Thread: Grayskull's Cape Number

Grayskull's Cape Number

So I was curious, solely because I know we won't get a definitive answer, does everyone have the same number their KG cape? My regular says 1538NO and my variant says 1588NO. As an aside, my Lobo and Giganta both have 1588NO, so I am assuming this number is irrelevant seeing as all figures were packed in separate cases.

Heroic Warrior
    My regular also says 1588NO. My variant has not arrived from ebay yet... my guess is theya re irrelevant.

I may have figured it out. Went to a collectible toy store today and the guy said its the number on the outside boxes that counts. On the bottom of the box is a stamped number. If it is 1588NO, You have a regular KG. If it is 1538NO, it is a variant. I checked my open boxes when i got home and it seems to hold true. I also checked my MIP ones where I broke the tape to see what was inside. I know those are regular KG, and they all have 1588NO on the bottom. So I think that's what it's for. Too bad I didn't know that before

Wow, wait so we can find out if we have the variant without opening the box first?
    Good Traders: Domercon, parat0r, cjclifford, marndt8448, prime371, AGE, Grunaura, boggs32, phoenixinfernos1, jesstertwo, Bellamy, Trap-Jay, Steph, Kinnikuman76, zodak74, IceWolf, CHRIS-ORION, Him-Man, layz909e, Master Eternian, Peter, LORD FALLEN ELDOR, Lord Anubis, Son Of Keldor, Tinkerbeee, Pyre, Christop, bigassbuzz, MaxGoof, JeMaBo2, G2Figures, General Hawk 7, Mern-Ra, Cubsteven, lemure77

ACN someone confirm this? I have three coming from matty.

Heroic Warrior
    I can contradict this... my chase arrived from ebay and had 1588NO on the box

Quote Originally Posted by shockman View Post
    ACN someone confirm this? I have three coming from matty.
    The guy at the shop had a couple grayskulls himself he had confirmed through this method were the regular. To tell the story as I was told it, someone who worked for this store and went to the con figured it out. This guy had apparently purchased enough to where he isolated the 1538NO packages he had and opened them to find the variant. When I got home, I confirmed it with the box I know my variant came out of.

I would be interested in knowing this as well
    Contact me if you have MOTU Merchandise Items for sale or trade! Please view a sampling of what I am looking for Here:
    http://photobucket.com/albums/v400/j...ase%20Contact/
    http://photobucket.com/albums/v400/j...need%20Europe/

Quote Originally Posted by ash View Post
    I can contradict this... my chase arrived from ebay and had 1588NO on the box
    well this arrived as I was typing. Was your eBay auction sealed, or was the tape on the outer box removed?

Hmmm it would be cool to know the definite on this, got one coming myself.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by bezem View Post
    well this arrived as I was typing. Was your eBay auction sealed, or was the tape on the outer box removed?
    Sealed, doesn't mean that they couldn't have opened it and swapped the box, but i doubt it

Door with dental plan. Jawbridge's Avatar
    I got a Reg and Variant sealed from SDCC, both w/ 1588NO stamped into the bottom. At best it might mean that all 1538NOs are variants, and the rest are mixed.

Is the 3 not just a badly stamped 8?

The painted number on the inside of the reg cape matches the box, maybe 3 is a VARIANT!! I'm not taking Bronze out unless I get another from Matty. Hopefully they'll be here Monday or so.

When I was taking the tape off, I noticed the bronze box tape had white stress marks lined in it, and was a bit harder to get off, and a bit more sloppy. I started thinking to myself, what if they were hand boxed or part of a separate assembly line. But two figures is far from sufficient enough to make comparisons.

I will say the box is much much more fun opened, and the fact that it closes back up nicely should make peeps happy, but I understand the AFA crowd, 'cause not everybody has access to an x-ray machine, and even if you did, try convincing AFA you actually had it passed through. What are you going to do, get a notarized photocopy?

good luck on this one guys, seems to be a though one.
    Last edited by Jawbridge; August 2, 2008 at 10:50pm.

Of the 5 that i got, I opened 4. Two were chase, and 2 were regular. They ALL had the 1588NO stamped into the bottom. In fact, all 5 do.

Quote Originally Posted by Binx4life View Post
    Of the 5 that i got, I opened 4. Two were chase, and 2 were regular. They ALL had the 1588NO stamped into the bottom. In fact, all 5 do.
    any further developments on this box code thing?

Someone at the con told me the number method was how you could tell.
    But later on, we saw no correlation between the number and if it was a chase or not.
    We saw both regulars and chases under both numbers.