Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question to fellow collectors - Why own 3 or more of a MOTUC fig?

Question to fellow collectors - Why own 3 or more of a MOTUC fig?

I'm just curious, and this is an honest question, please. I see quite a few buying 3,4, even 5 King Grayskulls and other exclusives as well. I am curious as to why? How do you find the space for it all? I hope no one is offended by these questions. I've just been wondering about this for some time now.

I have amassed a pretty good sized collection of various stuff over the years, and at most have I bought 2 of the same things. But very rarely. I mean, verrrrry rarely. And I ended up selling the duplicates soon after. But what does one do with 3 or more?

Thanks in advance.

I'm still trying to sell things as we speak Its tough but if you've been collecting for years, limiting and selling is the only real solution. I try to limit what I buy or collect as well as sell what doesn't interest me anymore. I also ask myself if I really need this in my collection, think it over for a couple of days and then see where it goes. I also have high standards to keep me from buying anything and everything.

I'm an anal collector when it comes to collecting toys. I'm also a MOC/MIB collector so everything I decide to get HAS to be in "perfect" condition, otherwise I don't keep it. Given that the classics are on-line, finding one of each character up to my standards will be tough, I'm only keeping one for my personal collection, one to open and one as back up. Thats the only reason I'm not crazy about off-line purchases. You can't physically see the condition that your purchasing it in. I'm hoping Mattel understands this given that its a collectors line and takes certain precuations. BTW, I think I read somewhere that they actually "trained" people on how to ship these?

I bought two grayskulls in the hopes that i would get both the regular and the statue, i would have actually bought more online in order to help my odds of getting both but i did not have the money. When i buy things in the store like 25th Aniv GI joes i just buy one of each. But if something is an exclusive and i can actually get it i dont see a problem with trying to get a few so that i can sell my extras, if i make a profit that money will go towards buying more figures in the future.
    My Collection:

Items available for sale or trade.

I have had Good Trades/Deals with: Siroko, Klocket, JVS3, oICEMANo, River, roboticplanet, rougewelder, joeybones, dutch, miscus555, tsilevon, charliecore, cderby79, manson1978, CrazyMotuFan, TombstonePiledrive, rcpax & dark knight.

I BOUGHT THREE KG. ONE TO DISPLAY, ONE TO KEEP MIB, & ONE FOR MY NEPHEW. I'LL BE BUYING 2 OF EVERY FIGURE THAT'S RELEASED. I'M DISABLED WITH NO WIFE OR KIDS. I CAN'T GET OUT MUCH SO COLLECTING STAR WARS & MOTU IS MY ENTERTAINMENT. I DON'T SELL ANY OF MY STUFF. I DISPLAY IT OR STORE IT. MY NEPHEW(7) CAN'T WAIT FOR ME TO DIE BECAUSE IT'S ALL HIS.
    I'm disabled because I chose to drink & drive. I broke my neck, when I totaled my car. I was in the exact same condition as Christopher Reeves was, but I regained my ability to walk. Please don't drink & drive. To read my story, checkout my website & share it with your family & friends.

http://www.dontdrinkandride.com/

Heroic Warrior
    If I buy 3 of a figure it's because I want one for my collection at home, one to keep MOC and one to have at work.

CAPS LOCK: Prepare to unleash the fury!

On topic - I buy one of the ones I like. I remove them from the packaging and display them (and sometimes play with them - they are toys after all).

To the MOC/MIB crowd - if that's what you like, fine with me. Different stroke for different folks...

I personally HATE (yes, I'm unleashing the fury) exclusives. It's always difficult to get them and the scaplers on e-bay only seem to profit from them. Its the same reason I hate variants.

The ebayers are already going nuts trying to sell these. I personally do not like convention exclusives unless they are some unimportant or non exisitant character in that line/toy's universe. I never got keldor or mossman because I really did not want them, esp at the price people were asking after they came out. If it was not for a good friend of mine (Adora, has hook ups) I would have not had faker or she-ra. For example look at the rest of the mattel exclusives. No really big names in those, but KG ends up playing a small pivotal role in the 200x series.

The biggest example of an exclusive screw job was the botcon from two years ago. They had just released the classics line and had three out of the seeker jets out for individual sale. Hasbro thought it would be wise to make the other three seekers botcon exclusives. This literally made the TF community a little upset. Not only were the making main characters exclusives, but you had to pay a pretty penny to get the set at the convention. This would be like mattel making a regular skeletor or merman a convention exclusive and not release it for the masses to buy.

