View Poll Results: Do you want the PoP figures to come with two heads?

Voters
189. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES! I want the sculpted head on the figure and a "real hair" head hidden when MOC.

70 37.04%
  • NO! I only want one head with the sculpted, solid plastic hair.

119 62.96%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Two Heads for PoP figures?

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar

Two Heads for PoP figures?

I know Mattel said the PoP figures would all have sculpted hair in the MOTUC line, but do you think they should each have another head with realistic, rooted hair? This way it's a throwback to the original PoP figures from the 80's and you can choose which way you would like to display them. They're doing this with Mer-Man (one classic toy head and one classic art head), why not do the same with PoP?

After all, this is truly a Classics line. It's only fair to do this for all the PoP fans/collectors who love the 80's figures and have been CRAVING new PoP figures for decades.

It shouldn't be too costly for Mattel either. They can mold the hair separate from the head, so it would be 2 of the same head just one has real hair.

Also, it would be a nice thing for the people who prefer the look of the rooted hair, like me and probably many of the fans of PoP.

I really, REALLY hope they do this!

What do you guys think? Having a rooted/realistic head IN ADDITION to the sculpted rubber/plastic head.

For MOC collectors who do not want to see an extra head in the package, Mattel can hide the second head with "realistic" hair behind the name tag/graphic on the front. This way you wouldn't even be able to TELL there's a second head unless you open the package.

Spread the word about this thread PoP fans!

Remember, please keep it respectful people. This thread is for your specific opinion on whether or not you would like alternate heads for the PoP figures, not a thread for which figures/lines you do not want to see in MOTUC.

***Please only vote if you plan on buying the PoP figures in the MOTUC line***
    Last edited by Darkspecter; August 4, 2008 at 06:55pm.

I LOVE the extra head idea!!

Keeper of secrets beyond the legends's Avatar
    YES PLEASE!!!!

I so LOVE this idea. I can't say thank you enough for posting this poll. I really hope they read this and take action for the fans. It will be one more way they can prove they are out to please fans.
    Look for my designs on Deviant art. I am under Octobersdream. Will do commissions of anything, original to recreating any older line. Also needing POP stuff and some MoTU things aswell.

Well, seeing as how Mattel has already stated the PoP would have sculpted hair, not rooted. Isn't this kinda already been decided?
    "You can not fight the darkness He-man!"-Shokoti-the Queen of Darkness

Arizona Mazter of the Universe

Quote Originally Posted by Shokoti's Slave View Post
    Well, seeing as how Mattel has already stated the PoP would have sculpted hair, not rooted. Isn't this kinda already been decided?
    I was thinking the same thing when I read the poll options. Sculpted hair only. Which is fine by me! That She-Ra that was shown a few years back at ComiCon looked awesome with sculpted hair!

Personal Service Provider Agostinho's Avatar
    No female figure has been sculpted yet, and we are the target market. If it's something we want, why not throw it in? It's not one or the other. The rooted head would be an extra piece. Why deprive those who want it?

Um DUH!

She Ra deserves to get her classic toy honnored by having a rooted hair option. She was afterall the first action doll ever, how can they not pay homage to that?! Besides the hair and jewels are my favorite part. If they do give us this option it will make my Century.

She Ra deserves to get her classic toy honnored by having a rooted hair option. She was afterall the first action doll ever, how can they not pay homage to that?! Besides the hair and jewels are my favorite part. If they do give us this option it will make my Century.
    Last edited by Stella_Steve; August 6, 2008 at 01:49am. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Master of Power Suction Killian's Avatar
    Rooted hair would rock!

I like the hair on the classic pop figures, and it's great for customising.
    He who dies with the most MOTUC wins!

Quote Originally Posted by twinAJ1 View Post
    No female figure has been sculpted yet, and we are the target market. If it's something we want, why not throw it in? It's not one or the other. The rooted head would be an extra piece. Why deprive those who want it?
    The main reason being is noone here knows exactly how much it would cost per figure to make an extra head with rooted hair.
    "You can not fight the darkness He-man!"-Shokoti-the Queen of Darkness

Arizona Mazter of the Universe

I would love to have extra heads so I could re-root them in a RAINBOW of different colors.

i kinda would but then i would kinda prefer "dolls" like the original line with fabric clothes etc, however i kno that aint gonna happen.

i think the figures suit the sculpted hair better so im kinda torn
    selling entire she-ra collection including rareitys. get in touch if you are intrested in anything.

Skeletors evil colorist Predabot's Avatar
    Hmm. Nah, no rooted hair. Just give me a regular head with sculpted hair. We want the figures to fit in with the rest of the line, guys.

Yeah, ok it's an extra head. But the thing is, doesn't extras like that take away from any eventual extra accessories? Couldn't a possible head, also be a Loo-Kee or perhaps a Kowl?

