Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Who should publish new mini-comics or a new regular series?

DC Comics? The best choice would be the people who did the last comics (Val and Emiliano aka MVCreations), they GOT it and understand the mythos.

IMO, DC would be a horrible choice, has anyone here suggesting DC actually seen what they have done with things like Thundercats vs Superman?!?

If it has to be someone other than MVCreations then go with Dark Horse who at least has a history of handling licenses (Alien, Predator, Buffy, Hellboy, Star Wars). But my first choice remains MVCreations!

DC Comics can not even manage their own big name characters without half assing it with events like 52 and Batman RIP

And most likely being a licensed property if it was sent to DC Comics it would go to a 2nd tier like Wildstorm. MOTU is 2nd tier to nothing

A look at the art cards that are in the DVD sets shows you who gets MOTU and who does not, while I respect all the artists that did cards there are some that are just not what I want for MOTU.

The figures are retro and for the fans so let the comics be done by people the fans support...
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback

A big fan of Slush Head
    The best option is MVC. If they want to put out a great comic MVC is the way to go.
    They know the property, they love MOTU, they really care about it. I really can't see anyone else doing these comics.

Mattel if you want to put a great MOTU comic you should pick MVC.
    http://mikebock.deviantart.com/
    SLUSH HEAD FINALLY SHOWED UP IN MOTUC YAY!!!

We need mini comics and we need Val & Emiliano to do em.
    Obey the whip! http://www.clicksmilies.com/s1106/ak...smiley-039.gif

Smile like you mean it.

Heroic Warrior Orko's Magic Hat's Avatar
    I agree with many others, Van and Emiliano would do a great job of the mini comics. I really enjoyed reading the MV creations comics which were done for the 200X line and was sad when the stopped, so hopefully if Mattel do go ahead with the mini comics, I'd want these guys to do them.

I would love stand-alone stories focusing on a particular character, maybe have the classic style and 200X style merged?

Oh and I like to add... It would be great to see a continuation of the MYP storyline.
    Take a look at my deviantart. http://kaassouffle.deviantart.com/gallery/

Has anyone thought of IDW? MVCreations are on the top of the list of course but IDW is becoming an independant publishing powerhouse. With titles like Transformers, Doctor Who, Ghost Whisperer and now GI Joe who else can handle licensed properties as well? They have a great reputation for being very connected to their fans, always very accessable. Their a favorite of mine and think that if MVCreations isn't chosen, they would definately be a great choice.

I cant express enlough how much I want Val and Emiliano to be the ones to bring the fans mini comics!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They understand this property in a way no other outside (non MOTU & POP fan) agancy could. They are OUR chosen representatives, having passion, drive, commitment and most importantly real love and respect for MOTU. I so want to see and read Emiliano's story that unites Filmation MOTU & POP, NA & MYP MOTU.
    They know what we the fans want, and the have their fingers on the pulse so to speak. Toyguru let them help you guys at Mattel to give us the fans and buyers what we want. They offer you access to amazing resources and artistic tallent within this community. Employing them will go a long way towards fostering an amazing relationship with this comminity. It appears that this is what you are trying to do, and it's being much appreciated by many fans. DC does similar things for fan artists of their characters, it allows the fans to feel more personally connected with the property.

The fans also feel they have a vestest intrest and ownership in MOTU. We were the ones who kept its memory alive for all these years. So while you may legally own MOTU, we also take our ownership of the brand very seriously. By bringing Val and Emiliano into the fold you will make many fans (including myself) feel confident and safe that our voices and oppinions matter and are reaching your ears. Finally, I think it would give fans reassurance that MOTU & POP is moving in the direction that everyone wants.

I don't mean for any of this to sound offensive. I have great respect for the team at Mattel now working on MOTUC, and you guys are doing an amazing job. But, by letting Val and Emiliano make the mini comics for the fans, and bringing them on board officially: my respect levels would jump 500%.

With the MOTUC team at Mattel doing their brand management and marketing thing, the 4 Horsemen sculpting the figures and futute playsets and MVC producing the mini comics: (tapping the fan skills of Eamon and Baena etc,) surely the full power of grayskull could finally be realised. The only other thing I would like to see would be Emiliano and Eamon and some other fan artists artistically involved in a monthly comic if that were ever to come about. Getting Val and Emiliano on board really is a no brainer!
    Last edited by Angel-T; August 5, 2008 at 03:37pm.
    PRO CLASSIC POP TOY DESIGN ELEMENTS BEING USED IN MOTUC TO COMPLEMENT THE FILMATION DESIGNS!!!!

I FULLY SUPPORT THE INCLUSION OF ILLUMINA IN MOTUC!!!!!

IF YOUR SICK OF WAITING FOR A LIGHT TO APPEAR AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL, STRIDE DOWN THERE AND LIGHT THE BLOODY THING YOURSELF!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Havoc View Post
    I think its a no brainer that Val and Emiliano should work on new mini comics.

Infact, I just assumed that if mini comics happened, they would be done by them anyway.
    Well we know that Val and Emiliano are the best people for the job, let's just hope Mattel feels the same way.

I'd love to see some new MVC Mini comics - I always loved the way Val and Emiliano took advantage of the whole MOTU universe when writing the new comics, and it would be great to see that continue in shorter mini-comic form.

You know i want to see the mini comics return. I've talked to Mattel about this too, specifically to bring you both back. It makes sense! Whatever you need from me, i'll do. I still owe you a voice mail message val

Heroic Warrior
    I'd prefer MVC to continue with comics if comics are done. I'd love to see them tackle the mini comics!

Bang Your Head
    Having the "Classic" figures now without the Mini-Comics is not all that "Classic".
    One of the cool things about the Original line were the Mini-Comics.

