View Poll Results: What hair should Teela have?

Voters
280. You may not vote on this poll
  • Blonde with hair down like the early mini-comics

27 9.64%
  • Blonde with hair up like in the early mini-comics

5 1.79%
  • Red with hair down (new!!!)

40 14.29%
  • Red with hair up like the original toy and Filmation

128 45.71%
  • Have both Blonde AND Red variants, but with hair up

15 5.36%
  • Have both Blonde AND Red variants, but with hair down

10 3.57%
  • All of the first four options

55 19.64%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Teela's Hair: Up and Red or Down and Blonde?

Be it blonde or red, I prefer the hair down. Ever since I was a child, I hated Teela's hair. Still do. 200X Teela was the best Teela ever, IMO, and they won't be able to top that.

" … the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few … "
    " … or the one … "

{ @Lioncourt on Twitter | MastersCast | My Blog }

My issue with the MYP version was she looked too Sailor Moonish with that whole long tail thing going on. When she got it caught in slime that one EP and He-man cut it, I was hoping she'd be sporting something like the retro style after that...awe well . For me, I always recognize her by the Filmation look, I mean you could at a silhouette of her and instantly know who it is, that's what makes a good cartoon character according to Matt Groening apparently!

I did like her brunette down phase in the UK Ladybird books however, but the blonde hair and skirt motif of the early minicomics were so bland and unoriginal, I hated it ! THank god for Filmation there !
    Visit my art page at: http://theblock.deviantart.com/ , if you like my work and have an account there to, feel free to fave or watch me, I could use the street cred !

My new chant: Lets go NA MARA, spike-flail pon-y-tail

Personal Service Provider Agostinho's Avatar
    I voted for all 4 versions. It would make everyone happy.

Nate you have to post that blonde Teela head shot you did a few years back! (The Tex one)
    I would love an alternate Teela head like that!
    NOW DOING CHARACTER ART COMMISSIONS - PM FOR DETAILS
    DeviantArt Gallery
    Week Daze - my webcomic
    The Return to Anwat Gar

I voted for red hair down, but not as long. I like my Teela with red hair (though I guess in 2002 her hair was really more auburn than straight out red), at least shoulder length or just a wee bit longer, just not impossibly long.
    It's great being Lord of the Thundercats - especially hanging out with Cheetara - but the one draw back is that He-Man can still beat me up.

http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...06#post1993306
    Somewhere In Exo-Squad, a fan art by Matt Tyree (just in case you're curious)

The Cerebral Assassin hhhelmsley's Avatar
    The red haired Teela is the one we've all grown to love. The original cartoon series was more popular than any other representation of MOTU in the 80's. This new MOTUC line should use that as a solid base for the new design.

Red with hair down. Dunno why, but I really dig that. 200X teela was not too bad either. But the Filmation hair up design was something I never cared for.

200X hair or down (red)
    Quote the Raven, Nevermore.
    It can't rain all the time.

"Live the journey, for every destination is but a doorway to another."

Both colors with the hair up.
    Mike Jr. 1983-2008 the void left will never be filled. Rest in Peace Brother.
    Sgt Weigand

eBay Feedback

" Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elswhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
    --Calvin and Hobbes

I was never big on blonde Teela. She's not enough of a contrast to He-man with blonde hair and red hair suites her fiery nature far more.

So it's it's gotta be red and up for me.

Oh and Classics better had a nice high collar!
    Selected art prints now available:
    www.eamonart.com

Historian of Eternia LORD FALLEN ELDOR's Avatar
    two heads sculpts hair up & down, with alternating hair colors; four in all! Each teela would only have two of the four options. Collectors could trade online for the color and style combination they want everybody happy ...well except for the 200x pony tale fans.
    http://kotaku.com/why-fanboys-act-like-jerks-1563379006

'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.' This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.' All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments" (Matthew 22:36-40).

Red hair down isnt new, King of Castle Grayskull

Id like her with red-hair with her orginal hair-do & one red-hair down The long red hair is not new in King of Castle Grayskull she starts red-hair up with a crown, but by the end of the story she has her red-hair down.
    On page 18 of this mini-comic He-man & Teela are running toward skeletor who is blasting at them with Grayskulls laser cannon. Her hair is down and flaming red. That has always been on of my favorite images from the mini-comics
    Teela the Warrior Goddess is my homegirl.

