Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: He-Man and Skeletor Variant Discussion (Battle Armor, Thunder Punch, etc; all brands)

He-Man and Skeletor Variant Discussion (Battle Armor, Thunder Punch, etc; all brands)

Here's a thought that just hit me.
    (Hey, I'm a little slow sometimes. Especially when my mind is drunk on Green Goddess-ness.)

What if we're only getting 10 new characters a year because they decide to do a He-Man and Skeletor variant each year?

How do you feel about that?

Me personally?
    I think I'd be okay with some variants. Battle Armor variants for sure because they looked so cool... But would I want them every year? Probably not. I wouldn't mind them every other year though.
    They absolutely would make perfect Con Exclusives.
    The other thing is, if this line doesn't really rely on, or feature gimmicks or action features, then what good is Thunder Punch He-Man other than he has a unique harness?
    But then Terror Claws Skeletor would be really cool, as would Dragon Blaster.
    And these all definitely fall in the "Classics" Mantra.

But please... Do not bring back the 200X variants for the most part. We don't want to bring up the bad tastes of the Smash blade variants.

However, an Ice Armor He-Man and a Fire Armor Skeletor could look rather neat in the retro-style...
    We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. -George Bernard Shaw
    Nate Baertsch Illustration Blog

I don't understand why everyone wants varients of the same figures. Wouldn't you want as many different characters. I would. If we get 10-14 figures a year including the con exclusives thats really not that many figures. And then every year we 2 hemans or skeleys. I rather have as many characters first then to your varients.
    http://http://80sMasters.com/
    Is is now up and live please check it out and spread the word please!!!

Follow me on Twitter
    BrianOzone
    My feedback threadhttp://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...or-Brian-Ozone

Undoubtedly there will be some variants, but I wouldn't expect too many He-Man & Skeletor variants in the early stages. Remember a lot of people blame hte death of 200X on just that.

I agree with you guys for the most part.

If we had to vote today:

Include HM and SK variants?
    Or Give us as many characters as possible?

I'd vote for the latter.

BUT... For many, they loved that Battle Armor He-Man more than the standard.
    There wasn't any complaining that I know of, for the variants of the 80's.

I feel like the 80's variants definitely have "Classics" appeal.

Still, like you two... If I had to vote for one or the other, I'd say bring on the characters.
    We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. -George Bernard Shaw

Only if they still have action features.

Badass with a bottle Drunken Fist's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Baena View Post
    They absolutely would make perfect Con Exclusives.
    As soon as they mntioned 2 con exclusives per year, this is what I thought of. I'd prefer a unique character, but that would be a great way to get the classic variants out there without taking over a monthly figure slot. Plus, there probably wouldn't be the usual uproar that we normally get with con exclusives if the exclusives were variants. (Of course, it's probably folly to underestimate your average action figure collector's ability to complain. )

I'd love battle armor variants, and I'd also be interested in seeing live action movie variants, and maybe even a MOTUC style of the 200x He-Man and Skeletor. But those are the only He-Man and Skeletor variants I'd be interested in.
    Rigby the Barbarian - Swords, Sorcery and Sarcasm

The battle armor are the only cool varients. But let's get at least half way thru the line before shoving varients at us.

Follow me on Twitter
    BrianOzone

Co-Creator of the NV
    Instead of variants, I think they should sell "limited edition accessory packs". For instance they could sell a pack with armors for battle armor he-man and skeletor, since the armors are supposed to be removeable anyways.

yes. they would make the PERFECT variants for conventions. it is the main two so there is a bigger awareness at cons and therefor much more press than a blue winged stratos.

i would KILL for the NA version of skeletor and he-man!!!!

skeletor
    battle armor
    terror claws
    dragon blaster
    NA version/laser light
    disk of doom

he-man
    battle armor
    NA version/laser light

these are the only versions i'd want
    I want NA Skeletor and Rio Blast and I want them now!

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Latveria View Post
    Instead of variants, I think they should sell "limited edition accessory packs". For instance they could sell a pack with armors for battle armor he-man and skeletor, since the armors are supposed to be removeable anyways.
    This was brought up in another thread and I think its a great idea. Its a win win situation. The varient lovers get there battle armor and then the toyline can continue without the same characters being made. It was said there will be no action features so a weapons armor pack would make sense. Mattel will make money and all is happy.

Follow me on Twitter
    BrianOzone

I do like that weapons pack idea.

One con you could have Skeletor's pack.

Battle Armor,
    An "energy blade", (Think early minicomics)
    Dragon with metalic purple/pink armor,
    Claws,
    Cool Laser (LED) light staff.

Another con could have He-Man's pack.

Battle Armor,
    New Harness (orange with the "H"),
    Flying Fists weapon,
    Glow in the Dark Grayskull ring!
    Cool Laser (LED) light sword.

Those could be VERY cool!

I just want 1 regular release of every character first. Then maybe a few variants ie. battle armor thunder puch etc.

AFTER we get a good assortment of characters I wouldn't mind seeing Battle Armor He-Man and Skeletor (and maybe Faker this time) and Thunder Punch He-Man.
    Uncle Montork has returned from Trolla!

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    I like the Accessory pack idea. For the original MOTU Skeletor and He-Man variants, all their chest plates and accessories can be included (one Skelly pack and one He-Man pack).

Then they can release an NA Skelly and NA He-Man individually and do the same thing (one NA Skelly pack and one NA He-Man pack).

One 200X inspired Skelly and He-Man and then the accessory packs for each to be able to make all the variants.

I'm sure Mattel will want to release at least 1 Skeletor and He-Man a year, and this sould suffice.

I have very little interest in the different versions/variants. I never cared for them much in the classic line either as a kid. Maybe after a year or so, but certainly not before that. As con exclusives would be fine though.

