Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Feel like you are starting over?

Feel like you are starting over?

Having been a MOTU fan since I turned 5 in 1983, I am stoked to see the line getting going again. I hope this turns into the longest run for Mattel and He-Man, and then some.

But I have to admit, seeing the only-once-a-month releases, high price tag (when multiples come in to play), and honestly, worst of all, the fact that it seems we are starting from scratch all over again, this bums me out.

To use the old addage 'if it aint broke, dont fix it', well, of course the 200x line wasnt broken, save for some distro problems here and marketing problems here; so Mini-statues came in and were also perfect. I know in the eyes of Mattel these werent perfect so I TOTALLY understand WHY they must start over, and that is awesome, but man , I have been here from the start (as most of us here have) so here we go again.

Ah well, it should be a fun journey and I look forward to taking it. Again, I hope it lasts a long while. Anyone else feel like this or is it just me?

Heroic Warrior
    Doesn't bother me. I'm going to totally enjoy the new Classics line.

2002/DC He-Man Video guy
    I've never been much into the toy-collecting side.

When the original line came, I was a kid and wanted and bought everything I were able, while the filmation cartoon was my main focus.

200x came and again my focus was on the cartoon, so bought a figure here and there.

Today, with Classics coming, I have grown more interest towards the figures, and to me, it really feels like I'm that same kid in the 80s, buying new figures when possible.

So I am looking forward to this.

Starting anew, feels good right now.
    He-Man & She-Ra fan and contributor to official Dark Horse MOTU/POP books

· ToonJukka - Youtube Channel with He-Man/She-Ra videos; Origins, Trivia, Top5 lists and more!

The Scare is in the Glow! Scare Glow's Avatar
    Starting over you say? Nah, we’re just beginning.

I feel like I'm starting over... Because I am.

And I couldn't be happier. Because I feel like I'm starting with a series I truly can embrace. These are the best MOTU figures yet and I'm quite excited.

To me 200X was broken, very broken, possibly as broken as you can get.

And as cool as the stactions looked... Man, that's beyond BROKEN. Action figures that don't move?

This is everything I've ever wanted in a He-Man line. I truly hope it's successful enough that we can get all the characters we could possibly want. I hope that in a couple years I can look at my wall and see a huge collection of MOTUC figures. All with that classic look, incredible articulation and an all encompassing style that makes the figures look well displayed together.

Starting over? It all begins again... BETTER!

Loves MOTUC canon! PaTrIcKfOgArTy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by theotherguy View Post
    Having been a MOTU fan since I turned 5 in 1983, I am stoked to see the line getting going again. I hope this turns into the longest run for Mattel and He-Man, and then some.

But I have to admit, seeing the only-once-a-month releases, high price tag (when multiples come in to play), and honestly, worst of all, the fact that it seems we are starting from scratch all over again, this bums me out.

To use the old addage 'if it aint broke, dont fix it', well, of course the 200x line wasnt broken, save for some distro problems here and marketing problems here; so Mini-statues came in and were also perfect. I know in the eyes of Mattel these werent perfect so I TOTALLY understand WHY they must start over, and that is awesome, but man , I have been here from the start (as most of us here have) so here we go again.

Ah well, it should be a fun journey and I look forward to taking it. Again, I hope it lasts a long while. Anyone else feel like this or is it just me?
    Nope, it's not just you, I'm excited too but also feel very much the same way you've voiced. At the end of the day I'm thrilled at Mattel's apparent enthusiasm and approach this time around but shall remain cautiously optimistic, I'm still getting over the fall from last go around.

I do feel like I am starting over. And, normally, I would not bother with it. However, these new MotU figures are perhaps the best ones ever made to date. So, it's also an upgrade, and I'm always up for upgrades. I'll buy them because of those two reasons alone, but there are many more good reasons to get 'em. One of the biggest ones is He-Man needs to get back on the map now that Transformers and GI Joe have, along with Star Wars getting another boost. No true He-Man fan would let his muscular hero down by not supporting him when he needs it. Represent! Especially with how fantastic these new action figures are. No more Hunchback-He-Man too.
    Last edited by Orko's Hat; July 30, 2008 at 12:25am.

I understand what you're saying but I don't feel this way. I understand that people want certain figures to be released but there's a lot of toy lines out there that never got "completed".
    If I have every figure that was released from a line then I consider myself to have a complete collection and I'm happy with that.
    When a new line comes out I don't feel like I'm starting over. If the first figure in MOTUC was the 200x He-Man mold but with classic coloured armour I would feel that way, but not for new sculpts.

Ive been a He-man and She-ra fan since I was 7 or 8 back in the 80s and this is the first time ever Ill start collecting He-man toys. Never liked them at all (althou I owned some of them when I was a kid). However, the MOTUC line seems absolutely perfect and just what I always wanted and KG, He-man and Beast man just confirms that. Cant wait!!!
    COSTA RICA: NO ARTIFICIAL INGREDIENTS!

