Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alternate Heads for PoP figures?

Alternate Heads for PoP figures?

I know Mattel said the PoP figures would all have sculpted hair in the MOTUC line, but do you think they should each have an alternate head with realistic, rooted hair? This way it's a throwback to the original PoP figures from the 80's and you can choose which way you would like to display them. They're doing this with Mer-Man (one classic toy head and one classic art head), why not do the same with PoP?

Because, after all, this is truly a Classics line. It's only fair to do for all the PoP fans/collectors who love the 80's figures and have been CRAVING new PoP figures for decades.

It shouldn't be too costly for Mattel. They can mold the hair separate from the head, so it would be 2 of the same head just one has real hair.

Also, it would be a nice thing for the people who prefer the look of the rooted hair, like me and probably many of the fans of PoP.

I really, REALLY hope they do this!

What do you guys think? Having a rooted/realistic head IN ADDITION to the sculpted rubber/plastic head.

EDIT: For MOC collectors who do not want to see an extra head in the package, Mattel could hide the second head with "realistic" hair behind the name tag/graphic on the front. This way you wouldn't even be able to TELL there's a second head unless you open the package.

Spread the word about this thread PoP fans!

Remember, please keep it respectful people. This thread is for your specific opinion on whether or not you would like alternate heads for the PoP figures, not a thread for which figures/lines you do not want to see in MOTUC.

****Can a mod help me with this? I decided this would be better as a poll, so I posted one at this link:

http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=162007

Could all the replies in this thread be moved to the poll? Thanks whomever can help. ****
    Last edited by Darkspecter; August 1, 2008 at 06:39pm.

I'd be against it. A major flaw (to me) of Mattel's POP figures was that they were too doll and not action figure. If they fit more in with MOTU look-wise, I think they would have been even more popular than they were when the line hit.

I think they should drop the rooted hair idea. We got it with the 200X figure, that was enough of a throw back for me.

The New Adventures of Ion HeManOfGreyskull's Avatar
    No on the rooted hair. Worst action figure idea ever. I cry when I see the majesty that She-Ra could have been with fake plastic hair.
    Rob
    Captain Picard:So...five card stud, nothing wild...and the sky's the limit.

Quote Originally Posted by HeManOfGreyskull View Post
    No on the rooted hair. Worst action figure idea ever. I cry when I see the majesty that She-Ra could have been with fake plastic hair.
    I may be in a minority here, but I personally HATED the sculpted She-Ra hair we saw. She would be forever in "hurricane hair" pose. I mean, seriously, how windy is Etheria REALLY?

Seriously though, that sculpt REALLY has me worried about how the sculpted hair will look.

However, my MAIN concern is this: with the sculpted hair the PoP girls probably won't be able to move their heads...at all. That pretty much defeats the purpose of having them articulated. The only ways I've seen this prevented are:

1. Windblown hair. I personally think this looks horrible and limits the ways you can pose the figures in a "realistic" manner.

2. Having a big space between the neck and head. Again, this looks bad and unnatural.

With an additional rooted hair head, you can pose the figure however you want to.

Also, I'd just like to mention I have a MOTU and PoP collection and I much prefer my PoP figures to the MOTU ones. I think they did a better job making them look like women (the later releases, not the first ones. Most of the first ones looked like they were on steroids).

Not really. I don't need two heads. I hate rooted hair. I hate having to comb my action figure. It is messy constantly and has flyaways and it just annoys me. I vote no on the rooted hair idea.

For anyone who forgets what the 2004 prototype of She-Ra looked like, I found this pic in the news history:

Not trying to be rude or anything, but the hair reminds me of what playdoh looks like when you make it into spaghetti.

Quote Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
    If they fit more in with MOTU look-wise, I think they would have been even more popular than they were when the line hit.
    I just noticed this quote, so I thought I'd comment on it. As Tallstar pointed out in the PoP forums, the first year of PoP outsold the first year of MOTU. So, I think the line was pretty popular when it first hit.
    Last edited by Darkspecter; August 1, 2008 at 12:29am.

