Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rather than the Classics line...

Heroic Warrior

Rather than the Classics line...

Hey guys, I was just wondering why Mattel would go to all the trouble of making new sculpts for the Classics line when they could just re-release the vintage figures we all know and love. They tested the waters with the commemorative line and from my understanding, collectors ate it up. So why not just continue releasing the commemoratives? I know I would rather have the figures I grew up with rather than the Classics and 200X lines. (Don't get me wrong, I love what the Four Horsemen have done, but if I were to have my choice between Vintage, 200X, and Classics, I would choose Vintage. That is where it all started.)

i see where you're coming from, but why continue remaking the old figures, when the old figures are all already out there? anyone can pick them up. of course not everyone is gonna want them MOC, but anyone can get the figures loose and in excellent to mint condition. i'd much rather have this new classics line as it's something new and takes the old figures and brings them up to date with a more modern design, plus plenty of articulation.

The only classics I want to see them release are the following:

- Hard to find figures like Laser Power He-Man and Skeletor, Megator, Tytus, etc.
    - Figures not released like He-Ro, Eldor, The Star Sisters, Darius, Mara, etc.
    - NEW figures to insert into the 80's line: Queen Marlena, Adora, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Man-E-Toys View Post
    why continue remaking the old figures, when the old figures are all already out there? anyone can pick them up.
    Exactly. The vintage line is best left in the 80's. Classics is what's now.

Nothing wrong with the commemoratives and if they release more I'll buy ALL of them, but I'm guessing you don't have King Grayskull yet, and all I can say is GET ONE! Cuz he's amazing and if you don't wanna pay ebay prices I COMPLETELY understand, but do order He-Man and I PROMISE that once you hold him in your hands you'll see why MOTUC is a MUST. But as others have said, in the meantime, go ahead and get out there and beef up your vintage collection with what's out there!
    My feedback: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...=125066&page=2

Awesome Traders List: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=135253

The Cradle Will Rock As I'm Drivin' Down Highway 40 In My Big Ol' Pick Up Truck.

From a business standpoint it makes more sense to make new figures. People who have the old will buy the new, where they probably won't buy re-releases.

A new line also brings in new fans who may not currently collect MOTU and wouldn't buy up re-releases either.

Even if I grew up with the 80s figures I'm much more interested in buying and collecting the MOTUC line than the 80s one.

Many years ago I wanted to buy and collect the 80s line of toys in memory of my childhood and the good moments I had with those toys. But, when I saw them again I changed my mind... It was definitely not as I thought... I was older my eyes were not showing to me what I remember.

Today, I think this new line is serious and detailed enough to give me the envy to collect them all.

Today, my adult eyes are seeing in this new MOTUC line what my children eyes were seeing with the 80s line when I was a child

Thanks Mattel for that!

I would love a line of classic reissues with slight alterations in the area of articulation. I would like to see leg joints like Flying Fists He-Man instead of the rubber bands. Additional shoulder articulation would be nice too.

2002/DC He-Man Video guy
    Quote Originally Posted by Schrinedog View Post
    Hey guys, I was just wondering why Mattel would go to all the trouble of making new sculpts for the Classics line when they could just re-release the vintage figures we all know and love. They tested the waters with the commemorative line and from my understanding
    Since they didn't have any of the molds of the original line, they needed to re-create those to make the commemoratives. Based on figures that they could get their hands on. Don't know what happened to them molds after that.

But to re-release vintage line, would mean starting all over again with making molds for figures they didn't release in 2000.

So starting anew with Vintage might be just as costly as starting with Classics, but the Classics have upgrades to them, which gives them an edge.
    He-Man & She-Ra fan and contributor to official Dark Horse MOTU/POP books

· ToonJukka - Youtube Channel with He-Man/She-Ra videos; Origins, Trivia, Top5 lists and more!

Heroic Warrior
    Well, I did not buy the reissues the first time around, so I doubt I would now. Even if I did buy them, I would probably only get He-Man, Battle Cat, Skeletor and Panthor. After that, I doubt I'd purchase more. They look way too dated to me.

i'm sure some people will swear up and down that the classics line IS what they had as a kid

every now and then i still have to tell people that my 20th anniversary optimus prime is not the same thing that they grew up with

If you want the originals start hitting up garage sales and thrift stores. It takes some work, but they are out there. It's way more fun to collect too.

grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar
    THe target for these figures is, to a significant degree, the folks who likely already have the 80's figures. I myself would likely pass on all but a few if they just made what I already have. Some truly retro figures in addition to this line might peak my interest, but it's the updated take on the original figures that has me excited here.