I will miss looking from store to store trying to find the harder to find figures. But, I like the new ones a lot, so it is ok. I still have some holes in my 200x line, so there is still going to be a need to keep looking for those. But, it does feel like I am starting a new collection, because they are a new line, even though they are the same characters.

Heroic Warrior
    I'm only a passive MOTU collector, so I don't feel any pressure to get anything in this line I don't want. I am hoping to see some different versions of characters not produced in the 200X line. And I may even use some as army builders, like this:

200X Mer-Man flanked by 2 Classics Mer-Men
    200X Beast Man flanked by 2 Classics Beast Men

You get the picture.

I hope they make a Horde Trooper early in the line. And even though it's not like it was in the original toy, I'd love a Horde Trooper with shining chrome armor.

It does feel like starting over. When I first heard of what was coming out, i was like oh great ANOTHER He-man, Skeletor ect.

After looking at them in person tho, they are kind of neat. I just hope Mattel listens and makes more than one new never seen before figure a year
    Contact me if you have MOTU Merchandise Items for sale or trade! Please view a sampling of what I am looking for Here:
    http://photobucket.com/albums/v400/j...ase%20Contact/
    http://photobucket.com/albums/v400/j...need%20Europe/

I`m in love with the idea of starting over. I don`t know about you guys but I see starting over as a new breath of life. It`s refreshing to have something to look foreward to. I wish October would hurry up!

Being a newbie here, although I've been reading thins board off and on for the past seven years (wow, it's been that long already!) all I can add is, that I'm actually excited for the new start of this classic line.
    I've been a fan since the MOTU craze started in the early eighties, and me and my brother back then couldn't collect more than 30% of the line, since we also had other interests that were a bit overwhelming for our parents to keep up with!
    And when 200X was announced, I was as excited as that young kid was back in the early 80's... But frankly, the line was a frustrating experience to keep up with, as you're already know, a million He-mans and Skeletors variants on the shelves and the absences of the other characters! (The designs were great I must admit, but articulation and color application could have been much better on those figs IMO!) So I had to rely on hunting them online, and being a LEGO enthusiast who's involved in the community of building (LEGO building) that requires a significant budget to maintain, and with Mattel's announcement on killing the line, I gave up on it, it just wasn't feasible for me to continue with.
    ... But again, my love for the animated cartoons, especially the MYP, kept my interest rolling...

Now with this new line, I'm really thrilled once more! And let's hope it will keep going strong this time around.

Greatful his pants are on bskcase's Avatar
    I have to say that this new line of MOTU is much better than the 200x figures. The 200x figures were nice, but they were too Mcfarlane. They broke too easy and the weapons just wouldn't stay straight.

These look like a happy medium. The figures are done in the classic retro style but with modern articulation. I can see everybody loving these figures, even kids if they bring back a cartoon. My only sore point is that there is little chance of vehicles or a Castle Grayskull playset.
    You just read a post from the head Honcho of Nerds On A Couch!

Quote Originally Posted by bskcase View Post
    I have to say that this new line of MOTU is much better than the 200x figures. The 200x figures were nice, but they were too Mcfarlane. They broke too easy and the weapons just wouldn't stay straight.
    Which one's broke? I didn't play with mine but they seemed durable enough.

If the weapons are made of the same stuff, I imagine MOTUC weapons will warp as well. I found that the material used in the staction weapons was GENERALLY alot better.

I'm excited....but have fading hope

I could not agree more with the feeling of starting over. I have also been an MOTU fan since back in the 80s, and seeing these fresh re-designs almost brought tears to my eyes! They look amazing, and posing Mer-Man is going to make my day when I finally get him!

I am worried that this line is going to not even make it as far as the staction line. The one-a-month release plan seems destined to lose interest over time, and the only way this line continues is with exceptional sales. I hope I am wrong, but I don't think it makes it into 2010. And if it goes that far, we only end up with 15 figures!

And if that is true, then we get the same figures we already have all over again. As much as I love Beastman, I really don't want another one. I am dying to get characters like Spikor, Modulok, Dragstor and Scare Glow. I think they could be really awesome re-designed, and I am sad that they never made it to staction form. Even Extendar could look awesome re-designed, and he was totally lame!

If they said that this line was going to start with every figure not yet re-designed between the 200x and staction line I would be more excited. However, right now, I am out $120.00 (plus shipping?) and walking away with 6 guys I already have two figures of between the 80s and 200x lines. And if you count He-Man, I have like 24 of him! Thanks 200x line!
    He has travelled a million miles across the void...

Starting over?

I think nobody can go against time so, if he-man goes through ages there will be many new beginnings .

