Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why are people excited that some MOTUC figures will be coming with 3 toed-feet?

Heroic Warrior

Why are people excited that some MOTUC figures will be coming with 3 toed-feet?

Hey everyone, I'm trying to figure out why so many people are happy that guys like Zodak, Mer Man, and Skeletor will have 3 toes, like the old school figures. Now, with Mer Man, it kinda makes sense because thet sort of resemble flippers when you think about it. But, with Skeletor and Zodak, who are still human based, wasn't it just lazy toymaking back in the day? I like that with the new Beastman figure, his feet actually have 5 individual toes, unlike the 80's figure. I'm really starting to did the new figs, but going back to 3 toes is a step back IMO. It might work on the Simpsons, where they have 4 fingers and 4 toes, but that rule should not apply to the world of MOTU.

Quote Originally Posted by grenadaspice View Post
    But, with Skeletor and Zodak, who are still human based...
    Admittedly I'm a bit rusty on my MoTU mythology, but I'm pretty sure Zodak is not human based. I thought he was alien. Of course, if I'm wrong, then you absolutely have a valid point

Door with dental plan. Jawbridge's Avatar
    ...wasn't it just lazy toymaking back in the day?
    I don't think it was lazy, they had regular feet all ready made too ya know. It was just to show that they were the evil peeps. Even good ol' Zodac was in the very very beginning evil I think.

wasn't it just lazy toymaking back in the day?
    No, it was economical toy-making, and this line is not intended to be updated versions, we already got that w/200X. This line is a throwback, so the similarities to the vintage line are welcomed by many, even if they don't make sense.
    Quote Originally Posted by mister_e View Post
    Admittedly I'm a bit rusty on my MoTU mythology, but I'm pretty sure Zodak is not human based. I thought he was alien. Of course, if I'm wrong, then you absolutely have a valid point
    Yeah, Zodak was an alien, but so was everyone on Eternia. If he's not human, neither is anyone else. Regardless of his planet of origin, it doesn't make any sense for that particular character to have wacky three toed clawed feet. He's wearing boots for Pete's sake! But, like I said, people don't care what makes sense, (at least I don't, and I know there are people who agree w/me).

Heroic Warrior
    True, but like I mentioned in my original post, they took the time to give this new Beastman (and I assume Stratos as well) 5 individual toes instead of the old school solid foot, so they are doing some reasonable updating with the classic appeal intact. Nothing wrong with looking back at the past for present day/future sucess, but we're all grown up. Certain characters can get away with missing appendages, but not everyone IMO.

Door with dental plan. Jawbridge's Avatar
    .. they took the time to give this new Beastman (and I assume Stratos as well) 5 individual toes instead of the old school solid foot
    The old chool solid foot still had 5 toes , and this is an updated three "toes," but I see where you're coming from too, and I'm sure they'll make a few subtle changes. I wonder if it has anything to do w/ them not being able to use Filmation looking characters. 'Cause they all had normal feet, didn't they?

But it's probably more that they want to keep the sacred classic line as close as possible, or they'll have a riot on there hands . They'll probably catch flak either way. Good luck with all that Matty.

3 toes are better then 5. I guess. Less toenail clipping.
    http://Motu.com.co
    Is is now up and live please check it out and spread the word please!!!

Follow me on Twitter
    BrianOzone
    My feedback threadhttp://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...or-Brian-Ozone

Quote Originally Posted by Brad2dbone View Post
    Yeah, Zodak was an alien, but so was everyone on Eternia. If he's not human, neither is anyone else. Regardless of his planet of origin, it doesn't make any sense for that particular character to have wacky three toed clawed feet. He's wearing boots for Pete's sake! But, like I said, people don't care what makes sense, (at least I don't, and I know there are people who agree w/me).
    Why doesn't it make sense? The toys came before everything else. To me, the classic toy is the de facto standard for how that character should look. That's why I love the MOTUC figures that we've seen thus far. Of course, that's just my opinion and others have different opinions. That's cool. Lucky for me, however, it seems the designers of the MOTUC seem to share my opinion

I like Zodac with the three-toed look. To me, that's the original, evil Zodac.

I don't think Zodac was meant to be from Eternia (maybe he was from Infinita like Skeletor?).

Just because he appears humanoid, doesn't mean that he is the same species as say He-Man or Teela.
    SUPERHEMANMIKE

"It tasted good..." - Gwildor

Certain characters can get away with missing appendages, but not everyone IMO.
    3 toes is not "missing appendages" - it's a stylistic design choice. If your King Grayskull figure shows up with only 1 leg, that's a missing appendage.

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERHEMANMIKE View Post
    I like Zodac with the three-toed look. To me, that's the original, evil Zodac.

I don't think Zodac was meant to be from Eternia (maybe he was from Infinita like Skeletor?).