I'd rather want something like that, than an extra head.
    Last edited by Predabot; August 6, 2008 at 02:50pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Predabot View Post
    Yeah, ok it's an extra head. But the thing is, doesn't extras like that take away from any eventual extra accessories? Couldn't a possible head, also be a Loo-Kee or perhaps a Kowl?

I'd rather want something like that, than an extra head.
    I suppose you could look at it like that, but there's only one Loo-Kee and one Kowl. Every PoP girl would have an extra head. If Mattel could make the Filmation characters, we could get Twiggets, Kon-Ceals and the other ones (Bo and Dee) but that's not possible.

A lot of the PoP fans would like the extra head for nostalgia sake (what this line is completely based on), so they have more head/neck movement and some of us just prefer the look, like me. I want BOTH heads.

Nostalgia, smalgia

oh, Darkspecter, you just want to comb some new hair-dos!!!

I vote yes... UNLESS it meant no action features.

I know they've said no action features... but if the line is a success, they may change their minds... I have a feeling that the first 12 figures are going to be non-action feature ones... so that if those features ARE added, we wouldn't have a Ram Man without spring action, etc.
    A Want List of Sorts: Angella, Sssqueeze, Blast Attack, Multi-Bot, Peekablue, Veena, Calix, Evilseed, Mara, Point Dread & The Talon Fighter... and all the other POP & NA characters.

Quote Originally Posted by bcrduke View Post
    Nostalgia, smalgia

oh, Darkspecter, you just want to comb some new hair-dos!!!

Rooted hair gives endless possibilities for posing, windblown look, etc. while looking purdy at the same time. That's why I prefer it. I LOVE my 200X She-ra.

I too am concerned about the lack of action features/what Mattel considers an action feature. Scare Glow NEEDS to glow in the dark. As does Evil-Lyn's wand (or at LEAST the orb), Glimmer's staff and crown and Sweet Bee's antenna and her wings. Also, Peekablue's wings need to be able to fold up and expand. I hope we see all those things.

No. Too expensive. I would rather have plastic sculpted hair, like Teela. It looks better anyways.
    Last edited by Captain Atkin; September 12, 2008 at 01:56pm.

Heroic Warrior
    For my own collection I only want sculpted hair. But I want everyone here on the forums to be happy with these toys so I vote for 2 heads. Have your barbie doll hair if you must. I think this is a great way to make all of us happy. Extra accessories as I have been very vocal about are the way to make this line stand out.
    N8

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Atkin View Post
    No. Too expensive. I would rather have plastic sculpted hair, like Teela.
    It wouldn't be too expensive. They have two completely different heads coming with Mer-Man, which means 2 moulds. If Mattel moulds the hair separately from the head, they can use the same head for the rooted version, meaning one mould. Moulding the sculpted hair separately would also mean they could use the same hair on different heads saving even more money that way as well.

I think the sculpted hair looks better.
    Mike Jr. 1983-2008 the void left will never be filled. Rest in Peace Brother.
    Sgt Weigand

eBay Feedback

" Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elswhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
    --Calvin and Hobbes

Shera's secret heartthrob oulala's Avatar
    I'm totally against rooted hair, and here's why...

1) Scale: Rooted hair on BIG FIGURES (12 inches) can look ok. But rooted hair on such small, 6 inches figures looks terrible. It's a scale thing. There's no way around it. Just like real cloth cotton looks good on real people, the same material used on a small toy is too thick and looks nothing like the real thing. If you plait it, it will be as thick as a real plait on someone but on a head 10 times smaller. Same for the rooting: I was looking at my old POP collection and the hair rooting pattern - the lines of holes in the skull - are way too spaced out. On a Barbie it works cause the scale is bigger, on such small scale, it makes most POP look slightly bald. Especially Mermista...

2) Different heads: Then you have the problem with the soft vinyl they have to use for the rooted heads. These heads and the paint they use for that particular plastic cannot be as sculpted as hard plastic. Just look at the 200X exclusive She-ra, compare it to Evil Lyn. That doll plastic doesn't do well with fine sculpting details. And the make up is a little too strong, because you cannot use the same paint.

3) MOTUC as a whole: I'm a POP fan, a She-raver so don't get me wrong, but it seems a lot of POP fans on the forum seem to expect a 'POP commemorative series'. This is not the case. The whole idea with MOTUC is to create a unified world in which MOTU, POP and NA can co exist and blend on the same shelf. Rooted hair on the new MOTUC POP figures would make them too different from the rest of the figures. So I'm totally against POP characters having rooted hair. If you look at the DCUC female figures - batgirl, supergirl or the upcoming Wonder woman - they'd look absolutely wrong with rooted hair! It wouldn't be the same line.

4) AGEING: rooted hair doesn't age very well. My POP vintage toys from the 80's are in excellent condition but Glimmer, Mermista and poor Sweet Bee look like they've just been blown up by explosives. It reminds me of that ragged, scummy quality second hand Barbies often have when you see them in a market...