For my part I don't feel it's really starting over this time since I had the toys when I was young, it was to play with, not to collect, so this line is an occasion for me to collect all the figures.
    When I grew up I wanted to collect the original line... but I found the toys a little bit too... aged, and I don’t really like the 200x line.
    So I didn’t buy any of them.

I will be very happy to buy all the figures of this MOTUC line and when the line will die and then reborn 10 or 20 years after, I may feel it's starting over... At that time I will probably not buy the line again but I will still be happy to see the line "in stores" again .

Evil Overlord of Veg Vegtablesam's Avatar
    Im loving it. I like the idea of having a new figure to look forward to every month, and to be honest I dont think id have much time for toy hunting like i used to.

HEY BSKCASE!! We should talk to Razzbel about the occassional geek out get-togethers El Paso style again LOL

No getting around it for me, I feel like it's starting over.
    I hate feeling like I have a "less cool version" of a character because a toyline puts out a new version of Vader, Snake Eyes, Optimus Prime etc. etc.

Nostalgic charm for $20 a pop is a lot to ask of me, Mattel.

The idea of going back to collecting MOTU is sorta like the prospect of an ex-lover looking REAL good these days who's flirting with you and wants to get back together. So in the back of your mind you're like "waitaminit, pump the brakes....it was awesome but often crazy and heartbreaking!"

That said, I'll probably get off the fence real quick and dive right in once I get a few months' worth of these.
    Last edited by Money$hot; July 30, 2008 at 07:49am.
    ...and I'm spent...

Mandola [my band!]

I agree with the feeling that we are starting all over again. It's nice to see the attention being given to the line but I would like to see more new characters that we haven't already gotten in the 200x line and stactions. My goal towards my collection is to get one of each character, not one in each style...I'll be passing on most of the early releases, especially at 20.00 a pop.

As great as the figures look I just think it's too soon for Mattel to expect us to be trusting of their ability to get to the characters that we still need. I don't need yet another version of He-Man and Skeletor, that's what burned me out in the first place. The first 6 months are characters we already have. They should have thrown at least one surprise new character in the mix.

I appreciate Mattel's willingness to acknowledge a collector fan base but I still don't think they understand what we want.

Do Batman or Marvel fans feel they are starting over with each new line??

It's another take on our favourite characters.
    To me these are the connoisseur MOTU figures and I for one cannot wait!!

Quote Originally Posted by Eamon View Post
    Do Batman or Marvel fans feel they are starting over with each new line??
    I know I do. On top of MOTU I collect Marvel Legends and JLU. I try to get the main version of each character. Anything else I could care less about. It's different for every collector though so there's absolutely no way a company can make every fan happy. The only character I try to buy every iteration of is the Flash. My best friend is always joking that it's a good thing I'm not a Batman fan because I'd be in debt up to my ears.

Heroic Warrior
    Despite my vocalness about how somethings have been changed already, how mattel has handled somethings and mattel in gen...

I am very very excited about this line. When a new line comes out it never really feels like starting over to me. Its just a new line. Just like buying a new car, or moving or starting a new job. Its change, and with all change it can be good or bad. In this case i think its good. The 200x line was wonderful, as it had been a long time since we had he-man figures and even longer since we had a lot of the main characters. But I was not a fan of a lot of the designs, like he-man even though I bought everyone I could find. I didnt buy a lot of the stactions becuase of availablity (even though it too has the "largest availablity ever", being online), cost, and the fact that they were statues not figures. I bought what ones I could when I could. And even though I worry about this new line, I am more excited about it then I have been for ANYTHING i have collected in my adult life, at least as a whole line is concerned. I have been collecting toys for a lonf time now, but the feel of this line, the look of it, and the nostolgic value have me uber excited!

I noticed someone said that they wont support this line till they get new figures (which IMO all of them are) and are worried it wont last as long as the stactions and threw a date of 2010 out. If you dont help support this line, then you really cant complain if it fails. And, in the first year alone we are gonna have (starting from the time the first regular figure comes out) more then 15 figures.

1.he-man (october)
    2.beastman (november)
    3. December figure
    4.january figure
    5. feb regular figure
    6. NYCC exclusive
    7.march figure
    8.april figure
    9.may figure
    10. june figure
    11. july reg figure
    12. sdcc figure
    13. august figue
    14. september figure
    15. october figure

Thats 15 seperate releases. Add in KG and the variant and thats 17. and i am sure mattel will do at least a couple variants and i wouldnt be surprised to see a collectors club exlusive or a mail away exclusive or something else like that. But even without those we are looking at 15-17 figures a year. 200x, NA, and the 80's line didnt even have that many. I would love to get some all at once, but even at one a month its gonna be a lot of figures.

Doesn't bother me in the slightest. In fact, I'm quite happy about it. Just beginning? That's for sure. The future looks very bright, at least to me.
    Uncle Montork has returned from Trolla!