" … the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few … "
    " … or the one … "

{ @Lioncourt on Twitter | MastersCast | My Blog }

If it's the original variants then I'd definitely want them. After seeing the new Classics He-Man sculpt I can only imagine how cool a Thunder Punch He-man or Dragon Blaster Skeletor would be! I'm hoping the new line is successful enough to include some bonus figures beyond the 12 per year planned. The Classics sculpts for He-Man and Skeletor are already completed; so they could create new armor and accessories and add an extra release to the schedule. For example a December Christmas surprise of a Battle Armor two pack sold alongside that months original figure. That way everyones happy and those of us who want the Classic variants will have a little something extra under the tree.

Movie mayhem!
    THE VARIANTS NEED TO BE KEPT TO A MINIMUM.

I wouldn't mind seeing BA, NA, and Movie he-man... but that is it. Maybe do ONE he-man or skeletor varient a year.... but don't do he-man and skeletor in one year...

ALso I would mind a varient less if they up the number of characters we get per month.

Quote Originally Posted by Baena View Post
    I agree with you guys for the most part.

If we had to vote today:

Include HM and SK variants?
    Or Give us as many characters as possible?

I'd vote for the latter.
    I agree with you on this 100%. Even though, like many, I also got worn out on variants during the 200x line, I like the idea of HeMan/Skelly variants as con-excolusives. I also like the idea of the "variants weapons pack." The problem with this is that I'm sure Mattel realizes that they can make even more money by making the figures, (assuming that most people will buy them) than they can by putting the variant accessories into a weapons pack. Here's a thought: what about the most popular and most asked for variants (perhaps as voted on by the patrons of he-man.org ) in action figure form, and put the less popular variant pieces in a weapons pack? Seems like a win-win situation to me.

Widget
    I don't appreciate varients that serve no purpose in the first year. The intention of the line is to wrangle new fans while pleasing existing fans. Loading the line with rescupts and varients doesn't do this. Varients have their place in any line; like Commando Snake Eyes or Kung Fu Spirit.

That being said: I want to see the Skeletor. Even more? Hordak!

Collector of Toys 4 Life
    Varients? no thanks.

BA he-man would be pointless unless you could make the dents on his chest, & thunder punch would be redundant if it didn't have the ''thunder''.

I for one had my fill of varients from the last toyline. i'd rather just have accessory packs rather than shell out another $20 for a varient of a character i already have. that, i won't do.

another thing that bothers me is the sheer pointlessness of varients in the first place. If he-man is the most powerful man in the universe, why would he need special armor & other weapons in the first place? they apparently don't make him any more powerful than he already is, or he wouldn't be called the MOST powerful man in the universe.
    i could see Skeletor making various weapons & gadgets to help him try to defeat He-man, but He-man is already as strong as he can get, so he doesn't need any of that other stuff to stop Skeletor & his goons.

they've made enough varients the last time to last a lifetime. i like my 2002 he-man and ''Keldor'' figures, which are perfection to me. i'd never need another figure of those two for as long as i live.
    I'd much rather have all the various characters made first, and then if the line is still going; add a couple varients.

As for making a HM or skeletor varient each yr, not needed. very pointless imo. only do that if they want the line to end real fast like last time. get all the characters made first, then do a few other varients. since they reuse parts, i guess they're all varients in a sort of way.

the only varients they would need to make imo, would be an 80's version & myp version for each character. If they did that, i'd buy both versions.
    Lifelong fan of: MOTU, G.I.Joe, Transformers, most 'good' movies of any genre, Star Wars, oldies/classic rock & country music, WWE/WWF/WCW/NWA wrestling, old school circus sideshow performers & fictional movie 'creatures', my friends and family. oh, yes...and I love action figures!!!!!

Support MVCreations for MOTUC!!!!

The Scare is in the Glow! Scare Glow's Avatar
    Only if they were part of premium offers, exclusive, or exclusive multi-packs.

I do very much like the vintage He-Man and Skeletor variations. However, with the current release schedule and price point I don’t feel that there is any room in the line for them as regular releases.

Perhaps long after the regular editions are sold out Mattel could incorporate a new He-Man and Skeletor into the line up yearly, in addition to the month’s normal releases for fans that missed the originals.

The only variants I can tolerate (and will buy) are the armor He-Man and Skeletor. Unless the others (not too many, we don't want a billion variants/redecos like the 200X line was) are simply very well done, I really hope they don't do any more than that. What I really hope for is that Mattel gets through the main characters first before considering it, and spread them far and few between. Just my opinion.

I'll gladly buy variants as long as they are not part of the regular monthly releases and as long as they are kept to a minimum.

Keep things simple like in the 80s and release 1 variant of He-Man and the other major characters per year.

I wouldn't mind seeing them in multi-packs, since the variants usually correspond to each other.
    Proud supporter of the Snake Men.

Most Wanted: Slave Girl, Crita, Lizorr, Tyrantisaurus Rex, Great Black Wizard.
    Most Wanted Filmation: Lord Masque, Ileena, Granita, General Sunder, Teela, He-Man, Skeletor, Hordak head.

No Slave Girl? Watch us hurl!

A barbaric world without slave girls? That's truly barbaric!

MOTU Addict/Horde Wannabe Spikewolfe's Avatar
    I liked the original variants, so I'd be excited to see MOTUC interpretations of them. Imagine new Laser Power/Light variants? Those would be awesome! (original style He-Man head please!) I'd even buy 200X variants in MOTUC styles, but I'd like to see original line variants prioritized ahead of 200X variants. Finally, I'd even buy new variants! The first one that comes to mind for me is Horde Armor He-Man. Long live MOTUC!!!