New figure a month with Mini is how it should be done!

Have MVCreations do them. Who better to handle it than them!!!

Emiliano, Eamon, Baena and a few others with great visual storytelling skills could make these things stand out with the art.

I cannot think of any other writers when it comes to the comics or cartoon other than Val who could provide an origin or short story thatinvolves the figure that the comic would come with.

Forget variant figures, bring on the Minis!!!

My website:
    www.jeremypeerboom.com

My art blog:
    http://jeremypeerboom.blogspot.com/

The Power and Honor Foundation:
    http://www.powerandhonor.org/

If/when mini comics are hopefully made, they HAVE to be done by MVC. 'Nuff said.
    Continuing the story from where the new cartoon left off.
    Click here to check out The Continuing Adventures of He-Man!

"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain."
    -Harvey Dent

Great people to deal with: TRAPPER, Oz-Scott, RacerX, Rmfd79emt, Paugh, vpbpi, Royalt1us, Buffdaddyjk, SpydeR, Dr. Smith, Lord Anubis

I am ABSOLUTELY in support of MVCreations being awarded the opportunity to do the mini-comics (should they be produced.)

The main reasons are the following:
    • They KNOW the brand
    • Are well-versed in every detail of the mythology
    • Have the expertise and experience
    • Have the trust of the MOTU community
    • Know how to work with Mattel

The points above make them the right choice.

Thanks from someone who's been a fan for 26 years!
    Hijinio
    "I wouldn't be surprised if this movie has Adam as a skinny nerd from Earth battling another skinny nerd-hacker from Earth that used an alias of Keldor. They then enter Tron-style to a cyber world called Eternia, where they control muscle-bound avatars to battle (called He-Man and Skeletor). And these same avatars come to life and continue to battle in present-day Earth." - VZX

Evil Master of Whatever Patrick Bateman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Neo View Post
    You can't have a Classics line without the mini comics. The 200x line was sadly lacking them so please give us mini comics with the MOTUC series.

I'd also love for the MVC crew to do them. They have good understanding of the characters and they have the abilty to do one shots that fit a continuity.
    Couldnīt have said it better. They could either be character-based like Icons of Evil or tell little seld-contained stories. Iīm 100% sure MVC could get both the great style and storytelling of the early MCs together.

The more I think about the minis, the more I really do think that Val and Emil would be a great team to head them up in the art department.

As for writing them, since Mattel has their own storyline set up, I'd be completely behind them writing the stories and Emil drawing them and Val colouring them (and as an artist, I also love the idea of outsourcing to different teams for different minis.)

I actually like the little bits I've read of how Mattel is handling/modifying/streamlining continuity. THe whole King Grayskull bit works for me and the He-Ro/Hordak angle is quite a neat one. I like it and am fully supportive of what they could and will come up with.

I can only imagine how easy it would be to also have a script handed to oneself (tangent: oneself... yourself... it's so redundant as it's like saying "me me" or "you you"...) and then just have to do the art.

That's sort of how I envisioned it myself.
    Mattel would say "Here's the plot points of the story: run with it" and the writer would then flesh that out into a 12 page mini-comic.

Mattel actually delivering the story plots insures they've ironed out what can and can't be done internally,
    and it would allow the creators on the mini to do their thing without worries of any legal hurdles.

It's kind of similar to what Lee Nordling said they did back with the classic minis.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
    They could either be character-based like Icons of Evil.
    IoE styled stories would be ultra sweet... They could do adult stories since it is an adult collectors line.
    Take a look at my deviantart. http://kaassouffle.deviantart.com/gallery/

why wouldnt they hire Val and Emiliano to do them? Its work for hire, theres no back end, no licensing to deal with, and they'd have guys who understand the property intimately, have a passion for it so they'll do they best job they can on every panel and not just churn it out, have a connection with the fanbase, have proven they can kick ass with the property, mattell can dictate the storyline and characters. its a no brainer.

they should be psyched Val and Emiliano WANT to do it. they'll instantly sell more figures.

HEROVERSE IS COMING...

Lionheart avatar by Baena

Avenge The Fallen Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    I'd be all in favor of Val and Emiliano doing the comics again! I have pretty much all of the monthly comics that they did (I'm sure I have every issue, just not necessarily every varient.. though I do have most of them). And I can't wait to get the Best Buy vol. 3 tonight to see that comic style back in action again!

It would be nice to have them do the mini coms as well.

Quote Originally Posted by MossMan710179 View Post
    Forget variant figures, bring on the Minis!!!
    My thoughts exactly!
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback

DC doing He-man comics would be good for Mattel, not so great for DC.

DC doesn't do many books based on other people's licenses and even when they do they don't sell that great. Their World of Warcraft comic series sells in the low 20,000's. This is WoW, about the most popular game there is with over 10 million players.

With MOTU having now media tie ins and only a few thousand fans buying toys, wouldn't mak sense for DC to run with new MOTU comics.
    Matt Moylan
    Director of Publishing, UDON Entertainment

Oh yes not good for Mattel, because He-man would BLAST all other lines away.

If Val and Emiliano are doing the comics then I'm for it 100+ percent!!! I'm not that into comics but if these guys are at the helm, then I'm gonna start reading and collecting! BRING IT ON!!!

Hey Everyone,

I really would love mini comics to be included with the figures and would love to see Val and Emiliano handle them. The team at MV Creations both understand all of the characters associated with "MotU" and the property, as well as understanding what the fan base wants. We all know just how Val and Emiliano feel about "MotU/PoP/NA".

Take Care,
    Darren
    Please, give the Toy Power Podcast a chance: Here we speak with Brian Flynn, owner of Super7 https://omny.fm/shows/toy-power/113-...-power!podcast.