Just like the aforementioned 20th Anniversary Optimus Prime and the new GI Joe figures, these are the MOTU figures I always wished for back in the 80's.
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

The classic figures have been done twice already. I like the new line and it blows away the original figure wise. But the classic will always be speacil cause it was first. When I was a kid this toyline was a major deal for me. Now this new line is a major deal being that I only collect Motu.
    Check out the Masters Of The Galaxy Podcast. And also check out Masters of the Galaxy Facebook page

Follow me on Twitter.... BrianOzone
    My feedback threadhttp://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...or-Brian-Ozone

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Ugh. I'd rather have accurate, paint-washed, well articulated new figures, than the old ones with the rubber bands that will eventually wear away.

If they released another wave of re-issues, I'd certainly buy them all (I bought 2 of all of them last time, except the 10 pack, which I bought 1 of). But for now, I'm perfectly content with the MOTUC line, and the inflatable power sword was a great surprise, too!
    Uncle Montork has returned from Trolla!

Also the commemoratives were to commemorate 25 years of MOTU, I don`t see them commemorating 27 years, also the fact that we are on line #4 since then (commemoratives, 200x, stactions and now MOTUC) I sold off the original line to collect the 200x line, do you really think I want more of what I sold off? Makes ne sense at all.

2002/DC He-Man Video guy
    Quote Originally Posted by adam03 View Post
    Also the commemoratives were to commemorate 25 years of MOTU, I don`t see them commemorating 27 years
    Commemoratives came in 2000. From 1982 it makes 18years.

Classics kinda missed the 25th mark last year, but that's okay.
    He-Man & She-Ra fan and contributor to official Dark Horse MOTU/POP books

· ToonJukka - Youtube Channel with He-Man/She-Ra videos; Origins, Trivia, Top5 lists and more!

Quote Originally Posted by Jukka View Post
    Commemoratives came in 2000. From 1982 it makes 18years.

Classics kinda missed the 25th mark last year, but that's okay.
    Whoops! typo He Man was originally released in 1981, the commemoratives were produced in 2001 to coincide with the 20 year anniversary of MOTU. 2008-1981 = 27

Well for me, I really don't like the original figures, but I love the new Classics line.

I see what you are saying as well. I mean I love the new classic line from what I have seen so far but then again why not just continue with the reissues. To me the lines are close enough where it wouldn't matter to me about articulation.

Quote Originally Posted by nutnog View Post
    I see what you are saying as well. I mean I love the new classic line from what I have seen so far but then again why not just continue with the reissues. To me the lines are close enough where it wouldn't matter to me about articulation.
    Really? I mean I don't think they look at all alike. I mean obviously they are the same characters, but they're night and day to me.

Chris here...

Quote Originally Posted by BCI Guy View Post
    Really? I mean I don't think they look at all alike. I mean obviously they are the same characters, but they're night and day to me.
    Me as well - the sculpts I've seen so far are so much more detailed than the original 1980s figures! Don't get me wrong, I adore the original 1980s line, but there's a bigger difference between that and the MOTU Classics than just scale and articulation!

If Mattel released more commemoratives, to be honest I doubt I'd buy them - I didn't buy the last bunch, just because in the vast majority of cases I already owned the original 1980s versions! But, I will 100% be picking up MOTU Classics as and when I can!

Take care...
    Part of the "Kidult" craze long before it was a thing! : )

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by BCI Guy View Post
    For me too! I don't get the whole "they look like the 80's figures" complaints. To me the 80's line and the Classics line are two totally different animals.

Door with dental plan. Jawbridge's Avatar
    These new figures truly got me excited more than the 200X and Staction releases. They are great looking, and have a certain mystery about what will come out next, and the promise of releasing figures never before released! Wow, it's still blowing my mind. But in all honesty, when I saw the commemorative figures on the selves those years back, my heart jumped, it was AWESOME! There will never be anything that tops seeing those old figures on the selves... ever. If they said right now they would release the entire collection all over again, I would quickly redirect my budget. And I have all the american release stuff, most of the variants, and many of them carded, and that wouldn't stop me from buying them just like it didn't stop me from buying the last commemoratives.

Now, that being said, I think this new series will dazzle us all in the next year or so to come, provided it stays alive. If they don't save all the big guns for the cons (package variations DRIVE ME NUTS!!!), and constantly release the figures as promised, this will build to be a very important line. I see right now they are focussing on the originals, so the 8 back is what we should expect firstly, but with a few mixed in goodies, to give the line some hype.

So I'm happy about the future of this line. Though it has yet to impress me, I absolutely know it will!