Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Who should publish new mini-comics or a new regular series?

Quote Originally Posted by Shokoti's Slave View Post
    I agree 100%! The original mythos of MOTU, where Grayskull was an empty fortress, He-Man was basically a wandering barbarian warrior, and Skeletor was far more ruthless was the superior comic IMHO.
    YES! With the 2 halves of the power sword and Battle Cat being a jungle cat He-Man befriended, I would LOVE to see this storyline return!
    Uncle Montork has returned from Trolla!

That's what's great about He-Man coming with 2 swords; it lets you act out which storyline you preferred: early minicomics, or Prince Adam transformation storyline.
    Last edited by RocketPunch; August 4, 2008 at 04:49pm.

What I want is a fresh view comic wise. I don't want it to resemble the 200X comic style and I do not want it to resemble the classic mini comic style. I would also like it to be darker, a la how the movie sounds it will be. These figures will be bought by adults for the most part. And darker does not mean violence, blood, and curse words. These decisions will most likely be made by Mattel, so listen up.

Can DC Comics do this? Maybe. Can MVCreations do this? Maybe. More importantly, can Mattel convey a proper message to the comic creators?

As long as MVCreations can adapt to a new personality, that of the mini comics, and stick to actual canon, I'm sure they can do a good job. I'd love to see Emiliano challenge himself, design wise, for a new beast. I want great flow for storytelling. An excellent writer at the pen is also needed.

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    Mini-comics:

Emiliano and I are chomping at the bit to handle mini-comics if Mattel ever does them.
    They are a different beast from a monthly comic.

We'd deliver more passion than any other professional comic studio, and probably be more affordable too.

For me, I'd love to play the part of Lee Nordling... editor and the guy hiring out talent.
    It wouldn't be just Emiliano and I doing the art and writing, I'd pull from talent here and elsewhere if that talent is up to snuff, affordable, and approved by Mattel.

Part of the fun of the mini-comics was the variety of story and creative teams.
    That also enables you to not be working on mini-comics 24/7 like a monthly licensed comic.

Plus, we'd be delivered conditions to work with per mini-comic, which makes it SO much easier and a lot of fun...

Single, stand-alone issues,
    fewer pages, fewer panels than a monthly comic,
    that center around the figure in the package with specific outlined story guidelines...
    That's what I want to work on.
    Wouldn't it be beautiful if mini-comics were drawn by .orgers! Talk about a foot in the door!!!

grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar
    I truthfully would prefer all of the mini-comics be done by one team, mainly Val and Emiliano. I can't see anyone capturing the feel of MOTU better after seeing their work for the 2002 books. And they don't really need a life anyway, right?

It would be a challenge, though, as you couldn't really fit King Grayskull or the Goddess into the Filmation-esque stories the original minis started doing after the first few. You'd likely need an Elseworlds approach, with stand alone stories not really connected to a single continuity. It would be very interesting to see what new twists Val could put on some old ideas if he was given some creative room.
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

Quote Originally Posted by scott metzger View Post
    I
    It would be a challenge, though, as you couldn't really fit King Grayskull or the Goddess into the Filmation-esque stories the original minis started doing after the first few. You'd likely need an Elseworlds approach, with stand alone stories not really connected to a single continuity. It would be very interesting to see what new twists Val could put on some old ideas if he was given some creative room.
    Well, you know, I already worked out everything.
    The story we had in mind sorted all things out and fitted lot of stuff from all the continuities.
    But, aside the legal stuff with Filmation characters (I don't think stories is much of a problem, MOTU is still the same story) it's really up to Mattel to use our ideas.
    They have them, and with our storyline, there woulnd't be any need to go elseworld (if that is even possible, considering that we already have different canons)
    You probably need to keep asking Mattel if you want to see that

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    Wouldn't it be beautiful if mini-comics were drawn by .orgers! Talk about a foot in the door!!!
    Yes it would. Where do we sign up to get a shoot at that.lol Yeah I know its not anything officail, just Vals vision, but if it does happen let me know becuase I know my father would be great at it...and hes cheap..lol

Sorry the question guys .
    What is DC and DC comics?

Skeletors evil colorist Predabot's Avatar
    Detective Comics Comics (yes, two comics), is a company owned by AOL (America OnLine, an internet-company) and Warner Brothers. They own the characters Superman and Batman.

Thanks predabot

Lycan
    I think its a no brainer that Val and Emiliano should work on new mini comics.

Infact, I just assumed that if mini comics happened, they would be done by them anyway.
    What next? It seems every month lately there is something..

Oh it's it gotta be MV Creations who do the mini comics man!!

I'd like to see a slightly edgier style (something Emiliano is well capable of) and I think the lads would deliver exactly what the fans want.

Tis the obvious choice really!

I am 100% behind the idea of Mini-comics with the figures.

I am 100% behind the idea of MVCreations doing them!

I am only behind the idea of DC doing them if they use MVCreations, meaning, let Emiliano do the artwork!!! And let Val be the producer he wants to be!!!

Emiliano has the anatomical, architectural, and environmental understanding needed for a MotU comic.
    Emiliano and Val and MVCreations is the only group of people who have the background knowledge and passion for the MotU property.
    I'm more than certain that MVCreations would produce a comic at DC quality standards, I see no reason why MVCreations shouldn't get the job.

