Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which action features should Mattel keep?

Which action features should Mattel keep?

I am all for doing away with action features like Ram Man's spring, Whiplash's tail whip, and various other action features activated by buttons, waist turns, or leg squeezes. But what about simple key features like Man-E-Faces or Tri-Klops? I'd be extremely disappointed if I can't turn Man-E-Faces' heads or Tri Klops' eyes.

What other action features need to stay or go?

Heroic Warrior
    Hey, I liked Ram-Mans spring. That was the first figure I owned and my earliest childhood memory....

Anyway...I think the term action feature as desribed by Mattel needs better definition. Like, is trapjaws mouth an action feature, or his changing arms? If they can do changing heads I see no problem with changing arms. And is scareglows "glow" an action feature? I dont think so as we have already seen KG in a trans. cast. But it is Mattel, so who know. Also I liked webstors back pack hook thing, and would like to see that.

Also, mekaneck needs an extending neck of some kind. Moss man needs to be flocked, but is that an action feature? Id like to see mattel's take on what is and what isnt an action feature.

Man-E-Faces and Triklops should to keep their rotating heads/eyes.
    Trap Jaw still should have an articulated Jaw and interchangeable weapons.
    Ramman should have some bounce to his step. (But not real necessary, I'm curious to see a Ramman with "normal" legs.)
    Syclone should spin at the torso.
    Roboto's chest should have moving gears as he twists. (And like Trappy, have interchangeable weapons.)

What I'd like to see changed? Or I don't care if the "action feature" is missing?

No flocking for Panthor or Mossman!
    But really, that won't happen... It's not very, "Classic" is it?

I think Mekaneck is fine with a changeable head/neck. It doesn't need to telescope out of his neck.
    Don't much care if Stinkor stinks or not.
    Don't need Mantenna's buggy eyes.
    Leech should be more like the Staction and not have functional suction cups.
    Mosquitor doesn't need to "ooze" blood.
    Kobra Khan doesn't need to squirt this time around.
    Rattlor can have an interchangeable head like Mekaneck.
    Same goes for Extendar, just give him interchangeable parts instead.
    Webstor doesn't need the "climbing rope" backpack.

I'm sure there are more, but really there's just a very few "action features" I'd like to see retained. Vs. the number of action features I could really live without.
    We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. -George Bernard Shaw
    Nate Baertsch Illustration Blog

Ramman needs legs.

And Stikor should smell. Other than that no action features.

For me at least.
    Check out the Masters Of The Galaxy Podcast. And also check out Masters of the Galaxy Facebook page

Follow me on Twitter.... BrianOzone
    My feedback threadhttp://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...or-Brian-Ozone

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Baena View Post
    Ramman should have some bounce to his step. (But not real necessary, I'm curious to see a Ramman with "normal" legs.)
    Roboto's chest should have moving gears as he twists. (And like Trappy, have interchangeable weapons.)

What I'd like to see changed? Or I don't care if the "action feature" is missing?

I think Mekaneck is fine with a changeable head/neck. It doesn't need to telescope out of his neck.

I'm sure there are more, but really there's just a very few "action features" I'd like to see retained. Vs. the number of action features I could really live without.

Man, I disagree with a few of your things here.lol

The biggest reason I bought webster as a kid was the back pack, as I was deathly afraid of spiders back then and refused to even look at him, till i found out about the back pack.lol

Also, mosqitor needs to have the blood ooze as you called it. He is one of my all time favorites just because of that feature. Of all the cool creepy things ive seen in toys, even through now, that is one of the coolest ones ever. i loved him when he came out, and is one of the only figures i bought multiples of and the only one i keept MOC as a kid. He was just the coolest thing since sliced bread!

These are of course my opinions only, but I would be very sad if we didnt get both of those figures with those "action" features.....

I think the question should be what is an action feature?!
    I hardly believe that three movable eyes of Triklops or the rotary head of Manefaces as an action feature go through.

So what is an action feature?

Quote Originally Posted by Merman79 View Post
    I think the question should be what is an action feature?!
    I hardly believe that three movable eyes of Triklops or the rotary head of Manefaces as an action feature go through.

So what is an action feature?
    I thought anything that gave the figure an "action" would be considered an action feature. Most action features have mechanical workings like springs, gears, etc...