Movie mayhem!
    I would definitly like there to be a rooted hair alternate head... and to those of you who so that would be a mistake... i don't see how. I mean you are still going to get the sculpted hair... having the rooted hair head in there isn't goign to make someone not buy it... if they don't like it they just dont' use it... but it will make more people that wouldn't buy it buy it. Its a great idea i think
    Check out my MOTU Spin off comic here: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...62#post3784962

Sheboygan,WI(Home of the Worlds Biggest Bratwurst Celebration)
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkspecter View Post
    I may be in a minority here, but I personally HATED the sculpted She-Ra hair we saw. She would be forever in "hurricane hair" pose. I mean, seriously, how windy is Etheria REALLY?

Seriously though, that sculpt REALLY has me worried about how the sculpted hair will look.

However, my MAIN concern is this: with the sculpted hair the PoP girls probably won't be able to move their heads...at all. That pretty much defeats the purpose of having them articulated. The only ways I've seen this prevented are:

1. Windblown hair. I personally think this looks horrible and limits the ways you can pose the figures in a "realistic" manner.

2. Having a big space between the neck and head. Again, this looks bad and unnatural.

With an additional rooted hair head, you can pose the figure however you want to.

Also, I'd just like to mention I have a MOTU and PoP collection and I much prefer my PoP figures to the MOTU ones. I think they did a better job making them look like women (the later releases, not the first ones. Most of the first ones looked like they were on steroids).
    I see your point but look at other lines that have the sculpted hair.DCSH Supergirl,both versions,and soft almost rubber like sculpted hair and they look great and thier heads can move with out a problem.They maybe a little "wind blown" to the look,but still are great.Marvel Legends (toybiz/hasbro) have the soft rubber like sculpted hair and those are good to,the heads move in all directions for the most part,atleast mine do anyway.And then their is the Jakks WWE CS and RA lines have the same type of hair and they all move pretty good to.I am not all saying I don't like the idea of a throwback rooted style head and a sculpted hair head.I think it's a good idea..............

Quote Originally Posted by Patreek View Post
    I would definitly like there to be a rooted hair alternate head... and to those of you who so that would be a mistake... i don't see how. I mean you are still going to get the sculpted hair... having the rooted hair head in there isn't goign to make someone not buy it... if they don't like it they just dont' use it... but it will make more people that wouldn't buy it buy it. Its a great idea i think
    ...........on the other hand it also depends on how Mattel packs the figures in the yet to be shown packaging.I like to have one MOC,and one loose.Now if they display the figure with the rooted head on,and the other off to the side,I would only buy 1 of each figure made.I'm more in the "now" and would rather have the sculpted hair head on the figure when I buy it.I just think it would look better because my 5 yr old daughter likes barbies,and Mattel hads the dolls hair sown into the backing of the inner box.and is a hassle to get the doll out with out ripping some hair out,and sometimes all the hair doesnt get sown and is all over inside the packaging. But I'd be happy with the 2 heads deal,and would prefer the sculpted hair head to be on the figure inside of the packaging.Sorry to ramble on and make useless points.
    My active ebay items for sale.http://shop.ebay.com/merchant/taddow...Q_fromZQQ_mdoZ
    --------------------------------------------
    GOOD TRADERS
    jbaw2, Dr.Omega, Andrea_the_cat@yahoo.it, tmcclurg, celticsfan, THEGODBEAST, Venom77713, Royalt1us, racerx, davidlogan, granbeetle, MOTU SAN JOSE 2, prime731,galaxywarrior,Butterflyer,Creasy Bear.

Quote Originally Posted by BURTDAWG View Post
    I see your point but look at other lines that have the sculpted hair.DCSH Supergirl,both versions,and soft almost rubber like sculpted hair and they look great and thier heads can move with out a problem.They maybe a little "wind blown" to the look,but still are great.Marvel Legends (toybiz/hasbro) have the soft rubber like sculpted hair and those are good to,the heads move in all directions for the most part,atleast mine do anyway.And then their is the Jakks WWE CS and RA lines have the same type of hair and they all move pretty good to.
    I agree, and like the soft rubber hair on the figures, but it does greatly restrict the head movement on some figures. Here are some examples:

- Mattel's Batgirl (like the DCUC line). Her head can barely move at all.
    - Jakks WWE vampire-looking female figure. Again, she looks sweet but she can't move her head too much.
    - Every female figure from JLU by Mattel.
    - Marvel Legends Storm
    - Marvel Legends White Queen.

It's usually a problem with the long haired gals, which is understandable and all the PoP girls have long hair.