I just really dig Teela in darker hair. I like her with her hair down but that classic look is just branded into my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by hhhelmsley View Post
    The red haired Teela is the one we've all grown to love. The original cartoon series was more popular than any other representation of MOTU in the 80's. This new MOTUC line should use that as a solid base for the new design.
    I totally agree. There is nothing more Classic than the filmation series and original toy line. So, with that in mind, I voted for red hair up. I wouldn't mind seeing multiple heads with different hair styles, but if they only use one, it should without question be like her original toy. After all, this is MOTU Classics.
    "Oh Lord, Bless this M&M... and the mighty cockroach I slain in battle to get it." - Al Bundy

23 years ago (give or take a few days) I got my very first MotU -figure. And that was, Teela. This is definitely the one figure they should make as close to the original toy as they possibly can.
    "She-Ra, Princess of Power was no more. That had been the price of freedom."

Skeletors evil colorist Predabot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Baena View Post
    Again, she was blonde there, but paint her hair red and you've got exactly what I'm hoping the new Teela will look like... (with a removable Snake Head Dress of course. )

Her Filmation hairdo is something all it's own, and I don't really care for it. =(

See to me, her Filmation hairdo and her toy have two very different styles to them.
    So there is no option there for me to vote for.
    I want Red hair up in a pony tail with decent length to it. (As Alcala drew, not painted, in the above mentioned book.)
    See...
    http://www.grayskullmuseum.com/cardback/danger3.jpg

In the end though... I could see her coming with two heads. A more Filmation head and the "classic" ponytail.
    I'm thinking if we want a blonde Teela, you'd better buy two and get the paints out.

And if the 4HM are looking at the cardbacks... That's exactly what Alcala was looking at for this book in particular.
    Hmm... There's a few things in your post that has me a bit confounded mate. Care to elaborate on a few things?

You mention that the Filmation-Teela has a different hair-style than the figure, but the look pretty similar to me? Could you describe the differences a bit more clearly, and maybe even draw out a rough sketch of both of them, 360-degree angle? ( Ok yeah, that last part is pushing it a bit, but I think it would be cool to really see it, up close. )

Also, you mention the card-backs as Alcala's inspiration for the hair-style? But on the 8-back, where we see blond Teela with white bracelets and such, we only barely see that she's blond ( or is that her tiara/diadem?), we can't really tell what her hair-style is, since she's wearing her cobra-armour. Likewise on her cardback, since she's yet again, wearing the cobra-armour.

http://www.mastersunbound.com/box%20...-teela_ill.jpg
    http://www.grayskullmuseum.com/cardback/teelaback.jpg

In fact, the only card-art I can find that shows her hair, is the Man-At-Arms one. And it features a bun that doesn't really look that much like Alcala's version, to me at least.
    http://www.grayskullmuseum.com/cardb...atarmsback.jpg

So yeah, I'm a bit curious where you're getting this from.

Quote Originally Posted by oICEMANo View Post
    Nate you have to post that blonde Teela head shot you did a few years back! (The Tex one)
    I would love an alternate Teela head like that!
    Oh yeah, he definitely needs to do that. ^^
    Last edited by Predabot; December 26, 2008 at 08:18pm.

A big fan of Slush Head
    Red with hair up like the original toy and Filmation
    http://mikebock.deviantart.com/
    SLUSH HEAD FINALLY SHOWED UP IN MOTUC YAY!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Predabot View Post
    Hmm... There's a few things in your post that has me a bit confounded mate. Care to elaborate on a few things?
    I'll try.

You mention that the Filmation-Teela has a different hair-style than the figure, but the look pretty similar to me? Could you describe the differences a bit more clearly, and maybe even draw out a rough sketch of both of them, 360-degree angle? ( Ok yeah, that last part is pushing it a bit, but I think it would be cool to really see it, up close. )
    The toy and the Filmation design are not the same. They are similar, but the same? They are not! Look up a good side pic of the toy, then a good pic from the toon. Better yet, pick up the toy if you have her and then watch the toon. You can see the toon pulled some inspiration, but they made their own design in the end.

The toy is clearly a ponytail off the top of her head that falls down, whereas the filmation design is more of a... I don't know what you would call that, but it's not really a ponytail, it's sort of a beehive-ish looking thing?
    Basically it flairs out the back and sides as it's pulled up to the top, then the top that does come back down is more tightly controlled, less flowing... Well, not flowing at all really.

You don't need any drawings from me, just look at the source material we're talking about here.