Just because he appears humanoid, doesn't mean that he is the same species as say He-Man or Teela.
    Yes! This is what I was trying to say earlier. SUPERHEMANMIKE just worded it better than I did

it appears that the new figs are based on the original painted card backs, and not necessarily the toys. Beastman has 5 toes on the cardback, Stratos doesn't... it will be interesting to see what his feet look like. Look at a vintage card back and then at the MOTUC figs and you'll see what is going on. A lot of fans, myself included, loved the painted card backs so this is a nod to those fans, and I really appreciate it. And no, nothing makes sense, and it really shouldn't. MOTU is a fantasy, and some folks have 3 toed feet, some guys can speak but have no lips, so c'mon... seriously does ANYTHING in MOTU make sense? No, that's what makes it great in my opinion. I think the 200x series was the more realistic line, this one is old school looking, just as good imo. Both lines are great.
    I will NEVER believe that Mermista beheaded Mer-Man! You sit on a throne of lies.... and smell of beef and cheese, bio writer!!!!

Skeletors evil colorist Predabot's Avatar
    Since the new figs are partly based on that card-back and mini-comic art, I'm actually hoping for a different set of feet for Skelly.

I want to see the bare feet, like in the above-mentioned art, and the actual prototype and concept-drawing, and I want them to feature FOUR to FIVE toes instead of just 3. Come on Mattel! Next to He-man he's the main character! Don't skimp out on him.

At least give us an extra pair of feet or knees.

Yeah, I would love skelly to have the shin guards from the early comics, and bare feet. I am also wondering if they will ever make a blue Mer-Man variant. He is painted blue in a few of the early comics, as well as green. I would definitely buy 2 Mer-man figs, if this was to occur.
    I will NEVER believe that Mermista beheaded Mer-Man! You sit on a throne of lies.... and smell of beef and cheese, bio writer!!!!

grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar
    Nobody's skimping anywhere. These figures are based on the original designs, which had feet like these. I'm not really sure what the question is here.
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

Quote Originally Posted by scott metzger View Post
    Nobody's skimping anywhere. These figures are based on the original designs, which had feet like these. I'm not really sure what the question is here.
    Don't you know? Toes are EXPENSIVE! Anyplace that they can shave a few digits off the price...

Quote Originally Posted by BCI Guy View Post
    Don't you know? Toes are EXPENSIVE! Anyplace that they can shave a few digits off the price...

Ha Ha...Good one
    Contact me if you have MOTU Merchandise Items for sale or trade! Please view a sampling of what I am looking for Here:
    http://photobucket.com/albums/v400/j...ase%20Contact/
    http://photobucket.com/albums/v400/j...need%20Europe/

It`s because they are based of the 8 backs and on the 8 backs they all had 3 toes, hence the reason the new figs have 3 toes as well. Silly huh?

I missed Zodac's feet on the 200x version. I always figured him for an extra-eternian alien so it didn't bother me that he had claws on hiss three digit tootsies.
    Signed by-- ME!

---
    Did I ever grow up? Probably not. I'm sure the day-glo socks gave it away anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by mister_e View Post
    Why doesn't it make sense? The toys came before everything else. To me, the classic toy is the de facto standard for how that character should look. That's why I love the MOTUC figures that we've seen thus far. Of course, that's just my opinion and others have different opinions. That's cool. Lucky for me, however, it seems the designers of the MOTUC seem to share my opinion
    I think you misunderstood my post. I said it doesn't make sense, but I also made it clear that I don't want it to make sense. I love Zodak's feet.

Quote Originally Posted by RyDell View Post
    nothing makes sense, and it really shouldn't. MOTU is a fantasy, and some folks have 3 toed feet, some guys can speak but have no lips, so c'mon... seriously does ANYTHING in MOTU make sense? No, that's what makes it great in my opinion.
    Exactly.

I never cared for the 3 toe'd feet. I know it is how they were originally, but I never really was all that thrilled about it. That's just me I guess. I'll still be gettin' Skelly and Zodac despite their mutant feet.

Heroic Warrior Orko's Magic Hat's Avatar
    3 Toes are better and more freaky than plain old boring boots!

Quote Originally Posted by BCI Guy View Post
    BCI Guy nailed it!

Okay, yeah, bad joke. *leaving the thread now* ...lol

Evil Overlord of Veg Vegtablesam's Avatar
    Im looking forward to seeing how Skelly turns out, whether he will have the three toes. They look awesome on Merman, and whilst I dont dig them as much on Zodac, I can appreciate the retroness. I guess im a bigger Zodak fan, I loved what 200X did with him.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad2dbone View Post
    I think you misunderstood my post. I said it doesn't make sense, but I also made it clear that I don't want it to make sense. I love Zodak's feet.
    You're right. I did misunderstand. Sorry 'bout that