Quote Originally Posted by BURTDAWG View Post
    But I'd be happy with the 2 heads deal,and would prefer the sculpted hair head to be on the figure inside of the packaging.
    If they do the two heads, and a pray they do, I want them to display the scuplted head ON the figure, like you said. The rooted head can EASILY be hidden behind the "name tag" on the package, so MOC collectors wouldn't be able to see the second head. With DCUC a lot of the BAF pieces are hidden this way.

Sheboygan,WI(Home of the Worlds Biggest Bratwurst Celebration)
    I agree, and like the soft rubber hair on the figures, but it does greatly restrict the head movement on some figures. Here are some examples:

- Mattel's Batgirl (like the DCUC line). Her head can barely move at all.
    - Jakks WWE vampire-looking female figure. Again, she looks sweet but she can't move her head too much.
    - Every female figure from JLU by Mattel.
    - Marvel Legends Storm
    - Marvel Legends White Queen.

It's usually a problem with the long haired gals, which is understandable and all the PoP girls have long hair.

If they do the two heads, and a pray they do, I want them to display the scuplted head ON the figure, like you said. The rooted head can EASILY be hidden behind the "name tag" on the package, so MOC collectors wouldn't be able to see the second head. With DCUC a lot of the BAF pieces are hidden this way.
    Those are all good points.Now some of those in which you mentioned I have,and some I dont.I was just playing with some of my girls on display,and I see what you mean.Maybe Mattel can make a softer rubber for hair if there is to be a sculpted hair head version.Or make it seem thinner,but still maintain some detail.
    My active ebay items for sale.http://shop.ebay.com/merchant/taddow...Q_fromZQQ_mdoZ
    --------------------------------------------
    GOOD TRADERS
    jbaw2, Dr.Omega, Andrea_the_cat@yahoo.it, tmcclurg, celticsfan, THEGODBEAST, Venom77713, Royalt1us, racerx, davidlogan, granbeetle, MOTU SAN JOSE 2, prime731,galaxywarrior,Butterflyer,Creasy Bear.

Shera's secret heartthrob oulala's Avatar
    I like the blown up hair, here's a custom that I did using the DCUC supergirl head (second one)

Quote Originally Posted by Emiliano View Post
    The harsh reality is that the Horde were originally intended for POP, and they have always been intended for POP. Filmation developed the characters for the POP cartoon. It's a fact.

Personally I am all for sculpted hair, and I loved the 2004 sculpted hair She-Ra prototype. Why we couldn't have had that as an additional head I don't know. Keldor had three heads! Realistically if we are only going to get three or four POP characters & considering the price Mattel is charging, they can easily afford to include an additional head with the POP figures. This way fans of the classic POP toyline get a true MOTU classics update, while fans who hated the doll influance, but liked the characters can have a totally sculpted version. Viola everyone is happy.
    Last edited by Angel-T; August 1, 2008 at 03:47am.
    PRO CLASSIC POP TOY DESIGN ELEMENTS BEING USED IN MOTUC TO COMPLEMENT THE FILMATION DESIGNS!!!!

I FULLY SUPPORT THE INCLUSION OF ILLUMINA IN MOTUC!!!!!

IF YOUR SICK OF WAITING FOR A LIGHT TO APPEAR AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL, STRIDE DOWN THERE AND LIGHT THE BLOODY THING YOURSELF!!!!!!!

I'd love to see all the PoP gals come with an alternate rooted-hair head. But please, give them more hair than 2004 She-Ra! Her's was too fine.

I just noticed this quote, so I thought I'd comment on it. As Tallstar pointed out in the PoP forums, the first year of PoP outsold the first year of MOTU. So, I think the line was pretty popular when it first hit.
    I don't want to sidetrack this thread, but all you are doing is spinning that information. She-Ra had the popularity of MOTU to build off off; MOTU started out without support. And let us note that I am not hating on She-Ra. As you all know I feel her cartoon (and origin) was superior and I am all about the Horde.

In conclusion, I stay firm that rooted hair has to go away and that is how it should have been in the 80s.

oulala -- Love the head! Thanks for posting!

grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar
    I know Mattel said the PoP figures would all have sculpted hair in the MOTUC line, but do you think they should each have an alternate head with realistic, rooted hair?
    I think this is an inspired idea. I love a solution where everyone gets what they want, and this seems the perfect compromise. I'd likely go for the rooted hair head to allow some actual neck movement, something always sacrificed at least to a degree with sculpted long locks.