Mattel has already said the action features were gone so Roboto with moving gears, Kobra Khan with squirting mouth, or Mosquitor with oozing blood are going to be out of the question in my opinion. I do think Trap Jaw's mouth should still be articulated and I don't see why characters can't glow or be flocked (although I prefer no flocking). Webstor's backpack also seems like a simple enough feature to keep. I think it's a given that Trap Jaw and Roboto are going to still have the interchangeable weapons. I really could do without Stinkor's stink as well. If you must have it go to an outdoor store and purchase some deer lure and add a drop to him

get rid of ram man's action feature. the original looked like a happy meal toy. the last one looked a lot better, but even still left a lot to be desired with his stiff legs. i don't mind the guy as a character, but i couldn't stand his toys.

man-e-faces and tri-klops have features that are completely hidden in the toy's design. getting rid of them in favor of multiple heads would be more costly. and if they only gave us one, non-rotating head it would be a complete disservice to the fans.

trap-jaw and roboto (and anyone else with the feature) should have swappable weapons). trap-jaw literally would not be trap-jaw if his mouth wasn't spring-loaded. and roboto without the moving gears inside wouldn't be the same, but they should at the very least have gears inside a clear torso whether they move or not.

it's been said that stinkor won't stink, which is a shame to me, but as long as he's made i'll be happy! same goes for moss man.

i think they mentioned a snap-on neck for mekaneck. it can be safe to say that extendar will carry on that trait. possibly rattlor as well.

i LOVED syklone as a kid and thought the update was great as well. but if mattel is adamant about getting rid of action features, i don't see his spinning action carrying over.

I'm guessing Mattel removed them to save money.

Which is fine for spring-loaded actions like the twist-waist punches, but I hope the likes of Trap Jaw, Tri-Klops, and Man-E-Faces get to keep their more simple action features.

Any character who is defined by their ability has to have their feature included, imo.

Keep Whiplash's rubber tail.

But give Rattlor a sculpted plastic tail.
    People who say certain characters should never be remade is stupid. Throw rocks at them.

I support Filmation characters for MOTUC! Let Mattel know it's worth their while to get the rights to those characters!

The Scare is in the Glow! Scare Glow's Avatar
    I feel that any original action feature which by all reasoning could be construed as articulation – as in Man-E-Faces rotating head or Tri-Klops Eyes – should be retained. This includes figures with weapon attachments, Trap Jaw/Roboto . . . they’re accessories/articulation points.

The rest I think should be more or less fazed out as most require springs and gears and that just drives up the cost unnecessarily. On the very few who truly are feature driven, such as Extendar or Blast Attack, or even Scare Glow (glowing plastic), I think that will have be decided on a figure to figure basis v.s. how profitable the line is when they’re introduced.

And on the subject of Ram Man – listen to the masses! The poor guy deserves some legs after over two and a half decades.

i am assuming that any sort of action feature that hinders articulation will be removed.

examples
    ramman-springy legs

all figures- spring loaded waists

terror claw skeletor- snap on claws, no problem. basically skeletor with a new chest piece and new claws. however his clawing action will be gone

jitsu and fisto- spring loaded arms, they still can have their signature big hands though

mosquitor and roboto- blood filled chest/gear filled chest

hydron- no spinning arms

features left intact

man e faces- doesnt hinder movement, 200x version for example. see below for possible reason it is removed

mossman- just flocking so it is like a fancy paint application and will remain

trapjaw- removable arm attachment. look at cyborg in the dc line for this EXACT example

stinkor- smell doesnt hinder anything

buzz off- moveable wings

optikk- his eye will still turn just not with a button which is fine by me

scareglow- just glowing plastic. basically a fancy paint app built into the plastic. BIG BONUS!! completely reused parts from skeletor sans cape(which can then be reused for randor )

pretty much think this way as a rule of thumb.

if by having the action feature present will mattel NOT BE ABLE TO REUSE THE PART. if the answer to that question is yes then it is a good bet the action feature will be removed from said figure.

this is the only reason i can see for a figure like Man E faces to get his action feature removed but i highly doubt it will.
    Last edited by King Kahn; July 30, 2008 at 07:59pm.
    I want NA Skeletor and Rio Blast and I want them now!

Quote Originally Posted by Baena View Post

I completely agree with all of these Baena. Some features Have to to be included because it just makes sense, the ones that don't, well sadly they can get canned

Quote Originally Posted by jerec350 View Post
    I am all for doing away with action features like Ram Man's spring, Whiplash's tail whip, and various other action features activated by buttons, waist turns, or leg squeezes. But what about simple key features like Man-E-Faces or Tri-Klops? I'd be extremely disappointed if I can't turn Man-E-Faces' heads or Tri Klops' eyes.

What other action features need to stay or go?
    I think every single action figure should retain the intended action. Otherwise, you just have a poseable staction. It doesn't make sense to me to take these features away.

Heroic Master of Typos davidlogan's Avatar
    Take away Two-Bad's action feature for sure.

But some action features should remain. Mostly the ones already covered here.