And honestly... If we're getting a minicomic with the figures once a month... while another monthly MotU title would be cool... I'm fine with just the minicomic with the figures at first... Maybe a spinnoff MotU comic later after further proven success with the line.
    We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. -George Bernard Shaw
    Nate Baertsch Illustration Blog

Living in Laker Village Uncle Dorko's Avatar
    For twenty bucks, I would really hope that MOTU Classics figures come with mini-comics. However, regardless of whether or not they are mini-comics are full comics, I would greatly prefer that they were handled by people who actually enjoyed and knew the various continuities of the franchise. Val and Emiliano are the best choices for that, IMO. MVC all the way!

Plus, if they aren't up to our standards, we can complain to them directly.
    "Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge." - Dr. Richard Dawkins

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Dorko View Post
    Plus, if they aren't up to our standards, we can complain to them directly.
    Indeed!!

Val and Emiliano: If you guys end up doing the mini-comics, please give us lots of standalone stories. Make them totally weird.

Lets just have Val and Emil do them and it WILL CHANGE THE WORLD.

Make it happen Mattel!

-Brett
    Who is trying to change the world.

={+}=

Loves MOTUC canon! PaTrIcKfOgArTy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    Mini-comics:

Emiliano and I are chomping at the bit to handle mini-comics if Mattel ever does them.
    They are a different beast from a monthly comic.

We'd deliver more passion than any other professional comic studio, and probably be more affordable too.

For me, I'd love to play the part of Lee Nordling... editor and the guy hiring out talent.
    It wouldn't be just Emiliano and I doing the art and writing, I'd pull from talent here and elsewhere if that talent is up to snuff, affordable, and approved by Mattel.

Part of the fun of the mini-comics was the variety of story and creative teams.
    That also enables you to not be working on mini-comics 24/7 like a monthly licensed comic.

Plus, we'd be delivered conditions to work with per mini-comic, which makes it SO much easier and a lot of fun...

Single, stand-alone issues,
    fewer pages, fewer panels than a monthly comic,
    that center around the figure in the package with specific outlined story guidelines...
    That's what I want to work on.

--------
    As said a couple posts above, "NO BRAINER"!!!! That's what I WANT you to work on, they're your dream and you execute it VERY well, from a management standpoint I think Mattel would be missing the mark BIG time to not line you guys up. You and Emilliano are to the comics what the 4Horsemen are to the toys, it ain't gonna be done better by ANYONE.

You've got my full support in this pursuit. I hope Mattel will soon follow and let you all handle the mini-comics. PERSIST PERSIST PERSIST
    Last edited by PaTrIcKfOgArTy; August 5, 2008 at 11:37am.

Quote Originally Posted by Baena View Post
    I am 100% behind the idea of Mini-comics with the figures.

I am 100% behind the idea of MVCreations doing them!

I am only behind the idea of DC doing them if they use MVCreations, meaning, let Emiliano do the artwork!!! And let Val be the producer he wants to be!!!

Emiliano has the anatomical, architectural, and environmental understanding needed for a MotU comic.
    Emiliano and Val and MVCreations is the only group of people who have the background knowledge and passion for the MotU property.
    I'm more than certain that MVCreations would produce a comic at DC quality standards, I see no reason why MVCreations shouldn't get the job.
    Wow, Baena actually took the words right out of my mouth!
    I am totally behind MVC handling MotU comics again.
    And with Val keeping an eye out for new talent I would love to have another go at colouring MotU comics!

Mini comics were as much a part of MotU as the Filmation toon was!
    NOW DOING CHARACTER ART COMMISSIONS - PM FOR DETAILS
    DeviantArt Gallery
    Week Daze - my webcomic
    The Return to Anwat Gar

I am 100% behind the idea of Mini-comics with the figures, doesnt´t matter who makes them, they just must look classic.

You can't have a Classics line without the mini comics. The 200x line was sadly lacking them so please give us mini comics with the MOTUC series.

I'd also love for the MVC crew to do them. They have good understanding of the characters and they have the abilty to do one shots that fit a continuity.
    Take a look at my deviantart. http://kaassouffle.deviantart.com/gallery/

That PlanetEternia.de guy Sir Reilly's Avatar
    I can't imagine anybody else doing MotUC comics than the MVCreations folks!
    If we get comics, I wouldn't want them to be done by some guys just being there cause they get paid (creating uninspired nonsense) and/or want to twist He-Man & Co into whatever they think would be cool (creating bad fanfics).
    I'd want the comics to be done by passionate folks who know the brand, its characters, canons and motivations and who would want to stay true to what the brand is about! And IMO, Val and Emil have proven during their 200x comics run, that they are the ones capable of doing all this!

MVCREATIONS FOR MOTUC COMICS!!!
    "Why's Dragstor riding on Night Stalker?" "Cause he can."

I must say I would find it also great if the comics several draftsmen would make.
    As at that time changes with the drawings, this would also have nostalgic touch.
    With the Mini comics only the story of the character should be told however, thus why.
    The comics must not look like small van Gogh.

Quote Originally Posted by Havoc View Post
    I think its a no brainer that Val and Emiliano should work on new mini comics.

Infact, I just assumed that if mini comics happened, they would be done by them anyway.

Totally agree!
    Haikus are easy
    But sometimes they don't make sense
    Refrigerator

"If I were a vegetable I'd be a radish because I'm only kind of rad."

Well, I'm in agreement with everyone else.

If mini-comics are to be done (and I "pray" they are), I'd also vote for Val and company to head them up in the art department.

I also LOVE the fact that they would/could be done by a variety of teams. I'm throwing my name in that hat if it ever does come around

Regardless though, if it comes down to who will be doing the mini-comics, I really do hope that Val and Emil are their first choice simply due to their sheer passion for the brand and the fact that we all trust what they can do!