And, yes, you'd likely have to hide the rooted hair head away. There are those who wouldn't touch a package where you could actually see such a girly thing...
    Last edited by scott metzger; August 1, 2008 at 08:51am.
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

Filmation She-Ra Forever! AlessandraF's Avatar
    I would love to see sculpted hair, but not like that 2004 prototipe... the sculpted permit to have more cartoon forms.... ok, I admit: I'm so fanatic for the Filmations's cartoon, are you understood?!
    Last edited by AlessandraF; August 1, 2008 at 09:14am.
    "One ring to rule them all, one ring to find them,
    One ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them..."

I'm supporting Power and Honour Foundation!
    http://www.powerandhonor.org/

………… ________
    ……… / | \\___
    …… /........|-.... |.…..... o\
    ……… (@)-----------(@)-΄

LOL @ having to hide the rooted hair head.

If that's going to be an issue, they can always offer it separately. Or do the whole: Buy X amount of product and get a free PoP head.

Heroic Warrior
    Just wanted to throw my 2 cents in...

I dont have many of the original POP figures. Two in fact. I have the 200x she-ra. The idea to include an additional rooted hair version is problably the smartest idea I have heard, in regards to the MOTUC line yet.

It gives both sides the style they want. Honors the original line, while updating it at the same time to the style a lot of MOTU fans only want. I thinks its great. And if you dont want one head or the other thats fine. But why would anyone be against having both. That will make more people happy and increase sales. Which is the ultimate goal with this line anyway. and the only way it will continue.

What do you guys think? Having a rooted/realistic head IN ADDITION to the sculpted rubber/plastic head.
    Definately no to that. I don't want rooted hair in a MOC - I really don't. And I do want to get PoP-Characters in the MotUC-Line - just they really have to have sculpted hair! I am however all for a "alternate heads-pack" with rooted hair for the PoP-fans - I just won't buy it and that's it, everyone would be happy (unless MOC-collecting PoP-fans of course).

I don't think you're right about that. If they use a softer rubber-like material the head will have all movability there is and the hair will just addapt to the position. Where's the problem? I have a female figure from McFarlane Toys (Lucidique from the Tortured Souls-series) which is done the way I described and it's a perfect figure!

edDy
    Evil is a point of view - Lestat in Interview with the Vampire

See my trading feedback here: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...eedback-Thread

Rooted hair is girly... It reminds me way too much of Barbie and I am not going to get Barbies. So, rooted hair all the way. They have to fit in with the MotUC line aswell. I mean, Teela has sculpted hair... See what I am getting at?
    Last edited by Neo; August 1, 2008 at 04:32pm.
    Take a look at my deviantart. http://kaassouffle.deviantart.com/gallery/

Im a fan of sculpted hair. It just looks better. After a while the rooted hair looks like a disaster.
    Check out the Masters Of The Galaxy Podcast. And also check out Masters of the Galaxy Facebook page

Follow me on Twitter.... BrianOzone
    My feedback threadhttp://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...or-Brian-Ozone

A big fan of Slush Head
    No rooted hair!!! Sculpted hair is the way to go.
    http://mikebock.deviantart.com/
    SLUSH HEAD FINALLY SHOWED UP IN MOTUC YAY!!!

Sculpted hair please.

Sure there's the head rotation problems that can come up, but there are figures out there with beautiful long hair, that doesn't look windblown, and can move their heads fairly well.
    (Many of the DC Direct WW figures for example.)

It's when the hair falls over the shoulders that you run into mobility problems.
    We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. -George Bernard Shaw
    Nate Baertsch Illustration Blog

Rooted or sculpted, I think more, how they look like as complete figures.
    Will take MATTEL the design from the cartoons or original toy line?
    PRINCESS OF POWER will look more like action figures, will fit to the MASTERS!
    I don't like that!

I love that the PRINCESS OF POWER line have his own style similar to BARBIE!
    I never get the original flair as I saw the 200x version of SHE-RA!

Let pray for all real PRINCESS OF POWER collectors, that MATTEL release some figures as 80's commemoratives, like the STAR SISTERS made with the concept from 1987 - NO Redesign!!

Very much opposed to rooted hair. Completely agree with TheShadow. I have some female action figures with sculpted hair molded in soft rubber/plastic material that allows for movement.

" … the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few … "
    " … or the one … "

{ @Lioncourt on Twitter | MastersCast | My Blog }