Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NYCC & SDCC Exclusives....

Evil Overlord of Veg Vegtablesam's Avatar

NYCC & SDCC Exclusives....

As the panel discussed, Mattel is planning on releasing exclusive figures for both of these cons. My question is, in what form. Weve already had King Grayskull, would you like Mattel to continue with previously unmade "big names" or would you rather them go down the re-paint route? Or possibly some of the lesser known figures as exclusives?

One of my ideal exclusive ideas would be a New Adventures He-Man and Skeletor two pack. This is because, as much as I love NA, I find it hard to invisage them being a success in the main line, although its meant to cover all aspects of MOTU. However, I feel it could make an awesome exclusive which could ultimately become accesible to those who wanted it through the store.

What would you like?

FYI in case folks didn't know, the two conventions are going to have two DIFFERENT exclusives!
    My feedback: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...=125066&page=2

Awesome Traders List: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=135253

The Cradle Will Rock As I'm Drivin' Down Highway 40 In My Big Ol' Pick Up Truck.

I hope that they have a theme between the CON's. Like one being Eldor and the He-ro.
    Check out the Masters Of The Galaxy Podcast. And also check out Masters of the Galaxy Facebook page

Follow me on Twitter.... BrianOzone
    My feedback threadhttp://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...or-Brian-Ozone

When is the NYCC? Are we talking about this years exclusives or next years (2009) exclusives?

Quote Originally Posted by Orko's Hat View Post
    When is the NYCC? Are we talking about this years exclusives or next years (2009) exclusives?
    Im sure its next year.
    Check out the Masters Of The Galaxy Podcast. And also check out Masters of the Galaxy Facebook page

Heroic Master of Sleep Lay Ze-Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegtablesam View Post
    Or possibly some of the lesser known figures as exclusives?
    Well, it's always something of a dilemma, because you don't want it to be such an unknown character that no casual collectors (the majority of con-goers) will be interested.

But if it's too important a character, that will anger fans who aren't guaranteed they'll get one.

I think a subscription/membership type plan for MotU collectors on Matty would go a LONG way to avoid that mess altogether.

If you're a subscriber, you're automatically entitled to ___ of each exclusive.

I think it will be someone good. Regardless if its not it will sell out. Collectors will buy it. And don't forget the scalpers. So it could be a lesser known but it will sell. They said that 2 never before figures will be out next year. The Toyguru said on Fwoosh that the Green Goddess and He-ro will be made. I have a feeling those two figures are your Con exclusives.

Evil and Reads Everything Straight Edge's Avatar
    Yeah, a Teela repaint as the Green Goddess sounds about right for an exclusive. If she's the NYCC one, I'll be happy.

whatever/whomever..I'm buying.
    AWESOME TRADERS:
    Sammy Banderas/jcb1973/Troy-Klops/Mystical musician/Daviono1089

MY .ORG FEEDBACK

MY EBAY FEEDBACK

"I Do hope you don't bruise easily He-Man!"
    ~Stevetor~

Quote Originally Posted by stevetor View Post
    whatever/whomever..I'm buying.

Yea thats what im saying.
    Last edited by Brian Ozone; July 31, 2008 at 09:35pm.

I think the exclusives will most likely be characters like Green Goddess, Faker, Moss Man, etc.

NYCC is actually February 6-9, 2009. I think it was in April this year, so it has been moved up quite a bit. It's only 6 months away. Should we start the countdown

Quote Originally Posted by Zodach View Post
    NYCC is actually February 6-9, 2009. I think it was in April this year, so it has been moved up quite a bit. It's only 6 months away. Should we start the countdown
    I will definitly be there this year.

That PlanetEternia.de guy Sir Reilly's Avatar
    I think it's a pretty safe bet that we're gonna see the Green Goddess as an Exclusive for NYCC or SDCC. Though I also could imagine that a Blue Wings Stratos might be the NYCC Exclusive.
    "Why's Dragstor riding on Night Stalker?" "Cause he can."

Heroic Warrior of Avion
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Reilly View Post
    I think it's a pretty safe bet that we're gonna see the Green Goddess as an Exclusive for NYCC or SDCC. Though I also could imagine that a Blue Wings Stratos might be the NYCC Exclusive.
    I think both of those sound like reasonable guesses. I'm really hoping for a blue-winged Stratos exclusive-- and I hope it's at the NYCC, since I'll probably go next year!

--Leanne

I think they will choose obscure characters for NYCC and SDCC 2009. Stratos is going to be one of their bigger sellers in my opinion, so I think he will be produced in bigger numbers and sold on the website ( giving him two sets of colored wings). Characters like the Green Goddess, He-Ro, Eldor and Adora will possibilhy not have as much appeal to all corners of the community, so are more of a risk to produce in higher numbers.

By making them convention exclusives Mattel can charge even more money for these figures, while the hype building up to the cons re the exclusives will aim to drum up more awareness and support for these characters, hopefully getting more peope intrested in, ensuring they are all bought up. I do like the idea of He-Ro and Eldor as the 2 exclusives. It would be cool to think within one year we could get both of these guys. But I would much prefer to see Adora first!
    PRO CLASSIC POP TOY DESIGN ELEMENTS BEING USED IN MOTUC TO COMPLEMENT THE FILMATION DESIGNS!!!!