Man-E

Tri-klops

Tung Lashor

Scareglow

Trap-Jaw

Stondar + Rokkon

Sy-klone

Snakeface

Squeezzze

Rio Blast

I'd like to see Mekenek and Rattlor keep their features too, but I understand it's already decided that one of them will not, which means the same for the other I'm sure.

I think I've got a complete list here of actions features that should be kept.
    Last edited by davidlogan; July 31, 2008 at 12:18am.
    "..."

Quote Originally Posted by RocketPunch View Post
    I'm guessing Mattel removed them to save money.

Which is fine for spring-loaded actions like the twist-waist punches, but I hope the likes of Trap Jaw, Tri-Klops, and Man-E-Faces get to keep their more simple action features.

Any character who is defined by their ability has to have their feature included, imo.
    Couldn't have put it better myself.
    WANTED: Comic From SDCC Vykron!
    Mini Comic want list:
    Terror Claws Strike
    Skeletor's Journey
    And any and all PoP mini's.

Man E Faces should keep the spinning faces.
    Tri-klops should keep the rotating eyes

If Mattel are going to make Roboto have a clear chest and the gears linked, they may as well make them turn, even if it's with a key that inserts into his back or something. He also need interchangable weapons.

If Ram Man has knee articulation then his action feature can be simulated manually

Sy-klone just needs a loose waist joint.

Scareglow should be a glow in the dark skeleton inside a clear dark outer mould.

Trapjaw doesn't need a spring loaded jaw but does need interchangeable weapons.

Tung Lashor can just have his tounge hanging out.

I guess any action feature requiring moving parts or springs inside the torso will be out.

Skeletor and Hordak with "FREE INTERNATIONAL SHIPPING" action!!

I think for me anyway the most important features not to be dropped are Scareglow's Glow, Rio Blasts Weapons and the Rock People's Transformations.

Quote Originally Posted by King Kahn View Post
    i am assuming that any sort of action feature that hinders articulation will be removed.

examples
    ramman-springy legs

all figures- spring loaded waists

terror claw skeletor- snap on claws, no problem. basically skeletor with a new chest piece and new claws. however his clawing action will be gone

jitsu and fisto- spring loaded arms, they still can have their signature big hands though

mosquitor and roboto- blood filled chest/gear filled chest

hydron- no spinning arms

features left intact

man e faces- doesnt hinder movement, 200x version for example. see below for possible reason it is removed

mossman- just flocking so it is like a fancy paint application and will remain

trapjaw- removable arm attachment. look at cyborg in the dc line for this EXACT example

stinkor- smell doesnt hinder anything

buzz off- moveable wings

optikk- his eye will still turn just not with a button which is fine by me

scareglow- just glowing plastic. basically a fancy paint app built into the plastic. BIG BONUS!! completely reused parts from skeletor sans cape(which can then be reused for randor )

pretty much think this way as a rule of thumb.

if by having the action feature present will mattel NOT BE ABLE TO REUSE THE PART. if the answer to that question is yes then it is a good bet the action feature will be removed from said figure.

this is the only reason i can see for a figure like Man E faces to get his action feature removed but i highly doubt it will.
    You make some very good points about why action features are being removed, ie reusing parts.

But since Man-E-Faces will require a unique body anyway I don't think keeping his rotating faces feature would be a problem.

Keep the flocking.

Moss FTW!

I think Man-E-Faces will come with 3 heads

I wouldn't mind seeing working versions of the classic Battle Armor figures (and maybe a Battle Armor Faker this time) and maybe a Thunder Punch He-Man.
    Uncle Montork has returned from Trolla!

Stinkor should stink. I loved Stinkor's stink. His stink and Mossman's odor vied for supremacy in my he-man box as a kid!

Far as Man-E... one of my favs. I'd be disappointed if he didn't have his face-changing ability and had to rely on heads. I mean, why not just sculpt three different transformed man-e's then?
    Signed by-- ME!

---
    Did I ever grow up? Probably not. I'm sure the day-glo socks gave it away anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Montork View Post
    I wouldn't mind seeing working versions of the classic Battle Armor figures (and maybe a Battle Armor Faker this time) and maybe a Thunder Punch He-Man.
    ooh battle armor faker.i do love me faker variants!

for the Battle Armor i think they can do removable chest peices with varying damage.
    I want NA Skeletor and Rio Blast and I want them now!

If we get a Mosquitor, I'd love to have the blod in his chest. I'm not sure he will, though.

Also, I sure hope Scare Glow actually glows! Heh.
    For toy review videos and more, visit Pixel-Dan.com!
    SUBSCRIBE to me on YouTube! YouTube.com/c/Pixel-Dan