Off the soap box. I used to be one of those collectors who had to have two of everything. one to open, one to save. I ended up selling most of that and now just open everything. they are toys and I have kids. It is fun watching them play with my snake armor he man. Other than what mattel is going to release, my attention is still on my first toy love, transformers (don't shoot me, my kids love he man and she ra, I am raising them up right). I am trying to recollect what I sold and what I broke when I was little. The japanese stuff is the hardest and most expensive to get, thank goodness MOTU is not a japanese product by origin.

I am quite sure that if I didn't buy 3 figures at the launch they would be purchased by someone else. At least I will sell mine for a decent rate when I decide to sell and I would always offer it here before ebay.
    My Vintage MOTU Want List:
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=160111
    My Others Want List:
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=169076
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    Vintage MOC and MISB For Sale:
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...FA-and-non-AFA

Sheboygan,WI(Home of the Worlds Biggest Bratwurst Celebration)
    I just love toys.Never really stopped liking them.I do have some stuff on ebay right now,only cause I have a son on the way and need to make room for him and all of his more important things.I buy 3 or 4 of the same figure if I think it's cool enough,1 moc,1 loose,1 back up,1 to customize.But I don't do that all of the time unless I really like the character.
    My active ebay items for sale.http://shop.ebay.com/merchant/taddow...Q_fromZQQ_mdoZ
    --------------------------------------------
    GOOD TRADERS
    jbaw2, Dr.Omega, Andrea_the_cat@yahoo.it, tmcclurg, celticsfan, THEGODBEAST, Venom77713, Royalt1us, racerx, davidlogan, granbeetle, MOTU SAN JOSE 2, prime731,galaxywarrior,Butterflyer,Creasy Bear.

Thanks to everyone who replied. It was all quite enlightening.

phelps, I am also a Transformers fan, and I remember the big screw-over back in Botcon 2007 with the 3 seeker exclusives. That was a big issue then that I hope never happens again. I want to get the Universe Smokescreen (Prowl repaint) when it comes out (hopefully) in the new Universe Classics line, and am praying it won't be a 2009 Botcon Exclusive. I really despise those because a) they're freaking expensive, and b) simply hard to get considering how limited they are.

I was thinking about all this as I am packing my stuff. It's been aggravating me. I don't hve a whole lot, but I do seem to have enough to annoy me when trying to pack everything.

When 200X MotU came out, I bought 2 He-Mans, and some other doubles of main characters. One set is open, the others just sit in dust collecting boxes. Argh!!! Same goes for a few Gundam models. Looks like I may be selling a few MotU, all my Gundam models (unpainted, unassembled) on ebay.

I'll miss some of it, but like one person said here, I have to take it down to just a few or a couple of lines. Transformers is fun, as is He-Man. Getting 25th GI Joes is fun too...if I can find any characters worth buying that is.

I bought the limit cause I knew it was my best chance of trying to get the bronze variant. I also knew they would sell out and I could try to flip them for a profit. Does that make me feel good? Yes.

I love the fact that I can make money off my hobby and within my hobby to put back into the hobby.

Everyone here has paid a scalper price at some point, and if you have the chance to do it and make money back on a situation where you had to pay that scalper price... you would do it too.

Not saying I'll be charging an arm and a leg for my extras, but if I can make enough to help pay for the ones I'm keeping why not.

I don't mind seeing collectors purchasing multiples at the con and selling them on ebay for a "little" more than they paid, after all they are performing a service for those who could not attend and missed the boat on matty.com. The ones I have a problem with are the ones who waste the four horseman's time having them sign all this stuff then it ends up on ebay for 3 or 4 times as much as they paid for it.....I hope Mattel releases a ton more of these king grayskull's and then these scalpers get stuck with them....Since I am an opener anyway I could care less if its signed, in a nice decorative box or is in an "exclusive all white mailer" Just Give me the toys & I will shut up. After all they are "Toys" not priceless Ming dynasty 1 of a kind China vases even though they probably are made in China.
    Ram Man's long lost brother!

I bought 3. My plan is to have two of each type of KG. Depending on what I get, I'll be more than happy to sell or trade.

And Killer-Clone, I really don't care what you think of me or what you don't. I don't need your approvals and blessing to live my life the way I want to. You think I'm greedy? Ok. You go ahead. The people who mean something to me know better.

Have a nice day.
    Uncle Montork has returned from Trolla!

I think anyone who doesn't take advantage of a situation where they are able to stock up on something of value isn't really right in the head. The money you make helps pay for your own collection and makes it easier to collect. It's not the citizens of SD's fault that they are given an opportunity and were not. And furthermore if someone from outside of SD spent a ton of money to attend the con I think they have every right to stock up on exclusives to help pay for there trip. They deserve a perk for going out of there way to attend the con.

grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar
    Okay, got to get this off my chest. Scalping is scalping. If you're snatching up short packs or exclusives and the like to sell on e-bay, no work is required, no contribution is made to society, you're simply living off the efforts of others. There's a word for an organism that lives off something else and gives nothing back. Go look it up. End of sermon.