I FULLY SUPPORT THE INCLUSION OF ILLUMINA IN MOTUC!!!!!

IF YOUR SICK OF WAITING FOR A LIGHT TO APPEAR AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL, STRIDE DOWN THERE AND LIGHT THE BLOODY THING YOURSELF!!!!!!!

If they have to do exclusives, I hope they don't use electronic packaging next time. It sucks that those of us who live overseas couldn't buy Grayskull from the online store.
    Last edited by RocketPunch; August 1, 2008 at 02:05pm.

Heroic Warrior Orko's Magic Hat's Avatar
    A retooled sculpt or a redecco would do fine similar to King Grayskull.

You do want some hype and excitement over the exclusives, it would be boring to have an exclusive who has a "different belt colour" to the regular one. Besides it would be a wasted opportunity.

Figures I think would make good exclusives

Faceless One (in Zalacia packaging)

Green Goddess

Savage He-Man

Battle Damaged Horde Trooper

Count Marzo

Keldor

Adora

Prince Adam (Blue jacket - Mini comic varient)

Tuvar

Badhra

A Tuvar and Badhra two-pack would be godly, they should make Two-Bad the figure of the month of that con if it were ever to happen.

In my mind the perfect exclusives would be GG and Blue winged stratos.

AND you have their most avid fans at the right conventions if you have Leanne at NYCC for the Blue Winged Stratos. Then yours truly at SDCC with the Green Goddess.

Like I said in the other thread... If that happened, I'll be doing a new painting/poster for sure of GG, and I'd absolutely make a GG T-Shirt of some kind.

Then with the illustrious Leanne at NYCC, they could re-print her comic Vol. 3 #7 and sell that with the figure! Leanne would be right there to sign them all for you! How cool would that be?!
    We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. -George Bernard Shaw
    Nate Baertsch Illustration Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Baena View Post
    In my mind the perfect exclusives would be GG and Blue winged stratos.

AND you have their most avid fans at the right conventions if you have Leanne at NYCC for the Blue Winged Stratos. Then yours truly at SDCC with the Green Goddess.

Like I said in the other thread... If that happened, I'll be doing a new painting/poster for sure of GG, and I'd absolutely make a GG T-Shirt of some kind.

Then with the illustrious Leanne at NYCC, they could re-print her comic Vol. 3 #7 and sell that with the figure! Leanne would be right there to sign them all for you! How cool would that be?!
    I like those ideas! But I feel that the Stratos exclusive would have to be a bit more than just blue wings, as its not a huge departure from the Stratos to be released on the site. Perhaps blue wings Stratos with an awesome accessory, like the egg or staff of Avion, or even Hawk

Heroic Warrior of Avion
    Quote Originally Posted by Baena View Post
    Exactly!

LOL! Everyone would be like, "Leanne who? That chick can't draw!"

Seriously, I wish I could go back and do that entire issue all over again!

--Leanne

I like those ideas! But I feel that the Stratos exclusive would have to be a bit more than just blue wings, as its not a huge departure from the Stratos to be released on the site. Perhaps blue wings Stratos with an awesome accessory, like the egg or staff of Avion, or even Hawk

Oh yeah... We should know better by now that the Four Horsemen don't just do repaints.
    There are varying accessories. Slight sculpt changes here and there on various parts.

I could see a Blue Winged Stratos looking more like Alcala's strange but cool take on Stratos with the feathered collar, no jet pack and a more skin tone instead of the gray.

Same with the Green Goddess, she could have a different head sculpt than Teela, maybe another accessory like a dagger that could strap onto He-Man's boot for instance?

Not just re-paints.

Quote Originally Posted by StratosMacca View Post

LOL! Everyone would be like, "Leanne who? That chick can't draw!"

Seriously, I wish I could go back and do that entire issue all over again!

--Leanne
    Aw c'mon Leanne?! It's a great issue!

Here's an idea... Leanne's likeness sculpted as Hawk!!!
    Now THERE'S an exclusive that would sell like HOT CAKES!!!
    We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. -George Bernard Shaw
    Nate Baertsch Illustration Blog

I'm not a fan of the idea of different exclusives for the different cons, though I understand the motive there. KG was only available for a very short time after SDCC before selling out on the site. If the same is true for both of next years exclusives, you're doubling the number of fans who miss out.

A blue-winged Stratos would be OK. Neither that or the green Goddess have much appeal to me, though. Stratos is ssupposed to have red wings IMO, and I never thought much of the green Goddess. Still, there are a small number of fans who would be excited by these as exclusives. I don't think they would have as wide an appeal as an exclusive should, though.

" … the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few … "
    " … or the one … "

{ @Lioncourt on Twitter | MastersCast | My Blog }

That PlanetEternia.de guy Sir Reilly's Avatar
    I didn't dare to suggest this, but since we're talking about retools now, anyway...
    What if the Horsemen also added a retooled "beartless" head? That way, you not only would get a Blue Wings Stratos Exclusive, but a GENERIC BIRDMAN as well! You only want the regular Stratos figure with red wings? Use the 2nd head of the Exclusive Stratos, and have a Birdman Soldier as comfortable addition to your collection!
    "Why's Dragstor riding on Night Stalker?" "Cause he can."