Quote Originally Posted by motu77 View Post
    I think the sculpted hair looks better.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emiliano View Post
    The harsh reality is that the Horde were originally intended for POP, and they have always been intended for POP. Filmation developed the characters for the POP cartoon. It's a fact.

i think if this line is going to pay homage to the vintage counterparts then they should have rooted hair.if mattel's reason to reuse bodyparts is becuase they they did it in the eighty's then she-ra and gang should have rooted hair like they did in eighties, plus we might get accessories we can wear in our hair too!! sorry i hope its allowed for newbies to crack jokes.
    seriously though i dont mind either way but i would like the rooted hair i thinked it looked good on the she-ra sdcc exclusive.

instead of two heads they could also do maybe interchangable hair caps one with rooted and one with scuplted so they wouldnt have to make two heads.dunno just thinking out loud.
    Last edited by Vorgon; August 21, 2008 at 11:18pm. Reason: thought of another idea

Quote Originally Posted by oulala View Post
    I'm totally against rooted hair, and here's why...

1) Scale: Rooted hair on BIG FIGURES (12 inches) can look ok. But rooted hair on such small, 6 inches figures looks terrible.
    I think the rooted hair on the 80's PoP figures looks fine. Only a few of mine have "bald spots". Almost all my figures have thick, beautiful hair. These are 2nd hand, been played with figures, not just opened ones.

2) Different heads: Then you have the problem with the soft vinyl they have to use for the rooted heads. These heads and the paint they use for that particular plastic cannot be as sculpted as hard plastic. Just look at the 200X exclusive She-ra, compare it to Evil Lyn. That doll plastic doesn't do well with fine sculpting details. And the make up is a little too strong, because you cannot use the same paint.
    I made reference to this in my #18 post. They could use the EXACT same head, and sculpt the hair separately. On the rooted head, they could either do what they did with 200X She-Ra (soft vinyl, which looks fine) or the exact same head with a soft vinyl scalp only. You'd never see the scalp after it's done anyhow.

3) MOTUC as a whole: I'm a POP fan, a She-raver so don't get me wrong, but it seems a lot of POP fans on the forum seem to expect a 'POP commemorative series'. This is not the case. The whole idea with MOTUC is to create a unified world in which MOTU, POP and NA can co exist and blend on the same shelf. Rooted hair on the new MOTUC POP figures would make them too different from the rest of the figures. So I'm totally against POP characters having rooted hair. If you look at the DCUC female figures - batgirl, supergirl or the upcoming Wonder woman - they'd look absolutely wrong with rooted hair! It wouldn't be the same line.
    A rooted head would be in ADDITION to the sculpted hair. It's been confirmed by Mattel they ARE sculpting the hair out of plastic. A lot of PoP fans, me included, would like to see an additional head with rooted hair paying homage to the 80's figures (like how Mer-Man and Man-At-Arms will have two heads). It's only fair since most of the figures only come with a shield and a comb, which all the girls share (no unique molds).

That being said, of course they will fit in with MOTUC. They already have the sculpted head confirmed. For those who aren't interested in the rooted head, they could give it away or sell it to someone else.

DCUC never had figures with rooted hair. PoP is known for their rooted hair. If they don't include an additional rooted head, to me, it would be like making the new classic He-Man, but giving him the 200X Power Sword; not very classic.

4) AGEING: rooted hair doesn't age very well. My POP vintage toys from the 80's are in excellent condition but Glimmer, Mermista and poor Sweet Bee look like they've just been blown up by explosives. It reminds me of that ragged, scummy quality second hand Barbies often have when you see them in a market...
    All my PoP girls have beautiful hair, even the TERRIBLE looking ones I've gotten in big figure lots. Comb hair to untangle, wash with soap and they look brand new when dry.
    Last edited by Darkspecter; August 22, 2008 at 12:13am.

I only want sculpted hair. I've never thought rooted hair looked good on action figures.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by BCI Guy View Post
    I only want sculpted hair. I've never thought rooted hair looked good on action figures.
    Ditto'd for truth. Besides, rooted hair takes these a little too close to doll territory IMO.

Heroic Warrior
    I'd been MIA for a while, this is freaking awesome news!!! Oh gosh I can't wait!!!! I second the vote for molded hair. I love the 80's figures, but mostly because I played with them as kids. I want some bad-ass, sexy She-ra figures to sit on my desk at work, that will rival my friend's other various super hero figures. So sculpted hair, please.

My only PLEA is this: I get that the boobs will be pronounced. I like boobs, actually. But if these figures have boobs the size of watermelons, or look the same in terms of ridiculousness factor, I will be seriously upset. I also wouldn't be able to put them on my desk at work, and my entire current She-ra collection is at work so that would be such a shame! So please, please take that into consideration. Also, easy on the make-up!

Beyond that... again this is so awesome. I'll be buying some of the Motu figs for sure (He-Man, Skeletor..... surely they'll do Teela and the Sorceress)

Cyn