As for buying multiples of anything, I have to have a good reason. I picked up a couple extra Teelas when the 2002 line was out (after they'd been out for a while to give others a chance; I didn't grab the first few to show in the area) for customs, and I'd likely buy multiple Horde Troopers and such. I just picked up two of Mattel's Infinite Heroes Atoms, one for my Infinites display, and one to go with my 6" DCUC figures (Atom does shrink, and the DCUC version coming out later this year is full sized). I'll likely get two Mer-Mans, one to display each head. But that's pretty well the extent of multiple purchases for me.
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

Quote Originally Posted by Man-E-Toys View Post
    couldn't you have just charged it then payed when you got your credit card bill? i don't get why you wouldn't just buy it.
    I don't use my credit cards for collecting and things such as figures. Actually I rarley use them at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Orko's Hat View Post
    I'm just curious, and this is an honest question, please. I see quite a few buying 3,4, even 5 King Grayskulls and other exclusives as well.
    HEH!?? How do they do that when you can't even create an account on Mattycollector.com???? Can someone help me out? I don't want to miss out on He-man and Beastman...

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by -= SupernovA =- View Post
    HEH!?? How do they do that when you can't even create an account on Mattycollector.com???? Can someone help me out? I don't want to miss out on He-man and Beastman...
    because until the figure goes on sale you cant. no preorder.

they are talking about when KG was for sale online and when he was for sale at the con.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by -= SupernovA =- View Post
    because until the figure goes on sale you cant. no preorder.

they are talking about when KG was for sale online and when he was for sale at the con.

As for people ordering more and depriving others....we have no way of knowing why someone ordered more. Maybe to give as a gift. Or maybe for other collectors that have paid but cant go to the con..like i did. Everyone had an equal chance of getting these figures, so to me its not depriving anyone of anything.

If you couldnt order them for some reason thats not a persons fault that could order them. When something is a limited run not everyone that wants one is gonna get it. Fair is giving everyone an equal chance. And thats what Mattel did. Some people paid 500 dollars for a hotel, plane, and car rental. Some got lucky enough to get on the site. But everyone had that same chance. If you couldnt afford to get one, or were not lucky enough that is unfortunate. But its not somes fault that could get it and i dont see a reason to give them a hard time. Especially if you dont know why they order the number they did.

i'm surprised nobody's mentioned to save on shipping yet (as far as the mattycollector site is concerned). i seem to recall some people talking about combining orders, although i don't know if anyone actually did that for KG or not. i only bought one because that's all i want. not to mention i'm going to have a hard time finding a spot for this new line as it is

Judging by thenumber and the amount thay are being sold foron ebay right now, it`s safe to say anyone who bought more than 2 are scalping them on ebay as we speak. $150 for a bronze variant that seems as if he`s been packed 50/50, gimme a break! I got mine from ebay for $50, which to me is a good price because #1 I guaruntee it`s a regular version, #2 is signed by the fourhorsemen. an extra $20 for those 2 things was awsome considering how much the price rose after Monday! Death to all scalpers, even the ones on the org!

I didn't buy any...there! TAKE THAT!!! But in all seriousness, yes to an extent its greedy but everyone has valid reasons for doing it. Yeah, I don't condone the fact that people are selling these for $100+ when it was sold for $30 but until Mattel has a better plan ( like the subscription ) your gonna have to depend on lady luck when ordering or bidding or attending. Its pointless to eat at each other, its just a figure...Sooner or later you'll get a hold of one. Now if you can just get a hold of yourselves

Masters Chronicles Host! Vinto-Man's Avatar
    i dont agree with the scalping. the one thing that kills me is the shipping. i remember seeing a figure that looked a bargain and the shipping to the UK was $100!!! i managed to get it elsewhere for a fraction of the price. id like to get a bronze king grayskull but im not prepared to pay through the nose for it.
    Masters of the Universe Chronicles Podcast!

To listen to any show click here

To join the facebook page click here

To subscribe via Itunes click here

Quote Originally Posted by mightybuck View Post
    i'm surprised nobody's mentioned to save on shipping yet (as far as the mattycollector site is concerned). i seem to recall some people talking about combining orders, although i don't know if anyone actually did that for KG or not. i only bought one because that's all i want. not to mention i'm going to have a hard time finding a spot for this new line as it is
    At this stage, you can only buy 3 of any one figure off the Mattel website. I'm sure if I sent a note saying I want 10 becuase I'm getting them for my friends, Mattel would not oblige