Also, you mention the card-backs as Alcala's inspiration for the hair-style? But on the 8-back, where we see blond Teela with white bracelets and such, we only barely see that she's blond ( or is that her tiara/diadem?), we can't really tell what her hair-style is, since she's wearing her cobra-armour. Likewise on her cardback, since she's yet again, wearing the cobra-armour.

http://www.mastersunbound.com/box%20...-teela_ill.jpg
    http://www.grayskullmuseum.com/cardback/teelaback.jpg
    I think those are golden tiara's that you're seeing, and not blonde hair. Just based on how low on the forehead that it is. If that is her hair and it's blonde, she has no forehead!!!

For good examples of Alcala's hair, look at the following minicomics... Dragon's Gift, He-Man and the Insect people, The Obelisk, and the 2 story record book that came with Point Dread and the Talon Fighter. Alcala did all those, and while her hair color varies, it's still clearly the top ponytail based off the toy and off Mark Taylor's drawings for Teela. Do your homework! Look at those books!

Now admittedly, Alcala did his own little take on her hair style.
    And I like his take better than Filmation's. It's more flowing, more elegant, less stiff.

In fact, the only card-art I can find that shows her hair, is the Man-At-Arms one. And it features a bun that doesn't really look that much like Alcala's version, to me at least.
    http://www.grayskullmuseum.com/cardb...atarmsback.jpg
    That's a pretty poor example, the art is pretty vague, and again, I'd say it's more of the top knot ponytail style that I like or prefer for Teela.

So yeah, I'm a bit curious where you're getting this from.
    Well there you have it. Again, go do your homework!
    I can't understand how you feel they are the same!

As to that blonde Teela portrait I did years ago? I can't find it, I must've archived it, and I'm too lazy to go find it.
    We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. -George Bernard Shaw
    Nate Baertsch Illustration Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Baena View Post
    The toy and the Filmation design are not the same. They are similar, but the same? They are not! Look up a good side pic of the toy, then a good pic from the toon. Better yet, pick up the toy if you have her and then watch the toon. You can see the toon pulled some inspiration, but they made their own design in the end.

The toy is clearly a ponytail off the top of her head that falls down, whereas the filmation design is more of a... beehive-ish looking thing? XD
    Basically it flairs out the back and sides as it's pulled up to the top, then the top that does come back down is more tightly controlled, less flowing... Well, not flowing at all really.
    Hmm, ok. Closer inspection of the toy-pictures does show that there's a lil' somethin' that falls down again, at the top of the head of the toy.

http://www.mastersunbound.com/toys/T...eela_frame.htm

It's kind of hard to tell unless you look at the back of the toy tho, ( which for some reason is often not shown online) so it's perfectly understandable to not know about it, if you don't own the toy yourself.

I'm checking some eps as well, and there's definitely a big similarity, but there's also a big difference. Whereas the toy lets the hair fall down a bit longer, from the top of the head, and then gets thinner, the toon stops more like a wide tuft.

Now admittedly, Alcala did his own little take on her hair style.
    And I like his take better than Filmation's. It's more flowing, more elegant, less stiff.
    Thank you! That's the point I wanted you to get at. Alcala did his own thing, not inspired by the card-art, because you can't see a darn thing on those.

I can't understand how you feel they are the same!
    Well, I never actually owned the fig, ( can't recall if my best mate owned her either?), and unless you see the back of her head, it's kind of hard to tell the bigger differences.

As to that blonde Teela portrait I did years ago? I can't find it, I must've archived it, and I'm too lazy to go find it.
    Darn. =( But maybe we could find some way to bribe you...? Yeah?

Darn. =( But maybe we could find some way to bribe you...? Yeah?
    Mmmmm... I like cool action figures and chocolate chip cookies...
    We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. -George Bernard Shaw
    Nate Baertsch Illustration Blog

Guess I'll have to dig through my Baena Folder!
    NOW DOING CHARACTER ART COMMISSIONS - PM FOR DETAILS
    DeviantArt Gallery
    Week Daze - my webcomic
    The Return to Anwat Gar

Yeah, Ice! Found any goodies?

"Red with hair up like the original toy and Filmation"

I always approach these polls with the question "what's the most iconic version of the character?" This choice answer's that question....and that's the Teela I would like.

I voted red hair down or with ponytail ala 200x. I would be okay if we also had Teela with blonde hair.

The original Teela hair-do is way outdated. The vintage look is like something that my grandmother would have worn in her 30's........so no thanks to the old hairstyle.............Leave that in the 80's. To me, the short hair looks too manly.
    Keep The "Classicized" 200x Heads in MOTUC!

Matty Savings For the Year because of No DOS Purchases: $210

Heroic Warrior
    Whichever is the 200X look.