbers required to sustain future opportunity in that demographic.

IMO John Stevenson will try to do the old wam-bam on this one and try to make something as forgettable and disposable as possible. (You think anyone’s going to remember Kung Fu Panda in another two years?) Once again we have a director who is in way over his head and only has two extremely bad kiddie safe movies to his director’s credit.

Motu is now a cult item and it needs to cultivated as such. The origin of motu is a much darker place then what is depicted in both the filmation and the first motion picture. Albert Pyun understood this and with Cyborg/MOTU2 wanted to take motu back to its roots of a desolate world governed by small gangs where only the strong survive (hence the name Masters of the Universe). IMO this is the direction that the new film needs to take for sustainability and market enrichment.

Aiming it at its adult cult market and going back to the toylines roots is also the direction the Classics lines is taking and guess what? It’s working!!!

Like it or not the appeal of the motu toyline is its ability to capture the darker side of ourselves. Have a look at some of the original box art for the toys. Do you see a dark world full of battle or a campy world full of giggles?

And I don’t want a Gwildor unless I’m getting a Blade as well. PS I really need to start a thread about motu semiotic analysis.

I think there in lays the challenge.
    Making it all ages with nods to adults.
    I don't see a need to go all-out mature in the approach to MOTU.
    But, hey, we all have our preferences.

It could work but it would need a very comprehensive IMC plan. This younger generation is so hard to target because their enthusiasm for things needs to be continually stimulated, hence interaction becomes a lot more important. Yu-gi-oh! and its ilk worked well over the last couple of years because it had multiple areas of interaction and different ways in which its audience could become involved. Games Workshop/Warhammer learned how to capitalize in this area and has become a growth market.

If motu focused a bit more on the adult market it could license out for more adult products that we enjoy such as a 3D fighting game like Soul Caliber and breach in to different growth markets. But By focusing on both an adult and a child market it actually limits its range because what may be suitable for one demographic may not be for the other.

I wouldn't want my young children playing a fighting game with he-man in it but I would love to see a 3D fighting game made for the adult market featuring motu characters.

Just imagen being able to battle He-man and Skeletor with swords clanging. It just ain't going to happen if we have a he-man for everyone policy.

Perhaps a 3D weapon fighting game based on MOTUC is something worth discussing in another thread??? They could recycle polygons and textures the same way the motuc toys recycle parts

The movie Skeletor is a great custom and I would certainly buy such a figure, but the rest of the movie characters are of little interest to me when we have so many characters to choose from outside of that.

Evil Clone...in SPACE!! DarthFaker's Avatar
    I'd have no issues with movie HM and Skelly, but that's about it.

I totally agree with this take as well.

I'm not a big Filmation guy, but I'm not a blood n' guts guy either.

I just want a "smart" MotU movie that is all ages.
    It's still fantasy, I still think heroic muscular heroes and powerful, monster villians should be in there. But it doesn't have to be "in your face violence and gore" to be successful for me. Action... gimme good action. A plot with depth, and there is depth to be had in a "toyline" especially with the history it has.

Again, so happy Stevenson is sittin' in the director's chair on this one.

And Emil... I'm with you there on Skeletor in the movie... Best portrayal of his character hands down.
    We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. -George Bernard Shaw
    Nate Baertsch Illustration Blog